Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Abbers - Nice tempo run and hope you managed double figures today

OO - Brilliant Parkrunning, especially taking down the youngsters

Lorenzo - Well done on managing a Parkrun after a work do!

Birch - Good luck in your XC

PMJ - I hope your knee twinge clears quickly

GM - Good Parkrun in tough conditions. I hope your 15 miler goes well

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

With this morning 5.5 miles easy, including 6 x 10 sec hill sprints completed, I have now run 42 consecutive days. Tomorrow I will be taking a well earned rest day. Being a fan of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy that's a good number to finish on.image

Within these 6 weeks I've run a 5 mile XC in 31 minutes, a 1:21:23 HM for 4th and won my local Parkrun in 18:37. I've also run a 37:08 10k and a 19 min 3 mile XC for a 2nd M45 prize. I followed this up with a 29:36 for third place in 5 miler and won a minor marathon in 2:57:02.  I've averaged 64 miles a week never running less than 59, and most importantly haven't had the slightest injury niggle or twinge. 

I'm on target to break 3,000 miles again for the third year running. This is despite missing  almost 3 weeks in January due to an operation. Next year I'm going long, with a few Ultras planned.

The more I run the stronger I become, and the stronger I become the more I can run! image

• Options

Badbark - great mantra. Will have to remember that one! It's been a great end of the year for you.

GM - Keep digging in there. It's never easy at this time of year.

Just over 14 miles through the woods and along the North Downs Way for me this morning - muddy and wet in places, so thoroughly enjoyable as a result. image

• Options
    Good to see many going well in the Parkrun, particularly OO.

Thats a tremendous set of results Badbark

20 miler here. Much better than last week with even pace throughout. An albino springbok, a few long tailed widowbird, a flock of red bishop and an arcing railway power cable were the points of interest.
  • Options
    Well done to Badbark, OO and GM.

Take care of that knee, PMJ.

Slightly better weekend's racing this week than last: 3rd in the Tri Counties Cross Country but first Avon and so am now a county champion. Sadly this is because the ladies who beat me last year weren't there today and my time was actually slower, but one step at a time along the road to running better again.
  • Options
    Champ!

What a thread of winners!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

hello all - 

Philip - I hope the knee "twinges" are nothing serious; did you run today, if so, is the knee problematical at easy/steady pace?

Gerard - well toughed out, but I agree with OO re the weight - my "purple patch" earlier this year coincided with me being my leanest for some time  . . .

Badbark - brilliant streak, both numerically and in results terms; I like your mantra - now I'm, ahem, more mature, I don't like having too much time off - "easier to maintain than regain" for VoGit fitness, I find . . .

BikeIt - excellent morale-boosting 20, and good wildlife spotting  . . .

Lorenzo - "muddy & wet"  sounds familiar - not sure 14 miles of such is "fun"  . . .

Jools - nicely done on the XC Championship - similar here -

to wit - was the last race in our county series today, and the race also was the standalone Championship race.  I started in 2nd V60 place in the series, so the goal was to try and keep the position. A podium place in the standalone race would be a bonus. As it turned out, the "main man" in my section didn't run (I only discovered this afterwards), so I somehow found myself winning, so ended up as county champ (V60), and also the series winner - so came home with a pair of medals  . . .
    oddly enough, I didn't feel I ran anywhere near as well as last time, but the course was predominantly flat, and I seem to be more suited to hilly or undulating, but it was exceptionally muddy & wet which suits my biffer style . . .

anyway, just finished first beer, now gonna have 2nd one, with curry I made yesterday  . . . .

• Options
    Yay!

Well done sir!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I can't claim to be the 3rd XC county champ on the thread but at least I can offer Junior OO who won the South Yorkshire XC title today in the U20 ladies catagory. Like you Jools here main rival missed the final race in the series due to illness- but as I told her you can only race whoever turns up on the day.  

I ran 16 today for a 50 mile week. Some way behind you Badbark but now up to 2150 for the year. 

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Badbark - Inspirational stuff. You are a model for the benefits of high, consistent mileage.

Jools - County Champion and modest to boot.

Birch - County Champion and curry to boot.

OO52 - Great running from Junior, nice speedy park running and a decent yearly total.

Much better weekend for me after last week's deluge and darkness. Cold showers lost their appeal  after the 3rd night without power. At least I escaped without being flooded. How was the weather for you Slokey?

Still slowly building, but have already pulled out of VLM, as my hip will not sustain runs longer than about 12-13 miles. Oddly, more regular running seems to help (I've experimented with various permutations of X training and running over the last 8 months), so I've started following the base building schedules in the new Pfitzinger & Latter book, with 5-6 days of general aerobic. I'm going to keep going until my hip complains, then follow the 10k schedule nearest to that weekly total. This is a completely new approach for me.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

excellent result for junior, OO - hope she enjoyed the calf deep puddles (lakes)? thru' the woods  - although I believe the women went thru' these less than our three times !   great ending to her first XC season in these parts image   

• Options

Good running and two medals from Birch. Solid performance.

Well raced Jools, yacc (yet another country champ)

The knee is odd. It has been giving me gyp for a few years now and I have been limping when I wake up and go downstairs but after a while it eases off and is fine. When I run in training it has been fine and races have been OK with a decent warm up. I think Saturday I was just lazy: for a 9am parkrun I am normally up at about 7 and do an hour bimbling round the house and then do a 3 mile warm up. Yesterday I was in bed at 8, out the house by 8:30 and drove to the start, just a mile warm up and off. Obviously as I get older I need more of a wind up before hitting full speed.

• Options

Nicely paced Parkrun 0052 - and time too! Congrats to Junior 00.

And some good thread Parkruns as well.

A cracking year for you Badbark and some notable results there. Long may your running improve!

Nice woody 14 miler Lorenzo

Top result Jools - County Champion has a great ring to it.

Well done Birch on your podium place & County Champion title too. Enjoy the beer & curry!

Hope the hip holds out Fishy

After a 17 miler 2 weeks ago and an 18 miler last weekend, I managed to knock out a 20 miler yesterday morning in the rain at a rather sedate 8.08 pace. I'm making sure I find some good hilly routes to build up a bit of leg strength.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great effort KR- always feels good to hit 20.

Good luck with the new approach Fishy- hope the hip holds out

Birch, junior says it was the strangest course she's ever run. Coach arrived late so no chance to have a look. She wondered what they were going to throw at them next- think she ran 3 laps of different lengths as they were in with the Senior ladies.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

yes, OO,  the University team kept us shivering on the start line as we awaited their coach . . .
    having checked the course map, I see the women ran 1 small, 1 medium, 1 large laps for a total of 5.7 K, whereas we men had 1 small & 3 large for a reported 9.6 K  - what are general opinions on this - should both genders run the same distance ?
    after all, a marathon, say, isn't of reduced distance for female runners     
    Jools ?  

nicely building, KR  . . .

gonna take a couple of days off here - legs feeling a bit tired and creaky  . . .

• Options
    I was actually away last weekend during the worst of it Fishy and we timed our return perfectly for the 2 hour window when the only route to home was not fully submerged and not closed for repairs. Hope you find a good balance for that grumbly hip.

Congrats to OOjr

I think they should all run the same Birch. If the event was being invented now it wouldn't be different distances.

Very impressed with the annual mileage being clocked up and equally jealous.
  • Options

Wow, you guys are all animals! Well done to Jools, Birch (x2), OO, OO's daughter, and others! Especially BB! Wow, the sum total of those races is incredible. But to me the really standout performance is the latest marathon. HR in the 130s for 6:40ish pace is freakish. I read that former Kona superstar Mark Allen did that type of thing when he went to low HR training (so running sub5 pace at HR 180 to down the road to same pace at HRs in the lower ranges (maybe 130/140). Seems you are evolving to do just that. Awesome.

I'm still working back. Core continues to improve and base fitness back. 60 miles last week, all easy (well, threw in a few fast miles in the last run which tells me where some work is needed soon). Haven't plotted a plan for Boston yet, probably should set something down soon though.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

60 miles is big VT is that your regular level?

Will continue with the speed work this week then a showdown with junior on Saturday at the Saltwell Park 10k

• Options

You can almost feel the low pre-Christmas energy levels from the lack of posting!  10M to work for me this morning at a sedate 8.19m/m.

• Options

Well done all the champs ,great efforts all round image

PMJ -Take care of that knee ,a bad knee is no fun at all image

Birch - take it easy now you have earned it after racing far further than the ladies ! Not sure why they race different distances these days just one of those things its always been like that I guess image

VTR- great week plenty of those and the rest of the plan will take care of itself image

Jools-it will soon be new year then some new running  plans will be generated

Got my first walk in post op today and all went well so far image

• Options
    That's great news Leslie! 10mile run tomorrow?

Busy week at work this week to get things sorted before the Christmas break. Can't wait to get the bike out and test my shin on the fells next week. Whoop whoop!
  • Options

You will get me in trouble Slokey,  but id like to get of the bench for more than 1 day before getting back on it image Enjoy the bike !image

• Options

OO, good question about the weekly mileage. Last year I ran about 2300 for the year and missed very little time for injury (maybe a week total). This year will finish about the same missing over 2 months to injury. So while last year I probably averaged 45ish per week running 4-5 days per week, the last 1/2 year it's been 6 days running per week and 60 seems pretty easy to hit when not in marathon training (was more like 75 per week during mara training). All this to say 60 feels right for this base phase training. I need to break my mold though for the next marathon to improve…must get some more fast training in.

Jools, this time of year for me is just off the hook. Too many moving parts w/impending holiday!

Leslie, had to laugh at SJ's comment cause I was thinking the same thingimage Glad to hear you are slowly progressing. When can you actually start to jog again? Are you doing lots of PT stuff in the meantime? I hope it all works out for you.

SJ, down boy! Enjoy the fells (within reason). How is your injured calf? Improving? Last I saw you were doing about 10 minutes at a time. Good thing you are such a bike fanatic. Wish I loved biking/swimming.

Took Monday off, then 10 M w/7 moderately fast (range 7:40 to 7:25 m/m) on Tuesday. HR stayed pretty low in upper 140s/low150s. Felt really good to get some faster turnover. Core did well. Nasty conditions though…took off in dark in shorts and thin long sleeve t shirt (was 52 and windy)…about 2 miles in it started to pour and when i got home it was 38! Brrrrrrrr (followed this with a loooong hot shower!).  12M today at about 8:20 m/m and HR 139. I (and my core) am loving not having to go longer than 12-13 miles in any given run!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Leslie - first steps on the journey back  . . . .  good luck

Looking good, VTr - although wet. 38F in thin t-shirt doesn't sound so good 

thin t-shirt for me too today - very mild here - 6 easy with a few strides, after 3 day planned rest (legs felt "shot" after XC on Sunday) - I'm on 2170 for the year, so should surpass last year's 2212 . .

• Options

VTR-Good week so far for you image  I can't jog for another 2 months image ,I have some very gentle exercises to do and will see the consultant in 2 weeks time for a review but with stitches inside and out and the high risk of it splitting open again till now nearly all the regular after knee keyhole surgery ones  on the list had a big x on them . Good news is gentle walking/going down stairs etc is totally pain free now image which is a big change but time is needed for everything to grow back together again and starting back early will delay recovery. I plan a months walking everyday then the 3rd month get some easy cross training if things go well .

Birch -Epic Vogit mileage image ,was 15c here last night warmer than many a summers day !image

• Options

Lor - Nice mucker 14 miler

BI - Great 20 miler with plenty to look at

Jools - Well done on the being the County Champ!

OO - You might have lower mileage than me but your still quicker over the shorter distances.

Fishy - I agree with plenty of long slow running to build strength. I firmly believe it's the shorter fast runs that do us damage.

KR - Good hilly LSR

SJ - I hope your shin holds up well

VT - Good pace and glad to read your core is holding up well

Birch - Good yearly total and well done on the County champ victory

Leslie - Sorry to read you can't jog for 2 months. Nightmare.

I've just had a dodgy looking mole removed from my calf and gotten four stitches. The Doctor tells me I not allowed to run for a week. Eek! I'm more worried about missing a weeks training than what the mole might be. I've still 75 miles to run before the end of the year to break 3000.

So from Xmas eve I have 75 miles to run in a week and have went ahead and signed up for another marathon on the 31st. I'll be inverse tapering by running almost 50 miles the six days before with 3 heavy piss up planned too. This should be fun. image

I'm glad a banked a 15 miler with 4 x 8 min fast reps this morning. Now how do I maintain my fitness for the next week?

• Options

Badbark,my hypothesis is that a week off in your case will actually improve your fitness. Could be the best thing to happen to you! I'm sure the mole is nothing to worry about.

Nice mileage there Birch. Not surprised your legs were feeling a bit torched. Gently run into the holidays!

Leslie, it must be a good sign that things feel better in normal day to day walking around activities.

8 easy miles this morning.

Need to get more sleep...

• Options

Badbark,my hypothesis is that a week off in your case will actually improve your fitness. Could be the best thing to happen to you! I'm sure the mole is nothing to worry about.

Nice mileage there Birch. Not surprised your legs were feeling a bit torched. Gently run into the holidays!

Leslie, it must be a good sign that things feel better in normal day to day walking around activities.

8 easy miles this morning.

Need to get more sleep...

• Options

So compelling it somehow became a double post!

• Options

Good taper plan there Badbark - look forward to seeing how it all ends up. There could be a bestseller in there for you.

Leslie - every journey begins with the first step etc etc.

Sounds a tad chilly to me VTr. What's your training plan looking like for the next few months?

Have decided to mix things up a bit this week - 2 x 6.5 miles worth of commuting bits and pieces on Monday and Tuesday, a fartlek session yesterday and some hill work in Lincoln this morning. I can testify to the fact that while Lincolnshire is flat, Lincolm most definitely isn't as I found out running up the aptly named Steep Hill to the cathedral. 

Muddy one planned for first thing tomorrow. image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Popping in to say I continue to be mightily impressed and a little in awe of most people on here. County champs, huge annual mileage, extremely rapid offspring - it's a bit of a different world!

I would like to give Leslie a particular mention though; great to hear your pain-free news, and stick with the rehab as prescribed. Frustrating, but eventually well worth it.

Nothing much to report here; life & work have largely got in the way this week, so only 2 x 6.5 easy runs so far. Today I'll be drawing a blank too, but having been back into double figures last weekend, I should get another 10-12 done on Sunday morning. Planning on doing a double figure run every other day while off over Christmas, but we'll see how that plan stands up to family social arrangements!

Romsey 5 at the end of Jan and Salisbury 10 in March are spring targets, so need to get ~6 weeks of speed work done to give Romsey a good crack (both race distances in miles rather than k).