Sub 3h15

Comments

• 71 miles this week, end of the lactate endurance section of the plan.

• Just seen the results from the Spring Shakespeare today (the same race Gul and I did last year). Top 3 were 2:57, 3:04 and 3:11. Last year, 7 went sub 3 and 11 faster than 3:11. If I did the same time this year as last, I would have been 3rd and on the podium.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMJ- nice fast long run, a day later and you could have bagged some bling image

Surrey- nice big week 

bagged another nine today to give me 38m for the week ,a bit more like it.image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Quick newsflash before I tuck into some lunch.

Scored a new PB at the Surrey Half toady, 1.27 image

Very happy with that as I only had a mini-taper for it and the hammy grumbles were still apparent but can't complain too much.

Just tried to knockout 6.45s all the way with a push in the final 3 miles. Also decided early to get ahead of the 1.30 pace group as it was very busy. Running my own race kept me calm and was good mental discipline. Averaged 6.43 and made sure that each split was under 7.00 after I blotted my copybook last year. The later inclines on the new course took their toll but I managed them well and made up for it on the downsides to keep my splits even.

Finished 190 out of 3500-ish and a WAVA of 74.82 (for those who love a stat).

Hope other racers got their goals today?

GD

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, GD!

A rather more mediocre outing for me at Bath: 1.24.11.  Felt aerobically fine, but legs were a bit tired and tight (perhaps not surprising, on reflection: last 3 weeks have been 69M, 70M, 69M and the last 5 days were club session, 14M, rest, 13M, 5M, race.  I'd have liked the 13M and the rest to be the other way around!).  Still, I've got to take the positives, which is that my marathon pace efforts have improved from 6.39s 4 weeks ago, to 6.33s 3 weeks ago and now 6.25s.  6.25s would be a pb by about 90s, which I'd take, although the dream target remains a bit faster.  I'll hopefully get a couple more club sessions in ahead of the Maidenhead Easter 10 and see if I can squeeze something a bit more respectable pace wise then.  As TR would say, if he still lurked around these parts, cake baked, time to ice!

• Wondering if I might be able to sneak in to this thread!!!

Running my first Marathon at Brighton in 5 weeks and was aiming for sub 3.30 but ran the spitfire 20m today and completed it in 2.25 so am now wondering if I might be able to go sub 3.15. It could be close and weather on the day could be a factor, not sure yet. Have a few weeks more training to decide.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch – Thanks for your advice. I had a look back on my training log and since I got back from Tenerife 7 Feb, I have had 16 non running days out of 35 due to illness and other stuff. Luckily I have managed to get the long runs done otherwise it would be a disaster in terms of my marathon prep. With that in mind and the fact I have my son 24/7 for the next few weeks I decided to do an 8 miler yesterday and an 18 miler today. Today’s run was meant to be a 20 or 22 but I felt some discomfort in my left hip flexor and glute so decided to cut the run short. It’s the first real niggle I’ve had up until now and I fear may have over cooked the goose last weekend and I am still trying to recover. Will see how it feels this week but I need to do more yoga in the next few weeks.

KR – Thanks too. I previously said I wasn’t injured, please see above. Lols, I may have spoken too soon.

Surrey runner – That’s an impressively weekly total!

Jools –I’d say if it felt aerobically fine then you are not far from what you are aiming for. You are still making progress and at the level you are running at, that is very impressive. Very well done. Hopefully another PB beckons.

Leslie  - 38 miles! Wohoo!! Delighted for you!

Gul – 66 is a great weekly total, something I’ve never managed. Well done!

OO – If 18:32 felt comfortable that says a lot about your fitness right now. Great stuff.

VTr – Hectic to say the least. Sorry to hear that. Hope you recover well.

Lorenzo – Nice weekly mileage again.

PMJ – Good average pace for your long run.

G-Dawg – Well done! That’s a very good time and a great WAVA too.

• Jason, welcome! A lot of it depends on how hard you had to work for 2:25 and how you felt at the end. 2:25 for 20 miles is 7:15 on the nose for 20 miles and if you hold that pace for 26.2 you come out with 3:10.  Looks to me like sub 3:15 is definitely a possibility, unless you got to 16, 17 or 18 miles way ahead of 7:15 pace and died a death over the last handful. If you were even over the 20, or. better still, faster at the end, then it is good.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

X-post - Jason, welcome and I totally concur with what PMJ said. Can you give us some background info on your training/experience?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome Jason, stick around anyway and you chances will definitely improve.

GD many congrats on the PB. You too Jools not too shabby at all, with all things considered.

I also got a PB today in the Locke part 20 miler 2:13:23, a minute quicker than last year in perfect conditions. I ran the first 18 laps steady 6:45's. Then turned the after burners on in the last 2 to secure the PB with a 6:20 then a 6:15. I'm feeling more comfortable with a potential sub 3 hours after this. image 

In other news Junior OO got a team silver for the North-East in the British cross country championships y/day in the U20 ladies. 

• OO, "I'm feeling more comfortable with a potential sub 3 hours after this." Understatement of the year.

• Wow OO - great discipline to hold back sufficiently to run those last couple at that speed. Sub-3 looking good for you. Congrats to OO-ette as well - another bit of bling for the family trophy cabinet.

Also fab stuff from GD - assuming that the course is similar to previous years (i.e. with a few undulating stretches), that's more than a decent time. 

Jools - still progressing very nicely. I've got a sneaking suspicion you might surprise yourself in 6 weeks time.

JT - welcome. What PMJ said +1

6 gentle miles for me this morning to take me up to a tidy 66 for the week. 

• 2 13 for 20 does not guarantee a sub 3 hour marathon. I did Bramely in 2 12 in 2012 and failed to get under 3 for the marathon.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Great run and looking very good to continue your sub 3 streak. Well done!

Surrey Runner - Valid point, but you are speaking from your own personal experience but imho it has no bearing in current terms or on anyone else. What did you learn from that and how have you progressed since?  Apologies, but I can't recall what marathon you are training for or what your goal is??

• Lots of good weekly mileage being put in here!

Good mileage for the week Gul.

Great Parkrun and then 20 mile PB 00 - top form at the moment.

Not a good experience there VTRunner, hope it's all out of your system now.

A testing 19.6 mile trail run there Lorenzo & weekly mileage too.

Hopefully the tarmac/trail combination was kind to your knee Birch.

A great week's mileage Surrey Runner.

Top PB there G-Dawg and WAVA stat too

Nice half marathon time Jools - a bit of a confidence boost.

A promising 20 mile time there Jason, which as PMJ says is a good indicator of a sub 3.15.

Fingers crossed the hip flexor niggle passes GM.

A busy weekend of 13 yesterday - 8 mile warm up then a park run of 19.08 & 4th place. Then 17 miles this morning in 7.40 av pace and a full day wall papering the lounge wall. 65 miles for the week off 6 runs. Last full week of training this week before 3 week taper - starting to get real now!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - a "fairly comfortable" 18:32 parkrun is rather good! And then to follow that with a stonking 20 mile PB - sub 3 definitely looks on.
    VTr - sorry to hear you've such a rough time. Hope you're back on track now.
    Lorenzo - good hilly run and competitivenessimage
    Birch - good running total for the week.
    PMJ - another 20 miler in the bag. Interesting results from Spring Shakespeare - probably not quite as cold as last year!
    Surrey Runner - cracking mileage for the week.
    Leslie - coming along nicely.
    GD - congratulations! That's a great new PB.
    Jools - That's an excellent HM with no taper! Time to ice - nice pun too!
    Jason - welcome to the thread. How has your training been going so far? Good results in your 20 miler I'd say.
    GM - hope a bit of rest will sort out your niggles.
    KR - excellent end to your pre-taper week. Looking very promising.
    11 miles with a 6 mile tempo effort this morning. Warm-up 9:07, 8:19, 7:43, 7:03. Then 6:47, 6:48, 6:44, 6:55, 6:48, 6:51 and final mile warm-down 8:20. Mrs GD is picking up the dog this afternoon... As it's dark when I'm out running, I stick to well-lit streets so I have to put the dog on a lead. I tried going on a slow run like that once and had to give up as I feared I was going to strangle her!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Great work to get a PB GD.  

You are showing good form OO and it must give you massive confidence that sub-3 is on at VLM.  Great work on getting your 20 mile PB.

Nice time performance Jools - on balance your training has all been positive and you are in the middle of a high volume section with recent high intensity session still in the legs.  I have faith that everything will be in order come the day of VLM.

Tough run GM and good decision to cut it short.

Looking good KR.

Jason - I agree with PMJ's comment

Hoping you recovered alright VTR.

26km/16 miles on Sunday which was OK at the time, but subsequently I've got bad pain in my knee.  I had a hard Saturday putting a cable in for a gate motor and standing at a family party and slept too little on Saturday night.   I still had a bit of a sore adductor and it had spread to my hip and I proceeded anyway as I frequently have such a niggle.  The run proceeded fine and the knee pain started after a few hours of getting home.  I also wore new shoes yesterday but these are the same model as 4 previous pairs.  So it looks like I will be resting for a few days.  Still I should be doing strength training so I'll give that some attention instead of ignoring it as I regularly do.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Nice tempo running Gul!

• Hi Garad,

Am doing the Milton Keynes marathon this year. Just want to get under 315 to get me a gfa for London in 2017.

in 2012 I did the MK marathon in 311. Admittedly there was a storm on the day of the marathon that may have effected my time. Reckon I peeked too early that year anyway. This year I am doing the PD 55 to 70 plan and not doing any races before.
  • Thanks all for the welcome. I have been looking back over the last few pages and you guys have some great times and good weekly totals.

Myself, I am 46 years young and have been running for around 18 months, I currently average around 40 -50 mpw. I did my first event in August last year (park run) and have run events at several other distances since then from10k to 20m and am now preparing for my first marathon. Got my 10k down to sub 40 at Stubbington in January. Was initially looking to go sub 3.45 for the marathon but have been changing my goals as training progressed and am now wondering if I could make sub 3:15.

The 20 miler yesterday broke down as following splits: 7.42, 7.41, 7.41, 7.35, 7.39, 7.05, 7.30, 7.21, 7.30, 7.21, 7.15, 7.22, 7.27, 6.59, 7.15, 6.45, 7.01, 7.08, 7.09, 6.58  It was 2 x 10m laps which came in at 1.14.37 and 1.10.53

Course was a bit hilly, so hopefully Brighton should be a bit easier, but I was getting tired towards the end so would have to maintain a slower pace for longer I think in the marathon which will make a 3.15 tight.

Cheers.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

That's a quick 20 miler, Jason. well done.

I've got PBs at Brighton in the past 2 years, scoring a 3.13 and a London GFA last year. It's a good course but does have a few inclines you should prepare for.
    Then there's the "Road to Hell" section from 21 to 24 miles. It goes out towards the power station and there's barely a spectator there as you run through the industrial estates. Those runners that hit the wall tend to slam into it there. As you run through you'll see the wheels falling off many runners, that section really seems to bring people down.

Let me know if you need more course info.

GD

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

morning all

G-D excellent 1:27 there - congrats on the PB

Jools - "take the positives"  - absolutely - the evidence is there, and y'day is a fine result after the training block you describe. Take care with the icing  . . . .

OO - we'll be reaching for a thesaurus to find new superlatives at this rate ! Well done, sir . . . . .

KR - splendid weekend, qualifies for "hardcore" in my book with a day's wallpapering in there ! 

Gul - good  work again - (very) early starts are one thing, but doing quality stuff at that hour is another matter altogether -  respect to you . . . .

BikeIt - sorry to hear of the niggle(s) - hopefully a few days rest will do the trick

Jason - welcome

decided to be cautious & rest yesterday after Sat 16, as knee (only slightly) grumbly - so just jogged around a bit supporting my son & daughter at a local (but not too small - 837 finishers) 10K   

gave me a 40 mile week, so 155 in last 4 weeks whilst "managing" the knee prob is ok 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Birch and Bike it with knee issues- both wise to take it easy.

KR I love the wallpapering details- how were you going up the ladders after a long run?

Jason, it's your first marathon (I think) and you are relatively new to running. To be honest, first marathon times mean very little. It's about getting round and enjoying the experience and not coming away injured- I wouldn't stress too much about times as you will improve in years to come. A pal who beat me yesterday ran 3:45 in his first marathon, I think he will go sub-3 this year.

My pacing yesterday was helped by staying with the leading lady who eventually won the race. She is a 3:01 marathon runner (aged 48) and hoping to go sub three this year. So I paced her to 18 mile safety then only picked it up when a PB was on the cards. Legs are a bit shot today, but I might go for a recovery run this evening. 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GD - HM PB? Always good news! Well run.

Jools - solid HM that, and still some time to build before VLM.

OO - great run, and you obviously had plenty in the tank at the end.

VTR - hope you're over your experiences now!

Good running from many others - look after those knees Birch & BI!

Oh, and welcome to Jason.

So, the Salisbury 10 yesterday. Perfect conditions, so set out at goal pace of 6:40ish. Mile 1 bang on 6:40, went past RFJ for those that remember him, who said he hadn't been great and would be happy with anything sub-70, so I pushed on. 6:33 feeling comfortable, 6:54 lost a bit of concentration, 6:39, back on track and still feeling OK. So all good until the first climb (only gradual, but broke rhythm). At this point, RFJ went past me, and was clearly feeling good. Didn't see him again, so he must have had a decent day! On reflection, I should have tried harder to stay with him, but as the course turns for home, it goes through an undulating 4 miles, and I went through a bad patch. 7:09, 7:09, 7:10, 6:58 tells its own story. Flattens out again for the final 2 miles, and after a stern word with myself, pulled back to 6:45 and 6:42 for the final 2 miles. A few seconds for the .03 of a mile my Garmin measured over 10 miles, and I finished in a chip time of 68:51, 1:20 slower than last year. Can't help being disappointed with that; felt like the effort level was there through the middle section, but haemorrhaged time. Continues a sequence of disappointing race times over the last year when training suggests I really should be going faster. Will step back for a few weeks while you good folk continue your impressive mara campaigns. Need to consider my training and what I really want to get out of my running.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jason - nice 20 with no slowdown image

Surrey R - GFA is what its all about but  the goalposts could move next year as there are too many getting GFA now it seems image 

0053- 3:01 so near and yet not there ,wish her well image

Abbers- time to change the training around a bit and see what comes out ,nice time all the same and only 1 min slower isn't a disaster !

6 easy this morn , 1 hr swim lesson then straight out the door for another 4  Tired now image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

3rd April - TAUNTON - Hilly -  Do the best I can on the day
    10th April - MANCHESTER - SJ- sub 3.15 (if can get some miles in) Run-walk experiment
    10th April - MANCHESTER - Gerard - No fixed time goal as yet, the training in the next few months will determine that.
    10th April - MANCHESTER - Poacher - tba
    10th April - MANCHESTER - knight rider - sub 3
    18th April - BOSTON - VTrunner - sub3:15 hopefully (but training conditions may dictate); have fun above all else though.
    24th April - VMLM16 - Joolska - 2.44 - 2.48
    24th April - VMLM16 - PhilipMJones - sub-3 if possible, if not enjoy it.
    24th April - VMLM16 - G-Dawg - Just enjoy my first GFA. Probably be too warm for sub-3.13 (PB)
    24th April - VMLM16 - Lorenzo - aiming for sub-3 at the moment but will take stock closer to the time
    24th April - VMLM16 - Freemers - undecided on time goal but will enjoy the champ start I hope and not disgrace myself
    24th April - VLM16 - Poacher - tba
    24th April - VLM16 - Rodeoflip - Sub-3:15
    2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - I just want to finish since it will be only 5 weeks after a 6 week lay off.  
    21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - target is to not end up with yet another disastrous positive split! Oh, and to finish with knees in one pieceimage
    21st May - White Peak - Poacher - stay honest
    29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Welcome to new posters

Lorenzo that Hadrian's wall race sounds gr-r-r-r-EAT! Crossing the country almost from sea to sea is quite something. There is some relentlessly undulating stuff in the middle. But basically a terrific thing to do. I have walked Newcastle to the Solway, but running it in one go will be even better.

Birch - feeling your knee pain - look after it.

Nice road trip VT - hope you've recovered.

GD that's a good PB - not a long way off 3.00 form over 26.2

Joolska - right about the cake.

Abbers - keep the faith, that wasn't such a bad day.

After the delights of running round Middlesborough last week, it was back to the beach today - training terrain doesn't get better, but sadly I'm so slow I have more than enough time to enjoy the view - OO, Minni, TAR and others will recognise the route of the sublime Northumberland Coastal Run...

/members/images/76130/Gallery/P1010910.JPG

The wet bits were pretty cold... the sea never really warms up.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Fantastic parkrun and 20 mile race OO image

Excellent result for a new PB GD image

Jools - maybe not quite what you wanted but as you say there are positives too, going in the right direction

Abbers - sorry your race didn't go to plan either

Poacher - very jealous of that view.  We spend a couple of weeks in Northumberland most years, absolutely love it. 

My HM wasn't quite what I wanted. Well, I suppose the time (1.38) was what it should have been for a 3 mile steady, 10 mile PMP tempo, but I felt awful all the way round and really struggled.  To cap it all I could feel both achilles niggling and they are sore today.  I get achilles problems periodically, usually can run through it, just need to ease off on speed work for a week or so, and do lots of stretch/massage.foam roller - so i expect Cranleigh on Sunday will be LSR pace throughout rather than anything progressive, and possibly I will stop at 15 rather than do the full 21, but I'll see how it feels. 

But pace wise I am starting to doubt myself as to what pace I am capable of in London, definitely not 3.15 I don't think this year.  I feel I am down quite a few minutes on where I was last year.  I need to give some serious thought to it over the next few weeks.

• Poacher - sounds like you fancy joining me!! Go on, you know you want to.

Chin up Abbers - do you think that there's something in your race strategy that you need to be changing so that you get the results your training deserves?

JT - looks like a good progression apart from getting a bit overexcited in Mile 6. Suggest that you think of the marathon as 8 lots of 3 miles that you have to do in 22 minutes. That'll get you 24 miles in 2:56, after which you'll be able to cruise home.

Freemers - sorry it didn't work out so well for you. Hope to see you at Cranleigh. I'm no. 520, probably in a magenta coloured Dorking & Mole Valley vest.

6.5 miles worth of commuting for me today - brings up 600 for the year so far.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Abbers and Freemers you both seem a bit down after your races for different reasons.It is always wise to analyse and take stock- there is usually a reason that needs to be rationalized. I also had a poor 6 months at the back end of last year. Sometimes its just a waiting game for the form to return.

Great photo Poacher- you are spoilt!