Sub 3h15

Comments

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - nothing much to add to what Poacher, Badbark and SJ said.  If it was me I'd just be doing easy aerobic stuff, with Long runs at the weekend being 40-50km once I'd recovered from London.  Also running back-2-back MLR-LSR on successive days can poke the endurance a bit further.

Never used First, but did review the plan some time ago and it looks a bit too much as if it would push me to the injury zone.  BTW, Alsoran did Hansons and started a thread about it - I don't think that worked for him either.

360 miles for April.  40km run this morning which was super-easy so good indicator that things are going right. 91miles for the week achieved off 4 days running this week (2 rest days and 1 sick).  The three other days were pretty much identical with a 10 mile run to the office, 10 miles at lunchtime and a 4 mile commute back home in the evening.  Now sitting at 1111 miles YTD.

This week I've started to add a bit of quality back with 4X1km and more of that to follow next week as the mileage starts to decrease.

Alarmingly I had to use a running jacket this morning for the first time in 9 months as it was just 6C.

Happy running all.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    1hr bike then 1hr45 run on the fell in wild wind and rain with my bedraggled border collie. Truly glorious.
  • Strange name for a dog !!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I've called him worse things!
  • The above list got me reviewing all the events I have booked/planned for the rest of year, looks like a pretty full calendar. Not sure I will make all of them, the Gosport half could get dropped, depending on how Abingdon goes and the Butser challenge is a tad hilly. What is anyone else doing? or am I just too OCD (or possibly stupid) planning my whole year out in advance!!!

8th May - Lymington 10k (paid)
    19th June - Solstice 10k (paid)
    22 July - Portchester castle 10k (paid)
    14th August - Thames Meander  (to pay)
    4th September - Maidenhead Half  (to pay)
    18th September - Butser Hill Challenge (?)
    2nd October - Standalone 10k (paid)
    23rd October - Abingdon Marathon (paid)
    20th November - Gosport Half  (?)
    4th December - Portsmouth Victory 5 (to pay)

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I have my year planned out JT. Nothing wrong with that. I even have races planned for next year AND the year after....
  • I am not sure I have carried out the recommended post London marathon recovery. I managed a swim on Thursday and I had a 5km race on Friday (went badly) and today I completed a half marathon - I started slow then picked up the pace but at 9 miles my legs complained which meant for a tough final four miles but just scraped under 1.35.

I think a week off is called for.

Not much planned over the summer apart from the club summer series (a lot of 10km races - I am determined to break 40 min) and then Snowdonia marathon in October.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Paul b - bad day out by the sound of it 

LB70  p&d used by many to great effect !, If you can do the long runs with up to 14 @ mara pace in a 20 and all the midweek long runs you should be well prepared. There are some who just cannot run a sub 3 despite having all the speed they need but you won't be one of those image You clearly need to change a few things and see what happens image

Bikeit awesome effort and monthly total image

DG- careful not to overdo it 

42m for the week.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Happy birthday thread yet again image - this all started with a VLM 2007 discussion, followed by 10 yrs of wide ranging conversation, along with a bit of running, some of it quite fast. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wow doesn't seem that long Poacher, shall we drink some cyber Champagne to celebrate?

Quick post from the lakes. 1:27:30 at the Keswick half yesterday. Slightly up on last years time and 15th overall. Some very tough hills en route so fairly happy with that.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Wow 0053, I live in the Lakes and I know what "undulating" means around Keswick, so that's a pretty amazing time. Well done!

Having run my nads off last year to get sub-3:15 (took 4 attempts in 2 months), just ran sub-3:10 at VLM last week. Chuffed to bits, GFA for another 2 years, unless they move the target times significantly!

• Rodeoflip - great stuff. No wonder you're delighted. 

OO - wow, that's no mean feat to run that sort of time a week after VLM. How are your legs feelings?

SJ, BI, Poacher, Badbark - thanks for all the advice. The run is 6 weeks from this coming Saturday so allowing for a 2 week taper (or whatever it would be called in ultra running terms), it gives me five Saturday / Sunday combos to get the long runs in.

Looking back on the Comrades prep last year, I did 3 x 30 milers, but only one of them was between VLM and Comrades - with a bit more time this year, I'll aiming to get at least three in between now and the start of the taper, although on one hand I've made the last bit more difficult by being on holiday during the Whitsun half term. That said, I'll be in the Tatra mountains so with a bit of planning, I should be able to get some decent long hilly runs in.

Badbark - I suspect that getting up to 90 miles a week is going to be pretty tricky, not so much through the risk of injury, but more through time. The other thing I'd be worried about is that too much mileage compromises the quality in my speed sessions and I know that I need to work on basic speed more in a marathon build up. One thing I need to look at is how I could do longer doubles during the week - I'm sure you posted something on this a while back, but what would a typical 90 mile week have looked like for you?

Happy Birthday to the thread!!!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

OO- I'm impressed with that HM only one week after London, that's a great run.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I ran the Belfast Marathon today just 6 weeks after a long lay off due to an operation. My goal was to break 3 hours as I’ve never done it in 6 previous attempts in Belfast. My only run over 20 miles in training was another marathon 2 ½ weeks ago. I didn’t really taper, including running my fastest Parkrun of the year on Saturday.

My plan was to average about 6:40 to 6:45 m/m pace until 20 miles so I could coast at 7 m/m pace to the end. There was a 20 mph wind from the west which meant it was at our backs for the first 4 miles then a head wind for the next 4. After this we headed mostly north then south so shouldn’t be affected too much.

I went through the first 4 miles in 6:29, 6:37, 6:33 and 6:39 with the help of the tail wind. Into the head the next miles took 6:54, 6:49, 6:50 and 6:52 so everything just about perfect. Although I was about 2:56 MP at this stage the 3 hour pacer group were well ahead and completely out of sight.

All but one of the next 6 miles were a steady climb which I took in 6:42, 6:49, 6:37, 6:48, 6:53, 6:57. I went through half way in about 1:28:20 so exactly were I wanted to be after the long hill. One of the reasons I dislike the Belfast course is we then get most of the climb back within a quad busting 1 ½ miles. I completed these in 6:00 and 6:25 passing one of the three hour pacers who was hobbling. The other pacer and his group were still out of sight.

The next miles were pretty flat but a bit annoyingly, when we turned south the wind was now coming from the south west. I completed these in 6:40, 6:47 and 6:40 reaching 20 miles in about 2:15. Although the wind would be in our face until 25 miles I was feeling fantastic and decided I wasn’t going to drop the pace.

The next mile took 6:34 then I finally spotted the 3 hour pacer group well ahead. I knew the early fast miles would come back to bite after 20, and I was proved right as I cruised passed runner after runner falling off the back of the group. Next was 6:55 catching the pacer at 22 miles. There was only one runner with him and he was struggling. I was so glad to see it was the guy who ran at my heels for 26 miles in a marathon in January! Teeheeimage

I couldn’t have felt better and just kept picking off runners going through the next miles in 6:43, 6:30, 6:49 and 6:44. This included a nasty incline, but it was great to power up it feeling strong as an ox.

I spotted a few more rivals ahead that usually beat me which helped me keep turning the screw. The last full mile was down hill a bit and I overtook my rivals running 6:27. I show boated at the end with aeroplane winged arms crossing the line in almost exactly 2:56.image

Yes! At my 7th attempt I had finally broken 3 hours in the Belfast Marathon. This was my 30th marathon (or further) in total and 13th sub 3. It took me 9 marathon to break sub 3, but I’ve managed every time I’ve tried since, unless I had a marathon within a week before. Belfast is usually scuppered by me running London. I was also delighted to have run a negative split and not one single person overtook me from 14 miles.

I felt brilliant afterwards with no tightness in the legs at all. In fact I felt so good I decided to turn the day into an ultra marathon training session. I got my family to drop me off on our way home in the car so I could run another 7 miles! I nearly regretted this while their car pulled away and my legs felt like lead. However, within half a mile I was feeling better and averaged 8:20 pace until home. Including my warm up I ran 34 miles toady, and if it wasn’t for the break would have run an unofficial 50k PB.image

Next up is the Newry Marathon in 4 w

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Whoops, it didn't quite fit -

Next up is the Newry Marathon in 4 weeks time then the 100k 13 days later. Does anyone think I’ll take it easy in Newry?imageimage

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Blimey, Badbark, you are a machine!  Congratulations on a brilliantly paced marathon.  I am in awe of your achievements this year!

• 'king 'ell Badbark - awesome. Simply awesome. sub-2:55 in Newry?!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Fantastic effort, Badbark - and nice one with the "heel clipper" - I remember your report of his antics  . . . .  

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

Badbark - I suspect that getting up to 90 miles a week is going to be pretty tricky, not so much through the risk of injury, but more through time. The other thing I'd be worried about is that too much mileage compromises the quality in my speed sessions and I know that I need to work on basic speed more in a marathon build up. One thing I need to look at is how I could do longer doubles during the week - I'm sure you posted something on this a while back, but what would a typical 90 mile week have looked like for you?

Happy Birthday to the thread!!!

Here is my longest ever (and still) week of 107.5 miles before I tapered for the Dublin Marathon in 2013. The first four days were doubles, which I ran by parking my car 5.5 or 3.5 miles from work. I added miles in the morning by getting up earlier and ran easy back to my car later. I managed 2:54 in Dublin having run 2:56 in London earlier in the year peaking at 100 miles. Before these two marathons I’d never run faster than 3:10 off a 70 mile peak.

9.5 + 5.5 easy double  =15

16.5 miles  including 3 x 2 mi tempo + 6 x 0.25 mi & 3.5 easy double =20

10 + 5.5 easy double  =15.5

15 with 10 MP & 5.5 back to car (only managed 7 mp) =20.5

5.5 easy + carpark =6.9

22 with 12 mi MP +60 then 10 MP including Parkrun =22

7 miles easy  -  8 x 10 with hill sprints =7.6

Well done OO, that's a great performance on tired legs. Happy birthday Thread!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

0053-nice post london speedy half

Rodeoflip- great mara time 

Happy birthday to the thread image

Badbark- I bet you enjoyed seeing your shadow again for a smackdown ,did someone mention karma image

not much point in a pacer though if they run the legs of those hoping to be paced to a pb image

• Badbark - I have no idea how people like yourself manage to run like that, it's truly amazing. Awesome running and very inspirational to us newbies.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Nice one rodeoflip! Whereabouts in the Lakes are you based?

Cracking result OO - you lot are mental racing so soon after a marathon. I'd have my feet up.

BB - you'll get a reputation if keep this up.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

Bloody hell Badbark, great run. Your half way split is exactly the same as mine and my finish was 2.56 on the dot! Only difference is I had to train for mine.image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Belfast mara fast lady ,3:19 to 2:48 in a year !:image

The brilliant Laura Graham is a mum of four who ran the London Marathon recently and is going on a well-earned holiday tomorrow.

She runs for the Mourne club and she came home in a time of 2:48; beating last year considerably when she posted a time of 3:19.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Well played at the Keswick half OO. Nice time on a tough course & only a week after London. You must have great powers of recovery.

Nice flying at Belfast BB. You are a great example of putting in the necessary hard miles and bringing in the well deserved performances. 107.5 in a week is a lot, but clearly your high mileage approach pays off.

Monday was a rest day, compensated by a beautiful 13 mile walk over local fells with Mrs. F1, with improving lakeland views as the weather broke and the sun came out.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I had a few drinks last night and despite getting to sleep quickly awoke about 2 am and couldn’t sleep again. I gave up trying at 4 am and was out running before 5. 

One good thing about not much sleep is that my legs haven’t tightened yet, so I managed another 15 miles. That’s 50 miles total within a 22 hour window! Perfect ultra training.

I’ve just put my time from yesterday on the Marathon Talk events page and I think I might be top of the podium.  image

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

If you can smile like this after 19 miles you know it's going to be a good day!

/members/images/539963/Gallery/Belfast_Marathon_2016-5212.jpg

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

OO - excellent run on that course a week after VLM. Shows you were always in sub3 form and some.

Rodeo - nice work, well done

BB - mad as a badger, but outstanding at the same time.

Lorenzo - don't even think about adopting BB-style mega mileage. Would 3 x 30m between now and the race leave enough in the legs for the day? The Tatras are lovely, good place to do stg long/hilly and practice fast walking uphill. Which area/country are you going to?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic effort Badbark really impressive.

Legs trashed here, turns out I was 12th my best ever finish I think.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wow doesn't seem that long Poacher, shall we drink some cyber Champagne to celebrate?

Quick post from the lakes. 1:27:30 at the Keswick half yesterday. Slightly up on last years time and 15th overall. Some very tough hills en route so fairly happy with that.