Sub 3h15

Comments

• 6M including 6 sets of gentle strides just to turn the legs over a fraction.  Quite a lot of rain and, consequently, un peu de shommage.

Minni: boyfriend/partner (there should be a better term for this kind of thing when you are in your 30s/40s!) is American and did his PhD in Chicago, so he would like to show me the city.  But Chicago would mean skipping an orchestra concert, and if I decide to be good and not do that I would love to see NY.

• Gul- 4:12 am image That's dedication !

KR- speedy 14

G-dawg -100 mile a month and a 52 mile ultra ,no fear !image

Slokey-sure you will find something strenuous and exhausting to do ,you always do !

Lorenzo- nice 20 and good week.

Jools - nice decisions to make !

2 mile on treadmill last week and 2 mile on road today ,sore now and have an appointment with knee doc on Tuesday to discuss a possible op ...

• Gul - 4:12 is the middle of the night. Don't no how you do it!

G-Dawg - A 52 miler divided by 2 sounds far enough for me but good luck!

Lorenzo - Good week and a 20 too.

KR - Hah, I've had a few runs where I've got lost especially in the dark. Good pace!

Leslie - Sorry to hear that and hope you get things sorted.

Jools - Would be good to do Chciago and nice connection there with Mr Jools.image

Lorenzo/Meadower-  Things are improving albeit slowly, thanks. 12 days rest and a sports massage seems to have helped. Went for a 30 min jog on Thursday night. Had a good catch up with an old pal last night and we drank copius amounts of Ale's followed by wine and steak. Got in around 2am and thought it would be a good idea to do parkrun this a.m. It certainly wasn't a good idea and the course is tough but good to be running again and nice to see so many people out running. There are lots of runners here but not many turn up to club races. Park run seems to be very attractive for all types. I will ease back into it this week and then see if I can raise the intensity levels in a couple of weeks.

• Gul - thanks; yeah a night off last night. 15 miles is mighty for a midweek morning, great effort.
    KR - Sounds like a bit of an adventure for you, there!  Did you find another way out so you can make use of this in the future?!
    G-D, solid work there,and nice of the local geography to lend a helping hand! Hope the 15-miler went to plan.
    Lorenzo - nice one on the 20miler, and some history taken in too.  Hope you enjoyed your jaunt to the Highlands.
    GM - Oh dear, I'dve caved on the parkrun under those circumstances, well done for getting up and out there!  Good to hear the tentative steps are going well.

So, two 5k's today for me.  I decided I wanted sub 20 for this morning's parkrun, and got a sodden 19:37 (so, er, didn't take it too easy, KR!), and wanted to get close to 19 minutes this evening.  

The leader flew away so quickly they had to recruit a second bike to show the rest of us round the park in the dark; I found myself at the back this next group of six at 1k (3:32), taking second place around 3k (3:41 & 3:43), moved away during the 4th...and crossed the line with my watch showing 17:17.  And a podium spot!  Only, of course there was no podium, and frustratingly the course was short, measuring around 2.9 miles / 4.74km. 

My PB's 18:35, and this almost certainly would've been a decent chunk off it, possibly below 18:00 if it'd been the full distance.  Rather than be annoyed about that, though, I'm pretty chuffed with that sort of pace.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good midweek mlr's, GDawg & KR (albeit longer than intended) 
    another fine 20 Lorenzo - you seem relentless with these  . . . .
    Leslie - hope the appointment proves positive . . .
    good effort, Gerard, after an evening imbibing, and fingers x'd for you going forward  . . .
    meadower - excellent 5K double - shame about the short course . .

Sat morn crew all unavailable yesterday, so a solo 3 to parkrun & 3 back for  9 very soggy miles
    still feeling thurs 3 x 1 mile in my legs, but 21:23 got me 46/351 & 1st VoGit with a 75.68% WAVA  
    didn't get in until 4am today, so will drag myself out later  . . . . 

• Odd parkrun yesterday. Was pacing at 20 minutes and the last km felt way too hard to be pacing and came in at 20:04 so a few seconds down. Luckily no major trouble on the results front as the couple of guys I was pulling round for 20 sped away over the last 200 metres and came comfortably inside 20 minutes. Odd thing was looking at the results places 8 to 11 were all V50 and 5th was V50 as well so we had 6 V50 in the top 11 out of 451. I thought this getting older lark was supposed to help!

• Quite day here. 14 today and that marks the start of the 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and eventually 20 miles before Christmas. I like a slow build up: I know I can do  20 if I want to but doing the gradual build up seems to be easier. Once you hit 20 there is no real place to go other than another 20 and there will be plenty of those in 2016.

• 10 for me this morning to bring up 29 for the week. Gradual rebuild!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    4 for me to bring up 13 for the week.... I really must pull my finger out!
  • Just 3.5 miles recovery run for me with some strides thrown in for fun. Takes me to just over 55 for the week with a 2 week taper about to start.

• Great win Birch!

Excellent double racing Meadower - very impressive to knock out 2 quality runs in quick succession and just a shame it wasn't a standard distance.

Good news on the comeback GM

Fingers crossed Leslie, but if you ask a surgeon about how to fix a problem it is always likely to involve sharp objects.
  • Birch - Impressive running and even more impressive stamina for staying out until 4am!

Meadower - Excellent pace for your race and you're right not to get too annoyed re the short course even though it is frustrating. I had a similar experience last year when I did a 10k here and ran 38:x only for the course to be 200m short! Anymore 5k's soon that you could attempt to pb?

PMJ - Yep, all roads lead to London 2016 and no sense in arriving there over trained. There are some very decent V45-49 and V50's here, some of whom seem to be still pb'ing in most distances with the exception of the really short stuff.

Lorenzo - 55 is a nice weekly total, embrace the taper!image

Minni  - Sensible lack of running after your recent marathon.

Jools - Patient rebuilding.

Went up to the North Coast coastal cliff paths this avo' and did a 40 min run. Was a lovely run and some much needed quiet time and it was lovely just to park off afterwards and soak up the stunning views. Pace varied between 6mm and 11mm on different sections. Loving my new trail shoes at the mo. Haglofs brand, highly recommend them for anyone looking for a light trail shoe with excellent grip. No foot issues either so that's splendid!

• 4.12 am is always going to be sleep time for me Gul.

Finger crossed your recovery is fast SJ.

That's a long sneak of a run Lorenzo! nearly 20 miles off road is a good stamina building run. I like the idea of going that far off road.

Good prep for your Parkrun GM. just think of all the carbs you had the night beforeimage

Brilliant double 5k running in one day Meadower. Shame the course was a bit short after that greta pace. Certainly seems like sub 6 minute mile pace.

Nice WAVA grading there Birch & VoGit position. Crawling in at 4am (just as Gul is going out running?).

15 wet undulating miles yesterday and a 4 mile recovery today to get to 45 miles for the week. Building put he miles again.

• Leslie - hope the appointment goes well tomorrow.
    GM - good to hear that you're ready to start with some easy running again.
    Meadower - that's some impressive double racing!!!
    Birch - excellent parkun.
    PMJ - that's a lot of V50s! Good plan with the slow build-up.
    Jools / Minni - don't rush it!
    Lorenzo - enjoy the taper.
    KR - nice 15 m iler.
    8 easy miles with 10x100m strides to start the week for me.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

A good weekend of running from many. Good to see GM getting back to it, and fingers crossed for Leslie's appointment with the doc.

An hour's turbo on Saturday while the Ms As were at a party, then thought "hmm, my glute/ITB feels tight - I'll give it some tennis ball treatment". Terrible idea. An even worse idea was the 14 mile run early yesterday morning, by the end of which I could barely walk due to pain on the outside of my knee as a result of said ITB self-massage. So a few days off this week while that settles down, might do some splashing at the pool as running & cycling are definitely off the agenda! Should have just left it feeling tight but pain-free... image

• Abbers, we all push when things like this come up. Many times you find it was fine to do so. I'd say as long as you rest now you'll bounce back fast. One run too many probably isn't too bad. In the meantime, perhaps the ITB pain is due to weak glutes? This routine got me back fast from this the last time (foam rolling did nothing but make pain in my case...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcy3dPf__M

Been doing my own PT stuff on the core again the past few days. Got a couple runs in too. Energy is getting back to near normal. Core is tolerating the PT this time so will see how this progresses.

• Abbers - hope a few days rest sorts it out.
    VTr - sounds promising.
    12 mile MLR this morning. First 6 @ 8:20 m/m and second @ 7:38 m/m.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link VTR - I'll take a look later and see what that's all about. Glad to hear you're returning to action too.

That's a solid run Gul - nicely done.

Rest and ice yesterday, and the knee's feeling much improved today, but I'm not going to push things so will visit the pool this week and do some swimming for the first time in ages.

• Quiet on here today. How's the ITB now Abbers?

Swim last night and spin today. Still a few days from being ready to run though.

I've set myself a tasty target for next year and had fun building a training programme. If I can actually survive it I'll be flying by A race time image
  • Abbers - Hope it settles down soon and you're back to it. Good plan re the swimming.

VTr - Showing signs of progress. Good to hear and seems like your covering all bases.

Gul - Nice MLR.

KR - It didn't take you long to get back up to decent mileage again. Chaps here I know who run low to mid 16 for 5k have not yet broken 17 for the parkrun so I think I'd have to be on my A game to break 20 on that course and most certainly will not attempt to run it fast again after a hard night like that, but glad to have got the 1st under my belt and the Ale was splendid image. Am hoping to give it a bash again on Saturday week. On an aside a friend of mine who is an ultra runner is doing a 24hr run the w/end of the 21st. His target is 130 miles. I've no idea if that's achievable, seems like a lot of miles to me.

4.5 off road miles for me tonight @ 7:27m/m, as the young lad was at cubs. The legs felt very fresh which is not surprising as I've hardly run of late, in fact I checked and have run a grand total of 37 for the past month. Better than zilch. image

• SJ - Good to have a plan at least. image

• Birch-epic wava image

Slokey- you are spot on surgeon says how about next Tuesday  ! Paperwork signed already for some bone extraction image  Careful with those tasty targets, sounds risky given your usual 110% approach image

Kr- nice wet 15'er ,at least its not freezing yet ..

Abbers-careful now with the treatments image

Gul-nice 12

Gerard-anything is better than zilch but zilch will be me the rest of this year at leastimage

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - and what is next year's A race target? ITB/knee improving by the day thanks, but still a bit of a niggle, so back in the pool today and won't try any kind of cycle/run test until the weekend. Swimming was tough yesterday after a long gap since my last splash!

GM - 130 miles sounds crazy. Your 4.5 much more reasonable!

Leslie - Good luck with the op next week; hopefully it will resolve your issues and you'll be back to it after some rehab.

• Abbers - glad to hear rest and ice is working. Hopefully you'll be back on the road next week.
    SJ - making a plan is great fun, isn't it? One downside of just using P&D this time.
    GM - 130 miles is beyond scary.
    Leslie - all the best for next week. Let's hope it sorts things out.
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• 130 miles.... "Sounds like a long way". Understatement of the week!

Sounds painful Leslie. What's the projection in terms of time to getting back running?

You'll be like a fish before you know it Abbers image

Target for next year is Tri related. If I aim for a marathon I'd end up injured so I'm going to try to knock out an opportunistic marathon in the middle of my training and see what happens. A race next year is Outlaw. Target is sub 10hrs, top 3 in age group, GB age group qualification. Any of those will do - all 3 would be amazing. Stepping training up a couple of notches to get me there. Assuming the wife doesn't put her foot down.
  • SJ - I have no idea if 130 miles in 24hrs if achievable for him or anyone for that matter (I'm sure quite a few pro ultra runners have done it??) but can't be bothered to ask google. I was thinking it's a tough target for that time constraint for him, but like I said, I haven't a clue. Good targets there and they sound doable especially for someone with your experience in the tri events.

Leslie - Good luck with the op!

Gul - What sorty of pace do you do your recovery miles at? I never know what to do re that.

6k lunch run along the beach today. Still warm enough to wear a vest and shorts.

• GM, you can guide recovery by HR. Will keep you from going to fast on all you runs. Sub70% of Max should do.

SJ, I like those goals. May all of you hold up to get there! 90% of the battle these days.

Leslie, you are in a tough spot. I hope the surgeon can get you running again.

No running the past 2 days and am contemplating another day off. If I took a month off maybe my niggles would heal. But I can't resist getting out there for more than a couple days at a time. But this stretch of light running has been good for the soul.

• Not so good for the waistline thoughimage What good are rock hard abs if you can't see them, eh?image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - excellent, and demanding, targets. Winning a GB vest would be pretty special. Hope your body holds up to enable you to get there!

Gul - ticking off the sessions nicely.

GM - it is ridiculously mild at the moment. Forecast is for more of the same too, with some wind/rain thrown in for good measure. Not sure when it's going to start getting cold!

VTR - I think a lot of runners are in the same position. They know that a month off would help the healing process for on-going niggles no end, but don't really want to do it so keep on training!

Not sure I'm exactly fish-like. More floundering! Ha. Anyway, 1.5k splashed at lunch as 5x300 intervals.

• Slokey-liking an opportunistic marathon image, I will be out about 3 months .been out 5 and 1/2 already though !

Gerard- lets hope shorts are still needed for a while yet before winter wakes up late

Vtr- just running easy for a month would probably work wonders. I've had a few cycles of 100% max, foot to the floor, all in followed by 0%( busted ,broken ,mashed after each marathon)  now and it only works up to a point imageimage Putting on weight tell me about it I'm up about 13kg now image