Sub 3h15

Comments

• Omitted to say welcome back MsE

Good luck SJ, smash it. Cut off times are stressful but they are always there for a reason and can help encourage realistic pacing.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome back MsE, you are looking good for Berlin that's a useful 22

GD- I got some world champs tickets too. There are 5 of us so could only go for the cheaper morning sessions. Very excited anyway, having missed out on the London Olympics.

Keswick is indeed a tad hiily Gerard and obviously great off road. They have a nice parkrun too if you are ever in those parts. And look out for the Derwentwater 10 in November- I'll be there for sure.

My main target for GNR is to get below 1:23. It's been so long since I did a long race though I'm finding it a bit hard to predict accurately. 1:21:XX would be about the best I could hope for. 

• Good luck indeed SJ - still sounds like lunacy to me!

Decent parkrun from you there Gul - are you sure you can't be tempted by Beachy Head?

Are you in Gabon at the moment Poacher, or were the team just visiting? Sounds as though it's a beautiful country.

Welcome back MsE - what did you end up doing your dissertation on? Definitely up for meeting up for a run - were you thinking of something before Berlin, or when you get back? Message me on FB and we can make a cunning plan. Will your four legged running partner be joining us again?

Not sure whether I'll be on the bike or on the trail tomorrow morning - will probably see what the weather's doing before making a decision.

• MsE - well done on finishing your dissertation. It sounds like you're still in pretty good shape too. Enjoy Berlin! Mrs GD has had the back related issues for quite a number of years and was referred to a physio by her GP but they didn't do any good. However she has finally made an appointment to see the physio who sorted me out ages ag, so hopefully he'll do a good assessment.
    Birch - 619 finishers! And I thought it was getting busy at my local parkrun now with 250+!
    Poacher - I bet by the time they're V50s they won't be as fit as you are now. I'm sure there's someone else on the thread doing the Hull mara.
    SJ - I'd completely forgotten about that! Have funimage
    Lorenzo - I am certainly tempted by Beachy Head, especially because of the potential oppositionimage Need to look into accommodation and get one of these maras booked.
    11 slow miles d&d to bring up 61 for the week.

• Gul let's not be too hasty with arm chopping image

Mse welcome back and nice speedy 22

Waterside half marathon today :

Target was 1:27, result was 1:35 image I completely ran out of gas at about 1/2 way and had a long and very slow death march home,last couple of miles over 8m/mile !

Start was delayed several times,had several false warmups ! and ended up being a  full hour after it was supposed to be due to a death on the course (car crash in the early hours)

I suspect I didn't taper enough after a very punishing last couple of weeks as I've ran harder in training ..image and will probably peak in a month's time image

• Lorenzo, further east - Gabon were in town for a Cup of African Nations Qualifier.

I met a kindred spirit this morning too - turned out the woman on the next treadie was an Italian training for the Turin mara next month.  It's extremely hard to train thus on a treadie in a grossly hot and humid gym as doing LRs is next to impossible. Plus in a place where women can be arrested and/or abused just for wearing trousers, running outside in sports kit is a cultural no-no.

Nice miles Gul - get down to Beachy.

• Leslie - tough going but if the combo of coming off a hard couple of weeks with no taper, coupled with the hassle factor of a couple of false starts was always going to make it tricky. Onward and upward.

Poacher - got a good idea where you might be!!

In answer to your question about equating running to cycling, I reckon about 2.5 to 3 miles of cycling = 1 mile of running but looking at a couple of my recent stats on Fetch:
    - 8.78 miles @ 8:22 pace (i.e. 1:13 time on feet) = 1,050 calories
    - 21.7 miles @ 17.3 mph (i.e. 1:15 time on pedals) = 1,300 calories

which, after taking into account a difference in terrain (a higher percentage on the flat during the bike ride) would suggest it's a bit less than 1:2.5.

Not very scientific I know - what do others think?

• Half marathon this morning as a pacer: 1:45 was the target and 1:45:04 chip time so happy with that. Very easy way to start the season after a few weeks off the serious side.

• Welcome back, MsE

Sounds like a perfect pace job, PMJ

Toughish day for you, Leslie, but I definitely agree that  a HM on tired legs can be very hard!

Poacher: you never get people like that turning up at my gym!

Chippenham half for me: I was worried my legs would be very tired after 100M from last Thursday to this, and it turned out that 1 rest day and 1 easy day wasn't enough for the legs to recover.  I held 6.20s for the first 8 or 9 miles, I think, but then slowed a little bit as what felt like a pretty persistent headwind took its toll, and then the undulations kicked in...  Scores on the doors 1.24.40, so not great, but not dire for a MP effort on tired legs.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Leslie - still a great time but tiredness can mask the real fitness lurking there. Terrible news about the car accident.  

Jools - great run too especially considering the mileage in your legs!  

PMJ - I would expect nothing less than that sort of perfection from you.  Super pacing.

Lorenzo - I always calculate 1 hour  running:3 hours biking.  Jut because it feels about that.

Super slow plod to shake out the legs today.  35 minutes at 9:30ish pace for a 65 plus a bit miles this week.  I can run really slow when I want to. Taper time now.

• MsE - Hello and Congrats on finishing your dissertation. Looking good for Berlin.

G-Dawg - Great long run and for it to feel easy like it did means you're in good shape. Cotton wool time now. Nice result too on the tickets. image

Leslie - Tough day by the sound of it. Another 6.55 miles feeling like you have run out gas is a long way to go, so well done for hanging on for what is still a respectable time. Your recent training shows you are coming back nicely and I'm sure you will do well on your next outing. 

PMJ - Good pacing job there. Always a nice thing to do and enjoyable too as opposed to racing one.

Jools - Impressive time that after such big mileage in your legs.  . 

Lorenzo - Sounded like a fab trip away. No idea re cycling vs running miles but I'm sure SJ or others would have some insight.

SJ - Belated good luck and I hope it went well. Can't wait for your report! image

Gul - Great mileage and a really good parkrun too. Was that close to your fastest on that course?

OO - Thanks for the info re Keswick. Would like to go up that neck of the woods one day but not this year. I've been away lots this year and next trip away is Paris for Xmas. Hoping to get a few runs in when I'm over there.Have family out there and they live in Croissy sur Seine which is west of the capital. I've never been to Paris so looking forward to it. I love watching the GNR and hope to do it sometime in the near future. 

10k hilly coastal run for me tonight. A pattern seems to have evolved re my running of late. Start off slow but it feels fast and feeling really out of synch for a about 2k or so and then gradually feel more of rhythm after about 15 mins or so, I've never experienced that before. I think it's going to take a good while longer before I can get back to some sort of normality but 40 miles this week and that's the biggest week since March this year. Next week's 10k is going to be tough but I hope to make the start line and I'm looking forward to running with my pal. 

• Leslie - still a decent time given the circumstances - well done.
    Poacher - wasn't Hoad Hill marathon your last long run?
    PMJ - good work there.
    Jools - sub 85 not to be sniffed at! Great effort on tired legs.
    MsE - good slow running! Enjoy the taper.
    GM - good to slowly build up a solid base. Only 24 seconds outside my parkrun PB (I've only done 1 parkrun on a different course), so a decent effort as you say.
    6 mile recovery run d&d.

• Hello all, good to see a lot of the regulars still churning out the miles and impressive times. It's reassuring, like returning home to a welcoming Labrador at the end of a holiday. Or something like that.

Anyway, hope to be back on a more regular basis now; various interruptions over the summer with job change, the (sadly unsuccessful) cricket season, family holiday, etc. but back to it now. Have been trying to keep in the 30-35 mpw range with the other distractions meaning more was difficult to manage and have largely been successful. Salisbury HM in 5 weeks should give an indication of how fit that has kept me! Bigger picture remains the Brighton mara next spring, but that's some way off just yet. 7 easy today.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Hi GM.  I see you have been dealing with a mystery ailment?  Are you feeling better now?

Abbers  - good luck with the HM.  Are you following a plan to achieve a time goal?  

Easy fartlek today. 1 min efforts w/60 sec recs.  7 miles in total @ 7:50/mi.  And I submitted my dissertation.  Glad to see the back of that but not feeling the elation I expected to. Tiredness perhaps.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like mixed fortunes on the 1/2 M front. Leslie, we've all had those days like that, sounds like a number of factors contributed.

Much better from you Jools- amazing to put in a time like that off a 100 mile week. I guess it wasn't an a race for you?

Welcome back Abbers, Sounds like you have a solid base there and a few weeks to finish the HM preps.

Gerard, I used to live in Croissy. Your best bet is along the river towards St Germain or  towards Chatou- very pleasant indeed. Let me know if you need any help.

All good here, nice taper towards GNR. I managed 50 last week but legs are feeling OK.  

• Great to have you back on here Abbers - how's the new job going?

Spill the beans MsE - what was the title of your dissertation?

Mile cutdown (1600/1200/800/400/200 with 1 min recoveries) in the rain this morning. Not super fast, but reasonably happy with it seeing that I haven't done many fast sessions over the summer.

• Abbers - Welcome back. I was only thinking about how you were the other day and wondered if you were busy with the cricket. Sounds like you have been ticking over nicely throughout the summer months though and nice planning on the race front for your half and the marathon in the spring.

MsE - i am feeling a bit better thanks but still not quite 100%. More scans and things to come but I'm just glad to be running again even if it means no racing. I am a patient sort, so it's all good.image

OO - How coincidental and thank you, My sister and her family are based there for now and it will be a big family Christmas but I will definitely be out there running. My brother in law does a bit of running and cycling, so it will be nice to have some company out there. He and I did a similar thing a few years back when they were based out in a suburb near Brussels My sister went to Uni in Paris and is practically more French than Irish but I will mention those routes to her as I'm certain she will know. She said they've had fab weather and they were all swimming in the lake the other day and it was warm. She doesn't like cold water, so it must have been.. I bet you're looking forward to Sunday now!? I hope it's televised.

Lovely 5.5 mile run tonight down some country lanes which spill out onto the east coast. It was a progressive run of sorts, started of at 8;15mm pace and finished around 6:50mm pace for an average of 7:17mm. The last 2 miles felt great and was pleasing to see 6:5x on the Garmin without too much effort. It was so warm though and i was gutted the tide was out, the east coast is like a lunar landscape when it's low tide, so I had to settle for a beach side shower instead. image

• Apologies for the flying visit today. 8M inc. 5 x 0.62-ish miles. Just for Leslie I tried to take some splits: 6:23, 6:10, 6:07, 6:15, 6:14. Out at usual time, since then it's been manic with Miss GD#1 going off for an induction day for her first job and Miss GD#2 back to school. Now off to work!

• Abbers -welcome back and goodluck with the half.

Mse- once you get a pass it will all sink in image

Jools- you are in the big league now with ton up weeks ,hopefully some great pbs will come out of the mix 

0053- not long now.

Lorenzo nice reps.

Gerard- moving well now 

Gul nice stats image

thanks all image disappointing with my race for sure but as we all know if you keep pushing at your limits you will find them sooner or later ,had a good few races in a short few weeks so can't complain image Onwards and upwards image

• The 100M was over 8 days (88M in 7 days) but it was still hard work and left the legs very tired.  Only 2 more big weeks... image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I don't know how you do all those miles, Jools.  I max out around 55-65.  I only managed 6 weeks of decent training this cycle so am not expecting anything whizzy in Berlin.  Looking back at my last marathon I was a lot quicker generally.  And 18 months younger image.  Hope the windy city stays wind-free for you.

Nice intervals there Gul.  Family life gets in the way of running doesn't it?!

Right Lorenzo.  Pull up a chair, you asked for it.... A Thematic Analysis Investigating How Adolescent Girls with Autism Make Sense of Themselves in School! 10,000 words of blood, sweat and tears.

Easy 7 miles in not quite an hour today. 

• MsE - interesting stuff. Is that an area that you're currently working in / would like to work in?

Big mileage Jools - not surprising you feel a bit tired.

10.5 miles for me across various commuting stretches - very humid so spent most of the train journey in this morning sweating like the proverbial pig.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I ran up a very big hill today- that's it!

Trying to keep on the straight and narrow this week but my auntie died and a bottle of red found me at a weak moment image  

• MsE - sounds like a challenging but interesting dissertation.
    Lorenzo - yes, it's certainly muggy at the moment!
    OO - must be some big hills near Geneva! Sorry to hear about your aunt - take care now.
    14 miles starting very early today. 7 @ 8:50 HR 130 and 7 @ 7:26 HR 156.

• Nice step up halfway Gul, same question as ever, was that a step change or is it the average over the two halves?

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - one of many that I find fascinating.  But I also learned that I don't have the time to focus on much else other than family and running.  So the PhD will be put on hold for now.  Nice commute run effort.  Where is the air-conditioning when we need it?

Nice MLR, Gul.  You are the master of these negative split efforts.

OO - sorry to hear your sad news.  Wine sounds like a very wise option.  Was she very old?  There is something very personal not only in the loss but also in what it means for us and our mortality I feel when our parents' generation pass away.

Tempo intervals scheduled today.  Having done very little (i.e. no) speedwork, I wasn't looking forward to it.  It was only 3 x 1 mile efforts w/3 mins recs so very gentle really.  When I got to the paved loop I planned to do it on, my legs felt a bit there so I thought I would play it safe and diverted course to the towpath.  It is much softer but quite narrow as well as being rather winding.  I still think it allowed me to give a good honest effort of around 7:00/mi for the mile efforts.  Total of not quite 9 miles including warm up and cool down. Then I did an hour of flow yoga at lunchtime.

• Hello

Back from Sweden - what a race. Incredible location, brutal and exciting course, rough, cold seas and bonkers currents at times, jellyfish, beautiful unspoilt forests, jumping off boulders into the sea, slippery rocks, it had everything.

Had an amazing time and met some great people.

Only downside was the result - my team mate had a big fall early on and that plus him not being quite fast / fit enough meant I was waiting for him a lot on both swim and run sections - dragged him through each cut off point and then to the final cut off but we missed it and were pulled from the race (Spent a long time through the day "encouraging" him but I did feel a little bit sorry for him when I saw that his hands had swollen up quite grotesquely - probably not a good sign)

Just over 12 hrs in and 44miles raced - there was only 7km to go with no time limit on the final section but rules is rules and we weren't through the gate by 6pm.

First ever DNF to my name which is such a shame as completing would've topped off a wonderful weekend. On the plus side I think I could've been at least 90mins before the cutoff with a different partner so there's life in the old dog yet.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Gosh, SJ. Those hips of yours are teflon coated after all.  Good to hear you are upbeat about the DNF.  Hope your partner is recovering OK.

• He'll be fine MsE!

Hip is feeling not too bad - bit stiff and sore but manageable. I think the wonky and often soft terrain plus frequent ice baths made a huge difference.
  • Abbers - never too early to get some base in for Brighton - any idea of the target?

Joolska - that's a lot of miles,do you notice extra wear and tear or warning signs on the legs? Everyone must have a tipping point where extra miles becomes risky

MsE - remind us to wait for the Kindle version. I teach people to write entire stories which are shorter than your title image  Big respect for anyone with the stamina to put together a whole thesis.

SJ - epic adventure but if you've gone all that way you can't really leave a partner in a heap by the road. Great work too given your injury props.  I hope you brought back a souvenir jellyfish, it might work as extra padding on a bike saddle

Right, while slacker Gul is still in dreamland, it's off to the gym. 64.6m in the last 7 days on the treadie, nothing over 10k but squeezing in doubles every day at pre-Gul o'clock then late afternoon after work.  Really, really boring, hot and unpleasant.

Yesterday's #gymfail: a young guy starts the treadie and then turns 90 degrees to try to run sideways. Was it some kind of stretching routine like footballers do in the warm up? Looked weird and a tad dangerous, very hard to balance while sideways on a moving belt.