Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Oh I had drafted a long post but it's disappeared.
  • AndyLid said:
    Really sorry to be so dumb, but where's the 'attach image' button? I know some websites don't allow you to post pictures until you've made a set number of posts, but I can't see any options anywhere apart from inserting smilies
    Do you get a toolbar like this?

• AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Hi Philip, nope. All I get is just 'insert smiley' menu bar. Guess it must be down to the number of posts I've made. Ah well, guess I'll have to contribute more to the forum!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Birch - nice double.
    Bike It - very sensible decision.
    PMJ - welcome back ;)
    MsE - frustrating. The 'Save Draft' button is about the only positive I can find on the new website.
    Andy - yes, do please keep posting!
    Calf muscles really tight this morning. Hobbled along 3 times to the polling station this morning. Once to put the heating on, once to open up for the polling officer and once to vote! Hopefully hobbling will have finished by 10pm when it's time to lock up.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul gardening has wrecked you by the sound of it ,you are not Poacher lol 
    MSE get that post rewritten if you have the time.
    Andy may be a post count think I can see the image thing on mine though never managed to get an images posted yet ...
    PMJ enjoy the trip and I wonder is VTR still lurking .

My second try at a mara paced run today after last weeks wheels came off at 6 mile disaster ,if this one didn't work it was forget it lol.

20.5 miles at 7:03 average .

1 easy , 4 steady(7:50-730) then 15 mile at about 6:45 , 1/2 easy to finish .
    average hr 167 , mara stint 164 to 183 at the end which is a tad higher than I'd have liked.
    #backinthegame 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard Andy, that was a great report and this thread will help you improve. I also got confused with the delayed Red start and speed of the pacers.

Very tired legs this week but no injuries so I'm just plodding. 30  miles last week, should get back to 40 this week.   

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Bike it - You're dead right to make that call. I was just hoping for a miracle so you could get to the start and finish line and now that you have reminded me the damage done to you in previous years. Soweto marathon could be a fun event.

Leslie - That's cool and a great confidence booster I'm sure.

MsE - That's so annoying. Did you check to see if it was saved in your drafts?

Andy - Us runners tend to be an obsessive bunch. I have so many trainers it's ridiculous.

Poacher - Belated happy birthday.

Still just relaxing and recovering here. It's strange when you don't run for x number of consecutive days and you start to get all sorts of pains and feel weird sensations in your legs.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

I get a different set of toolbar options depending on what device I am using.  On my phone/iPad I only see a limited selection (although it does include the attach image one).  On my PC I see the full set that PMJ posted.  Andy - might want to try a PC?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Anybody noticed weight issues post VLM or recent marathon? I was under 12 for most of the campaign, but within a week or so I'm above. It seems I lost the mileage but not the appetite. 

I've given up with fancy stuff on this thread, imogies, photos etc. Its a challenge too far...  

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    I only understand 3 imojis. Not sure if this is due to being imoji illiterate, or only having 3 actual emotions. 

How's the leg MsE?

How are the ribs and knee now Gul?

I've officially joined the injured crew. Not sure if it is a shin splint or a stress fracture but I have a mild pain at the front of my shin, about 3 inches above the ankle. More a niggle than pain, but gets worse after a run. It is not muscular and after 1 week of not running I can still feel it whilst walking. The pain is fine, but I am just a bit worried of doing damage which might put me out of running for a while. Anyone had a stress fracture with any diagnosis / recovery advice?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Oh, and that's a stonking 20miler there Leslie!
  • Quick dip in to say well done to Leslie for a cracking midweek 20 miler - was the 15@6:45 aiming for MP?

AndyL - you should definitely target a Bill Rowan. I just about made it a couple of years ago after going off far to quickly and then having to desperately hang on to the back of the sub-9 pacing group. Such a great experience - you'll love it.

6 miles easy down in Cornwall (just over the border from Devon) yesterday morning, followed by my first track session in about 4 years this evening. Knackering, but enjoyable.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Right, I am going to try again.

Great race report, Andy.  Even pacing really does help in the end. As does consistent training and proper rest and recovery from hard efforts.  Am sure you will continue to blitz the PB now you are here.

Glad to see Jools, Gerard and Gul seem to have got over the recent niggles (mostly).  Did you stop hobbling by the end of the day, Gul?  Gerard - I agree that resting makes you feel TERRIBLE.  I think your decision not to do Comrades this year is sensible in the long term, BI.  Onwards and upwards!

Not glad to hear of shin complaints, Keir.  A doctor friend said if you can jump up and down on the affected leg and it doesn't exacerbate it, it isn't necessarily a sfx and most likely something else.  Your description sounds suspiciously to me like it is anterior or posterior tibialis tendon irritation.  Rest, ice and checking shoes aren't past their best before date all helpful regardless.  Do you wear inserts?  I find Superfeet useful when I get that sort of irritation to help stabilise and let the niggles subside. Of course, if it's not that, then everything I have said is, quite possibly, useless.

It sounds lovely where you live and run, Freemers.  Excellent intervals from you, Birch but irresponsible dog owners are really not helpful to the rest of us who get tarred with the same brush.

Have to applaud that LR, Leslie.  Super overall average but do take it easy as well.  15*MRP is quite some.  Is that the longest block that Pfitz prescribe? I don't think I have done more than 10 or 12.  I typically have some quite slow miles sandwiched on either side to bring my average down and was mostly in the 7:15/20 av LR range when I was in sub-3 shape. 

A week post-op and I am feeling a bit less space cadet thankfully.  Getting cabin fever but have to elevate the ankle for another week.  Determined to do this right now my ankle is fixed and build back up gently.  I have a follow up with the consultant in a week but will still be relatively immobile with just the possibility of being partially weight bearing.  I then have another few months of being booted and encumbered.  The ultra is definitely off the cards for me, Lorenzo. I am so sorry not to do it with you, especially after getting you to sign up!  Would anyone like to take my place?  I may be able to switch my entry over.  
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    +1 for the hop test Keir suggested by MsE.  Sounds like shin splints / periostitis to me if it is in the boney area as opposed to the the muscle.  The cause can be tightness in the shin causing the ligaments to pull too hard on the bone.  It may be alleviated by digging in your thumb in the muscular area just by the pain spot  for 2-3 minutes a few times a day.

I was was going to write that I haven't an MP run for more than a year and then I remembered I have been injured for around that time.   I find the MP runs of P&D very hard but very, very effective.  With a taper it will be alright on the day to keep going at that pace.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - excellent MP run!
    OO - plodding is important for recovery. Just go easy with the food!

GerardM said:

Still just relaxing and recovering here. It's strange when you don't run for x number of consecutive days and you start to get all sorts of pains and feel weird sensations in your legs.

Glad to know it's not just me!
    Keir - oh no! Hopefully not a stress fracture. Knee is fine, thanks, but I think the ribs are going to take a few weeks to heal.
    Lorenzo - countryside run (I presume) in Cornwall sounds a lot more appealing than a track session!
    MsE - glad all is going well. You will need lots of patience now!
    After a hot bath and a bit of stretching my calf muscles seem fine for the moment!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard sounds like taperitis you are experiencing.
    Keir take it easy till you find out whats wrong.
    Lorenzo yes testing mara pace ,4 years is a bit long between track sessions !
    MSE P&D prescribe 14 at mara pace on the 18 week 70-85 mile plan I'm on ,strangely its the only schedule with 14m in it the others only go to 12m , I had though they all did 14 but it seems not when I checked. I did tag 1m extra on to see what would happen and it was hard work and that's all on the flat my mara has lots of hills ,difficult to see how I tag the extra on come race day but must trust the training !
    Sounds like a long recovery but best to rest up till the glue sets ,don't want any setbacks then you can show us a real comeback !!!
    Gul I walked 2 mile last night then a hot bath and they can work magic.

6m recovery at 8:44 m/mile this morn and will have  another couple later.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Leslie H said:

MSE P&D prescribe 14 at mara pace on the 18 week 70-85 mile plan I'm on ,strangely its the only schedule with 14m in it the others only go to 12m , I had though they all did 14 but it seems not when I checked. I did tag 1m extra on to see what would happen and it was hard work and that's all on the flat my mara has lots of hills ,difficult to see how I tag the extra on come race day but must trust the training !

Are you practising MRP runs on hills to mimic the course layout?  As you know, hill running utilises a different set of muscles from the flat and it's good to put them into practice. 
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Great tip MsE. Thanks. I know more about where I am now. I did the bouncing one toes test and pain instantly worse, including more of an ache all last night. I guess I might need to get an x-ray, but looking more like a stress fracture. Pity, I've a hilly marathon planned for next weekend, a similar for mid June and a 50m hilly off road event in mid September. Hopefully I'll be ok for the 50.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    MSE I did my 12 at mara pace in a hilly/undulating half mara , I did intend 2 laps of a hilly route last week for my 14 at mara pace but when the wheels came off I decided Id try a flat course this week get more even pacing practice.
    All my recent long runs have followed the course profile only with even tougher hills .

Keir next weekends mara is off by the sound of it take it easy for now.

12.5m at 7;18 this morn
     A few easy then 4 flat 6:19, 6:13, 6:07, 6:13, 3 steady at 7:35 and last 1 hard up the toughest mara hill at 6:52 all on the mara route .

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Keir - holding off on the marathon sounds sensible but it may not be as bad as you think.  Worth getting it checked out though.  Keeping fingers crossed for you that it isn't anything sinister.

Leslie - I reckon you are good to go then.  You really have ticked all the boxes and seem to be on track for a storming PB.  As long as you don't derail your attempt with letting the conditioning / core work and stretching go completely overlooked, your body seems well trained. I'd put money on you anyway!  If those faster miles this morning were at HMRP then that's all the proof you need.  :)

More elevating of the ankle today.  Another week in this position to go.  Definitely have cabin fever.  :s
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hey, what about that sub-2 effort today? Amazing.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    MSE the 4 miles were not quite hmp ,p&d called for a 8 to 15k race , On starting I had planned the 5x600m I left out earlier in the week but once I got over those hills I felt strong so i decided 3 or 4 hard miles would be better practice for next week's half .
    Stretching being completed twice daily otherwise I wouldn't be able to move by now ,not sure if its on or not but will give it a good if all goes well till the mara.

2:00:25 at the mara distance amazing !!!!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I love these words from Eliud Kipchoge.  A real inspiration to us all. "The next generation should know that nothing is impossible in this world. You can cope within your limits. Secondly, real focus, determination, and real hope can take you somewhere. For the last seven months I have been personally really focusing, training hard, and preparing for this moment. Lastly, self discipline proves that it can bear fruits".  Got that, all?   ;) 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Quiet in here is everybody enjoying the sun ?

MSE message understood   B)  !

Up after nights for 7m recovery in the sun (8:29 av) 

75m for the week.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Got roped into the UKWAL at the last minute and so ended up doing 9M including 3,000m (11.13) and 1,500m (5.30) yesterday.  A painful experience: legs have NOT recovered from the marathon!  4M this morning to bring up 30 for the week.

Noted, MsE.

Good miles, Leslie.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Keir - sorry to hear the result of the hop test. Hope you can get an x-ray soon and it's not too serious.
    Leslie - good session on the mara route. Sun?! It must all be over in Ireland.
    MsE - yes, amazing marathon by Kipchoge to get so close to 2 hours.
    Jools - well done on the 1,500m and 3000m racing not long after London!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Kier, sorry to hear about your injury, lets hope it doesn't hold you back for long.

Leslie you are flying and awesome mileage too. I do think that Mara paced runs were my downfall at VLM- I basically didn't do any. Either short fast stuff or plodding long runs. 

I ran an 18:40 parkrun which was pleasing after a very flat week and feeling stiff and tired. Ended up with 40 miles after 13 yesterday. And my weight seems to be back under control.

Is anyone going to watch night of the 10k's at Highgate on 21st? I'll be there watching junior in one of the minor races. I was most excited to hear there is a beer tent! That's how to pull in a crowd...  

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Jools - that sounds like a tough afternoon at the UKWAL!

OO - great parkrun

I decided not to do the 10 mile race yesterday.  Glad I didn't - having seen the results there were some pretty speedy ladies in my age group, and at my current level of speed endurance I would have had a long drive with no reward.  Instead opted for another 12 mile long run.

I was watching some of the Nike sub2 race on the live stream - Kipchoge was amazing, he just flows as he runs.  Shame he couldn't quite hang onto the pace but he's proved it's possible that's for sure.

• OO54 said:

Is anyone going to watch night of the 10k's at Highgate on 21st? I'll be there watching junior in one of the minor races. I was most excited to hear there is a beer tent! That's how to pull in a crowd...  

I am hoping to do so. We have tickets for the world champs Sat night so as well as 100m finals (Bolt!) there are the women's 1500m heats (Laura Muir) and the women's 10,000m so hope to see the qualifiers at Highgate that night. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Can't make Highgate, but did take advantage of the EA priority booking period to book tickets for every night of the Worlds in London.  More than excited!