Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Welcome back to planet Earth MsE! Hope recovery is going well?

Sorry to hear about the injury, Keir. Sage advice from MsE will help along the way, worked for me.

Great running on tired legs, Jools. Funny how a marathon can take it's toll weeks later.

i managed only one run last week before the man-flu really kicked in. Proper aching shoulders, the lot. As the cold was above and below the neck, rest was required much to my frustration.

Felt a bit better yesterday so went for an easy one over the woods. I was obviously out of practice as I'd forgotten to charge the Garmin and it conked out after 2 miles. Second mile split was 7.00 which was a real surprise as I didn't think I was going that quick.

Lurgy is still lurking but resting heart rate is almost back to normal and no more aching.
    Got the Staines 10k this weekend. having only ever done three 10k races, I have a below current par 10k race PB (42.37) so I should beat that but the desired sub-40 is probably a no go.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’m back from holidays so can now write a race report for VLM 2017. First off, some background info.

I ran back to back marathons at the start of 2017 (3.06 & 3:19) and took it pretty easy for the rest of January. At the end of January I began a 12 week edited P&D running scheduled. I used the 105mi schedule as a guide but made a lot of changes to suit me. I did try to run the core sessions each week but substituted all the MP runs with races. I set myself the goal of running sub 2:50 in London, and I just find it too hard to run MP without being in a race!

I did several weight sessions every week of compound movements like deadlifts, squats, bench presses and rows. I did 10 x 10 sec hill sprints at the end of an easy run at least once a week. I performed drills twice a week and stretched often.

Although I didn’t pick up and injuries during the campaign, I did have two heavy colds, and 2 stomach bugs. The worst of these prevented me running at all for 4 days on my first taper week.  

My weekly mileage was 80, 66, 50, 88, 65, 94, 97, 85, 104, 51, 71, 31+Marathon. I had a cold on the two weeks in the 60’s and a stomach bug in the two weeks in the 50’s.

Around the illness issues I did manage a good block of 4 weeks of excellent training were everything came together. My body responded really well to a few weeks of higher mileage and my training paces improved considerably. During my peak week I ran a 5k PB of 17:59 and HM PB of 1:19:53.

I knew I was in the shape of my life and after the second stomach bug I weighed in at 140 lbs. This was by far my lightest since childhood as I’m 6 feet tall.

I travelled over to London with my family on the Friday and ran the Beckton Parkrun on Saturday morning. I missed the start but enjoyed running through the field at MP+ 10% pace. I was feeling strong and confident.

On race morning everything went well and I got quite near the front of the FGFA red start. I had set my watch to show average and current lap paces which required a manual button press every mile. This was invaluable because I always knew exactly how things were going.

My plan was to run about 6:20 m/m early on, then around 6:25. If everything went to plan I could slow a little over the last 10k, and really enjoy the day. Despite the problems in training my sub 1:20 HM had given me a lot of confidence. In that race, I had to enter the pain zone early to keep my pace below 6:10.

I hadn’t planned it but my mantra for the day was to become ‘stay on target’ like Gold Five from Star Wars. I don’t think I’ve looked at my watch more in any race and often had to adjust my pace slightly. I realised early that I had to ignore the race clock times as despite crossing the starting line within 10 seconds of the gun, I was over a minute behind the clock.

It was very strange running quite hard from the start. Most marathons in the past had felt easy early on holding back. This time however, I did feel I was putting in a constant steady effort. I wasn’t anywhere near the red zone but it certainly felt closer to HM effort than marathon.

Continued...

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I went through the first 10k in under 40 minutes feeling great. Then next 10k wasn’t much slower and I reached 20k in under 1:20. Pretty f-ing good so far I thought, but due to the effort, I knew things could go terribly wrong later. I reached half way just under 1:24, which was dead on plan.

The next 10k flowed nicely too and I went through 30k in just under 2 hours. This was my 40th marathon and from experience I knew if the wall was to come, it would arrive around now, with a smack to the face. Other runners were starting to drop back and I passed the occasionally walker and people stretching.

I still felt great and calculated I could drop the pace to around 6:30 m/m and still finish comfortably under 2:50. I’d planned to dedicate each of the last miles to close family, when it was getting tough. However, by mile 24 I’d missed a few family members as I was still in control and sight-seeing.

It became apparent that today was going to be a good day. I had worked a lot harder in the HM three weeks before and was strolling this one. I really enjoyed the last few miles and only put effort in over the last ½ mile. I’d visualised many times approaching the finish seeing 2:49:xx on the clock as I crossed the line. I was a little annoyed that it showed 2:50:xx due to the wonky start but I still knew I’d achieved my goal.

At 47 year old and 8 years of running, I’d broken 2:50 in my 40th marathon! My first two marathons took 3:52 and 3:48 and after 8 marathons I hadn’t beaten 3:10. Like a fine wine I’m getting better with age! I’m an average guy, whose never been in a proper running club or been coach. I don’t have much talent but through hard work (mileage) I had broken a barrier at once I thought impossible.

My official time was 2:49:06 for 775th place overall and a 2 minute PB. Looking at the results I passed 132 during the last 7.2k and was only passed by 9. I never had any dodgy moments during the race and walked liked normal after the finish. I didn’t suffer much DOMS over the next few days.

I met my family at Trafalgar square and after getting a few photos on the giant Lions back, headed to The Chandos. Unfortunately, I didn’t know what anyone looked like, so hoped my number would be spotted by someone. Sadly despite smiling at ever other runner I could make eye contact with, I was never spotted.

I’m giving seriously consideration of no longer trying to PB, at marathon or shorter distances. I don’t think I could get much faster and having achieved a sub 18 5k, sub 1:20 HM and sub 2:50 recently I’m extremely happy with my achievements. I’d still like to break 9 hours for a 100k and run over 100 miles. I’m not giving up marathons as I still plan on completing 100 of them!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Great report, Badbark (and again, congrats on the PB and well-executed race) - and thanks, as it's made me reflect a little bit.
    To explain; I've been (and still am (or was) ) in the deep doldrums, due to the fact that I've slowed so dramatically since I was running so well at age 60 (2 years ago).  Some of your comments, though, have caused me to realise  -

a) I've done pretty much as well as I could with what I've got -
        "I’m an average guy . . . . I don’t have much talent but through hard work I had broken a barrier  . . . ."

b) I've set of pb's I can take satisfaction in -
       " I don’t think I could get much faster . . . . I’m extremely happy with my achievements"

So, I'll take the glass half full option, and be grateful I can still "do my best with what I've got", even though I'm a VSlowGit these days !!   

I'm still puzzled, though - I'd expect to slow down, obviously, but not at the rate I have done . . . .   anyway, maybe I should join one of the VoGit threads to discuss this . . .  

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Jools great bit of racing on tired legs.
    0054 now you know where to focus on the next campaign,Id say mara paced runs are essential you have done amazing well without them but imagine what you could do with them and smash that 3 hrs again, you may have to sacrifice a few parkruns though or your legs will be too tired .
    Gdawg take it easy till the weekend .
    Badbark cracking report but there is no way you are done at 2:50 after being sick half the campaign ,shame you didn't meet any of the forumites at chandos what you needed was t shirt with madbark on it ,nobody would have missed that !!!
    Birch you are going though a bit of a rough patch , we all have em ,my coach is your age and is still knocking out 70 a week every week and has been for at least 35 years despite having  little power in 1 leg for the last 5 years due to a hamstring tear so had a massive slowdown (he ran 2:50 at 55) and hasn't raced since but he still hopes too  !! 

9 mile today with 5x 600m thrown in 5:41 to 6:05 pace slower 1 direction due to slight incline.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fab report, BI.  Lovely to read about a well executed race going to plan :)
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Chandos appearance evidence :)

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark -  I've never met you but I like your style! Brilliant report and you fully deserve everything that you have achieved. 140lbs!! Jaysus! :smiley:
  • I'm hoping to go to Highgate on the 21st but it'll be a last minute decision depending on what the rest of the weekend's plans are.

Jools / PMJ - might catch you at the Olympic Stadium on Saturday 5 August. Jools - I'll also be there on the evenings of Friday 4th, Tuesday 8th, Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th!!

Hope that the man-flu clears up before the weekend G-Dawg - just be careful not to over-stretch yourself if you're not feeling 100%.

Great report Madbark - so sorry to have missed you at Chandos. Were you upstairs or downstairs? There's also the chance that you had enough time to have a look round and then down your pint before the rest of us showed up.

Strange last few days running for me - 9 miles or so on Friday morning and then only enough time to fit in 4 miles easy over the weekend as I was on a course in north London on both days. Commuting runs today followed by a Vets track meeting in which I opted for 1500m, 400m and a leg of the 4x100m relay. Suspect that my legs will feel rather stiff in the morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm at the Worlds too! But with a family of 5 could only afford daytime tickets on the Saturday and Sunday.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - glad to hear the lurgy is on the way out.
    Badbark - great report on another amazing achievement.
    Birch - hope you can continue enjoy running for a good while to come yet. The sudden decline in pace must be unsettling to say the least.
    Leslie - nice turn of speed.
    Lorenzo - that's quite a lot of tickets you must have! No shot put last night?!
    Still nursing bruised ribs :(
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That is a great race report, BB.  You always come across as having such a positive attitude to the sport in spite of any adversities that would derail most people.  I think whether you feel you need to dial it back depends on two things: (1) physical decline - do you want to keep fighting the effects of ageing? (2) mental tiredness - it is psychologically exhausting to keep up the bid for PBs.  

At some point, whether it is at the end of our PB hunting days or midway through, it is probably worth having a break, if only to restore the fun factor and remind us how we used to run for fun as children.  Do you notice how no kid ever walks anywhere?  Mine run around like loons given half the chance.  That is our natural inclination and something I want to maintain! I recently read a beautifully written blog by Tina Muir who has decided to hang up her racing shoes as she wants to conceive.  The article, while addressing the taboo subject of amenorrhoea, was great in her frankness admitting that what we subject our bodies to has knock on effects.  Making a conscious decision to step back is a brave thing to do, whatever the reason.  Tina also illustrates how it takes some time to adjust to the new mindset and training pattern (Birch).

Some nice speedy stuff from Leslie and Lorenzo (in for a penny...!)

Glad to hear you are on the mend, Gul.  More pilates here.  Some core. Some arm stuff.  

PS You have very youthful looking knees, BB  :D
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Fantastic report BB. It sounds like you had the prefect race and despite the illness, a very through build-up (strides, up hill sprints, weights, stretching). Looks like you did everything right. 
    Well done on taking the decision to retire at the top. Ultimately chasing PBs has to end somewhere. 
    Did you get in any running on your holiday, or was it a case of adding a few pounds to your stick thin frame?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a fab report BB. Your experience this year could not have been more different from my own. I wonder if rest during those periods of illness helped your body. We must have been standing close on the Red FGFA and then in Chandos- sorry we missed you but we weren't really looking out for you as you did not confirm- we'll know for next time.

Take care Birch. We all have flat spots so I hope you are back soon.

I'm focusing on 5k and a 10k race at the end of May. Another session at the track today to try to get my pace back. 2 weeks of heavy travel planned so it will not be easy, then a month on the bench from the end of May when I have my hand op. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great report and pic BB. Great to see a perfectly executed race. Inspiring stuff.

I think you're on to something there OO. I had 3 enforced breaks during my Boston campaign and the rest helped my body recover from training fatigue as well as cure illness and heal injuries.
    Each campaign teaches me new things and I find I'm far more relaxed about how I train and race. Sure, there are still nerves and minor anxiety but knowing that a few days off will be beneficial rather than detrimental certainly helps keep one positive.

Fartlek session at the track tonight. perfect session to return after 4 weeks away.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I love that report BB.  You show that hard work and finding what works for the individual does pay off with excellent results.  Certainly I am beginning to believe that just running is not working for me and I need to do the other stuff too - in fact I used to do all that in 2012, which I classify as my best running year.  I'm sure that you'll have no problem to break 9 hours for 100km on the right course.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    You could always try cycling, Bike It!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Lorenzo 100m relay speedy stuff how did you fare ?
    Badbark 63kg I can't even get that low ,no wonder nobody recognised you in the bar .
    Bikeit time to mix it up a bit 
    Gul take it easy .

8m recovery today after getting up from nights (8:28 av)

Got some new runners Nike pegasus 33's this time and I thought I was having ANDYLID problems where my new shoes felt funny on my left foot for a few days but they seem to be settling down now after a few miles, I was nearly going to look at getting another pair of 32's for a while !!! and I haven't even reached the taper yet...

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    1st run this evening in 9 days and everything seems to be ok. 10k @ 8:22 pace, so nice and easy. Lovely sunny Liberation day off work here, so had to be done. 
  • Just seen the results from last night - 5:22 for the 1500 and just under 70s for the 400 so some room for improvement as both times were a bit slower than I managed last year. Gives me something to aim for - at least I wasn't running against younger Lorenzito in the 1500 - it would have been very embarrassing if he'd have lapped me!

Not sure how I did in the relay leg Leslie but suspect that Bolt won't be getting too worried.

Definitely no shot putt Gul, although I might try the triple jump again if it's one of the events at the next meeting. Apparently my recent endeavours ranked me in the top 10 in the country in my age group (V45)! :)

I actually made a bit of boo-boo when applying for tickets for the Worlds as I thought it was a ballot like the Olympics was, so pitched in for a number of sessions hoping to get one or two. Whoops! Still, I'm very much looking forward to it all now that the credit card bill has been paid.

Working from home today so managed a double of a 5 mile recovery run this morning and an 8 mile trail run in the evening club session.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I have been doing some cycling Keir - generally a few hours at the weekend when I'm staying at my house.  In the week I'm in Johannesburg where I don't have a bike and I consider it quite unsafe to cycle.  In the week I am strength training instead 

I went for a run last night - a hill session on a road called 'Olympus'.  Still some residual injury so I'll give it another week or so
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I did the same thing on tickets for the Worlds, Lorenzo.  :D
    I'm going on both evenings on the final weekend, so sprint relays for me.

Nice easy comeback there, GM. I bet it's lovely over there today?

Enjoying the pre-taper trainer panic there, Leslie  :D
    Funny how these things get in our heads. As I mentioned in my Boston report, I suddenly thought my laces were too loose on my left shoe with moments before the gun, yet with over 600 miles of training miles, no problems at all, never crossed my mind!

Third run since Boston last night with a session at the track. Gerschler fartlek with 12 x 30 second bursts and ever decreasing recoveries, a 3 min break and then go again. Felt OK although I could still feel the lurking lurgy on my chest head and throat but it's on its way out.
    Surprised at the end to see I'd covered 5 miles and averaged 6.40 pace.

The idea is to hold on to this speed base until the end of June when the Abingdon campaign commences.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - good luck with the speedwork.
    GD - nice session to return to the track with.
    Keir - I always thought Bike It was subliminal advertising.
    Leslie - pre-taper madness?!
    GM - pleased to hear all seems to be well.
    Lorenzo - reasonable performances on the track, but that's a very impressive stat for the triple jump!
    Bike It - take it easy - good name for a road for a hill session!
    Ribs are slowly improving. Not particularly painful, except when I sneeze!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - 18c and sunny today, so a nice beach run on lunch has to be done. I think you still have a good shot at the sub 40 for your 10k. Easing off after your marathon and enforced rest might have done you the world of good. Is it this weekend? What's the course like??

Gul - Seems you are healing too, albeit slowly.

All this talk of the WC's is making me really envious. Wish I was going.

Leslie - Shoes are soooo important. My Boston boost 6's are the best shoe I've ever had and I've had a few. :)

Lorenzo - Sounds like you had fun on the track.

Jools - That was a tough double so soon after your marathon but you did well.

MsE - Re the sub2 attempt. Kipchoge is some runner and seems like such a nice person too, I really like him. I wonder how much of a competitive edge that run will give him psychologically in a real race scenario now? He, Kipsang and Bekele should all be faster than Kimetto at the marathon and I expect one of them will break that WR soon, or at least I hope they do, I think Bekele is desperate to but as far as breaking the sub2 none of them have youth on their side and I'm not sure they will get near it in a race scenario but I believe that someone unknown will and sooner than some of the so called experts are predicting.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo nice top10 placing on a sport you never do !!
    Bikeit cracking name for a road.
    Gul yes probably although on my other foot I thought I had a blister after today run but it's only hard skin .Still warm over here 17c today,blue sky plenty of sun !!!
    Gdawg looks like sub 40 will be a walk in the park if you take it easy till sunday !
    Gerard yes I've settled on nike pegasus for several years now as they don't really change much each year after 33 years in production (I think ) unlike most other manufacturers.My only choice is colour v's price I can get them for ...(bad colours are cheaper)
    Id say the rush to get closer to 2 hrs now will be relentless and wr's will tumble.

Up after nightshift for 21m in the heat at 8:03 average, 12 miles on the tougher bit of the mara course with 4m of extra tough hills dropped in early on.  goot heat test with 17c but a nice little breeze too. Whacked !

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - I've never ran in Nike shoes but I hear the Pegasus are quite good. I was a Saucony fan for years and only recently switched allegiance to Adidas and would recommend the Boston Boosts, they are light but have a real bouncy feel to them. Nice LR in the sunshine. Chances are it might be a bit cooler on race day. Well I hope so, 17c is a tad warm for a marathon but not too extreme. 

Gul - I know what you mean re sneezing and things hurt. I hurt my hip adductor recently and when I coughed or laughed I could feel it. 

I had to bin my planned beach lunch run today as I had to attend a very dull seminar but I more than made up for it tonight. I did 11 miles on an out and back undulating route along the east coast, into a F5 headwind out and a nice tailwind back. 7:25 average pace and it was a good test to see how the body held up. That was my longest training run since the November half. Everything felt fine and the plan was to run at a comfortable even pace all the way but some miles fluctuated as we ran up a few hills along the way. I'm in two minds now whether to enter a half marathon in June. I've only raced it once back in 2012 and bonked at 18k and shuffled home in 1:30. I will have to see how the next 3 weeks go before before I decide. I don't think I can aim for a quick time as I need to be careful in the next week or so but I'd like to run it just to break the gap between racing it. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    BB sorry to have missed you in the pub, although a combo of your shorts and my dress would have had us arrested for breach of the peace.

Nice multi-eventing Lorenzo.  Top 10 triple jumper, that is something special.

GM - enter the race, you know you want to

OO, Minni - my running chum from Luxembourg is suddenly double booked for the Coastal Run - so there is place on offer. There is a transfer system this year so if you know anyone interested, let me know.  Entry was about £20 I think.

Gul - look after those ribs

Leslie - as others have said, you are absolutely cooking at the moment - there must be a rapid race waiting to happen.

Total 3.2 miles this month so far, and that was home from the garage after dropping off the car for MOT.  Quite fit but too busy to exercise.  Hoping to be ranked in the top 10 EOG55 pickaxe users in the UK.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - another serious session there. Well done.
    GM - nice run. Have you entered the HM yet then?!
    Poacher - careful with that axe, EOG55.
    Went out to visit someone with Mrs GD last night and she decided to bike it, so I did a very easy 2 x 1 mile run alongside her. All seems fine, so should be off the bench soon.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - "careful with that axe, EOG55"    - brilliant !! :)  :)   
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr said:

Leslie - another serious session there. Well done.
    GM - nice run. Have you entered the HM yet then?!
    Poacher - careful with that axe, EOG55.
    Went out to visit someone with Mrs GD last night and she decided to bike it, so I did a very easy 2 x 1 mile run alongside her. All seems fine, so should be off the bench soon.

Gul - No, I haven't entered yet. I've missed 8 quality sessions at a crucial point, so I feel the build up has been compromised in terms of a target time and I'm not sure if I am totally safe injury wise either, so it will be a very late call. I'll see how the next 3 weeks go, I really would like to run it.