Sub 3h15

Comments

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Looking lean and fast there Gul. No sign of carpet slippers just yet.

That's a decent set of reps there PMJ.

With a consistently well behaving hip, I risked some cycling this morning. Now, I've not been on the bike since September and have been missing it so. 
    55 minutes over a hilly course was very pleasant. No complaints from the hip, but some strength work later in the day, just to keep it that way.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    That's great news Fishy - See you out and about!image

Great report Gul and you look sooo happy on that photo. Love it.

Your wife will be expecting an equally brilliant 50th bd celebration!

I think you get more of a benefit from caffeine depletion of you abstain until just before the race and then seriously dose up - I seem to remember the effect lasts for about 5hrs.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I'd taper caffeine over a week to avoid any side effects and then have one week completely off caffeine. If you get it right and are buzzing on the start line Poacher won't know what's hit him image
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul- nice report and pic ,looks like you were enjoying yourself there ,and perfect first and 2nd half split 19:45/19:46 image 10 years is a long time to wait for a sub 40 !

PMJ- man up ! go down for 6x800m don't leave until you do 6x800m image

• Leslie H wrote (see)

PMJ- man up ! go down for 6x800m don't leave until you do 6x800m image

It is hte best part of 2 miles to the track and 2 miles back, so the last couple of 800s were there but just a bit slower image

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, for the past 2 years I have run a slightly hilly 10K 2 weeks before my relatively flat marathon course. My times for the 10Ks were 40:30 2 yrs ago and 39:45 last year. Both marathons were 3:09:XX so me as an N = 1 certainly supports a sub3:10. And last year, I really thought I would be closer to 3:05 so in my book a 39:30 could put you on the books for even more.

PMJ, way to get some speedy stuff going.

My foot is better today. Strangely I only feel anything while not running. Not sure if this is an injury or not. Took yesterday off and am considering a day off today or just to give it a go. I kind of think I'd be OK running so we'll see.

• Gul - huge congrats on the sub 40 it's a great feeling, love the photo. I know how happy I was to do it in January this year. I would like to try and go further but feel I am going the other way at the moment. Last effort was 40:48. I have 3 10k's over the next 2 months so will see how they go. Hopefully it will set you in good stead for white peak.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Loved your report and thanks for the link. The joy on your face when you crossed the line is priceless. Well done my man and sub 40 is a huge target for many runners and you totally smashed it. Sub 39 has to on the cards for now if you pick a good race and the conditions are favourable. It's a great confidence booster and a timely one too with WP mara coming soon. Happy days and what a fab week of celebrating your birthday too. Awesome all round. image

Badbark - Just read back and I'm super impressed you managed to smash the sub 3 in your latest marathon. 2:56 is a great time. Good luck for your ultra.

OO - That's an incredible half so soon after London. You're made of tough stuff. Not sure I'd mange anything like that so soon after a raced marathon. Well done!

Another barefoot run on the beach today for me,8k in  21c and a warm breeze too. My marshmallow winter feet are beginning to toughen up and I love the steeplechase over the incoming tidal pools too. The local forecast for the next 3 days is sunny 22/23/23c. I'll take that.

A friend of mine who is not really a runner but has been running for a few years now doing various challenges and the odd road race ran the Thames path 100 mile race last weekend and he did it in just over 17hrs. He was 3rd male. Not bad for a footballer. It's not something I would ever be inclined to do but I was very impressed with that effort.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

A friend of mine who is not really a runner but has been running for a few years now doing various challenges and the odd road race ran the Thames path 100 mile race last weekend and he did it in just over 17hrs. He was 3rd male. Not bad for a footballer. It's not something I would ever be inclined to do but I was very impressed with that effort.

4th overall: second overall in 16 hours and 9 seconds was one of my female running friends. Beat the ladies course record by over 90 minutes.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PMJ - yes my friend ran with her for a bit. She is an experience runner with. 2:42 marathon pb. She smashed the record and that was after 2nd place in Manchester a few weeks ago:! Well done to her.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    Oh, and I'd taper caffeine over a week to avoid any side effects and then have one week completely off caffeine. If you get it right and are buzzing on the start line Poacher won't know what's hit him image

I've chucked out the club vest, and made a new one which incorporates a white flag.  It's going to to be a turkey shoot image  Not even worthy to carry Gul's gels.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Don't give in just yet !
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - nice reps nonetheless.
    Fishy - good hill run - one day I will get round to doing some strength work.
    SJ - thanks for the tips on caffeine.
    VTr - my marathon history is fairly abysmal (6:20, DNS, DNF, 3:30, 3:40) - I think I still need a few more to give me the experience required to reach sub 3;15 and beyond.
    Jason - I went backwards with my 10k times last year. I checked and it was my 4th serious attempt out of 7 in all. (47:55, 45:54, 44:31, 40:59, 40:30, 40:52, 39:30). You will get there soon, I am sure.
    GM - next target is to beat Mr sub 39 - enjoy the sunshine!
    Poacher - thanks for the reminder, I'd completely forgotten to fret about the gels!
    Packed up and waved goodbye to the farmhouse this morning, so a rest day it is. Final long run tomorrow hopefully.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great running and excellent reporting Gul. Well done!

Nearly 2 weeks since my last run (VLM, did I mention I got a PB? image )

Sore calf after the bike ride has gone and I'm at the stage of my cold where I would usually go for a run to clear the last bits off my chest.

The hammy/glute thing is feeling much better too. I can tell the difference after I get out of the car each day. looking forward to seeing how it behaves next week when I start running again.

Have a great weekend of running, gang. It's gonna be a scorcher! image

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Yes enjoy the sun!

Sunday brings my date with the annual sufferfest that is the Fred Whitton. 112miles of cycling with 3900m of climbing. What fun!

At least it shouldn't be raining this year....
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - enjoy soaking up the sun and getting ready to hit the road again.
    SJ - all the best for Sunday you crazy fool! Maybe one year it will be a cool, calm, dry day for the Fred Whitton.
    Took the opportunity to try and acclimiatise for the heatwave and went out for a speed walk at luncthime. About 2.2 miles in 27 mins. Must try harder.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

SJ: Is that the epic adventure with multiple punctures last year? Awesome tale.

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    That's the one GD. 4 of the blighters! I'll be checking my tyres beforehand this year.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - all the best with the Fred Whitton. Hope the weather (and puncture count) are kind...

Gul - sounds like you've had an excellent week!

GD - glad you're on the mend.

First league match of the new cricket season tomorrow. Could be interesting with the club down to the bear bones with university lads away, and a large contingent of regulars off on a club mate's stag weekend. Dreadful panning! Will do an easy 10 or so first thing to warm up.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey- all the best and take about 10 tubes this time as you are sure to NOT get a puncture if you do  image

Abbers -I hope you don't get a dreadful panning tomorrow image

10 mile progression peaking at 6:38 in mile 9 , average 7:24/mile after nightshift image

#coming back baby !

• Sometimes the numbers get too much: here is today's run in pictures.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6_OxrGpfVf8/VyzuiQXfKsI/AAAAAAAACIM/GwpnFVbc6awFy2cWWDSRN2nmKJGnniLCQCCo/s1152/collage-2016-05-06.png

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice pix PMJ - is that Dartford?

Abbers - you need to bowl like Murali, bat like Kohli, field like Rhodes & catch like Chris Jordan. Victory will follow.

Legs still a bit rubbish so went out on the MTB this afo. 14m was quite tiring image - can't even begin to imagine what SJ will be doing this w/e. Respect! And enjoy.

Gul - happy to carry gels for you - but on current form I will be 1/2 an hour behind so take a deckchair and be prepared to wait. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Good target to aim for that and a tangible one too.

PMJ - Very nice collage. It does one good sometimes to do that kind of thing.

Leslie - Good progress indeed.

Abbers - Good luck with the cricket, hope manage to hold your own with the depleted squad.

SJ - Good luck with that and I bet you're looking forward to it in a way that most couldn't even comprehend.

G-Dawg - Glad to hear the hammy is letting up.

Busy w/end this end with very little chance of running. My son is playing in a football tournament which goes on all day tomorrow against teams visiting from France and Guernsey. Last w/end he played U8 tag rugby for Je rseyin the inter-insular against Guernsey and they smashed them, he was extra delighted to be chosen as captain of the A team and won player of the tournament scoring 18 tries. Not bad for his 2nd sport. We've got another public holiday Monday here as it's Liberation day. Weather looks pretty good.  On an aside, I paid a visit to the quack today to get things checked out as I am still not right post Manchester. Have to go back for bloods and scans next week. Very strange symptoms that have been lingering for 3 weeks so will be good to find out what is going on. Have a lovely w/end all.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hope you get sorted out soon GM. Your lad is quite an athlete. Yes, looking forward to it very much image

Swim and run yesterday and same today with 8miles to the pool, 3k swim and 2miles back home.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Thanks, he loves it and is super driven and studious for a 7 year old. Sounds like a top double there, very nice. I can't wait to start getting in the ocean for a few swims now that the weather is warming up. Sea temp is still cold though but don't mind that so much as long as the air temp is warm. Unlike you I don't stay in there too long. image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Sea swimming - need to do a bit of that. Windermere was 11deg today so getting close to "Baltic but manageable".

A guy from our tri club is currently cycling from Lands end to John O'Groats then back to Windermere over a week or so. Next day swimming the length of Windermere (11miles ish in 11degree water). The next day starting the Brathay 10 in 10 (Brathay - Windermere marathon every day for 10 days with the last day the actual race). How's that for nutty?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - Your man tops hazel and pecan or any other nut that is defined as one. image

Sea temp here is around 11c at the mo but should rise rapidly in the next few months. Normally peaks around mid Aug at 19c. I remember when we had a very hot summer back in 200x, can't quite remember the year but it was a consistently hot summer, it might not have been the highest temp recorded ever but we had a few months of very warm weather and the sea temp peaked around 22c in August. The only reason I know that is because I used to go to this very secluded bay on my day off work and met a chap who owns a massive property nestled on the beach with it's own private bay and I was swimming there and he was too. He was taking the temps and said he swam there for many years almost every day in the morning and had never known it to be so warm. It was magic, stayed in there for hours on end and chatted nicely to that dude. It's a great spot for bass fishing too.

• GM - great that your lad is so into sport at that age. Very important to be there on the sidelines supporting him.

SJ - good luck at the Fred W on Sunday. Have you put your nutty mate in touch with Badbark?!

Glad you're feeling better GD

Gul - I think you said that the White Peak was reasonably flat so I'm going to stick my neck out and say you'll go sub-3:10. However, I honestly suggest that you run it without a GPS watch and go by feel or just use a normal watch and the mile markers. If you relax and enjoy it, you'll surprise yourself; if you worry about pacing throughout, you'll tense up and it'll be a nightmare. All you've really got to do is stay a decent way ahead of the guy wearing a dress and a collection of fruit on his head!

At the moment I'm focusing on getting back up to a decent amount of easy miles. I worked from home today so headed out early for a trip up and round Box Hill - 15.6 miles in total in very pleasant conditions. Younger Lorenzito fancies going out for a run with me tomorrow morning so it looks like it could be an off-road 10 miler; just need to find a route that he doesn't know so he's got the incentive to stay with me rather than hare off into the distance.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - careful now - you know how dangerous cricket is!
    Leslie - back indeed - nice one!
    PMJ - nice photos - I can't even take ones as good as that when I'm standing still!
    Poacher - yes, that is a slight logistical issue, isn't it?
    GM - quite a weekend lined up. Hope the tests pinpoint what's going on and you're on the mend soon.
    Lorenzo - Hope you can keep up with younger Lorenzito today! And yes, no need to obsess with pacing every minute at White Peak. Perhaps I could wear a hat with gels pinned to it! (I'll give the dress a miss though).
    Slight delay in getting out this morning as I had some vomit to clean up. Even when they are 18, children keep you busy! So not quite a LR, but 16 miles d&d. 8 miles out @ 8:11 m/m and 8 miles back @ 7:23m/m. 2 weeks to go image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Nice picture diary there PMJ - much better than stats!

Hope the MTBing eased the strain on your legs Poacher. Were you off road in the Peaks?

Good luck for tomorrow Slokey. May the gods of Schrader and Presta smile upon you!

Early morning biking today in the beautiful spring sunshine.