Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    My feet are killing me.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - Huge congrats! It's cool to put a face to a name and it's a fab photo, you look very good! How tall were you in those heels? 

Jools - Taper madness has kicked in for sure. On an aside, I used to run a restaurant many moons ago in Africa, it was on a nature reserve and there was a resident Camel named "Lawrence" who used to pester diners and he would try to pick up leftovers when diners left. He was quite a brazen character and effortlessly rude but well loved at the same time.  

Birch - Good to see that you have formulated some plan for up and coming events. The half in June could be a good target to aim for and it makes sense to do less loading and get some good speed back in the legs. My gut feeling is that this could work very well for you. 

Gul - Nice MLR though still recording off the scale HR stats. 

Leslie - Another 9 miles in the bank!

I wanted to do a slightly longer run (>6.2) than I've done for a while and the number 8 seemed to fit with plans this evening. The objective was to run with a very low intensity breathing wise but with a steady leg turnover. So, in my mind, not too dissimilar to a MP run. The first mile was around 7:20 which involved negotiating a few traffic crossings and a few inclines until I reached sea level and then the 3 into a moderate sea breeze along the South West coast was just lovely. The next 4 miles back with the wind at my tail was glorious. I felt so good running at a pace that felt effortless and it was one of those runs where I just wanted to carry on running. It's not often we runners feel that, ye know when you hit that sweet spot and your mind is totally in tune with your body. 8 miles done 7:11 average pace and it felt so good. That was one of the most enjoyable solo runs I've done in quite a while. 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

No bizarre dreams as per Jools, but certainly madness and nerves setting in ahead of Sunday! A pile of hot cross buns, granola bars, fruit juice and other goodies on my desk for the day. Trying not to let work stress me too much... think calm thoughts! Hope my fellow Brighton runners are feeling in good shape.

GM - great when you get in the zone like that! Lovely feeling.

Hope you enjoyed the day MsE! :)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - sounds like a good plan. Will hopefully need a VOGit plan one day, but will have far less experience than you!
    Jools - certainly sounds unlikely in London!
    Leslie - it's all coming back now. Good 9.
    MsE - great photo! Hope your feet are better today.
    GM - fab run.
    Abbers - go easy with the carb-loading! Hope you have a relaxing couple of days.
    6 mile recovery run d&d.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sounds lovely, GM: we all live for those runs!

Congratulations, MsE.  Lovely photo, too.

Rest day yesterday.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Gerard - 4'6" in heels  ;)  Your run sounds awesome.  I think this describes it nicely: https://run.mcmillanrunning.com/the-flow-state-the-science-of-running-in-the-zone/  The closest thing to heaven on earth.

Keep carbo loading and those lurgies at bay, Abbers.  Does anyone like the Aussie loading method? http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/nutrition/the-evolving-art-of-carbo-loading_22908 I find that suits me so much better than stuffing carbs in all week.

Nicely done on the recovery run, Gul.  You seem to be back in the saddle.

Vinyasa flow and pilates so far.  Will try hop on the 'mill or the turbo trainer after dog walking. Another beautiful spring day.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Super pic MsE - be proud. A day to mark all the hard work. If you've finished with the heels can I borrow them

Super run GM

63m on the bike yesterday then 5m run this morning. Still cold out there in the north at least so hopefully cool conditions for racers this w/e. Good luck everyone - and DBS
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Nice biking Poacher - in response to your question about shorts - I find Rapha shorts to be the most comfy - expensive but a step change improvement on others I've had 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    MsE - Lovely picture, well done!

• Week in New York so not a lot of real running but a solid treadmill session on Tuesday morning when it was deluging down (weather warnings in force) and then Wednesday afternoon a tourist trip over the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges in bright sunshine so a massive change in 24 hours. Still a big difference between New York where ploughed snow was still visible in piles, slowly melting and the trees are bare and the UK where I have just raked the petals up from my magnolia tree.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

MsE - Yes, that article sums it up very nicely, it's the best feeling in the world. I couldn't load the other one though re the Aussie loading method. I very seldom eat carbs but will have to try formulate some plan for Amsterdam. I like vinyassa too though I've never tried pilates.

Abbers - Getting close now, I hope the weather is as good as it's forecast to be. That will really help.

Gul - Good to get those recovery miles in.

Poacher - If I was you I would try go for a fast time at VLM if your legs feel good on the day. You could always reassess at halfway.

Another lovely run here today. 5k along the beach, 18c with a lovely cool sea breeze, not a barefoot run but a topless one, it felt lovely and warm. 7:03 pace felt good.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Cheers for the best wishes all; will try to post my result as soon as I'm able on Sunday, with full War & Peace to follow at some stage next week!

Beetroot juice, granola bars, malt loaf all consumed. Hot cross buns to follow. Must stop after that... :)

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Have a great run, Abbers :smiley:
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    MsE - lovely pic :)

Gerard - yesterday's run sounds perfect ; today's pretty good too !    

my plan has yet to take off - no run y'day or today - (non)motivational demons at work
     -  must get a grip !!  

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    MSE looking the part hope you had a great day ,makes all the tough times worth it when you get that piece of paper .
    Gerard we were told there would be days like those ,few and far between though in mara campaigns ...
    Abbers carb load but not overload ballast is hard to carry over 26.2
    Poacher ever thought of triathlon ? seems like you are doing most of training for it !
    PMJ nice bt of jet setting ,enjoy your time away.
    Birch Rome wasn't built in a day (allegedly), you got to get the right mindset and it will all click into place ,what would Ron Hill do ;)  ?
    9m today again 7:59 average as I click into nightshift mode seem to have strained my shoulder a bit but nothing too bad more annoying than anything !

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    haha, Ron certainly wouldn't be having days off, Leslie  !!  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done MsE you look great.

Best of luck Abbers, enjoy the fuelling

Gerard going topless- shocking, whatever next?

7 mile plod here in 3 stages. Parkrun tomorrow and 10k smackdown on Sunday with junior OO. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - nice bike ride!
    GM - beach run sounds great.
    Abbers - best wishes for tomorrow. Hope it's not too hot!
    Birch - you do need the recovery now you're a VOGit ;)
    Leslie - hope the shoulder gets better quickly.
    OO - enjoy the weekend racing!
    All the best to anyone else racing this weekend - SBD at Brighton?
    Hadd HR zone test this morning. 5x1.5M plus 0.5M wd = 8 miles.
    1. 10:07m/m 127bpm
    2. 9:44 m/m 135 bpm
    3. 8:45 m/m 140 bpm
    4. 7:27 m/m 156 bpm
    5. 6:59 m/m 168 bpm
    Slight improvement but a bit erratic to be honest.
    57 for the week so far, but might take a rest tomorrow.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
     42 so far here, with a 20.12 parkrun. Saving something for tomorrows duel :)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - Did you do parkrun today? My V65 pal who I mentioned before has been going well. Our parkrun course measures a long 3.16 miles and is very tough but he has been improving a lot in recent months and has gone from 24 mins in early Feb to a new pb today of 21:40 (6:51mm). He ran 22:05 last week and I chatted with him briefly before and asked if he was aiming for sub 22 and he said yes, so he well and truly smashed it. He has been running for over 40 years or more, has done 10 comrades and many marathons. I'm not sure what has seen him improve so quickly and running very fast again as I didn't get to speak with him about his training but I think he was coming back from injury and is now retired, so probably getting more quality running in and rest. He's light as a feather and has a superb running form which helps I guess. 

Gul - Nice weekly total. You might do well to have a rest day tomorrow.

OO - Looking forward to hearing about your 10k with Junior. What's the target? Well done on taking it easy today, you should go well tomorrow. Good luck to you and your daughter. Haha, now you would never run topless would you? ;) I love that feeling of freedom especially when it's warm.

Leslie - How did you manage to hurt your shoulder? 

Parkrun for me this morning in sunny and very warm conditions. A big turnout for us and with lots of visitors too. I was hooping for 19:15 which would equal my parkrun pb but struggled a bit on the off road bit and hills plus I got out sprinted by two 25 year old's in the last 50m, I'll get them next time. Could only manage 19:29 but it was great seeing so many runners out in the sunshine. I did a 1 mile w/u and a 3 mile w/d with some yoga and stretching afterwards too. Are you reading this MsE.  :) It's 21c here now and I'm gonna hit the beach soon with a book and make a fire, chill with a beer and cook some food. Best of luck to our marathon runners and other racers tomorrow. My training buddy is doing Rotterdam tomorrow and aiming for sub 3, I really hope he gets it. Have a great w/end all.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Gul decent week and 168 bpm at 7 min milling sounds good to me.
    0054 nice parkrun goodluck tomorrow.
    Gerard not far of a pb then, my shoulder started at work after some awkward to reach jobs fitting parts above my head ! Passed a man today running topless too, must be summer !
    17miles at 7:38 m/mile average after getting up after last nightshift ,last few at 7:20 ish it was a struggle and its 19c here unbelievable weather made hotter by leggings and 2 tops for a bit of heat training .
    Goodluck to tomorrow's racers .

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - all the best in today's family duel!
    GM - good parkrun. Maybe a slightly longer warm-up would help?
    Leslie - good heat acclimatisation and cracking long run pace.
    Rest day here. Supposed to be 22C later; glad to see it's quite a bit cooler on the south coast. Have a great race Abbers, SBD and ssc plus anyone else racing.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

PMJ – Enjoy NY!

Abbers – Run like the wind!

Gul – Interesting Hadd HR testing in your 8 miler. I’ll have to try it myself sometime

OO – Sensible steady Parkrunning – Good luck in the smack down

GM – Good Parkrunning and I hope you enjoyed the beach

Les – Great 17 miler in the heat

Good luck to SBD, scc and any other racers too.

Unfortunately, I’ve been unwell since Thursday and really annoyed. My stomach has felt really bloated and I've felt constantly nauseous. I’ve gone to bed at 6pm for the last 3 night and feel weak as a kitten. Fecky fecky feck! I’m haven’t run since Thursday morning and I’m supposed to run 17 miles including a 10k race today. This is so frustrating, as everything was going so well. I’m feeling a bit better this morning so hopefully on the mend. The race isn’t until this afternoon so I’m asking the running gods for a miracle! Heal me, god of running I command thee! Even MP pace will do...

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Good luck today, Abbers, SBD and ssc!  

Nice work on the yoga and stretching, Gerard, (fist pump)

Yesterday was a fun day.  After my morning yoga and pilates, I fit in a 5 miler (uh oh, these seem harder the less I run) before taking six 14 year old boys to watch Saracens vs Harlequins at Wembley.  Sarries won in a masterful display of rugby but it was so impressive watching Ashton's turn of speed in the flesh.  These guys really are primed athletes.  Even the prop forwards have impressive stamina and power to add to their size. However, there was a head clashing moment which thankfully turned out OK but it does remind you of the downsides to the players being such big units these days.

Anyway, today, we must talk of marathons!  Go go go team!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - nice total

OO - good idea to keep powder dry  . . .

Badbark - that's annoying - hope you're ok later 

MsE - sounds a good day - nice one here too - 17 miles to banish the cnba, then short (3 miles)? walk & late pub lunch followed by the Owls overcoming the Magpies in the teatime football.  Celebration refreshments to end the day.  

Gerard - so, no, the 17 didn't include parkrun . Interesting what you say re your pal "so probably getting more quality running in and rest. He's light as a feather and has a superb running form which helps I guess"    Certainly more quality and more rest is the way to go, I think; I'm also a couple or three lbs heavier than when I was running well two years ago - and my style is definitely not "superb" !!!          Fine parkrunning by your good self . . . .

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul enjoy the rest
    Badbark racing today while still sick is going to delay your recovery at best, you have 2 weeks till London and all the hard training is done but you need to reach that startline in one piece to make any use of it.This is your 4th is it ? bout of  sickness in a short space of time take care ,I know it's tough to lift of the gas but sometimes you just have too !!!
    MSE sounds like you had a great time.
    Birch 17 miles is good going ,nice comeback.
    8 recovery ones here, 8.53 average, the combined effects of heat ,nightshift and a hard run yesterday have spoken and the first few miles were a real drag !
    74 mile for the week.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Awaiting the race results with excitement. 

Badbark - The beach was lovely thanks. Just back from a run there now too, it's glorious weather here at the mo. I have to agree with Leslie re your illness but knowing you, you will do what no one else would. I hope you feel better.

Birch - Nice 17. I thought 16 was going to be your max? Yes, I think rest and quality is helping my friend. He said recently that he'd like to run with me now he is not working but needed to get a bit fitter and quicker first. He certainly has done both and I look forward to running with him soon.

Leslie - All bound to take it's toll on the body and mind. Another great weekly total. Is the shoulder feeling less sore today?

Gul - Nice and warm where you are too but not ideal for marathon running. I usually do a mile or a bit more w/up maybe I should try a couple instead and see if that works.

MsE - Sounds like a good day was had watching the rugby. It's a completely different sport nowadays, even when compared to say 10 years ago. I hope my boy doesn't continue to play when he is older, just for the sake of self preservation, he's only little and wafer thin compared to some boys even in his age group they are like monsters. He much prefers paying soccer anyway and likes running too. 

5 miles with 3 on the beach, another glorious day and run. Took it easier today and ran at a nice comfortable 7:41 pace. Just about to head out on my friends boat to cruise around some of the bays and do some climbing but it looks like the mist is coming in. Catch y'all later.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    So.... sadly wasn't to be today, just too hot for me (and plenty of others by the carnage on the course!). Through half way on scedule, 1:39, but then into survival mode in the 2nd half. Cramped badly at 21 miles and that achilles gradually got worse throughout, so managed things as best I could from there to post a 3:39 (3:40 was the absolute worst I was going to accept!). So a 20 minute positive split, but not for lack of effort; was duly sick at the finish and only getting over it now. Felt fine aerobically, but legs weren't having it and will be hobbling for days now I expect! A few serious looking incidents on the course, so hope everyone's alright. 12 mins slower than my only previous mara, but not much I could do about that today. Hope ssc and SBD went well.