Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SBD - yes it is frustrating, especially as it's difficult to actually work out where the problem is. I've not been icing it - the fizz has given me various stretching exercises to do. Will see what he says later today.

Decided not to head out this morning as it was only 4 miles easy and I want to see what rest can actually do for my knee.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Take care Lorenzo- Best to set of slowly on your runs and build up the pace. I guess you do that.

Fab pace SBD- not sure I could have kept that up for 15 miles. 

Still pouring here in Geneva- home tonight and should make a club sesh on the track

• Options

Great racing PMJ - any bling?

Got a medal (which as I compose this. seems very large). It is an odd handicap, Hammersmith & Barnes Riverside Handicap, and http://www.windmilers.org.uk/node/6981 sums it up well:

A once-a-month 3.3 mile handicap race that starts at the Furnival Gardens end of Rutland Grove at the north-west end of Hammersmith Bridge. The route goes over the bridge, along the river to Barnes and back via Lonsdale Road. The handicap rules are more arcane than most and I haven't a clue how it all works but points - and prizes - are awarded!

It is all done by word of mouth, no website, no online results (indeed all results appear to be paper only) but the course record is 15:41 by Hugh Jones and the 100th fastest run is 17:36 so some speedy runners over the years. 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice field loops. Oddly enough, my field is one of the few uneven pieces of ground I ever run on!
    BB - not long now till the sub 2:50 you ran at London this year!
    OO - it was dry here yesterday until late evening.
    Lorenzo - hope the knee settles down soon.
    ssc - okay, so that's not far off 3:15 then! I would say if you can do 1:27 or better in your half then you should definitely go for sub 3:15.
    SBD - well done slogging out that MLR. It'll be taper time before you know it!
    A whole week on the bench now. Will probably wait till Monday before hitting the road again.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    This wonderful new website lets you post a message without you viewing the last page so I missed all the posts on this page! Nice bling, PMJ. Plenty of rain here today OO :(Hope the fizz can sort you out Lorenzo.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    SBD nice paced  mlr 
    Lorenzo wise decision hardly worth it for 4 miles
    PMJ nice bit of bling
    18.5 mile at 7:16 average .
    1 easy , 7 at 7:30 then 9 mile hard most 6:45 to 6:50 but the last 2 were 7:01 and 7:06 as I ran out of steam after running into a headwind for about 3 of the miles then a steady 7:34 to finish. Was hoping for 10 hard miles but finishing a bit too strongly on tuesday has bit me on the ass and today's run was super tough and I walked the last 3/4 mile back to the car as that was all I could manage.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey gang, sorry I've been a bit awol of late. Didn't run much last week, only managed a paltry 12 miles made up of three runs. The 3rd run was weird, did 6 miles and with 200m to go my right knee seized up. I had a similar issue in 2013 when training for my autumn marathon and was benched for about 5 weeks or more. It's very odd as It's not troubled me again since Sept 2013, that is until last Friday. I decided to rest it for 4 days and went out yesterday and it seems fine. Ran again today and it wasn't an issue either. I'm hoping it was just a blip. Haven't read back properly but I see you are having knee trouble Lorenzo. Do you think it would be wise to take a different approach to your half in 2 weeks time? I know you were keen to post a quick time but given your recent problems it might be something to consider? Maybe try running the 1st 10 miles at MP or slightly quicker and see how you feel and if you feel good then see if you can ramp up the pace to HMP for the last 5k. It might do your confidence a bit of good to run it progressively and test what MP feels like. You could end up with a similar time if you tried racing up but it would feel like a very different run. It was just a thought and I'm sure you'll know what's best for you. Hopefully the fizz will be able to sort your problem. 

Gul - How does your hip feel now after a week of rest? Another few days might do you a world of good. 

SBD -  Solid running again for those MLR's, you shoukd get a good return on your investment with all of them in the bank. 

PMJ - Well done on your win, and as you said, a runner coming at you @ 5:15 pace is gonna be hard to fend off. What time did you post for the 3.3 miles? That's an interesting medal, I wonder when it was made. I can't figure out if no.24 is male or female. Some Interesting hairstyles there! 

OO - Sunny here today but it's been very stormy for the past 3 days or so. Enjoy your track sesh. 
  • Options
    Leslie, again a great run in training. Cash in and get a race in soon. 

Gerard, probably from the 70s 
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Apologies for absence of a week or so - life inconveniently getting in the way. Been running, just not posting. Need more time in the day.

PMJ - nice racing. That medal's certainly of an era! Expect to see them all with 118 on their vests.

Lorenzo - take care of that knee.

Gul - best of luck with your return to the trainers when it happens.

Leslie - that's a heck of a training run. Not surprised you ran out of steam!

GM - hope the knee was a one-off.

SBD - great stuff. Looking forward to seeing what you do at Brighton.

Rounded off last week with the prescribed 10k as part of a 9 miler on Saturday, ran as a time trial rather than a proper race as nothing convenient locally. Came out at a plodtastic 43:22, so having to remind myself that this is marathon training, not geared at shorter distances. 17 on Sunday on tired legs was hard.

Then this week has featured a 12 mile MLR on Tuesday, 8.5 yesterday with 5 x 1k efforts at 5k pace (came out at 20:22 combined, so about right) and then 8 easy today after a trip to the fizz for sports massage last night. Ouchie. Rest tomorrow prior to a weekend in which the highlight is 18 with 14 at MP. Expecting that to be tough as a number of 50+ mile weeks is catching up with me. Plodding on!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Apologies for also being AWOL.  This cycling business really isn't very time efficient.  My current task is to set up the smart trainer so I can get some power figures when I ride virtual-style indoors.  

Hello ssc.  You sound like you are in with a reasonable chance of a sub-3:15 with a comfy sub-90 HM.  Good luck!

Jools - I am so sorry to read about your achilles but I hope it is settling down now.  It does need time to subside.  You do not want to develop a chronic tendinopathy which is what I ended up with.  There are always other races and it is worth thinking in the longer term.

Gul - sounds like you are being sensible.  Eat little. Rest some more and hopefully you will be over the hip niggle by Monday.

Lorenzo - why don't you pull it right back if the activity you are doing isn't nixing the knee issue?  You have a few races this year and a few weeks now could save you months on the bench later.

Gerard - hope that knee niggle isn't anything.  Have you been doing anything unusual recently such as yoga or sitting cross legged maybe?!

SBD - excellent MLRs from you.  I actually love those midweek runs and miss them the most.  I find a 90-105 minute run a really nice time to be out without taking up the day.

PMJ - great racing as ever.  I did feel a bit nostalgic for my old 'hood with your description.  I ran the Barnes loop, or variations thereof, regularly with the dog.

Leslie - great to see you ongoing with the consistency.  You do seem to have built some excellent speed.  As PMJ says, cash it in (or hang onto it!)

OO - tracking you on Strava and you are running consistently.  Keep it up!  It's up to you to beat that 2:58 for us now I can't do it this spring ;-) 

I am still doing my daily yoga, TRX and other HIIT type activities to tick over. I am not sure when I will have time to fix my ankle so am resigned to it for the time being. I went on a friend's velo club ride on Tuesday and covered around 50 miles with them, although my Garmin battery died at 37 miles.  It was fun riding with a group, made much easier by drafting.  I did try and do my bit pulling everyone along but chose the wrong time to do this and found out that my runner's legs do not have the muscle mass to pull a chain of riders into a headwind along a flat section.  Everyone reeled me in within 10 seconds and catapulted ahead leaving me sprinting to catch up which I only managed a mile or so later!  Luckily, middle age stops one being embarrassed about much in life.  

It's just the not same though.  I don't think there is a substitute for running but I will get stronger with all these other silly activities in the meantime.  Keep on keeping on everyone!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - That's a great run. Well done.

PMJ - Yes, that sounds about right, looks like something from the Pre era. 

Abbers - Nice km reps. You're getting the miles in and injury free, you'll be in good nick come race day if you can keep it up. 

SBD - I need to try catch up with my friend who is doing the same plan as you. Last week he ran a 5k in 18:07 (that was a 23 second pb), he ran 18:30 (that was a 25 second pb) on the same course 4 weeks previous, so he's just getting fitter, stronger and faster. 

MsE - Sounds like you are taking to the bike well even if it doesn't quite hit the sweet spot like running does. The only unusual thing I did recently was run 4x miles in a week as opposed to the usual 2x or 1x, so could have been my bodies weaknesses telling me to do some strength work as well, which needless to say... I haven't. It seems fine now though.

ssc - Hi and welcome, I  like your half target. Sounds like you have a good shot of a 3:15 for sure. 

I did a 10k yesterday at 7:19mm and it felt fairly easy even in the howling wind in parts of the route. This morning I went out and did another 10k but this time on a hillier route (some 9:15mm in parts) and was tempted to bin it after 3k but I settled for finishing it and could only manage 7:47mm. It was just one of those runs where you just don't feel it. Tonight I couldn't pass up the opportunity of another 10k with two fast lady runner friends of mine (both are way faster than me) and we did 7:06mm for the distance and it felt grand. Nice to log a double run when not expecting to. 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - another stonking run.
    GM - nice double. Hip feels fine - but then again it did before until I started running.
    Abbers - good luck with the 18 / 14 @ MP this weekend - that's a tough one!
    MsE - well done sticking at the cycling. Hang on in there.
    Went through my running shoes this evening and now have a stack of six pairs by the door to dispose of tomorrow. Kept 3 pairs and also have 1 brand new pair delivered today.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Gul - don't do it ... you never know when the shoes might come in handy

GM - A nice triplet of 10K runs - particularly the one that you wanted to bin, these are always the most rewarding.  Your friend is getting pretty fast -will be interesting to see how he fares.

MsE - You need to find the time to fix the ankle!

Abbers - It's worth doing those 10K tune-up races as a 5K solo followed by 5K Park Run.  18 with 14@MP should be fun - are you doing this solo rather than as a HM?

Leslie - long fast miles there.  What is your HM and Marathon PB?

Nice medal PMJ!

I had promised myself not to do any doubles this campaign but doing them in the last 3 weeks before the taper adds to the "final build" feeling.  So 10k recovery with strides at lunch-time followed by 6K recovery this evening. 

18 with 14@MP scheduled for me on Sunday as well as Abbers but I'll do this at Warwick Half Marathon.  Not feeling very race conditioned at the moment but perhaps tomorrow's 12 mile MLR will help get me in the mood!

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - Nice double there yourself. Good that you have the half to do that 18 with 14 at MP. Should make it feel less difficult. 

Gul - Hopefully the extra rest will have done it good this time. That's a decent shoe cul! What new ones did you get? 
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Badbark - gives me some food for thought! In the build-up to VMLM, I'll probably only peak at about 55M a week, do you think this is ok? Also after doing 15M on say the Tuesday after VMLM, do you think I should just run easy up to the ultra or do some lighter sessions? Finally, what sort of LR's do you think I should do on the two weekends between VMLM and the ultra?

PMJ congrats on the win

Leslie
    that's some great paces in you LR, what time are you targeting? Also am I right in thinking your marathon isn't until June?

8M for me last night with 4 at tempo in the middle, with an average pace of 6:29mm. Then up this morning at 3am to drop my son off at school for a trip Germany, so got into work for 4.50am! 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great pace there LB
    Nice win and bling PMJ
    Hope the knee sorts itself soon, Lorenzo
    Great that you're still active MsE, albeit not at what you really want, keep going
    can't have too many garden shoes, Gul
    Solid work, SBD, looking good

In order to have a sort of taper and injury repair for the Surrey Half next week I brought my 15 miler forward and ran it last night. I'd had 2 days rest after the swift 5 miler on Monday and had applied loads of ice and massage to the injured ankle and hammy.

I set off and felt a bit heavy but the first mile split was sub-7 so I decided to do 5 miles around MP, 5 Easy and 5 at effort/MP, a session type I'd never tried before.

Drop kerbs and rush hour traffic causing me to jar the ankle every now and then but I got through the session OK.

Came out at 15 miles in 7.02 pace. Really surprised at that, my fastest ever 15 mile training run! Looking at Strava it seems my HM split was 1.32, so I'm confident of a sub-90 next week in race conditions.

Ankle was sore after and as soon as I stopped my glute/hammy flared up. I iced both straight away and the glute was fine but ankle it still a bit sore. It really is a run by run campaign right now, managing the body day by day to get it ready for the next session whenever and whatever that might be. At least some quality is starting to show and I'm so grateful I worked on my base fitness in the run up to the campaign start.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    LB70 said:
    Thanks Badbark - gives me some food for thought! In the build-up to VMLM, I'll probably only peak at about 55M a week, do you think this is ok? Also after doing 15M on say the Tuesday after VMLM, do you think I should just run easy up to the ultra or do some lighter sessions? Finally, what sort of LR's do you think I should do on the two weekends between VMLM and the ultra?

55 miles a week in fine for a sub 3:15. Although, I don’t believe you’ll reach your full potential with this mileage. For example, I couldn’t break 3:10 after 8 marathons until I increased my mileage to 80+. Then I ran a 14 minute PB for a 2:56 and have since got it down to 2:51 on this mileage.

After the 15 mile run take it very easy for a week but then add a bit of quality back in – nothing too intense, just MP miles, short hill sprints and strides. The last 10 days before the ultra should be similar to your marathon taper including LR’s. If in doubt, ‘err on the side of caution’, as all the hard work has been done.  

The single most important thing to remember in a longer ultra is to run slower than your usual easy pace. You can't possibly expect to run 40+ miles at 8 m/m pace if this is your pace in 20 mile runs. 

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Abbers 14 at mara paced is the stuff of nightmares !
    PMJ I have a half on the18th march but it's not an "A" race .
    MSE trying to out cycle proper cyclists on your first time out, love it  :)
    Gerard nice fast 10k's must be great to have faster runners to chase, I only get the odd slow cyclist mostly !
    Gul I need to decommission a few pairs too 
    SBD my half is 1:27 set about 2 years ago and my first mara was my fastest in 2013 at 3:27 ,had constant injury ever since which gave a 3:49 and a 3:29 the 2 years after .The last half last sept was only 1:35 after setting out too hard .
    LB70 yes my mara is in june no target as yet other than as close to 3 as possible sub 3 seems a bit out of reach so far but there are 13 weeks of p&d ( modified a bit for shiftwork) yet ...
    Gdawg a quality 15 miler there .
    After yesterday I didn't expect much but my legs recovered enough for 14 mile at 7:33 average with a few faster ones near the end without working too hard ,amazing what a hot bath can do !

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, some excellent training going on, especially MLRs from Leslie and GDawg.  MsE: glad you are managing to stay fit and sane.

A modest 6 miles from me at a very steady 8m/m, but no AT pain, which is promising.  Adductor on the weak side still very tight, which I suspect is actually the root of all my problems...  30 mins on the cross-trainer this morning and then I'll do another short run tonight before my rehearsal.  Hopefully I'll be about 50% mileage this week, 75% next week and then I can do 4 'big' weeks before a 2 week taper.  Not ideal, but leaves open a bash at sub 2.50 if the body holds up!  Have almost certainly binned Bath Half next weekend, as the course has a steep climb in it which I just don't want to risk at the moment.
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    That's an impressive 15 miler GDawg

Leslie have you thought about trying to do one early April instead (or as well!)

Badbark I think you're right as I've done 11 marathons and have only been sub 3:15 twice, with a PB of 3:11, despite a HM PB of 1:23! But unfortunately I struggle to fit any more miles in
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg said:
    Great pace there LB
    Nice win and bling PMJ
    Hope the knee sorts itself soon, Lorenzo
    Great that you're still active MsE, albeit not at what you really want, keep going
    can't have too many garden shoes, Gul
    Solid work, SBD, looking good

In order to have a sort of taper and injury repair for the Surrey Half next week I brought my 15 miler forward and ran it last night. I'd had 2 days rest after the swift 5 miler on Monday and had applied loads of ice and massage to the injured ankle and hammy.

I set off and felt a bit heavy but the first mile split was sub-7 so I decided to do 5 miles around MP, 5 Easy and 5 at effort/MP, a session type I'd never tried before.

Drop kerbs and rush hour traffic causing me to jar the ankle every now and then but I got through the session OK.

Came out at 15 miles in 7.02 pace. Really surprised at that, my fastest ever 15 mile training run! Looking at Strava it seems my HM split was 1.32, so I'm confident of a sub-90 next week in race conditions.

Ankle was sore after and as soon as I stopped my glute/hammy flared up. I iced both straight away and the glute was fine but ankle it still a bit sore. It really is a run by run campaign right now, managing the body day by day to get it ready for the next session whenever and whatever that might be. At least some quality is starting to show and I'm so grateful I worked on my base fitness in the run up to the campaign start.

GD: At the risk of sticking my neck out, can I just say: please do treat this time with absolute caution?  It sounds as if your body is trying its utmost to keep it together but the triad of niggles is telling you something.  I worry that pushing these runs will be too much speed over too long a distance with your niggles.  I would also avoid all speed work until they have gone and you have run the last few runs without any signs of them reappearing.  You know the speed is there now, so let the body recover so you can do yourself justice in the Surrey Half. 
  • Options
    5:43 for the mile at lunchtime. Bit slower than I'd like but faster than the worst expectations so somewhere in the middle and relatively happy. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Top bombing PMJ

MsE 
    - You're absolutely right! And thank you for keeping me in check! :)
    I have absolutely no intention of doing any speedwork or hills between now and the Surrey and will just get a few tickover miles in and only if niggles feel up to it. I won't be running at all past next Wednesday in order to give the body 3 full days rest. I know I pushed my luck last night but all pain was under control and I just needed to get that session done and dusted if I could. I now know I have speed and endurance, especially after last night and last Saturday's 21 miler at 7.41 pace where I didn't push particularly hard.

I remember PMJ once saying it takes 10 days for the body to fully soak up a session, that's stuck with me for a while now and another reason I wanted to bring the 15 forward to last night.

My youngest boy was 18 last night so we have a load of birthday celebs going on, so running is pretty much out of the equation anyway!  :D
  • Options
    G-Dawg said:

My youngest boy was 18 last night so we have a load of birthday celebs going on, so running is pretty much out of the equation anyway!  :D
    Mine was 18 a few weeks ago. We have a "no alcohol school nights" rule but luckily his birthday fell in half term. 
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PMJ - Nice mile time there. Was that a road or track mile? 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Just a reminder of what's coming up ...

5 March:      Warwick Half Marathon - SBD - Sub 1:25
    5 March:      Milton Keynes Half Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 1:27
    12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27
    19 March:    Fleet Half Marathon - Lorenzo - Sub 1:26
    19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    2 April         Jersey Spring 10k - GM - 38:xx
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - SBD - 2:59
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)
    23 April:      London Marathon - Lorenzo - 2:59:59 (hugely optimistic target!)
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15?

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD -Cheers for the reminder. Are you going to race Warwick or run it as a MP run? I seem to remember you saying you had 18 with 14 at MP and were going to run the half as part of your plan for that?  
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

GD - It's always difficult in a marathon campaign to know when to take some unscheduled rest but be careful not to push the fragile body over the edge! That said, great speed on the 15 miles!

At least it's the right side of 6:00 PMJ.

A good turn of speed on the 14 mile MLR Leslie.

Some quick tempo miles there LB70.

12 miles steady MLR this afternoon at 7:44 m/m.  Feeling very sluggish this week so Sub 1:25 on Sunday is beginning to feel a bit ambitious .. I may need to borrow some of GD's speed!

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    X -post

GM - Yes, the plan is 18 with 14@MP - so 4mile w/u, 1mile @MP and then the HM @MP  ...
  • Options
    GerardM said:
    PMJ - Nice mile time there. Was that a road or track mile? 
    Road technically, but a pinched oval, so almost a  figure of 8, in a park on tarmac paths.

Off now to pace parkrun, 20 minutes today, then run one lap of the two lap 10k I am helping with next Saturday.