Sub 3h15

Comments

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    I just ran my first ever properly measured 5k. My Parkrun PB was 18:03 and I was hoping to break 18 tonight. Gun time 18:03 and chip time.......
    17:59!!!!! Whoop whoop! Chuffed to bits
  • Well done on an another early morning hummingbird impression Gul!!

Sounds like a gruelling session GM, but super consistent. Stands you in good stead for the weekend.

Talking of good stuff, that's a mighty impressive 5K in training G-Dawg. Sub-19 for sure for you in the no-too-distant future. Hope you're not too sad about the weekend's result - did you get to the match?

Hope you're having a good time in the snow MsE - just don't go breaking anything.

Kielder Dark Skies sounds wonderful Minni - great that it was such a clear night as well too. Congrats on the V40 top spot.

Ladder intervals for me yesterday with the usual erratic pacing that I hope was more down to the gradient than ill-discipline or lack of concentration. Followed that up with just under 11 miles this morning for a decent length mid week run. Progressive one tomorrow before a trip to the dentist.

Did anyone manage to locate the list?
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard nice consistent reps there good practice for your 10k.
    Badbark time to perfection there .
    Lorenzo nice early 11 ,hope you get away with no work needed at the dentist.
    Just under 9 this morn was struggling a bit 8:21m/mile average.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Lorenzo - The game was a disaster for us but the Stones deserved the win. Superb away support too with 633 turning up. We're pretty much relegated now.  :'(

Went for a steady 5 last night with the idea of finding a groove. All splits were a controlled 6.5x for an average of 6.55. Can't claim it as an MP test as I could feel the 5k from the previous night in my legs as well as the weekend runs. No more hard running now, just slow on the MLRs and looking for MP on the rest.

Found the list. Add your results!!  :)

5 March:      Warwick Half Marathon - SBD - Sub 1:25
    5 March:      Milton Keynes Half Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 1:27
    12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27 - Result - 1.26.34
    19 March:    Fleet Half Marathon - Lorenzo - Sub 1:26
    19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    2 April         Jersey Spring 10k - GM - 38:xx
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - SBD - 2:59
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)
    23 April:      London Marathon - Lorenzo - 2:59:59 (hugely optimistic target!)
    14 May:       Staines 10k - G-Dawg - Sub 40
    4 June:         Dorking 10 mile - G-Dawg - 1.06
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15?
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start
    2 April:        Manchester Marathon - Knight Rider - Sub 3:10 (being realistic on a 4 day training plan)
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - Abbers - A. 3:20 B. PB (3:27) C. Don't fall over and enjoy it more than London
    17 April:      Boston Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (PB unlikely as it gets lumpy there)
    23 April:      London Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 3:09 (will most likely defer, will be knackered!)
    14 May:       Staines 10k - G-Dawg - Sub 40
    4 June:         Dorking 10 mile - G-Dawg - 1.06

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BB & GD flying with those 5k times.

GM not far behind either! Excellent reps.

Lorenzo - nice running, hope the dentist is nothing too significant?

Leslie - you've been banking lots of miles. Bound to have an occasional tired/slower one.

Gul - ticking along again.

Weeks of training without incident, and then somehow manage to tweak something in my back putting the shopping away on Monday evening. Rest day Tuesday anyway, then 5 easy yesterday. Back was stiff and painful to start but eased off after a mile or so as the muscles relaxed a bit; will try today's planned 8 with 3x1 mile intervals and expect the same pattern. Sports massage tomorrow was going to focus on legs, but think paying some attention to the lower back may be more beneficial at the moment, just 10 days out!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Abbers - Have you done Brighton before? I've done it twice. Are you aware of the "Road to Hell" from 21 miles?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - hope you don't need a 5am start on Saturday! My HRM is only 1 year old, so maybe I need a new heart. Or more likely a decent HRM rather than a cheap one!
    GM - good reps along the prom. Rest up for Sunday now.
    9 steady miles this morning, avg pace 7:57 m/m. Max HR was only 202 today, so maybe I'm shaking this lurgy!
  • 5 March:      Warwick Half Marathon - SBD - Sub 1:25
    19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start result 1:28 and small change  :)
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - Abbers - A. 3:20 B. PB (3:27) C. Don't fall over and enjoy it more than London
    14 May:       Staines 10k - G-Dawg - Sub 40
    4 June:         Dorking 10 mile - G-Dawg - 1.06
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I want bold and smiley face too!

12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27 - Result - 1.26.34  B) 
    19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start result 1:28 and small change   
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - Abbers - A. 3:20 B. PB (3:27) C. Don't fall over and enjoy it more than London
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Must remember to check that I'm on the last page before I post - just missed all the above comments!
    Badbark - congratulations - sub 18 is very impressive!
    Lorenzo - a couple of decent sessions.
    GD - cracking pace for a steady run!
    Abbers - oh no! Hope the back is okay. Sports massage will help.
    Just read the list - all the best to KR this weekend!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

18 March:    Larne half marathon- Leslie H- sub 1:25- Result 1:25:08
    19 March:    Reading Half Marathon - PMJ - Sub 1:30 for a start result 1:28 and small change   
    1 April         Omagh half marathon- Leslie H- 1:27 
    4 June:         Walled city marathon-Leslie H- as close to 3:00:00 as possible

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GD - nope, first time at Brighton. Only my 2nd mara after London 2014. I've heard about the lonely stretch round the power station, and about the hill in the first mile round the park; be happy to take any other info or pointers though!

Gul - definitely realising the benefits of sports massage this time round. Hoping tomorrow's session straightens me out! Will keep going over the coming months to work on shoulders & quads through the cricket season. Would like to complete the season injury-free rather than be plagued by various muscle strains as I was after my last mara. Reduced heart rate is positive!

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    G-Dawg said:
    I want bold and smiley face too!

Ah, you went for the sunglasses too which mean you are a triathlete and have to be shunned  ;)
  • Track at lunchtime today. Odd weather: Tuesday was bright and hot as was today, yesterday was long top, hat and gloves. Plan was 2 miles jog out, 6x400m with 400m jog recovery. I recorded my laps but did not look at the watch during the lap so were run to feel with a goal at the back of my mind of doing sub-90 laps. Came out with 91, 91, 87, 85, 88, 85 (all rounded down for ease of reporting), and an average of 88.5.  Quite pleased with that as an early season marker.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - good line in the sand there, and something to build on :)

Back felt a bit easier today and although it still gave the occasional twinge, it wasn't a major issue. Still going to get it worked on tomorrow though. So 8 including 3x1 mile intervals. Somewhat surprised to see the mile splits come in at 6:07, 6:09 and 6:29. Slightly overcooked the first couple, but wasn't really pushing, and delighted to see 6:0x as I haven't run a mile that fast for months and months. Thought they'd all be in the 6:2x range as the last one was. A very welcome confidence boost 10 days out.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Anno Domini

Well, we report our “triumphs”, so it’s only proper that we post re Kipling’s other imposter “disaster” ! 

First event in the 4 race (5 miles)  County Road League Series (club runners only) last evening - rain, chilly, windy.

After only one race (other than parkrun) since my good year of 2015 , I wasn't looking forward to this, but wanted to get back into some kind of form, so have to go in where you know it will hurt

I just didn't expect to be so SLOW!   parkrun last week was 22:38 (7.17 pace), so I thought 37:30 ( 7:30 pace) a reasonable target, knowing the course would be tough.   What a rude awakening. I'll get the excuses in first - course much harder than I expected -  first 2K or so flat (one gradual slope of around 400m, but nothing too bad – felt OK here, but then we turned into a pretty long and steep hill, with nasty hairpin & turn towards the top. Loads passed me on here - a bad sign as I'm traditionally quite strong on hills. Flat running for a while, then turned and "enjoyed" a "fast" downhill, but then a left at the bottom led to another steep uphill for around half a mile, eventually back to retrace the opening 2K back to the finish. I really gave it my all along the last mile and pulled a few places, and was nearly sick at the finish, but my time was a terrible 40:11 (8 min pace) - yes, it was hilly, and looking at last year's results this is definitely the slowest course of the series, but even so  . . . . .   my last marathon was 7:33 pace - nearly half a minute per mile faster, over 5 times the distance !!!  Last half marathon was 6:50 pace !!   There's been a massive "drop-off" in the last couple of years -  I think I definitely fulfill the description of  "a busted flush" !!  It seems my legs have “gone”  . . . .    I’ll need to see the results to see where I feature in the VoGit standings, but not too high, I’d wager !  

Still,  although I hated it and found it no fun whatsoever, I'm still glad I was out there doing it, and still pleased I'm good at "trying my hardest", even though that now yields such pathetic results. Roll on race #2 - only 2 weeks away (and another big hill or two there) !!  

My son was 4th in 28:30 ish- so he was slower pace than his recent Dewsbury 10K, testament to the hard course - and he and I enjoyed pie, chips, and peas with a pint of Moonshine at the pub afterwards, so a great end to proceedings  (he paid as well) :)

6 “recovery” miles this morning  . . . .

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Badbark - excellent result :)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27 - Result - 1.26.34  B 
    18 March:    Larne half marathon- Leslie H- Sub 1:25- Result 1:25:08
    4 June:         Walled city marathon-Leslie H- As close to 3:00:00 as possible
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15
    15 October  Amsterdam Marathon - GM - Closer to 3 than 4!
  • sscssc ✭✭✭
    Some great running going on.

am doing Brighton but didn't know how to add name to list.all out for 3:15 both glory or crash and burn possible!

what tips do people have for the last week / any fave runs to complete?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Anything that starts with a 17 for 5k is very decent. You're right to be chuffed. Well done crazy horse!

Gul -
    Hopefully you are indeed shaking the pesky lurgy. I note you're not on the list. Hopefully you can add something soon?

Lorenzo
    - Good training. How is the body holding up now? I hope the dentist trip wasn't too expensive or painful.

G-Dawg - Good 5 miler there. Take it easy now.

Leslie - I'm not surprised you feel tired. Are you resting up for Saturday now, running wise? 

Abbers - I hope the back loosens up with a bit of manipulation. Great mile reps. The training effect, maybe fast to begin with but good and a confidence booster for sure. Well done! 

PMJ - A good track outing. I must admit I've never done 400m reps before. I too ran my reps to feel and relied on my training partner for the splits afterwards. I believe it's good to do that and when I was doing 800's with him I also ran to feel. 

Birch - That sounded like a very tough race with wind, rain, chill, steep turns.... uggh, sounds horrible, but as you said, good to be part of it and please don't be too had on yourself with the outcome. I reckon you just had an off day there with conditions factored in. Excellent result with your son though to conclude the day. What's a pint of moonshine? Never heard of it described in that volume. Is it a local Ale? It's been years since I've had a pie of any description but I do like them. Your lad takes after you. 28 mins for 5 miles on a tough course is impressive. Well done to Junior Birch. 

I had a chat with my friend today after last night's session and he really enjoyed the session. He's fitter and faster than me at the mo, so he was driving the pace after the 2nd rep but he said that he also found it tough and that it was a real test of mental toughness and like a race scenario where you have to keep going to keep up with your indi
    vidual target and the runner beside/ahead of you. So, much like a simulation of a race but harder because it's a training run. 5k easy jog today and that's all folks until Sunday. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - Moonshine - yes, went down very well in my local pub with the (made on the premises) steak and ale pie - made the pain worthwhile !!  

More good training from you, I note !!  
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I see the new website doesn't hilite the link (or, maybe its possible and I've been unable to do so)  - if you click on "Moonshine" above, it's a link to the website  
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - Ooh that looks right up my street. A lovely selection of beers on offer there from that brewery. I like the look of most of them, especially the Moonshine. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Abbers - hope the regular sports massage pays dividends. Never had one myself. Good turn of speed with your intervals.
    PMJ - solid 400m reps.
    ssc - nice to do an odd bit of MP work in the last week, but just a handful of short intervals or the odd mile or two.
    GM - go smash it on Sunday!
    Birch - tough one. At least you should see an improvement in the next race. BTW Probably being a bit dense here, but I don't get the Anno Domini title!
    6 recovery miles this morning. HR more normal today (138/154) although the max was still a bit high for a recovery run!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    12 March:    Surrey Half Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub 1:27 - Result - 1.26.34  B 
    18 March:    Larne half marathon- Leslie H- Sub 1:25- Result 1:25:08
    9 April:        Brighton Marathon - ssc - all out for 3:15 both glory or crash and burn possible!
    4 June:         Walled city marathon-Leslie H- As close to 3:00:00 as possible
    10 June:       Great Strides 65 Ultra - Lorenzo - sub 6:15
    15 October  Amsterdam Marathon - GM - Closer to 3 than 4!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a great long run Leslie you are in great shape.

Minni- Congrats on the Keilder night race- now I'll be able to keep an eye on you on Strava ;)

Gul that a very high HR take care. Retirement will be a mix of North-East and Lake District I suspect.

Well done to the 5k runners. Especially BB in the sub 18 club.

Birch and Junior, well done on the 5 miler. You have to succumb to youth!

I'm back from Switz. Exhausting week with a few slow miles. Hoping for a 60 mile week before considering the VLM taper, but very little quality this week.  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul 

noun
    informal
    noun: Anno Domini
    1. 1.
      advancing age.
      " Anno Domini has restricted my activities" 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    PMJ nice set of reps 
    Abbers nice to get close to 6 min milling for the reps that's about my limit too with zero trackwork this campaign yet .
    SSc goodluck in brighton was going to add your name but Gul has it sorted !
    Gerard no rest here it's supposed to be 18 with 12 at mara pace on tired legs p&d style.Goodluck Sunday.
    Birch you gave all you had on a tough day and certainly earned your pie and chips ,you will  do better next outing and plenty of life in the old dog yet !
    Gul back in the human hr range must be getting well again .
    0054 knuckle down this week and sub 3 is still possible .

7 easy (8:18 average ) this morn had my first decent kip this week and didn't have to get up at 5 am which is a bonus ! 

324 miles for the month .