Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Super training going on out there from a number of people.

G-Dawg - sounds as though you're taking the right approach over the next week. With the form you're in, I reckon you'll surprise yourself in the Surrey Half.

Sounds more promising Jools - wise to ditch the Bath Half.

Thanks for the advice GM. You're right that I should have another look at my expectations for the Fleet Half. My training plan has got that day down for a HM at marathon pace sandwiched by 2 miles easy either side so I might take that approach and aim for 7 min mile pace rather than going balls out for 1:26 and risking further injury. Will see how I feel in the days beforehand.

Saw the fizz again on Thursday and he reckons that the knee problem is down to a weak right abductor so I've got a new set of exercises to do. On a positive note, he said that there was no reason why I should stop running so I made it out for about 8 miles yesterday with 3 x 10 min bursts at around 6:5x pace. Definitely not where I would have liked to at this stage of the campaign, but better than not running at all.

Rather beery session last night at the rugby club where I used to be a junior coach / team manager and fortunately the schedule has today down as a rest day.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Sounds positive Lorenzo.

Which 10K is that PMJ?

• Options
    It is the DASH IN THE DARK 10k Evening Trail Race

http://www.dashinthedark.co.uk/

2 5k laps of Black Park in the dark, all trail, need a headtorch and off road shoes. Not fast but definitely fun.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    LB70 yes I have a half on 1st april too but it will be a mara paced effort .
    PMJ excellent mile pace 
    SBD goodluck tomorrow in the half.
    Lorenzo sounds like you are getting sorted .
    7 recovery miles after nights struggled a bit at the start !
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Gul - have you had an MRI on your hip?  Pain in the groin area can be a laberal tear, which is what I had, and it will only show up on a MRI authrogram.  Mine also showed a bulging disc which affects rotation in the same hip.  Having the tear repaired definitely got me back running and the bulging disc is now a management job.  Before I got the diagnosis I was being told different things by everyone I saw so it was impossible to manage.  Just thinking if its nagging on perhaps you should put pressure on the powers that be to try and get a scan?

OO - I can't remember if I've asked you this before but do you ever head into the mountains when you're in Geneva?

Nice win PMJ.  You're going well. 

My oldest arrived in the Philippines today for a midwifery elective.  The week was frenetic  getting her organised!  In other news I entered the ballot for NY and didn't get in, and I have entered an ultra.  :D  I'll add myself to the list.  Its a long time since I've done that!

5 March:      Warwick Half Marathon - SBD - Sub 1:25
    5 March:      Milton Keynes Half Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 1:27
    12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27
    19 March:    Fleet Half Marathon - Lorenzo - Sub 1:26
    19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    2 April         Jersey Spring 10k - GM - 38:xx
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - SBD - 2:59
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)
    23 April:      London Marathon - Lorenzo - 2:59:59 (hugely optimistic target!)
    13 May:       A Bridge Too Far Ultra - Minni - I have no idea!
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15?
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Yay, Minni! On both Miss Minni's safe arrival in the Philippines and the race.  Happy days.  Keep me posted with her news!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Best of luck tomorrow, SBD and KR!  You are both easily capable of sub-85 so give it your best and may the wind be with you. 
  • Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭
    Pleased with today's long run, 3 hrs in the rain, lost my gels, garmin cut out, iPod packed up and trainers rubber from 6 miles onwards! And yet 23 miles av pace was under 8 min, miles 17-20 was a 20:50 parkrun and mile 23 was still around MP @ 7:25. 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - good to hear it is not something that benches you.  Keep up with the physio won't you?

More yoga and pilates here. Did I mention, I have an appointment for a cortisone injection into the damaged cartilage on Monday? I may just have to hop on the 'mill tomorrow just for the hell of it given I will be repaired a bit the next day and then forced to do nowt for the remainder of the week. Good grief, I am missing the burn.

After my meagre morning of exercise, I went to a netball tournament to see MsEtte2's team win and MsEtte2 awarded Player of the Tournament. She was so surprised, it was lovely to see her smiley face when she collected her prize teddy.  Then on to see MsEsq play hockey and, despite being a reluctant player, manage to score the winning goal for his team.  He returns to the rugby pitch for his first game since he suffered a shoulder subluxation for the second time.  I am praying it will hold together this time....  Injuries seem to play a rather prominent role in my life these days!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Thank you MsE and I will certainly keep you informed.  This is very much out of her comfort zone so I am very proud of her.   I hope the lad gets on ok with rugby.  Sounds like your family is on a winning streak at the moment, long may it continue. 

I had a cortisone injection and ran two days after. Hopefully it will give you some respite and you can get back to some running.   

Good luck racers.   
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Good news on the cortisone injection MsE - go for that treadmill session later today.

Good confidence builder SSC.

Always good to nail the sessions you don't feel like doing Leslie.

PMJ - sounds interesting but probably not PB potential so I'll stick with the Raceways 10K. Do you still have fond memories of your marathon there!

Warwick HM this morning.  Pretty windy and heavy rain and the course had a few more undulations than I was expecting.  The plan was 18 with 14 at MP.  Did the 5 miles w/u including the last mile approaching MP to arrive at the start ready for the off.  There was the small matter of the timing chip that I'd left in the car and the additional time required to go the long way round to the start. 

Had been juggling various race plans during the warm-up and decided on the take it easy for the first few miles and then see how it feels plan.  Ending up running reasonably even paced but the undulations started to take their toll towards the end (kilometre splits varied from 6:15 m/m to 7:05 m/m).

Finished in 1:27:27, which has a certain symmetry to it!  Would have liked something under 1:25 to give me the confidence to go for Sub 3 at Brighton but given it was an untapered run (79 miles for the week including the 2 miles w/d) and the course and weather were not optimal for a fast time I'm not too unhappy!

• Options
    SBD. said:

PMJ - sounds interesting but probably not PB potential so I'll stick with the Raceways 10K. Do you still have fond memories of your marathon there!

Good pace there for a not-quite-raced half. I'd be happy to get that in a few weeks at Reading. Definitely agree the Dash in the Dark is not a PB course but that is the way athletic clubs are being driven. If we want to hold a road race then we need road closures and they are £££. Once you are off-road you can avoid that fee, and if you can get away without chip timing that is another 2 or 3 pounds per person saved. 

I probably ran within a few miles of your house this morning: started off at Walters Ash, dropped down to Bradenham and up to Bledlow Ridge, then back down Wigans Lane and up The Icknield Way and back through Loosely Green.
  • Options
    SBD - 1:27:27 is not too shabby at all. If the weather was anything like it was down here earlier, then it was an excellent performance.

MsE - yes, I've got to go back to the fizz in a couple of weeks' time. Hope that everything goes OK for your lad today and for you tomorrow.

Minni - wow for oldest Minnette. I can imagine it'll be an amazing experience. Great to see you back on the race list - that Ultra looks as though it will be the perfect combination of challenging with enough natural beauty to take your mind off the pain.

My plan had 18 with 14 at MP+20s (+2 mile w/u and 2 mile c/d). I ended up with 17 after reaching home after just one mile of cool down. Was aiming for 7:15-7:20s for the middle part and managed it until about halfway when a combo of rain and headwind slowed me down a bit. Not too downheartened about it as my knee, while still aching a bit, pretty much held up. More pain at the moment from the residual chafing that I experienced en route.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    SSC 23 miles and a decent parkrun at the end great stuff, you must have been up early !
    MSE good you are getting that treatment soon to get back in action ,nice wins from the youngsters 
    SBD cracking run in tough conditions in a huge week , it that's mara pace you will be well pleased !
    Lorenzo a very decent  run in a tough day, glad the knee is playing ball, chaffing is nasty alright .
    6 easy ones this morn after nights .
    80 mile for the week. 

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SSC - cracking long run, despite mishaps along the way!

SBD - that's a commendable effort in the circumstances, coming at the end of a big week, weather conditions, etc. You're in a good place I'd say.

Leslie - 80 for the week? Excellent stuff. No idea how you find the time.

Lorenzo - glad the knee's holding up. Chaffing always sounds minor, but is significantly painful!

Minni - good to see you getting that entry in.

MsE - Great stuff from the offspring. Hope your son's shoulder holds up this time.

PMJ - good training from you too.

So 18 with 14 at MP yesterday. The first 15 miles actually came out at a 7:28 average, including a 8mm first warm up mile, so very happy with that. Then 3 mile plod home. Stomach wasn't happy afterwards, not sure if that was due to effort or gel, but I'll take the good news on the sustained time. Happy that 3:20 is on the cards if I get through the next 5 weeks OK. Then 5 easy today in the rain!

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    So I went away for a month or so and it's a brand new website!

I didn't get to make it to the Southern Cross country because my daughter was unwell, and training has been a bit inconsistent since due to family and work commitments.  However, I did test the legs yesterday at the Olympic Park 10k. Finished in 44.19 which is slower than marathon PB pace but was expecting slower to be honest. Feel pretty pleased with that given my training in recent weeks has been run commuting with no quality. 

We are just over 6 months away from Berlin marathon so a good place to be in to build some more base, then hit my "modified P&D" in earnest.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Cautious recovery continues.  Up to 9 miles steady now!
    Lots of big miles going on: 80 mile weeks are clearly the new 60-70 mile weeks. 
    Hope cortisone works, MsE.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds good Jools, let's hope it continues that way. Avoiding Bath 1/2 sounds sensible.

BB/LB70- personally I think you could run a good time without 70-80 miles a week. I've been upping my miles each year but can run good times on far less than that.

SBD that's a decent half given the course and conditions.

And a cracking mile there PMJ- you seem on good form of late.

Abbers- sounds like a pacey 18 there- very promising.

I did the XC yesterday and pleased to report my team avoided relegation. And our ladies won the league title in the last race. My run was average at best though I did score a point from the slow pack, finishing 31st.

Today I ran 22 miles at a pedestrian 8:40 average pace, though there were 5-6 miles around the 8 min mark. I'm not feeling in 2:58 form MsE, but my 20 miler in 2 weeks should give me a better feel. Nice to see your kids doing well in sport and great work on the bike to stay with the serious guys.

Back to Geneva tomorrow. I only go on workdays Minni so I never run in the mountains, though the hill behind my office offers a nice 2 mile ascent. This week is Motorshow the place will be crazy.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Excellent time there, SBD, on a high volume untapered week.  Plenty more to come I am sure.  Also great mileage from Leslie too.

Impressive LR from you, Lorenzo. Have just given you kudos on Strava as required.  Hope the knee is OK tomorrow...

Plenty of time till Berlin, sedan.  Looking fine to me with that 10K time.

Glad recovery continues, Jools.  The trick with Achilles injuries is to give them recovery time plus a bit more to account for the tetchiness of the tissue.  It won't fully recover and will need to be given extra focus to stop a sudden recurrence.  Once you have your protocol in place that works, you're golden.

Well done on the xc result, OO.  I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but I don't think you give yourself enough allowance for all the to-ing and fro-ing you do with work.  Travel is a huge stress on the body and to leap into runs on either side of the border adds to that.  Running at a slower pace is sensible (8:40 is not pedestrian and perfectly adequate aerobic running for most of us for a LR) and should not be regarded as running sub-par.  Let's give that 20 a chance to show us what form you are in really, OK?

More yoga and pilates today.  Then, as SBD commanded it, I went for a 30 min trot on the TM @7:50/mi.  It was divine.  I think I grinned the whole time.  Obviously the ankle feels not quite 100% but I knew it wouldn't.  A family trip to the cinema to see Hidden Figures (recommended!) and then home to hop on the turbo trainer for a primers session on Sufferfest.  I.  Am.  Not.  A.  Cyclist.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add: Abbers - excellent LR!  Definitely looking like sub-3:20 and some on the cards.  Also, MsEsq's shoulder intact after rugby yesterday.  Yes!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some great stuff going on. 
    Really glad the knee help up, Lorenzo.
    Excellent  to see you going longer too, Jools.
    Quality 18 from Abbers there. Nice one.

A mate tempted me with an off-roader on Saturday. I said I was going to hit the streets to protect the sore ankle but he said I'd go too fast and can turn an ankle anywhere. So I joined hm and another over the common, just picking our way round slowly.

Ankle complained a lot but that was expected. Managed 11.5 miles with great fun through waist deep water and swamp like fields. Binned yesterday's run to treat the ankle and start to prep for the Surrey HM this week.

Will do two short sessions early in the week and then complete rest from Wednesday apart from strength sessions at the gym, no running.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - too late! Deposited them at the shoe bank on Friday (probably a bit pointless. I guess they'll just bin them). Well done on a good performance in Warwick. Solid result in the circumstances.
    GM - Aldi £19.99 specials - they even sell them on-line with free delivery now!
    LB70 - nice tempo run.
    GD - wise move to have some rest and look after that ankle!
    Leslie - good MLR and excellent mileage yet again.
    Jools - good to hear the AT seems to be okay now.
    PMJ - very decent mile, well done.
    Lorenzo - sounds quite a positive visit to the fizz. Good effort for your 17 miler.
    Minni - no, I've not seen a GP or phsyio. I had an inflammed disk a good number of years ago and have to be careful. Does a tear not heal then? All seems fine again now, but I'll see how I get on, thanks. Slightly confused about your daughter? Has she gone to work / train out in the Philippines or is that some sort of elective operation?! Good luck with the Ultra.
    ssc - cracking 23 miler, especially in those conditions.
    MsE - hope the injection is okay. Congrats to MsEtte2 and MsEsq. Hope MsEsq keeps his shoulder out of trouble!
    Abbers - excellent pace for your 18 miler. Looking good for sub 3:20.
    SEdan - welcome back. Hope you can get a good campaign in for Berlin.
    OO - well done getting the job done in the XC and 22 miles in the bag.
    So after 10 days rest, I finally got to go out for a run this morning. Just 4 miles starting at plod pace and working up to steady. Pleased to report all is well. Will continue with some easy running this week and see how it goes.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Mood spoiler alert: Just been injected with cortisone. Bad news is the consultant said the cartilage damage won't go away and means I will always have to limit the impact on that ankle. Marathons are off the cards
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I need to see the ankle consultant in three weeks to assess where I'm at with it. So as well as the ruptured ligament, the bone damage from the impact of training is an ongoing issue. I'm not sure whether surgery can fix the bone damage either. He wouldn't be drawn on it. Needless to say, am gutted. 
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    MsE - so sorry to hear the consultant's diagnosis. Hard to know what to say; is some running still on the cards?
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    ((((MsE)))) - gutted must be a understatement. Hope the ankle consultant can give you some better news and you can at least continue with some running and racing in time.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I think so, Abbers. But at what level is unclear. I think this is why triathlons were mentioned. So I can train but focus on non impact activities for the bulk of the training rather than lots of time on feet. Maybe 10K is the limit therefore (standard distance) or possibly HM (70.3). Not an Ironman though. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    MsE - really am sorry to hear that news  . . .
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Just been lurking recently (feel a bit of a "gooseberry", as I'm now an ex-marathon runner) :) , but I see lots of fine weekly totals, LR's & racing going on ! 

As I've committed to my local Road League ( 4 x 5 milers), the first of which is in 23 days time, I thought I'd better make a gesture to some "faster" running, so parkrun it was on Sat.  3 mile easy to the park, but started way too fast for my current level of fitness, and imploded spectacularly after just over a mile, and recorded a first ever "parkrun DNF" :/
     - was just going to slink off home in disgrace, but got a grip, and after the parkrunners had dispersed, I did my 3 x 1 mile reps in the park, so at least salvaged a 10 miler with 4 x 1 mile efforts in there . . . .

went to Grantham to support my daughter yesterday in their half-marathon - ran 3 miles warmup with her, in torrential rain, she bagged a PB of 1:33:18 for 3rd place ( pleasing for her, as she started cold and soaked, conditions terrible, and a big hill at 10 miles)
    did 2 miles warm down with her (fortunately it was only drizzling slightly by now)  . Just one big weekend left now for her then 3 weeks before marathon debut . . .
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that MsE its a big blow. I really hope you are able to get back running with more time and sensible adjustments. And thanks for the encouragement.
    That sounds like a great run GD. My xc was similar. My spikes were too short so I was slipping all over the place but made a nice change to roads.
    Great to hear u r back Gul nice and steady.
    Loving the parkrun fiasco Birch- I can imagine you skulking off in shame. And welldone on your daughters achievment thats excellent.