Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Badbark, utterly amazing! Congrats on a once in a lifetime type of win! You continue to amaze. Recover well (and hope you are still in relatively good shape down below!).

Gul, I see you are getting all the toothpaste lately. This may pay big dividends to you. I wouldn't worry about 9 m/m at all. Are you planning to mix some strides and work sessions back in now? I think that once you can go out (on a reasonably flat course on a "non" hot day and maintain a steady HR/Pace for 10-13 miles you are ready for adding in some of the subLT runs (or whatever type of quality you are envisioning). Do the slow runs feel more comfy lately or do they feel unnatural/uncomfortable? I can't remember if they ever did or not...

SJ, epic week on the bike. Was feeling the sun and wind as I pictured your rides.

Fishy, nice racing and even better news to hear about your hip. Hope all keeps moving in this good direction.

Last week was crushed at work, but it paid out w/2 small grants coming into the lab. was a strange training week as did 2 subLTs and no other running through Friday...then got some easier miles over the weekend. Looks like another 200 miles or so for June so hanging in there. Getting used to the heat.

My fizz has been looking at my running because of my back. Well, back seems sorted now but she says I'm not using my glutes much at all when I run. So her solution has been to have me do lots of glute strengthening stuff and dynamic running moves to train me to use them. She says imagine what you could do if you used your a$$image Probably more evidence that I could use a coach if for nothing else just technique adjustments.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Badbark - awesome stuff! Congrats on the win - mightily impressive!
    Fishy - I'm envious!
    OO - nice race to end your holidays. Not too shabby after all the pasties!
    VTr - slow runs are going fine. I'm going to try and vary the pace a bit but aim to keep the HR relatively low; maybe some runs

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

How long have you been running VT Runner, seems odd to discover a glutes issue now. Have you tried loosening up your back before you start running with a few gentle stretches?

I'll also be at the Coastal with Junior Poacher- will try to pace her round her first at this classic event. Hopefully we'll get under 1:30 depending on the tide.  

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

OO, I've been running seriously about 5-6 years now so yes a long time to discover this. But I've no coach or anyone really that advises me. I think my issue is larger than just a tight back. My left hip is weak and then right one tends to dominate. The Fizz team has been working with me on this as I used to get lower leg injuries on the weak side frequently. Maybe I'm using the glutes some but just not enough (her comments may not have been as black or white as she made them sound). Anyway, something to work towards.

Gul, I feel like you got cut off in mid thoughtimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done VT the main thing is to have a Fizz that gives you confidence. I have similar issues with occasional back issues and my left side compensates for the right. I'm sure you'll come through these issues if you stick with it.

• Options

Belated congrats to Madbark - stunning run, with victory the icing on the cake. 

Got a shout out on Marathon Talk last week for my Kit around the World piccies - very honoured to be described as "mint" by TW and to be "one of his favourite poses of all time"!!! Is there an opportunity for me to have a change and become a fashion model?! image

Back to the real world this morning with a gentle run and a touch of fartlek thrown in for good measure.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

VTr - good luck with the glute strengthening. Looks like my cut and paste didn't work properly yesterday! I was going to say that I am going to introduce some slightly faster sessions but still slower than LT; something like

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Just realised what happened! It's the "less than" sign causing the problem.
    I was trying to say... something like up to 150 or  up to 160 bpm two or three times a week. Mini-test later this week to see what kind of pace comes out for each of those zones. It might well be a disaster again with my Hr all over the place.
    Lorenzo - will have to check out your photos now!
    So 10 slow miles yesterday and another 10 this morning. HR went beserk in the first mile - well over 200 for half a mile or more - for no apparent reason. Reset my watch and started again and it did the same again after a while. Avg. 136 - max 227!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

HUGE well done to Badbark.

Sounds like fun racing for the OOs, as well.

Nice return to the track, Fishy.

VTr: I have a lazy arse, too, and I've been running for 15 years!  Working on it.  I don't think a sedentary job helps, and I'm not how obvious these things are to someone watching you run.

Cotswold Way Relay for me on Saturday.  Went well in that I was comfortably first lady on my stage.  Went less well in that I pulled my calf about 1.5 miles from the finish (not that I noticed it happening, but suddenly it was horribly tight and I could do little more than 7m/m on the flat).  Seems to have eased off pretty well and pain is more or less gone, but am trying to be sensible and not run until Thursday just to err on the side of caution.

Had the chat with MrJ.  Not easy, but relieved it is sorted.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Take care Jools, hope running on the pulled calf has done no lasting damage. & glad you got things sorted with mister 

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

So I'm not the only one! Thanks Jools, and glad you are sorted on the personal front. Hope the calf is a very temporary setback.

Gul, I think 2 quality sessions per week would be plenty. What are you thinking they will be? I have been doing 70 minutes at say HR 160-165 x 2 per week as my main sessions...then a LR and the rest easy miles but also added strides to 1 or 2 of the easy runs per week. Now I'm wondering about getting the 70 minute subLT sessions comfy again and then dropping 1 and replacing with a VO2 max session instead, which I've completely missed out on. That may be my next marathon schedule (which may just be the Hanson's method so need to read more about this).

Today got my arse kicked (Fizz had me doing lots of glute stuff) then a 12 M easy paced run in very hot/humid sauna-like conditions. Think I got my backside firing for good portions. Interesting/frustrating trying to figure out how to get those muscles to work.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Nice relay running Jools. Glad your chat went well and hope the calf heals quickly.

I've definitely  missed the speed sessions Gul, both psychologically and physiologically. I'm back to my preferred training regime, mixing cycling and running, with 1 track session a week. 

I had a good laugh at your MT shout out Lorenzo, picturing your perfect catalogue pose! You'll have Giorgio Armani on the phone soon, I'm sure.

I hope that your new technique and therapy sessions sort out your butt VTr. I read the Hansons book a couple of years ago and thought it seemed at bit short of super long runs.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Badbark: I've read some reports over the years including some epic ones on here but holy shit! That was fantastic.image Excuse the near expletive but you must be some sort of fugging nutter! Love It!! Well done, mate! image

Glad you got sorted, Jools. Good luck with the calf.

Saturday's long run was a 16 miler at 7.46 pace. Felt OK all the way but training fatigue is still an issue. Did a 6 on Monday and a 5 fartlek yesterday, both were around 7.06 pace. Spinning session last night too.

8 miler planned for today in the rain, not sure what pace. Body still needs to adjust to 5 running sessions, plus gym and spinning sessions per week.

GD

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - good racing - hope the rest sorts out any niggle with the calf.
    VTr - sounds like a good plan. The slightly faster sessions I have planned would still fall in my "easy" pace range or maybe "steady" at a push. Not yet at the stage where I'll be doing anything approaching "tempo".
    Fishy - nice mix of training.
    GD - be careful you don't overdo it while adjusting to more sessions per week.
    Another 10 miles this morning - HR 131 with no silly spiking.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    GD, I echo Gul's words- was the 6 supposed to be at that pace? I'd have thought an easy day would be in order!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I think you're right, SJ. I need to make a more conscious effort to be more pace specific. Part of the problem is lunchtime running on the few roads that have pavements. It's undulating and I hit a pace and keep to it as well as setting time challenges as I run.

Same roads tonight with 8 miles before the drive home. 7.12 pace and felt OK. 

8x800 at the club tomorrow and a golf day Friday to relax nicely.

GD

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

GD, I also think some slower stuff could be in order. I run similar marathon times to you and I only get at 7 m/m or faster at most 2X per week. Everything else is between 8:30 and 9 m/m. I would fall apart with that much qualityimage. You must have good genes!image Do you feel pretty knackered all week long or do usually have good energy? Perhaps your true easy pace is around mid7 minute miles? I would wonder whether just 2 fast sessions with slower ones in between would leave you fresher to maybe push even harder on the quality day?

Need to get out yet today but looking for a window between rain storms.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

6 slow miles this morning. Planning to do the HR zone test tomorrow i.e. 1.5 miles @ 130, 140, 150, 160 & 170 bpm.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Had a touch of CNBA, with only 3 runs in the 10 days up to & inc y'day since my 10K. 
    Have entered another 10K next month, so with a nod to that I managed 3 x 1 mile in the park today, with mile w/up jog, & 2 x 400m hills on way back.
    172 for the month, with the 10K and a parkrun being my "all-out" efforts.

976 at the halfway point , slightly below the mark for intended total of 2,000 for the year.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice miles Birch.

GD it sounds like you are good shape but fatigue awaits those who overdo it - there will surely be days when the body says take a break.

Slightly alarmed by Gul's HR which is either higher than that of a hummingbird, or lower than a hibernating bear. Be careful!  And don't believe everything technology tells you.

820 for the half year. Feeling very slow. Northumberland Coastal Run is the only thing in the diary, due to too many uncertainties. Been passing through Istanbul quite frequently but that's under review - getting rather dodgy out there.

As you plan your autumn campaigns, here's an old list to update...

24th July - Outlaw - thread smackdown - Slokey Joe and Moof
    25th September– Berlin Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub-3.10...why not!?
    25th September– Berlin Marathon - MsE - TBC
    2nd October - Chester Marathon - NM3 - 2:54:xx
    23rd October - Abingdon Marathon - Lorenzo - sub 3:05
    23rd October - Abingdon Marathon - LB70 - 3:09:59
    23rd October - Abingdon Marathon - Jason T 3.14.59

Something positive: even when one's country is run by self-serving muppets, one's footy team is an embarrassment, it rains every day & travel/work plans are derailed by terrorism and civil war - going for a run is still a terrific cheerer-upper.

• Options

Poacher - I'm with you on the last point. Still taking it easy, but had a very enjoyable 5 miler in the rain this morning. 

Am trying to resist the temptation to enter the City to Summit race in 2017 - starts in Edinburgh with a half marathon over the Forth Bridge, followed by 180km on the bike across the country finishing with a off-road marathon up to the top of Ben Nevis and finishing in Fort William. 20 hour cut off. Anyone fancy this one?!

This morning's run took me to 180 miles in June (biggest June ever) and 1,325 miles for the first half of the year, well in excess of anything I've managed in a 6 month period. Think I'll do a bike commute (20 miles each way) into work tomorrow.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Nice stats everyone and thanks for the reminder!
    242 miles for June to bring me a total so far of 1289 for the first six months of the year.
    Progressive HR test this morning. 5x1.5M:
    1) HR 129 9:41 m/m
    2) HR 136 8:43 m/m
    3) HR 146 7:51 m/m
    4) HR 156 7:19 m/m
    5) HR 167 6:48 m/m
    A definite improvement from 4 weeks ago, but then as Poacher says, don't believe everything technology tells you.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch- booking a race with motivate you ,nice halfway total.

Poacher-always good to get a run in.

Lorenzo-city to summit sounds a bit too tough.

795m for the year so far and  173m  for June.

Jude Gallagher 10m race last night 1:08:41 by my watch . It rained a bit ( understatement !)image

• Options

All a bit quiet on here in the last 24 hours!!

Good progressive running from Gul and a non-too-shabby 10 miler from Leslie - hope you've dried off now.

40 miles in total on the bike yesterday and a parkrun for me this morning. Can't complain with 19:35ish but hope to get that down a bit over the summer.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Lorenzo and Birch, you are making us all look shabby with those big mileage totals. Would be interested to hear what Jools PMJ and BB have done (sorry if I missed it).

I'm up to 1100 for the half year, similar to the last 2 years.

Its been a strange week with work and travel and I only managed 2 runs up to parkrun this morning. I had a reasonable parkrun at 18:32. One guy turned up as a first timer and missed the course record by a few seconds in 15:42.

16 miles tomorrow should allow me to scrape 40 in poor week. The priority now is the Coastal run in a few weeks- see you there Poacher.    

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Plugging away still here but the running miles are way down on where I wanted to be. Have had a niggling pain in the shin for the past few weeks and it flared up after running hard on the road at Leeds. Not much chance of run mileage when in France (only managed to get out once after a day of riding) and have had to cut short every run this week. Plan for today was 1hr bike then 2.5hr run but I decided to flip it and do 2.5hr bike and 1hr run. Good to be out in the woods and on the fell and felt strong at times - just need to be careful I don't overdo it and end up injured on the start line.

3weeks to go.

Moof - where are you fella?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Including today's 10M I'm on 1,430M for the year to date - so about a month's mileage for BBimage

Pleased to report calf seems to be pretty ok after a bit of a rest from running and some time on the cross-trainer so will be doing the 3,000m tomorrow in the Midland League.  Yet to decide whether to brave spikes or err on the side of caution and run in lightweight trainers.  Although I feared the calf might be a minor tear it's resolved quickly enough that I know it must have just been some kind of strain.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Joolska wrote (see)

Including today's 10M I'm on 1,430M for the year to date - so about a month's mileage for BBimage

Funnily enough Jools, my yearly total mileage is very close to yours at 1434. Although this year will be the first in 4 that I won’t break 3k miles, due to missing 5 weeks after my operation. 

I ran a 10k today but struggled in windy conditions and only managed 39:13. That’s 2 ½ minutes slower than my PB, but understandable after last Saturdays 75 miler.

I think I’ll stick to shorter distance races over the next few months, with currently nothing longer than a HM planned coming up.

About 6 hours into last weeks 12 hour race I remember thinking ‘Never again’. I was running with a lot of stomach pain and promised myself to remember how bad I felt. However, I’ve already decided to work toward running the 24 hour race next year! It will be the 24 Hour World Championships, hosted close to my home. Apparently there will be 100 open places available for the event.  image

http://www.iau-ultramarathon.org/index.asp?tmp=tmp2&menucode=h00&ZoekCode=h00&col001=1337&more=x

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    17 here today for a 44 week. On my way to London now so Greenwich park beckons tomorrow. Then it's Berlin for 2 days where I'll meet up with 3:07 Italian lady colleague at the same gig. A run in Berlin beckons. Never been before

Not too shabby BB. Take care Jools- I'd consider slippers for the raceimage