Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great stuff, Lorenzo! Fantastic determinaction and mental fortitude to see something like that through, really impressive.

Just an undulating 8 miler for me yesterday at 7.08 pace. Felt surprisingly fresh after the first mile, finished with a 6.38 as a treat.

Saw Coldplay at Wembley last night, what an awesome show, outstanding!

GD

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers- nice to hear you are back in full time work again image

Lorenzo- Well toughed out and nice placing with a strong finish Well done image

0053- Enjoy the coastal paths 

11 easy this morn giving me 53 mile for the week .

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Excellent work Lorenzo! What a great result image How are the legs after that?

In France now, had a lovely gentle ride up the coast, stopped for coffee a couple of times and stopped for lunch, had a swim in the sea (had the foresight to take my goggles out with me image ). The big ride starts tomorrow morning.
  • Great run there Lorenzo.

I did the City of London mile today. Aim was sub 6 and really 5.3x would have been nice. Garmin said 5:40 which is OK, results say 15:43 so I need to chase that up with the organizers: seem they got me a wave ahead.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - good to hear from you. How's the training going?
    OO - enjoy exploring the coast path!
    Lorenzo - that's fantastic! Just finishing is a great achievement, but to smash your sub 14 target and make sub 13 is amazing. Your strategy clearly worked.
    GD - going strong.
    Leslie - good weekly mileage.
    SJ - have a great time in the Pyrenees!
    PMJ - well done, that's a good time and very close to your target. Hope the result is sorted out.
    Did another 9 miles yesterday to give a final total of 65 for the week. All these slow miles meant that I was only just short of 10 hours running (can't imagine doing all that in one go and then some more though!) A few more miles that I had planned too, so just 4 this morning. Slow again, of course.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great achievement, Lorenzo - I still can't contemplate any event where the reporter states "as I got to 65 miles I decided that more of a DBS approach was needed "  . .

Nice mile, Philip (that's easier to comprehend - although I guess there was at least a couple of minutes pain invovolved) !   

Normanby Hall 10K yesterday for me, in North Lincs, near to my daughter's base. Build up to this was an 11 day streak up to & inc Thurs of 81 miles, rest Fri, 6 easy on Sat. However, impromptu dinner invitation was issued late Sat afternoon, which was followed by drinks at friend's place.  Bed at 4:15am,  alarm set for 5:45, drive to daughter's, then on to venue !  

Felt a bit light-headed during my 10 mins warmup jog, and then bit odd in the first K, but adrenaline did its job and I just ran as hard as I could!  Went through halfway in 21:50 ( just 5 seconds slower than last week's parkrun), but faded 2nd half to finish in 45:02 gun time (44:58 on my watch).  In all honesty, I don't think the lack of sleep slowed me down that much - apart from a recent couple of parkruns, this was my first race effort of the year, so job done - and no reaction from the niggle issues of this year.  74% WAVa acceptable.

81st overall from 373 finishers.  No Vogit categories in results (just 1st male & female vet). The first running of the event; I was quite inpressed - pretty flat course, well organised, cake & bottle of water at the finish !  

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - great result and report - but the big question remains, did you go clubbing afterwards? image

Birch - must have felt good to be racing again, even on that little sleep!

PMJ - excellent mile result

My jolly involved expresso martinis at 1am which probably wasn't the wisest idea...but good fun!  Did a 6 mile progressive pace run Saturday and then 8 steady yesterday.  My hip's been feeling a bit sore recently so decided not to do more than that. I'll see how it reacts this week and then hopefully take the distance up a bit again at the weekend.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PmJ- 5:40 is on the good side of ok image

Gul - nice big week 

Birch - ideal race preparation there ,lucky to start never mind finish image

Freemers - take it easy with that hip

On the track this morn and at 8:30 too many walkers with with dogs about image

4x400m+2x800m +4x400m completed pace a bit up and down but all at or under 6m/mile so at my limits image On the last lap coming out of a turn a dog runs towards me just as I'm coming towards 2 ladies pushing a pram on the racing line who were too busy talking to notice and it was all getting a bit tricky as I negotiated a path through them  ,by the time I came round again they had all scarpered image  I must be the only one who wishes for rain when I'm down to keep the track clear for actual running !image

• Thanks for all the kind words folks - I'm still feeling pretty chuffed with myself and Mrs L has warned me to hold off on thinking what next year's challenge might be!!!

Birch - that's a decent enough 10K the morning after the night before. Glad there were no repeats of the niggle. 

Freemers - I'm afraid not; I was a bit of lightweight. image 

By the time I made it to the hotel I was staying in in the centre of toon, I could only think about lying down and couldn't even make it out of my room in order to get something to eat so just tucked into some of the remaining fodder that I'd had with me - think I managed a flapjack, a Cliff bar, a handful of Minstrels and a cup of tea before crashing out!

Made it back safely yesterday, fortunately in good time to watch younger Lorenzito take another enormous chunk out of his 1500m PB with a 4:10. Safe to say, that if we ran one together I'd be in grave danger of being lapped.

My legs are still feeling somewhat stiff so I suspect that I'll be taking a few days off running - I'm not sure how they'll feel after a 3 hour drive to Norwich first thing tomorrow morning.image

• Birch, looks a solid enough result all considering. I misread the report and thought 5k in 21:05 (and not 21:50) and finish just inside 45 which is more than a fade, but 22/23 splits is close enough to even that it really is just the fun of the gun.

Yesterday was very much like that: I was way down at halfway into the mile and passed many runners in the second half who must have set off at suicidal pace. Guess it needs a but of practice.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - super stuff, a great achievement and every time you look at a map of the UK you will remember that you are one of fairly few people who have run almost from one sea to another - virtually coast to coast. Well toughed out. 111k is a serious step up from Comrades distance. Top quality DBS-ing too. Next year will have to be impressive to beat this. Thames Ring anyone?

Birch - North Lincs - not far from Hull eh? image

Nice boozing by Freemers image

Gul - we can tell you are itching to get back to the Raceway image - get that entry in.

I walked past through Trafalgar Sq and past Chandos y'day - going to London as rarely as poss I find that these places, the Embankment etc instantly trigger graphic memories of triumph/tragedy from 11yrs of LM.

10m along the canal today. Bumper breeding season for Canada geese.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Glad you are still in one piece Lorenzo - serious Tuesday legs tomorrow though I'd imagine. Lorenzito has really come on!!

Leslie, what sort of track has pushchairs and dogs roaming about on it?

Lovely day of cycling today - 90miles and 8000ft of climb on fantastic roads with beautiful scenery and searing weather. Quite amazing. Topped it off with a 5km run which felt a bit taxing.

Big, big day tomorrow - have opted to throw in an extra climb (on top of the Aubisque and the Tourmalet and another that I can't remember the name of) to take it to 16500 feet of climb - forecast is for 31deg heat again tomorrow). I think it will be a long day!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey- its a gravel track in the local park with a football pitch in the centre and its a magnet for dog walkers and walkers who like to do laps .I don't think most people realise it is actually a running track and everybody hugs the racing line at 2 mph ! I did ask 4 walkers politely to keep out a bit of the kerbs when I arrived and that was fine but after 9am and with it being sunny more kept coming and going. It doesn't help it can be used as a shortcut though the park as well.

Goodluck tomorrow with that heat image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - excellent effort for the 10k - well-earned cake!
    Freemers - hope the hip is OK this week.
    Leslie - you didn't take the opportunity to practise your hurdling skills then?
    Lorenzo - hope your legs are OK and you enjoy your day in Norfolk - lovely day on this side of the county at the moment. Lorenzito is really flying!
    Poacher - 10 miles along the canal? Sounds like training! I haven't entered any more races yet, but Raceways is on my bucket listimage
    SJ - today's itinerary sounds daunting!
    Went for a run along the river today and reached an impasse. I went prepared (in legggings) for a bit of an overgrown path but there was no way through image Headed back on a very circuitous route for 14 miles in total (HR 137).

Birch - excellent effort for the 10k - well-earned cake!
    Freemers - hope the hip is OK this week.
    Leslie - you didn't take the opportunity to practise your hurdling skills then?
    Lorenzo - hope your legs are OK and you enjoy your day in Norfolk - lovely day on this side of the county at the moment. Lorenzito is really flying!
    Poacher - 10 miles along the canal? Sounds like training! I haven't entered any more races yet, but Raceways is on my bucket listimage
    SJ - today's itinerary sounds daunting!
    Went for a run along the river today and reached an impasse. I went prepared (in legggings) for a bit of an overgrown path but there was no way through image Headed back on a very circuitous route for 14 miles in total (HR 137).

• Day off yesterday: picked up daughter #3 from university and somewhere in the year between dropping here off last autumn and picking her up now she has changed perceptively and is now a confident young lady and no longer a girl.

On running related matters, I have a friend who entered Abingdon and has run less than 10 miles since so is offering the place up for transfer. Gul, OO53, any preferences?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Apologies for the double post earlier - must have been a bit heavy-handed with ctrl-v.
    PMJ - a proud dad. Do you still have one daughter in Secondary Education? Re Abingdon - thanks for the offer, but I'm not in a position to accept at the moment, so I'll pass for now. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul- I can only leap over the tiny dogs, the big or even average ones no chance as I have zero knee lift plus they have a nasty habit of  turning at the last second to make sure you land on your arse image Sounds like free gardening practice along the river maybe take some garden shears next time image

PMJ- they grow up fast !

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Gul - if you use the rucksack thing, you could simply carry a battery operated strimmer on every run. Clear foliage as you go,, and you could make the countryside more accessible for non runners too.

8m along the canal again. Bizarre sight: a bloke up to his chest in the water, prodding the bottom of the canal with a stick. Turned out he'd lost the propeller off his narrow boat and had had to play the part of a horse by physically dragging the boat to the nearest mooring. Good XT.

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - a proud dad. Do you still have one daughter in Secondary Education?

No: 1 graduated from Exeter and teaching, 1 just finished a masters at Cambridge and starting a PhD this autumn, 1 just finished first year of maths at Loughborough. I have a son who is year 12 or lower sixth as we used to call it.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Great ultra exploits from BI and Lorenzo; I am quite in awe of your dedication and determination. Magnificent.

Very impressive running, racing and biking (Slokey!) from many others too; the standards of the collective thread keep on improving!

Gul, training is ticking along, thanks for asking. Nothing out of the ordinary, keeping it between 35-40 miles a week with most of it easy, some a bit quicker and some a bit longer. Looking at a couple of Autumn HMs, probably Bournemouth and Salisbury, although nothing entered yet. 7 steady today.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Quick post before crashing out:

Day 2 of the Raid Pyrenees: Tough day in the saddle with climbs of Col de Marie Blanque, Col D'Aubisque, Soleur and finally the big boy, Col de Tourmalet. 33degrees, 90 miles and 5000m of climbing, had to fight a wild horse (he wasn't as friendly as he looked and needed some serious wrestling) and then puked (a LOT) at the top of Tourmalet. Huzzah! Still had a 15 mile descent to the hotel and was shivering so much I was visibly shaking on the bike. Got a few funny looks as I shuddered down the mountain.

Hotter tomorrow apparently - I might have to rethink my heat management strategy. Riding as hard as I can to make it last as short as possible doesn't seem to work!

No run today - for obvious reasons

Early start again tomorrow - yeesh
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Brilliant stuff SJ. Dead jealous.

Did my first club time trial tonight. Only one mile and then we had a full-on interval session after a 5 minute break.

My mile went well, 5.43 for a new PB. Felt very strong and was buzzing afterwards.

GD

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - genius! I don't have a battery powered strimmer, but the Church has a petrol brush-cutter that weighs a ton. Might need to do some weight training first! Or you could send the man with the narrow boat down to clear a path for me.
    PMJ - my mistake. So since your three daughters flew the nest, you are no longer outnumbered!
    Abbbers - nicely ticking over. Consistency will pay off.
    SJ - that sounds like torture. Chapeau.
    GD - congrats on the mile PB. How did the intervals go?!
    After yesterday's MLR it was time for an easy day. So 4 miles early doors (HR 129) , then a 3+2 mile bus sandwich to work (HR 152 & 155).

• SJ, we need a few mountain top pictures just to see what the sun looks like if nothing else: I've forgotten what blue skies are.

Gul, indeed, male supremacy for a term at a time.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

SJ: hmm, that sounds pretty grim, so chapeau indeed.

5000m for me last night.  Was pretty much on track for sub 18.30 (notional target) at 3000m (10.59), but faded a little as it was effectively a tempo run. Still, 18.36 is exactly 6m/m and - I think - my first age grading over 80% this year, so gradually getting back into shape.  Next race: Cotswold Way Relay on Saturday.  Targets: stay on feet and don't get lost.

Sorry I've been a bit absent.  Mr Jools and I are in the middle of the joys of splitting up long distance.  Kind of ironic that we are struggling to find a time to talk this through, when the main problem was that we weren't seeing enough of each other.  It's my decision to break up, but I can't pretend that makes waiting to discuss the decision easy.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Joolska - good luck.

SJ - sensational stuff. A 15 mile descent must be a novelty. Does it not wear out the brakes (or are you crazy enough to have a bike without any brakes?)

Nice miling by GD.

12m this morning, trail + canal. Baby moorhens/mallards are really cute and fluffy, but there are so many herons around at the moment that life expectancy for anything small must be limited.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

nice mile, GD - well done with the PB ! 

keep it going, Abbers - steady as she goes  . . .

SJ - exploits noted with due deference  . . . .

Jools - these situations never easy - hope all works out for you  . . .

Freemers - yes, thanks - was good to sport a number once again and push myself

took a 2 day rest after the 10K, back to it with 7 easy today  . . .

• Poacher, that is indeed life. My parents live near a pond and a pair of ducks nest in their garden. Twice this year they have hatched a brood and marched them across the common and within a few hours they were swimming alone on the pond and the seagulls look happy.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

And if they survive the seagulls, there's always the Chinese takeaway on the other side of the pond to contend with once they've grown...

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Living right on a riverbank, I occasionally get to see the nastiest/most pointless predator of all: mink. Although gulls, rats & pike are not much better.