Sub 3h15

Comments

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Currently pen C Poacher. One last attempt on Sunday to get into pen B if the weather is reasonable, otherwise that's where I'll stay.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Schoolgirl error there, Freemers! image

So, my last run was on Saturday when I plodded out a 20 miler at 8.21 pace the morning after a brutal sports massage the night before (yeah OK, Freemers, schoolboy error!). Couldn't go a second faster, thigh carnage.

Tonight was a 10 miler at goodness knows what pace, hit the road and see what happens. Felt OK after mile 1 (7.09) and decided to go for a tempo to make myself feel better about Saturday. Managed 10 miles at 6.58 pace. Really pleased with that, especially for a night run and after the pain from Saturday. Suddenly feel back on track.

Funny old game this running malarkey image

GD

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch – I took the liberty of checking your son’s mate out on Po10 and as you say his half time is impressive but there is always that unpredictability factor that comes with a maiden marathon. I hope he has a great run. Great to hear you had an enjoyable run.

SJ – Hope the lurgy doesn’t take hold and yes it will be interesting to see what Pep brings to the Prem table.

Poacher – Nice tea and cake mara fuelling. I like do like cake and a decent month for you all things considered.

Gul – Nice slow 7 and hope you can do a parkrun soon.

Abbers – Hello! A good week of running before Salisbury hopefully should see you right.

OO – I’ve never raced a 20m before and am not sure if I ever will, but it will be good for you to do it given VLM is slightly later this year.

Freemers – Good to get the miles in and what doesn’t kill you…..

Leslie – Things are looking up if you think about it.

Bike it – 6 x 600 sound ok to me but I guess it depends on what type of session it is. Personally I’d do it tomorrow and have a relatively short easy recovery run on Thursday and take Friday off and maybe go for a light jog or rest on Saturday as well?

G-Dawg – Your legs are now feeling the benefit of your sports massage. Nice to hit sub 7 for 10.

Today was an interesting run for me. I did the “look out the window thing” at the hideous weather and thought, just get out there and run. I have this route that I do and it is not easy, in fact it hurts quite a bit, but at the start of the year I ran the same route 6 or 7 times on the trot until I felt like I could run it feeling strong and not like I wanted to quit. I managed to pb back in mid Jan by 3 seconds on that route and my previous best time stood for nearly 3 years or more. Today it was pi$$ing rain and force 6 wind and somehow I managed to knock 43 seconds off my best ever time over 5.2k. I was very happy with that and I haven’t seen improvement like that over the shorter distances since I ran 18:46 for a 5k race way back in Jan 13. Hopefully I can keep building on that and get some more quality runs in before Madchester and even a race if I can. That’s the one thing I am lacking in this campaign, I’ve got no races really lined up before the marathon and we runners do like to dip our feet in before we dive head on in, don’t we?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

10 miles is my favorite distance Abbers. There is a famous one up here called Brampton to Carlisle which claims to be Britain's oldest road race. I broke the hour on that course 2 years ago but fear that will be the last time I ever manage it. I'm based in Geneva most weeks, but get home every weekend.

I went back out for a double session Freemers. Was feeling quite smug about my 12 miles, until I read Bike-it's post image  Personally, I would not work too hard ahead of your race but you know your body best.

Great running GD and Gerard you are both on fine form.  

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Very nice monthly mileage by many here, particularly for a short month. I managed 265. Yesterday did 14 w/10 at subLT and today did another 12.5 at easy pace. Legs felt terrific for both runs and lots of energy. I have to admit I've been feeling slower and less fit despite decent training volume. It's only 2 days but I'm hopeful this signals I'm getting back to normal. And now maybe if I can actually lose some of that xmas weight I'll shed some more seconds per mile! But cannot seem to pass on desserts.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers  - careful with that decorating - high risk of injury I always think!
    Leslie - onwards and upwards.
    Bike It - +1 for 6x600m but don't push it.
    Poacher - I'll try but the A17 is a dangerous roadimage
    GD - cracking session!
    GM - you need to race in bad weather from now on.
    VTr - you're probably in better shape than you think - feeling full of energy despite high mileage is a good sign!
    Another slow run today - 9 miles @ 8:59 m/m. Managed somehow to punch a wheelie bin - no spatial awareness whatsoever!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You do pick your fights Gul...

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Sadly my 2 last marathon have turned into 20 mile races as I've lost 10-14 minute in the last 10km of both of them.

Thanks for the comments on what I should do.  My legs were tired this morning and today I only have the option to run at lunchtime.  So I opted for 10 miles easy - although it wasn't that easy as the temperature was 33C. I'll do my weights tonight and I might sneak in a recovery run on Thursday or Friday, but otherwise that's it for me until Sunday's marathon.

Two good runs there VTR and good to hear you are feeling positive.

Fast as ever GD.

Great result GM - sometime these things just sneak up on us when we don't focus on them.

Nice controlled recovery running Gul - something that it is surprisingly hard to do is run  slowly.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good bin action there, Gul. Did that get logged as a 'rubbish' run? image

Tough temps to run in BI, nice going. Watched a video of Mr Izzard on the BBC site, Hats off to they guy, he's battling valiantly through tough temps out there. great will power to see that challenge through.

A cheeky 5 miler at lunchtime. proper windy round these parts but managed a 7.09 pacer as a nice follow-up to last night.

Can relax now and get ready for a big Chinese meal blow-out for my youngest lad's birthday tonight. Will also treat myself to what is now the unusual treat of a mid-week beer! imageimage

GD

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BI/Poacher - no, not done the 54321 even though it's on the doorstep. Problem with summer races are a) the temps (although nothing guaranteed!) and b) cricket on the Saturday which doesn't make for great race prep. Might dabble one day though, just to experience it and jog round rather than race it.

GD - nice tempo yesterday, sub-70 over 10 miles ranks as a good run in my book. Enjoy the Chinese & beer!

GM - sounds like you're making good progress. Any race options on the island for you?

OO - sub-60 is shifting over 10 miles. I certainly won't be threatening that! image

VTR - really solid running & volume there. Not surprised you've been feeling a bit sluggish with that sort of quantity, but sounds like you're coming back to it. And you have to indulge yourself sometimes, otherwise what's the point? image

GD - and what had the wheelie bin done to offend? Any lasting damage to your hand?

BI - 10 miles is never easy in 33C! Feet up until Sunday.

A mile in the pool at lunch for general aerobics.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

I run so that I can eat (well). Seriously!image

I'm living in a land of ice today…1/2 inch of it covers everything here. Thinking this would be a good day to restrict things to core work indoors.

• 13.1 today as a pace test for Milton Keynes on Sunday which I am pacing at 1;40. Came out at 1:40.00.0 so me thinks that is OK. Really odd, struggled Sunday over a 16 at 8:09 pace, today 13 at lunch lazy pace of 7:38.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Just wait until you have a pack of runners on your tail PMJ, I doubt you'll struggle then. I recall MK is a very dull race with a few underpasses, needless to say I only ran it once, 2006 I think in about 1:26.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Oddly, I ran MK in 2006 in 1.24 - must have been the first and last time of finishing ahead of the very speedy OO image Very quick downhill start, lots of underpasses and some tight turns as I recall.

Abbers - an off-roader has to be worth a try if the scenery is going to be that good.

Don't fall over out there VT

7m tonight, slow

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - all the best for Sunday. Hope it's not too hot.
    GD - hope you enjoyed the birthday celebrations.
    Abbers - nice swimming. I just lost some skin from my knuckles!
    VTr - sensible move.
    PMJ - impressive pace test.
    Poacher - slow is the new fast.
    8 slow miles @ 8:47 m/m this morning.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - There is a 5k road race Mar 15th which I will probably do. I haven't raced one for a good while.

Poacher - Good to see you getting a few runs in.

Gul - Take it easy rocky!image

Yeah apart from the odd fast run I am running most of my miles at a much more relaxed pace these days. My planned 22 on Sunday will be very slow again but should mean a quicker recovery for next week's long run.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - looking bang on for Sunday! Could be a cold one though. Bit of a sting in the tail if it's the same route I ran there in 2014; a climb up through the park in mile 12, just when you don't need it!

VTR - not as cold as with you though! Definitely a day for staying in.

Poacher - I've spent most of my life in & around Salisbury, and the rolling chalk downlands are underestimated in terms of scenery. Doesn't take long to be in the middle of nowhere well away from the general population. Possibly not on the day of the 54321 though!

Gul - glad there's no lasting damage to your hand. Well plodded this morning.

GM - bit of a 5k burn up might be fun to see where your speed is.

Usual Thursday tempo today, but working from home, so a slightly different route. 7.5 done with 4 tempo miles in the middle. Legs didn't want to know and the whole thing was a bit of a chore, so not surprised to see the first 2 quicker miles at 6:55 & 6:57. But then a bit of a downhill seemed to improve things, so although I still didn't really want to know, miles 3 & 4 came out at 6:36 and 6:33. Surprised when I saw that. Just hope it feels a lot easier than that in 10 days!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Tough track session tonight. Could feel the past few days in my legs which made the session harder.

Session was 16 x 400 with 30 second recoveries. Efforts had to be run in 1.25. I blew up on the 6th rep where I did a 1.31 and had a 45 sec recovery but that seemed to help and the session came back to me and I was around 1.25 per effort again.

A mile w/up and down either end made it a 6.4 mile night. Looking forward to a day off before Saturday's 20.

GD

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

GDawg, am envious of that speed session. Was one of my favorites as a teenager during XC. Now I fear I'll rip or tear something on that type of workout. But that is where I hopefully (safely) head this summer. Anyway, nice effort! How were the tender spots?

PMJ, you'll hit your target (or at least get very close). You are too consistently consistent not to.

Abbers, some good speed at the end of that one. It always feels easier in the race! Especially if well rested.

GM, easy miles to build a proper base is termed "squeezing the toothpaste tube from the bottom." Highly recommended. I talked with a pacer in a previous marathon and he said he never mixed speed with his LSR and never had a problem wedding the two on race day. I tested that logic on my last marathon and it worked out (granted an n = 1).

Today was 13.5 w/10 at subLT. Pace averaged pretty much bang on 7 m/m. Still not where I would like to be, but felt very strong again, particularly in last 3-4 miles of subLT. This route is out/back and starts downhill finishing those last miles up. Could have kept going (first time this campaign I can say that) and that is the desired effect. Thinking some positive adaptations have finally taken hold. I've got next week on, then cut back, then last big week followed by taper. So hopefully no injuries lurking and can sharpen my speed a bit over the last stretch.

I feel more relaxed about this race though because I don't need a fast time to qualify for Boston next year (got that last fall), don't know the course, and the weather will likely be hot throwing out a PB attempt anyway. This way, if I did by some small chance exceed expectations, it would be (surprisingly) sweet. If not, no big deal. In fact, if weather is horrible, may elect to cruise easy and continue on my training and shift to shorter faster stuff w/out the big recovery/reverse taper period. OK, I'm rambling now so will sign off with a final thought: I'm ready for winter to be over!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Nice fast sessions from Abbers, GD and VTR.  It will do you good chaps.

I'm in a huff after discovering the sole of my new shoes is delaminating and need to be sent back to the UK.  Thankfully I did order 2 pairs and will use the second pair from now as the replacement will probably take 4-6 weeks given the inefficiency of the SA post office.

Just resting here and checking Sunday's weather.

• OO53 wrote (see)

Just wait until you have a pack of runners on your tail PMJ, I doubt you'll struggle then. I recall MK is a very dull race with a few underpasses, needless to say I only ran it once, 2006 I think in about 1:26.

Poacher wrote (see)

Oddly, I ran MK in 2006 in 1.24 - must have been the first and last time of finishing ahead of the very speedy OO image Very quick downhill start, lots of underpasses and some tight turns as I recall.

Abbers wrote (see)

PMJ - looking bang on for Sunday! Could be a cold one though. Bit of a sting in the tail if it's the same route I ran there in 2014; a climb up through the park in mile 12, just when you don't need it!

Looks like a lot of MK experience on the thread. I ran the race in March 2011 in 1:22:15. I started posting on this thread in Feb 2011 with the aim of beating 3:15 to get GFA for London 2012 and when I did 1:22 I had to change my plans and went on to run an ill paced 2:57 in May 2011 at the Rotary Shakespeare Marathon.

The course has changed a bit since then but is mainly the same: seems to turn left sooner which cuts about a mile and a half off the first bit (which is a good change as that avoids crossing the busy A421 twice) but then joins the same loop. It then has to add this back in at the end so stretches the last bit out a bit more including the run up through Campbell Park over the last mile.

My splits are a perfect reverse royal flush in Marathon talk parlance so the plan in Sunday is not to run mile 13 over a minute slower than mile 1.

05:50.7
    05:59.6
    06:02.3
    06:09.4
    06:10.0
    06:15.1
    06:15.2
    06:16.7
    06:18.4
    06:26.0
    06:29.2
    06:31.0
    06:51.8

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - don't push me! I might fall overimage
    Abbers - still looking promising I think.
    GD - good intervals - don't think I've ever attempted that many 400m reps.
    VTr - another good sub LT session.
    Bike It - rather annoying!
    PMJ - yes, that does look like a rather suicidal initial pace!
    10 easy miles with 12x100m strides this morning - avg. pace was 8:09 m/m.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I was wondering if I could get into the Soweto marathon as a GFA, but seeing the times they are expecting it is not possible for me.  They seem a bit severe for the men's time:

42KM
    SENIOR MEN 3:00
    VETERAN MEN (40+) 3:00
    MASTER MEN (50+) 3:00
    GRAND MASTER MEN (60+) 3:25
    SENIOR WOMEN 3:20
    VETERAN WOMEN (40+) 3:46
    MASTER WOMEN (50+) 3:55
    GRAND MASTER WOMEN (60+) 4:25

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Certainly severe on the V50 men Bike it image

Wish I hadn't MK now it turns out I'm the slowest on the thread...

Pacing looks pretty tasty to me VTR.

Rest day here and off to Keswick for the weekend. Looking forward to trying their new parkrun course (post floods) which seems to be part trail.  

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

OO - no need to fret, your time was much quicker than mine as it was another of my failed sub-90 attempts! Enjoy Keswick image

GD/VTR - tasty sessions there, of differing types. Both sounding quick.

BI - sorry to hear about the shoe disaster! Just as well you got 2 pairs. And those qualifying times seem very harsh on the elder gentlemen!

Gul - solid running, as ever. Bit chilly again today; any snow your way?

Was absolutely shattered last night, and ended up going to bed at 9:15, which is unheard of for me. Feel generally achy/lethargic/tired today, so I'm either going down with some kind of virus, or it's caffeine withdrawal symptoms (I seem to remember someone else on here having cold/'flu type symptoms from stopping caffeine). I don't normally drink much, only 3 shots a day, but suddenly not having had any for a couple of days might have made a difference. Will see if things develop! Meanwhile, it's a rest day today anyway.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Yes that was me Abbers - I normally had about 6 mugs per day, but during heavy exam marking I was up to 10 or so.  Once I had my results all in, I decided to rest from coffee.  I didn't know at the time that there would be any caffeine withdrawal symptoms.  I have to say that I felt dreadful and through I was ill/diseased and about to go to the doctor.  I think I spent most of the weekend in bed.

On reading up a bit about it, there is no rule on whether you would have withdrawal or not depending on your normal dosage or any physiological factors  - it is purely linked to the individual.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

And we think the VLM GFA times are gender biased Bike It!  And that is bad luck with the shoes.

Good sessions Abbers, VTr, GD

PMJ - hope the pacing duties go well on Sunday.

Apologies to anyone living in the snow-covered north of the country, but it is absolutely glorious in Suffolk today, had a lovely 9 mile run out there...shorts and t-shirt the order of the day image 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Bike it - It almost looks like those mens GFA times are a mistake. Have you confirmed with the race organisers?

OO - Enjoy Keswick, I am doing Jersey as well which is about 3k or tarmac on a cycle track and 2k on a trail path.

Gul - image Nice 10  miler.

PMJ - You set off at 76 min pace and ended up finishing in 89 min pace. That must have hurt a bit. Still ended up with a  very good time.

Abbers - I have started drinking decaf coffee for the 1st time ever at home but I still have 3 cups a day in work each day. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

VTr - Good running and good relaxed attitude to the race. I ho0pe to do Boston in the next few years.

G-Dawg - Good tack session. I've never done 400's, only 800/1000 and mile reps.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

VTR- great sublt session 

PMJ- 1:22 half no matter how you got it is mighty impressive 

Bikeit - those GFA men times can't be right as there is no ease in times to over 50 !image cant see many 50 year olds meeting that spec (PMJ exempted !)

Abbers -you are most likely a bit ill take it easy and up the caffeine intake 

Freemers nice to hear summer has arrived image

9.5 miles today as soon as getting up after nightshift nearly in double figures image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Not hugely surprised by those GFA times, there are a lot of decent runners and a strong club scene in SA, and Soweto is accessible to a huge catchment area. I have always fancied that as a race - it's an interesting city of many contrasts.

Quite deep snow here in the Pennines, it carried on for hours but is already slushy making it very difficult to run on pavements and trails. 8 slow wet slidey miles d&d.