Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

And here are my lap times from yesterday. It's 20 laps so the only variable is me.

Lap Time 1 06:45 2 06:46 3 06:45 4 06:42 5 06:42 6 06:42 7 06:45 8 06:37 9 06:37 10 06:40 11 06:46 12 06:46 13 06:45 14 06:41 15 06:46 16 06:47 17 06:44 18 06:44 19 06:19 20 06:11

• G-Dawg - Thanks for the course info, I have heard a few people say the final section in the industrial estate is no fun, guess I will just try to turn off and get through that bit. I hear the home stretch is great for crowds etc.

OO53 - I know you're right, but I can't help myself image  Great time for yourself yesterday and rock solid pace.. that's something I need to work on.

Lorenzo - yeah, mile 6 was a bit rapid, I do struggle to maintain a steady pace, if I stop concentrating I seem to speed up. Just practice I guess.

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome.

Took the day off today to let the legs recover a bit but will be back at it tomorrow with a recovery run, then intervals and club night on Wednesday.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

KR, really nice 5k time. Well done. Things looking good.

Gul, sweet tempo session.

Birch, hang in there. Hopefully the pace of recovery will increase soon!

BI, take care of that knee. Still close to your last race to careful as you move back into the workload.

GD, nice half PB! And great racing to Jools too.

OO, looking great (and beautiful pacing). Onward with confidence!

Jason, I think you may be in the vicinity to go under, but as others have said. Just go out and see what happens. Can dial things in in subsequent attempts. 

Leslie, nice hat trick! I'd be tired too.

Abbers, tough day at the office. Not sure I have the answers either other than perhaps you simply need more volume to get more aerobic fitness to go with your good speed? Maybe just more running and less spinning and other straining? Not sure though. I still think you did well, particularly nailing the final 2 miles after drifting a bit (which is so easy to do in the middle portion of any race!).

Freemers, bad luck there. I wouldn't put too much stock into the day. Clearly something was off altogether. See how the next weeks play out (I bet you rebound). Also, easy does it on those tender achilles.

I'm finally back home. Did 8 yesterday in Stockholm for the only run of last week. Was OK, but could feel the depletion from the illness and calves got super tight. Today did my subLT session (decided to give it a go even though not fully recovered). Did 11 w/8 fast instead of the normal 13/10. I hung tough but man was it an effort on the faster miles. 10 days ago the fitness was in my hands. I'm holding hope I recover more over the week and nothing was lost. Fragile confidence right now. But will reserve judgment. 

In other news my new Hoka Claytons arrived! Am wearing around the house now. Very light. Decent fit. Will give them a test on a easy run later in the week to see how they compare to the clifton I and II.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - hope a bit of rest sorts out your knee.
    Jason - it's easier said than done, but I would say set yourself a slightly easier target. Personally I still haven't learnt this lesson! "Don't be greedy" I believe is one of this thread's mantras! All the best.
    Birch - good knee management.
    Abbers - still a good effort - don't be too disappointed.
    Leslie - nice triple!
    Poacher - looks slightly more appealing than Middlesboroughimage
    Freemers - sorry you had a tough day at the Broadland HM.
    Lorenzo - 600 is a nice tally so far - you're lead me by 5!
    OO - impressive splits!
    VTr - hopefully you haven't lost much, as you say.
    Manic morning today. Up at 4:00, out at 4:15 for 14 miler. Then walked the dog. Shower, breakfast. Make packed lunches and out of the door at 7:30 to go and catch the bus! Did first 7 @ 8:50 and last 7 @ 7:53.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - I am #247, will definitely have blackshorts and black compression socks...not sure what top as it will depend on weather.  But look out for my purple shoes with fluorescent yellow laces, they will give the game away image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Holy Sh!t, Gul! image

GD

• Jason, really solid 20 there. As a comparison, I am looking at doing a 20 on Sunday and plan 80 minutes for the first 10 and 70 minutes for the second for 2:30 overall (and you did 75 and 70 give or take)  and my target is as near as 3 as I can get, hopefully under.

The difference is, as OO says, first marathons are hard, and probably best not to sweat too much about pace but relax and enjoy it and get a solid marker on the wall.

My current question is the old 5x20 chestnut. I have done 20, 19 and 21 this year and the 20 on Sunday makes 80 miles for my longest 4 runs. I did a 20 before Christmas so do I do another 20, and if so when (I did 20 last weekend and plan one this weekend so 3 in a row may be too much). I have got a 16 and a 17 as backup so even without that, my longest 5 will be 97.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Welcome Jason! Why don't you pace your marathon as absolutely no faster than 7:26mm for the first half and see what's left to hang on to? Biggest risk in a first marathon is feeling great in the first 10miles, hammering it then paying a painful price. If you come through half way a minute behind 3:15 pace you can make a decision about easing off if you feel under the cosh without causing too much damage, or slowly step it up to get back on pace by the early 20s then see what's left. If it was me I'd go full tilt at it but I probably have the most erratic results on here so don't do that.

Abbers, sorry that was a below expectation race. Sometimes it just doesn't fire on the day but your strong finish shows good signs so you might be on track - or maybe you need a Poacher grenade - either way I hope your form comes back soon

Looking forward to the Hoka report VTr

PMJ, I think with your experience and mileage the exact LSR distance probably doesn't matter that much. It's just about getting you to the start feeling fresh and confident. Doesn't help answer your question I suppose but just do whatever feels good!

Take care with those knees and Achilles!

Gul = nut job

Very solid few days for me and even added 3x3min at 5K pace in my lunchtime run. Haven't run that quick since September. Love it.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

This is why Gul is going to whip my sorry a**e in the summer smackdown. He gets up at 0400 to go for a run. image   I found myself wide awake at 0500 the other day and got up to watch Game of Thrones.  image   Gul, I take my hat off to you.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    White walkers with your toast sir?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

White Walkers would be faster than me thesedays, sadly. Even if they weren't walking very fast and had plantar fascia-whatsit

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm only ever awake are 4am due to work or insomnia.

17M for me today. Meant to be 15 but decided to ring the changes and catch the train to Bath and run back along the old railway path, which should have been 16. Path closures and an extra detour due to poor navigation made it 16.75 so it seemed rude not to run round the block. 7.38s so the legs have recovered well.
  • Gul - you're mad. Nuff said.

Freemers - see you there. 

VTr - go easy on yourself. You were laid low and are probably still recovering. See how things are in a week before making a snap judgement.

Had to fit in a short reps session this morning so went for 1600/1200/800/400/200 off 60s recoveries. Pleasing pace that got faster with each lap despite the last couple being on the slight uphill section of the loop. Happy. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gul, my ability to get up early and run has declined with age so hats off to you.

You got me thinking PMJ. I have only done 2*20. One was 22 and the other was the race I did last Sunday. But with several 18's and 19's, my top 5 gives me 98. I'm planning 20 this Sunday, then have a 10k the following week. So there's then one last chance 3rd April & 3 weeks out from the race, before I start to cut back. Any wisdom on this plan welcome, but it looks like 4 20 milers.

Another easy plod tonight but no niggles from the race.      

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul = beast! You have been doing some wicked P&D style runs lately (faster 2nd half). I feel like you should easily dip below 3:15.

SJ, nice fast running. Nothing better.

Lorenzo, like that progression of intervals.

10M today in the Claytons. Pulled a Gul and ran the last 5 miles  at sub8 min pace (final mile 7:08). Started off feeling a bit tired, but easily finished this so maybe a good sign.

The Claytons are interesting. Lighter than the original Cliftons (7 vs 7.7 oz). Front of shoe firmer than rear to promote better push off. Love the soft/stretchy/mimimal upper. They are definitely less cushiony than the original Clifton, but not too far behind. Not as firm as the Huaka. They didn't feel as great for slower plodding (but my legs may have been a little toast/stiff at the beginning) but when I picked things up these felt really great. Overall I like them. Only problem is I developed a small blister on my left arch. Knew I was tempting fate using these on a MLR but couldn't resist. May not be able to use them in the marathon but interested to try after if I can build up some anti-blister karma on that foot. I believe there is another Hoka to pair with this which is even lighter (targeted I think for shorter stuff). Want to try them too.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - interesting concept...
    PMJ - I wouldn't worry too much about the sum of your longest 5 runs - I'm sure you've got enough endurance and miles in those legs.
    SJ - good to hear you're flying again.
    Poacher - No. I'm not running a marathon every few weeks. Hats off to you, Sir.
    Jools - good recovery run!
    Lorenzo - nice half a pyramid session.
    OO - see comment to PMJ!
    VTr - nice fast finish there in your new shoes.
    6 mile recovery run and my legs were feeling tired. Think I was overtaken by a snail in the first mile. Despite only doing 2 weeks hard / 1 week easy, I should rack up a good set of long runs if all goes according to plan. 2 x 20 milers so far I think, then 2 x 21, 2 x 22 and 1 x20. Unlike others, I think I am lacking in endurance so it won't go amiss.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Interesting comments on the long runs. I have done three 20 milers so far and have two planned for the next week with the one on Good Friday being a 22.

Tough track session last night, especially after the race on Sunday. I did a 2 mile warm up which included a few strides that made them average 7.08 pace.

The session was 4x200, 4x175, 4x150, 4x125, 4x100 with a quick walk back to the start of each rep for recovery. I attacked every rep hard and really felt it. The coach pulled me out of the final 4x100s and asked a couple of speed merchants to pace me a 5.40 mile. I knew this was risky as my legs were wobbling like a jelly. I lasted one lap! image.

Great session but I certainly felt the race in my legs. Makes tonight's 10 miler at MP quite an interesting prospect.

GD

• Interesting comments about the Claytons VTr - I've got a pair of Huakas but don't find them as pleasant to run or as light as the Mizunos. My local running shop has started stocking Hokas so might see if they've got the Claytons in, but I'd take a bit of convincing to buy another pair of Hokas.

Sounds like a tough session there GD - do you normally do a speed session and a MP session on consecutive days?

100 miles over the 5 longest runs seems like a good guideline (partly because it's easy to remember!) but it is only a guideline. Since 1 Jan I've managed 3 20s (+/- 30s) a 22.5 and a 23; I've got one more 20 miler in the schedule (3 weeks out).

Working from home today so managed to get out for 15.8 miles up and around Box Hill. Early start tomorrow to head up to Crewe for the day (work, not holiday!) so suspect it'll be a rest day from running.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

VTR- nice fast finish 10 miler in the new shoes image

Gul- we need recovery runs too and extra endurance is probably just what you need.

GD- On the redline image

Lorenzo- nice working lunch image

swim practice this morn then out for a 10 miler later 

• A good 10 mile nonetheless Abbers. Don't let a few disappointing races get to you.

You too Freemers, trust in the training.

Good miles splits there 0053

Strong commitment there Gul - that's a lot to pack into a morning!

Good long run Lorenzo

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Abbers - "taking stock" once in a while is no bad thing, but often form will return of it's own accord if you allow it, rather than forcing it . . . .

Leslie - nice run/swim combo

Freemers - we've all had days like that - see what Sunday brings - any further thoughts on the distance you'll go for ?

Lorenzo - cracking total by mid-March & excellent midweek run today

VTr - you'll be fine - a week to regain a week's lost training is a good rule of thumb

G-Dawg - keen to hear how the 10 went after the track session ! 

Gul - what GD said re your manic morning !! 

long runs - I like to bag 10 x 20's if I can, with 2 or 3 of them being 22's.  Gives me confidence standing on the line, and in the later stages.  

continued circumspect reintroduction of "faster" running today, with 6 mile fartlek.  

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Ddawg, hardcore sessions there, particularly back to back. Good luck on the fast 10 miler.

Gul, plenty o' long ones I'd say. perhaps will be a difference maker this time?

Lorenzo, I also tried the Huakas and hated them. They felt good the first mile or so and then felt like I was running on concrete. My knees did not mix and I sent them back. The original Clifton was a dream in comparison (finest shoe I've run in hands down). Nice ML/LR there.

Birch, that is a big haul of long ones. I remember you pounding one out every week nearly in your huge comeback campaign recently. How is the knee now?

I've never really tracked my 20s too closely, but looking back I did 7 last time (including a 23 & 4 21s). This campaign in slightly shorter but have done 5 (with a 22 and 21) and plan to do at least 1 more.

Today did 6.5 easy with 10 striders. Legs felt great; good energy; felt strong (and fast) on striders. Getting there slowly. Will see how my subLT goes tomorrow.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - tough track session indeed - great effort!
    Lorenzo - nice hilly MLR. Enjoy your jolly in Creweimage
    Leslie - hope the 10 miler went well.
    Birch - never really got the hang of fartlek. Always turns into a more structured interval session!
    VTr - all set for your next sub LT.
    Working from home today, so took a leaf from Lorenzo's book and made the most of it with a 21 mile long run. First 10 miles @ 8:20 m/m and last 11 @ 7:22 m/m. Lots of easy running pencilled in for the next 10 days!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Ha-haa! The race on Sunday and punishing track session Tuesday killed my 10 miler at MP last night. image

Legs were as stiff as boards and the ongoing glute/hammy issue slowed me down. My pal also did the race and track with me and he too felt knackered last night, so we agreed to just run steady, not look at the watches and see what happened.

10 miles at 7.30 pace with a nice chat along the way. That'll do.

GD

• Still good days and bad days for me. Went out for 7 yesterday with the aim of 2 warm up, 3@MP and 2 cool down. Those middle 3 came out at 6:52, 6:54 and 6:51 and felt really hard. On Saturday I did a 6:55 and a three at 7:0x accidentally in the middle of a 21 miler and didn't notice them.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Crewe was once the envy of the world in locomotive engineering - a grand place in our industrial past.

I get up at 4am every Sunday for an LSR.  The other 6 days I have a lie in until rudely awoken by the kids at 6am.

Personally I'm not so convinced about the 5x20 milers or the 5 longest adding to 100 miles.  I did my PB off 2x20 milers and continental runners treat 30km ( 18.6miles) as their longest.  I think it depends on the base you have, the duration of the schedule, the overall volume and the balance of intensity to easy running.  If you have a long (18w) high volume schedule it is inevitable you would get the 5 longest adding to 100 miles.  If you have a good base, follow a short plan with a lot of intensity and MP running then it is inevitable that your 5 longest would be less than 100miles.  Just my 5c.

Notable running by Gul.

I took 3 days off for my leg and knee to repair itself.  I ran 10 miles this morning in slippy conditions and everything was normal so back to action.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

PMJ: I always remind myself that in Jan 2015 I abandoned an attempt at 8M @ MP in a long run because I couldn't even hit 7m/m for 4M (I'd run 2.52 the previous October).  I note from my training diary there were times when mile repeats, theoretically at 10k pace, were only around 6.30m/m. But come the big day, with a full training schedule and taper behind me, MP was 6.28m/m.  Keep the faith!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Really like the last 2 posts. Nice BI and Jools.

**we need a like button in here**

GD

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Tapering is overrated. 18 with 13.1 @ 6.25s on Sunday, 5 easy on Monday, 17 on Tues and 8 yesterday was apparently the perfect prep for a bubka 5 mile pb tonight. 30.20 or thereabouts so just slower than 10k pb pace. Nowt as queen as running!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

As queen as running?

Agreed, IMHO it's "listen too everyone, follow no-one", do you own thing, and sometimes roll that box of hand grenades into the bunker and blow everything up.

6m tonight. Cold. Still pockets of snow on the tops.

My training is a fiasco at the moment, all the more reason to note really good work from Gul, VT, PMJ, Lorenzo and many more.

Back to #gymfail land tomorrow - stay tuned for more bizarre but true stories of people who find gym equipment, and the concept of exercise, utterly mystifying.image