Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    I was a Nike Pegasus user for many years and was always a year or two behind and the most awful colours but at about £50 a pair they were good value. Now the latest is £100 RRP and the 32 is £90 RRP and £65 discounted which is too steep so I have gone for Asics Gels.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard I have heard other say the boston boost's are good , one to try in the future maybe. Just enter the half to get a race in.17c on race day would ruin me we are just not cut out for it over here .
    Poacher race is sunday but today I am fit for nothing , 21 after nights is not to be recommended and certainly not 4 days before a race but needs must and mara comes first ! Id say you are easily top 5 at wood chopping !
    Gul about time you got the trainers back on.
    PMJ I got this pair for 55 quid on the bay and in nice colours too but I've wore some shocking ones in the winter but with the forest path I run they were all brown with mud anyway so nobody saw it .

6 recovery this morn , I think I've got vogit legs syndrome 9:11m/mile  average !

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Birch – I’m glad to read a few comments in my report struck a note. You have some major achievements in running so definitely take the glass half full option.

Leslie – Brilliant reps in your 9 miler.

Lor – I tried up and downstairs at Chandos but had a pint down. Maybe see you next year! That looks a tough track meeting!

Mse – The main reason I’m considering not trying to PB anymore is really down to time. I only run really well of training mileage of 90+ miles a week. It’s a heck of a commitment, especially with a 3 year old daughter. I still intend on running 40-60 miles a week but know from experience, I’ll not reach the same heights however hard I try. I’ll still try though!

Keir – Thanks, as you will read below I didn’t run on holidays at all and gained a few pounds…..

OO – I’m sorry to read your marathon didn’t go to plan. You have such amazing speed, and shorter distances PB’s I can only dream of! I certainly don’t think my enforced breaks did me any harm.

Bi – I’d certainly recommend you do weights, drills, sprints and core work if you wish to reach your running peak.

GM – Good to see you took a break but are back running again. Enter the half already!!

GD – Good plan to hold onto the speed before Abringdon

Gul – Glad to read your ribs are improving and you’ll be flying again in no time.

Poacher – Yes, my shorts were short indeed. I tried to wear the lightest version of everything I had.

After London I went to Tenerife and didn’t run a step for 2 weeks. A few weeks before the marathon I weighed 140 lbs and on return from Tenerife I weighed 172 lbs! I had enjoyed 5 course meals and drank myself stupid every day – it was fantastic! Although a lot of this weight was fluid as my ankles resembled a 90 years old by the end. :) 

I’m now back running again and feel like a slug. My HR is through the roof even at slow paces, and every step it feels like I’m running through treacle. I know from experience it will take about 10 days before I start to run normally again.

My next major race is the 24 hr World Championships in Belfast on the 1st of July. I’m in the Open race but will be rubbing shoulders with 300 of the top ultra-runners in the world. For the first time they are awarding age group World Championship prizes. This is open to the runners in the Open race, so I’m actually competing in the 24 hr World Championship Masters race!

I’ve now got the task of getting myself fit enough to run 100+ miles! In true Madbark style I’ve entered 3 marathons between 28th of May and 25th of June, to help build my fitness and endurance again. I might even sneak in a 50k or 100k race on the 10th June. :)  I certainly plan on running close to 50 miles before the big day.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - I think that may have been lost on the less chronologically challenged members of the thread ;)
    Leslie - at least you know you needed that recovery run!
    Badbark - sounds like that should be an amazing experience - good luck with the insane build-up!
    Decided it was time to try some running this morning and did 6 slow miles. All felt fine at the time. Not sure if I am imagining this but my ribs do feel a bit sore now though.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Badbark 32lb weight gain in 2 weeks is impressive no wonder your legs are struggling ..you nearly had us with the I'm going to be sensible then you let slip ...24 hr race, 3 mara's in a month and a 50 miler training run !!! B)
    Gul yes I did ,proper whacked yesterday then sneaked in a 4m last night and back to 6m this morn at 9:02 m/mile so not much go yet but getting there.
    Had a blister after all ,my sock had worn down to the mesh on the side and chaffed a bit (duly popped) so can't blame the new shoes . Good you got a run in but ribs are bound to niggle a bit with running for a while.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Your plan is crazy as ever BB but you never fail to deliver.
    I'm in Boston Boosts at the mo. Quite like them but they do wear out quickly.
    Hoping to be a bit quicker at parkrun this weekend...
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - how's the blister today?
    OO - hope the speed returns today.
    In for a penny, in for a pound, so 18 miles @ 8:16 m/m this morning. No issues, other than some rather unhappy quads, so it's looking good.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Good indeed, fine pacing there Gul. Sounds like your quads didn't appreciate the gear shift... 

Todays park won by the great Ian Hudspith, still knocking out 16 minutes in his late 40s. I ran 18:16 with avg. 5:50 pacing for an 83% WAVA- definitely felt like the pace was coming back.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    BB - change the name to Bingebark or Burgerbark perhaps.

Excellent park running by OO

Looking good Gul/Leslie

I could get to like this EOG55 thing. First outing as an old man today, 19.31 for 7th at Parkrun & almost 79% WAVA, the next EOG55 came in 2 1/2 minutes later. Maybe time to retire while ahead.  Competition certainly thins out as one gets more doddery.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul its deflated lol ,much less annoying now couldn't get any cheap asics kayano socks  I like so had to stump up 14 quid a pair ,bloody robbery but I'm in a hurry ! Nice long un at a good pace .
    0054 83% wava is right up there, cracking pace shame the competition there is so sharp as you should be winning with that at least some weeks.
    Poacher you need to get that up to 80% wava but you are well ahead of your rivals.
    4 slow ones , legs coming back but may not be quite ready for tomorrow ...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes enjoy your 8 months before I turn V55 and spoil your party Poacher ;)
    I had V50 showdown today. Two guys ahead of me with a mile to go both V50s. Managed to haul them in and put 2 secs on them by the end. One had the cheek to run past me in the finish funnel but the Marshall amusingly told him to get behind me. 
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrunning guys. Same for me but on pacing duty with my V65 pal. He was hoping to crack 21:30 and we did 21:23. It was a lovely run, nice a warm and the hip was grand. Will give it another week before I attempt any real faster stuff.  

Gul
    - Nice 18! 
  • Options
    Good monthly mileage there Poacher - sounds like all the axe-wielding is keeping you in good shape. Congrats on winning the EOG award.

32lbs in 2 weeks Badbark - what on earth did the 5 course meals consist of?! Are you still vegan? How easy will you find it to shed the excess timber over the next few weeks?

Great parkrun performance there OO - still knocking out super fast times.

Had what felt like a tough track session down at the club on Thursday evening - 4 x 400s, 4 x 200s, 4 x 100s but I'm hoping it's doing me some good. Rest day yesterday and my legs were still feeling a bit battered this morning but I managed to get out for a hilly, off-road 19 miles on one of my favourite routes over to Leith Hill - just over 2,200ft worth of ascent en route.

G-Dawg - had a good natter with your mate Rich at the Surrey County Champs as both of us were there supporting our respective offspring.

Younger Lorenzito was at the County Champs competing in the U17s 800m and after running a sensible heat and qualifiying for the final., MrsL and I were keeping our fingers crossed that he'd have his sensible race head on, not go off like a train and be able to get a medal after finishing 4th in the 1500m last year.

As it turned out he paced it perfectly, sitting on the shoulder of the leaders until he put his foot down with just over 200m to go, opened up a 5m or so gap and held on coming down the home straight to take first place in a new PB of 2:01.86 - suffice to say he was absolutely delighted as were we, although with GCSEs starting on Monday there was more than a bit of relief thrown in as well!!! Is there an emoji specially for a proud parent?!

Hopefully heading out with a mate tomorrow morning to bring up a respectable 55 or so for the week.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Nice long runs Leslie, Gul, Lorenzo

and Lorenzo - big congrats to junior - that's really excellent, and you have every right to your parental pride - B):)  

Poacher & OO - great placings and WAVA scores there
    parkrun for me too, as part of my "try to recover a bit of fitness" campaign - this ended a 7 day block starting with 800m & mile reps last Sun, 15.5 Tues, 4th and final Road League 5 miler on Wed (another killer course - bit of flat, 2 miles up, bit of flat, 2 miles down, bit of flat) - 39:28 acceptable (shows how low my bar currently is) on legs tired from the 15. bits and pieces thur, fri, then 23:17 parkrun y'day within an 8 miler. Legs still bashed from the race on Wed - only 2nd VoGit, but scraped 70% WAVA, which is my absolute minimum benchmark . . . .

onwards and upwards, hopefully . . . .

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some really impressive times coming from the Saga Subscribers! You boys are putting us junior runners to shame!  :D
    Having said that, I'll be joining you all in September when big Five-O looms.   :'(

Lorenzo - Rich picked me up this morning for the Staines 10k and he told me the story of Lorenzito hitting the burners with 200 to go. Absolutely textbook execution! Do pass on our congratulations!!  B)

Staines 10k this morning and bagged a PB.  :)  
    It was only my 4th 10k race and first for 3 years  :/
    Didn't get that elusive sub-40 but considering I've had manflu lurgy type stuff for 2 weeks and it was only my 5th run in 5 weeks, including Boston I'll take a 40.25, thanks.

I did go for it, though, first mile was 6.19 and I felt OK. On the third mile we did a loop and hit a headwind. I still got through 5k in 19.58 which is the first time I've hit sub-20 in a race for 5k (did 19.03 at the track last month but that doesn't count).

Decided to settle for a couple of miles, build up on the 5th and bomb the 6th. Unfortunately we hit the headwind again and I knew it wouldn't be on, so just a PB will have to do. 
    The course is flat but open roads meant jumping in and out of the kerbs and when on the pavement there were lots of dropped kerb driveways to upset the rhythm.

Pretty pleased overall and a good session to start building pre-Abingdon campaign speed.
  • Options
    G-Dawg - 40:25 shouldn't be sniffed at (although if you're still suffering from the lurgy, you might have been sniffing! :) ). With a good summer's worth of speed you'll be in great shape for Abo - see you at the Dorking 10!

8.5 miles for me this morning, although it felt tough going after yesterday's exploits.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    0054 bloody cheek indeed passing at the funnel , nice racing.
    Gerard on the mend good stuff.
    Lorenzo well done the youngster,a first place!
    Birch good comeback week there , racing after a 15 miler is tough.
    Gdawg you will be sub 40 very soon 

Strabane half mara today .

Finish time is somewhere around 1:23:54 no results out yet so over a minute of my last pb from march and in a much bigger week .

75 mile for the week .

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Sounds like your son ran a very smart race and I bet he'll crack the sub 2 soon, that would be impressive. Good training by you too, getting back into the groove nicely.

Birch - You're getting some sessions in at the mo and with a bit more speed work that WAVA will rise. 

G-Dawg - Well run and sub 40 will come soon for sure. 

Leslie -  Another cracking performance today. That's fast! Looking good for your marathon. 

12 miles for me today in sunny conditions with a moderate sea breeze. Easy pace, 8:11 and then a 20 min ice bath in the sea afterwards with my pal. That was painful! The irony is that she has a heated swimming pool in her garden and it looked so nice but we opted for the natural Epsom salt bath effect instead. I've been asked by the cub scout leader to do a sports/exercise presentation for the kids on Tuesday night. It's going to be fun and the cubs will have to design their own obstacle course and then do a timed run on it. Should be interesting and it's meant to be a scorcher that day so really looking forward to that. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Fab news on young Lorenzo- well run race and a handy time and title. I'm sure you are full of pride.

Glad the hip is not stopping you Gerard- I know just how that feels.

GD, that's a very decent 10k- as said more to come I'm sure. You need to race them more frequently so you learn the pacing and feel of the distance. 

Leslie that half time reflects your current form. You haven't eased up at all- imagine what you could do on fresh legs!

My best week post mara. 53 miles for the week after 15 today at 8:20 pace. Most were around 8 but a few slow ones as we chatted at the start. Sore hip but that's a given these days.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Gerard Yes pleased with that coming of nightshift and with a 21 4 days before and no cutback.Nice 12 but Id have taken the heated pool all day long !

I did try for low 83 but it was clear from the start that it wasn't on given how tired my legs were ,more to come for sure.Nice 15 in a good week.Hope the hip behaves.

Chip time 1:23:50 and 31st place (would be 29th on chiptime)
    Average hr 179 peak 190 bpm.

6 very slow recovery ones 9:31 average.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Some super speedy running going on I see. Congrats on the PBs G-Dawg and Leslie :)

And nice parkrunning OO, Poacher, Gerard and Birch.

Gul -glad things are on the mend

Not much to report from me - a couple of nice runs over the weekend, although I'm coming down with a cold and could feel its effects yesterday.  Hopefully it'll pass quickly.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - great parkrunning.
    Poacher - EOG55 champ! Well done.
    GM - perfect pacing.
    Lorenzo - congratulations to younger Lorenzito winning in style! You are rightly proud.
    Birch - good week of running - sounds encouraging.
    GD - congrats on the PB - you will smash 40 mins when you are in peak fitness.
    Leslie - fantastic! Well deserved after all those hard miles. When you have tapered you will be like lightning.
    Freemers - hope the lurgy vanishes quickly.
    Tried out a different route today, heading south out of town to check out the footpath on the river Nar. Unfortunately, only had time for 0.4 miles along the bank before it was time to turn round and head home. Next time I'll have to take the car and park nearby! 12 miles @ 8:18 m/m d&d.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hello peeps.  Dropping back in after a busy time with the family.  A quick read back sees that the thread's EOGs are running spectacularly well.  You are going to really challenge them in the WAVA ratings when you move into the EOG55 category, OO.  Superb short course racing from you as ever.

I think we need to rechristen BBLardyBark.  I can't decide what is more impressive, the sub-2:50 marathon or the 32lb weight gain in a fortnight!

Lorenzo - so impressed with junior's time!  Well done. No wonder you are a proud parent.  I see you are churning out decent miles on Strava.  I think you could try for a podium spot in the Surrey Hills Ultra (aka the race I persuaded you to run and then dropped out of  ;) )

Glad to hear the hip is behaving itself, GM.  Is it me, or are your runs creeping up in length?

GD - congrats on the 10K PB!  How are the old niggles these days?  Hopefully a thing of the past now.

Leslie - congrats on an excellent HM time at the end of a 75 mile week.

Get well soon, Freemers.  I am sure this stop start hot cold weather isn't helping with banishing the winter lurgies until autumn.  Hurry up summertime!

Lovely MLR at a decent pace from you, Gul.

Here is my story in photos:

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Oh and here is how withered a leg can become in just two weeks of immobility:

Eughhhhhh!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not bad pins MsE ;)
    and you toe nails are in a lot better shape than mine!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - Cool pics! I like the nail polish! Yes, my runs are creeping up in distance, they ought to be really as I'm hoping to run a half in 3 weeks and then it's into marathon training. 

OO - I am managing the hip problem as best as I can at the mo but it's still not 100%. 

Freemers - Get well soon, my son has been bunged up for the past 5 days or so. 

Leslie - Great to break the 4 min per km threshold for your half! When did you last have a rest day? I would have had the day off today had I raced a half yesterday. 

Gul - Nice to try something different. I'm guessing you run mostly alone if not all the time?

5k lunch run today. 7:18 pace in very humid conditions. Started off slow and felt a tad wonky but then cranked it up a bit every 400m or so.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of great racing going on, both from thread members and their super talented children.  

MsE
    : do you paint your nails for the reason I do, namely to hide their general mankiness, or are you lucky enough to still have nails that don't betray your status as a runner?!

Not much running over the weekend for me: 11M 'long' run on Saturday and then at a wedding yesterday.  35 for the week.  7 this morning with a few 2 minute efforts at about marathon pace just to very gently turn the legs over.
  • Options
    AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Last long week before Comrades taper.

Annual running club 'guess your time' run last week; about 9 miles with 360m of elevation gain (mostly compressed into two 1 in 5 hills). No watches or GPS allowed, so as an event it really plays to my strengths of consistent pacing and awareness of what's going on - not! Having said that, was only 1min 16s out from my predicted time of 1:12:00 (winner managed 2s difference!). It's a really good race to try and make you focus on what you're doing, though there is a huge temptation to backslide into 'race' mode and try to overhaul the person in front of you.

Sunday decided to do some hills, so ran two laps of the hilliest bits of our half marathon course, which became 21 miles, 755m of elevation gain in 3h15m, which I'm fairly happy with. Route including the entertainingly named Slaughterhouse Hill, which is closely followed by Hospital Hill!

Now to spend a couple of weeks fretting about shoes and nutrition.....
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Andy - That annual race sounds like fun. The name of them there hills says it all. :) Great training! I can't recall if I asked already or if you said, is this your first Comrades? 

Jools - You're busy as ever. What's on the horizon for you? Have entered an Autumn mara? 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Freemers get well soon.
    Gul coming back strong again with a 12m.
    MSE bet you are glad to get that moonboot off and hopefully can grow you weedy leg back to its normal size again .My right quad had shrank a lot due to my bad knee over several years of underuse.
    0054 hope that hip settles down .
    Gerard nice 5k, my last rest day was 116 days ago ! I thought it was too risky to take one now due to the high risk of seizing up which happened last time .
    Jools nice easy week.
    Andylid a very tough 21 up cardiac hill !!! 2 secs I doubt there was a sneaky garmin somewhere .

6 very easy this morn but legs coming back.