Sub 3h15

Comments

• Lorenzo, a village called Embsay near Skipton. I will keep an eye out for you and OO near the coffee stand...
  • Well run VTR. I am in New York at the moment and can confirm it is unseasonably warm.

LB70 wrote (see)
    They're definitely jangling SH!

I'm on the green start (race no. 27082). Target is to be within the range of 3:05 and 3:09:59, so dream target of 3:04:59, main target of 3:07:30 and c target of 3:09:59 ( though would also of course celebrate if I missed all three but beat my PB of 3:11:25!)

Who else is on the green start and what pace will you be starting at?

Just copy and paste for me, only difference is my number is 28978. Sub 3 is very unlikely but need to give it a go so may start out with the 3 hour pacer but likely plan is to fall off pretty soon and settle down for a 1:32 first half and 1:33 second for 3:05.

The real issue is I am probably in 7 minute pace but sub 3 is 6:52 and those extra 8 seconds are probably too far a reach.

• Nice one VTr! Enjoyed reading your report and build a picture of a tough race with the hills - well done sir. Enjoy the rest of your time there.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Race number 210.  Fairly narrow target band: 2.47-2.49 would see me happy.  Legs felt quite a lot better today after a rubbish race on Saturday.  Hopefully Saturday's race was bad because I didn't care enough and I've conserved plenty for Sunday!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Great effort VTr, Boston seems a pretty tough course.

I'm starting of at the Red gfa and my number is 30600. My plan is to try for 2.55, trouble is the 5 miles today with 2 at mara pace seemed like hard work.image

We'll see on Sunday.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTr - That's a beautifully executed & courageous run. Well done sir!

JT - I'm sure you will improve on all those times as you gain more experience. Onwards and upwards.

Gul - Not long now then.

I'm getting excited for all the London posse now. Have to try and get over some year, even to if it was to spectate and drink beer afterwards. image 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Embsay? We used to have "Andy from Embsay" post on here. I'll bet he's one of your neighbours Neil.

Lots of very tight target bands. image exciting!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    3k swim followed by fast 2hr bike session with some speedy chain gang action on any flats. Smoking stuff averaging over 25mph when the three of us gelled. Lovely.

1hr run yesterday with 6x3mins at 10K pace. Feeling strong.
  • NM3 - you lucky devil. One of the most beautiful parts of the country in my opinion. I bet the running is fab (assuming you love hills).

Congrats on your Boston performance VTr - sounds like the conditions were tough so to achieve what you did gets a big chapeau from me.

Smoking indeed SJ

Red GFA coffee stand looks like it'll be the place to be at 9am on Sunday. Weather forecast at the mo is cool and cloudy for Sunday, but knowing British weather I suspect that this might change.

6.5 miles worth of commuting runs today. 6 planned for tomorrow before heading over to ExCeL for not just one but two shows!!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

It's getting exciting now seeing all the numbers and targets coming in.
    NM - nice track session. There used to be a poster on this thread called Andy from Embsay a few years ago - bit of a coincidence. Ah, I see SJ has beaten me to it! 
    SJ - some excellent training there.
    Lorenzo - do you do everything in doubles now? Have fun.
    I decided to have a rest today - ankles are a bit sore and they are one of my weak points, so don't want to risk anything at this stage. A rest tomorrow too as it's Miss GD the elder's 18th birthday. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

VTR - congrats on an excellent performance with a strong finish, that course would be a little daunting even without the heat and the not feeling 100%. Your account brings out the enigma of Boston: how can a race which is overall downhill be so difficult to pace? The way those long, late hills play with runners' heads is so powerful too. And the horror of finding that after summiting Heartbreak, the pain is nowhere near over. But presumably you overtook hordes of people near the end. How many kisses did you stop for at Wellesley? Maybe you can find a cooler race somewhere over the next few months and cash in on all that training.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

VLM

Joolska: posh start with heated portaloos? - 210 - 2.47-2.49
    Moof: red gfa - 30600 - 2.55
    PMJ: green - 28978 - 2.59-3.05
    OO: red gfa - 2.59? LB70: green - 27082 - 3.04-3.09
    NM3: red gfa - 30954 - 2.58-3.01
    Poacher: green - 29139 - 3.19  
    Freemers: ?
    G Dawg: sub 3.15?
    Lorenzo: red gfa - 31909 - 2.59/3.04/3.06  

Any more for any more?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

VLM

OO: red gfa - 2.59?
    LB70: green - 27082 - 3.04-3.09
    NM3: red gfa - 30954 - 2.58-3.01
    G Dawg:  Green - 27394 - 3.07 - 3.13

My legs feel weird. Did 4 miles yesterday with 2 at MP (7.12). Left hammy is still an issue, hip flexor started to play up, right thigh came into play and the whole run should have felt easier than it did. Maybe I was/am still recovering from the sports massage on Monday night. My previous sports massage resulted in a shocking 20 miler the following morning but a cracking sub-70 10 miler 3 days later. So, I know it can come back to me.

I've had pains in my left glue/hammy for every single run on this campaign, I guess I'll just have to run through it on Sunday as usual.
    Feeling low today, maybe the expo will cheer me up with some retail therapy tonight?

GD

• Well, my intentions to post regularly here this campaign came to virtually nothing.  I’ve dipped in to lurk occasionally, particularly the last couple of weeks to read the reports from Manchester, Boston etc.  Some inspiring tales, so well done to all.  Suffice to say that Manchester is no longer on my list of alternatives to London next time I fail to secure a place.

So, we’re nearly there.  Expo opens in an hour or so, the road closure signs are up on Embankment and last night I changed my regular run home from work to take in Birdcage Walk and the Mall.  Judging by the number of runners around, I suspect I was not the only one to have had that thought process.

My training has gone quite well overall:

January was strong (212 miles – a record for me) and helped by the fact that I had kept the training going through Nov/Dec better than I usually do.

Feb was less good (around 130m), being disrupted by work getting busy and a holiday to South Africa, and whilst I did find myself a 0.5m loop inside my safari lodge to run around like a nutter, it was far from ideal in 38C heat. February’s highlight was that I ran the Brighton half in 1:27:40 which is the first time I have dipped under 1:30 since 2011 I think.

March saw the mileage get back up to 200m and I was starting to feel good. But then I ran the Finchley 20 in 2:19:xx – 6:59m/m and a 20m PB for me (although I don’t often run them flat out). However, I pretty much did on this occasion, perhaps unwisely, and my legs were trashed after this and don’t seem to have recovered since.

All running since then has felt difficult, laboured and somewhat uncomfortable and whilst I have kept the mileage going and managed a few quality sessions I haven’t managed to do the sharpening in the last 6 weeks that I would have liked.  My list of niggles is: tight hamstrings (particularly left), sore left Achilles, bruised toe.  I have a sports massage booked tonight but I had one two weeks ago and it had only limited impact.

If I was feeling good and well tapered I would be gunning for a PB, no question (3:05:48) and may even have been tempted to have a crack at an unlikely sub 3.  As it is, provided I feel reasonable on the day, I expect sub 3:10 will be the target with PB as a possible stretch if the first half goes well.  I will probably set off at 7:00-7:10 pace and then adjust based on HR/feel. I’ve often felt rubbish during the taper right down to the last easy run but it is surprising how it usually turns out OK on the day:  G-Dawg – keep the faith!

I’m on Green GFA this year. Off to expo tomorrow to pick up double espresso gels, beetroot shots and an overly optimistic pace band.

Anyway, enough about me.  Good luck everyone.  Enjoy the day and here’s hoping you smash your targets.  I look forward to reading all the reports.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Good to see GE posting again, and that has tempted me to take to the keyboard again after lurking for a few weeks to let all you spring marathoners get on with your prep.

Loved reading the reports from Manchester, Brighton, Boston, etc. which are always inspiring, regardless of outcomes. Some fantastic performances put in, not always in the best of circumstances, so my respect to all of you who toed the line and got it done.

I'll be tracking avidly on Sunday and wish all the thread Londoners well; conditions look cool & cloudy with a bit of a breeze, so not too bad at all. Hoping for a great set of results.

Doing a bit here, but need to sort out my race plans for the rest of the year to give myself some concrete targets, and then try to combine that with the cricket season without getting injured!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good run VTR and a nice report.  I think you suffered from a lack of heat acclimatization given that you live and train cold for most of the year - it literally stopped me and slowed me many times when I first came to SA.  Boston is a tricky course as it is very choppy so difficult to pace, particularly if a runner overdoes the downhill and damages their quads.  It sounds like you had a great overall experience despite not feeling too good in the race.  Same again next year?

Great bit of fun training SJ.

A day off here after 8 days running.  I'm feeling rather too tired and too sore and need to step back from the brink.

Finally there is some good tapering news.  A recent study is showing that dark chocolate could have the same nitric oxide endurance boosting qualities of beetroot juice (it tastes a little bit better though, and doesn't cause so much gastric distressimage):

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/article/1640/18-apr-2016-eating-dark-chocolate-every-day-could-help-boost-athletic-performance-kingston-university-research-reveals/

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Excellent work BI

Nom nom nom

Welcome back GE and Abbers! image
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Welcome back, GE and Abbers.

So it was a good idea to eat dark chocolate eclairs this week, then?  Excellent!  It's been cheering me up, in any event.

7M with 2  @ MP to follow later today.  Gradually fixing the racing brain, a day at a time.  

And I hate to disappoint, but the loos are simply more plentiful, not heated.  We don't even get the posh ones with sinks that we used to image

• Good to see all the targets up in black white.

Your training looks to have gone well GE - good Brighton Half time.

Hope the ankles soreness eases Gul.

I'm with you too Abbers about targets for the rest of the year. Need to get something in my head as I don't like not having anything to aim/train for (event though it's not a marathon!).

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Dark chocolate. Yum. Sounds like perfect London prep Jools!

Slokey, my lurking time has included a week up in your neck of the woods, staying in Elterwater for the week after Easter. Weather behaved enough to get in 3 significant days in the high fells and a couple of other ambles besides, plus a few miles in the trainers. Lovely week all in all, about 24 miles walked in 17 hours with ~6500 feet of ascent (covering Langdale Pikes, Pike o'Blisco & Coniston Old Man, including building a snowman on the top) which isn't bad for the 6 & 7 year old Ms As. Plenty of over eating and over drinking too! image

KR - thinking about the New Forest 10 miles in mid-summer, then a couple of autumn HMs. Need to check dates though, as a lot fall on the same couple of weekends in early October. Might even consider a mara for next year.

• G-Dawg wrote (see)

VLM

NM3: red gfa - 30594 - 2.58-3.01

Corrected my number to 30,594 as it was transposed...
    Targets after London have been on my mind too, I would prefer something completely different to marathon, maybe

• a duathalon cos I swim like a Granny
    • Or get my HM time down to sub 1h20
    • Or run Coast to Coast

The benefit of beetroot is you tend not to have two lumps when one will do whereas chocolate...

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Jason, I missed your race report but just read through. Outstanding job on your debut marathon! You will easily go sub3:15 this fall. This a fun stage where improvements will be rapid (and sometimes massive!). Enjoy the journeyimage

SJ, I still have 2 pairs of Clifton 1s left and used one in the race (saving the other pair for my next one!). I only wore the claytons 1 time because they gave a massive blister on one arch after just 6 miles. Debating whether to return or try to slowly build up as I did like them. I also saw that this summer the Clifton 3 comes out and is supposed to be like the original (but looks to be an ounce heavier).

Jools, you sell yourself short. I think you do need some serious talent to get to sub3! For me, that is the true line in the sand. Along those lines, have been doing the same type of training for a few years now and the huge PBs have diminished over the past year (my last 3 marathons were 3:21, then 3:09, 3:09 and now 3:16 Boston...I think the Boston time would translate to about 3:08 on the course where I did the 3:09s). I will pick the brains of all of you in the upcoming weeks to see what I might do to mix things up and break through again. My training has been pure HADD meaning 2 x 10 mile subLT runs at say 80-83% max HR (which translates into MP effort),then a long run, and other recovery/MLR to get me to around 70ish miles on full weeks and about 50 on cutback (no subLT on cutbacks, just easy running). So a typical marathon training week for me is:

Monday 13 w/10 at subLT

Tuesday 10-12 easy

Wed 8 miles easy plus striders

Thursday 13 w/10 at subLT

Friday 6-7 easy (and maybe striders thrown in)

Sat 20-22 easy (or sometimes progressive)

Sun off

So that has built a solid engine and I can get around in the races strongly. But it is obvious that I have no speed work and am therefore neglecting my VO2 max (?). I was thinking maybe I should spend the next 6 months training to race 5K to say half marathon distance and just work on speed. My best 10K last year was 39:45 and my best 5K (which I've done few of) was 19:50. In high school I was a 50 flat 400M runner so know I have more speed for this shorter stuff. Plus, I love intervals, etc. I guess what this really means is I need a coach! Please give suggestions as several of you have pushed from this place to get under 3.

Poacher, you speak the truth about Boston! Nice job summarizing exactly what it is like to run that course. And yes, I passed hordes of people pretty much starting at mile 10, but particularly in/after the hills. It was game of Frogger in the last 4 miles. Not sure I can find a cool weather race before autumn at this point but agree would be nice to run a fast one as felt I was in great race shape. And no kisses (my honey is my one and only!image).

BI, thanks for the nice words. I agree, no way to properly acclimate. But that is just part of this course (or any of the spring marathons out here really). Not sure about Boston next year, but thinking this may have been enough for now. That said, my sister in law now wants to do it after cheering this time. Perhaps I could pace her and make it a training run? That could be fun and perhaps a better way to soak in the grandeur of the event. 

In other news, scared of stairs today.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Moof: red gfa - 30600 - 2.55 
    PMJ: green - 28978 - 2.59-3.05 
    Freemers: ? 
    Lorenzo: red gfa - 31909 - 2.59/3.04/3.06  
    Golden Eagle: green - sub 3.10

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Distraught to hear about the rubbish facilities for elites...

VTR - as I understand it, running Boston even once is the dream for vast numbers of American runners. There is no real equivalent in the UK. So if you are fit, and qualified, why not cash in?  Pacing a relative would be fun too. "You're a long time retired", as footballers* say.

Just back from the VLM expo and saw this....

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20160420_124858.jpg

On the right is Steve Jones, former WR holder and, shockingly, still UK record holder after more than 30 yrs.  This says what you need to know about the state of elite marathon here. Jones said several people he coaches are running on Sunday, and he will be watching near the finish, as he is "not the sort of person who would follow someone on the interweb".  Bless!

Be warned: (a) the official plastic kit bag thing is far smaller this year, and (b) the goody bag at the expo is the thinnest ever.

(*soccer players)

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Poacher, if I'm not mistaken, the guy on the left is wearing the 2016 Boston jacket! And yes, Boston is the holy grail in the States (hence I bought said jacket at the expoimage).

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

7M with 2 @ MP done and dusted.  Came out at 6.23s, which I'd definitely take.  12s/mile faster than I managed for this session last year!

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    Poacher wrote (see)

Moof: red gfa - 30600 - 2.55 
    PMJ: green - 28978 - 2.59-3.05 
    Freemers: ? 
    Lorenzo: red gfa - 31909 - 2.59/3.04/3.06  
    Golden Eagle: green - sub 3.10

Ssc blue start -sub 3hr15

Oh go on then, you twisted my arm! Training has gone well, averaged over 40 miles per week compared to last years 3:15:52 on 30 miles average. Still have nagging gremlins in back of mind after blowing up in recent 20m race but am telling myself to focus on the many strong runs not one bad one.  Good luck everyone!

Looking forward to demolishing anything made by Cadburys next week!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Abbers, Elterwater is a lovely spot - good walking by the juniors!

VTr - Having followed a maffetone style build for previous IMs I know what you mean about losing your top end of speed. I've found it doesn't take long to get it back though with a couple of interval sessions per week for a few weeks. Some big gains to be had in leg speed. Your shorter distance PBs do look a bit soft.

If I was in your climate I'd train through the summer for a "fall" marathon and hibernate over the winter.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey- 25 mph you are flying now !

Gul- take it easy now ,don't want to overdo it.

GE- I think racing that finchley 20m has scuppered many a london mara campaign ,hope you can get recovered in time for the big day.

VTR-its often said you need an 83 min half as a man to go sub 3 so that's were I would focus some effort image

Bikeit - no wonder you are tired just hang in there 

Jools-12 secs a mile sounds a lot like 2:47 image

4 easy tight hammy slow ones after nightshift image

• Good to hear from you GE - will we be seeing you in Chandos on Sunday?

Also at Expo today - must just have missed you Poacher as I was in the Academies Show next more for most of the day but then headed down the corridor. Heard Martin Yelling speak (and he was quite funny), had an interesting chat with a guy from the European Space Agency and nibbled plenty of bits of Clif bars every time I passed their stand but all in all, it felt as though it was missing something. 

Maybe it was just because it was Day 1 and there were fewer people (hence I picked up my number without having to queue).

Still, at least I've stocked up on beet shots, gels and a list as long as my arm of overseas marathons I'd fancy competing in.

Cheer up GDimage

Nice pacy run there Jools - looking very promising for Sunday.

Wish I could say the same for my 5 with 2@MP this morning - not sure whether it's just because I wasn't in the right zone but averaging 7:10 doesn't bode well. I was doing it to feel, and it did pretty easy but still a bit concerning. Will definitely be looking out for the sub-3 pacer to give me one less thing to have to think about.