Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    At last I can compete with MsE. Though her pins are easier on the eye ;)
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    MsE - sorry to read about the injury but i just wanted to reassure you that it should get back to normal quite quickly. I had an accident with my hand a few years back and couldn't use it for 6 weeks ... my forearm withered shockingly but once i started to use it again it wasn't long until it looked relatively normal again. All the best !!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Gul another decent long run your in fine form.
    0054 fine bit of wrapping there ,time to rest up now.

6m easy today after getting up from nights (8:26 av) and another proper scorcher 26c again and enjoying the heat acclimatization phase of my training Lol ,gotta cover every base !!! monsoon conditions forecast for tomorrow though must get the grass cut before it grows in the windows !

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - 27c is very hot for your neck of the woods. I'd like to think if I was fit that an 89 on a flat road half marathon wouldn't present too much difficulty but 4 miles of the one I'm doing is off road which slows you right down. I know, getting super close now!

OO - Recover well!

4 miles last night @ 7:24 pace on the beach in the glorious sunshine, my legs felt a bit stiff from the HMP session the other night. 5k progressive run today on lunch in the heat (28c) along the seafront. 6:59 pace. I am loving this weather at the mo but I hope it cools down for races!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Although the arm looks to be bound up quite rigidly - if I were your family I'd superglue a rotisserie spit or some kebab skewers to it and make you stand by the barbecue.

Gul - I am working in the Thetford area next week - has it been very hot and dry in Norfolk?
  • Quick skim back shows some great times from Leslie, OO and MsPoachette, tidy miles as ever from Gul, an impressive stint on the bike from Poacher, the usual lunacy from Madbark and a stunning array of body part photos from MsE and OO.

Life has been getting in the way of posting at the moment, not least of which is due to the fact that I've decided to resign from my current job without anything else to go to. First time I've ever done that so I'm definitely feeling a combination of apprehension and excitement.

Plan is to find a job that's got real purpose, so I'm starting my search in the charity / not-for-profit sector. Have been released from my current role with time off for good behaviour and will be working until the end of June which gives me July to do some serious job hunting and networking (on top of what I've already started to do) with the ideal situation being to find somewhere to start in the autumn so that I can enjoy the summer's athletics extravaganza followed by a holiday in the States. Fingers crossed.

Fortunately all this hasn't stopped me from getting out and running. It's been an unusual week in so far as I've been out running in the evening 4 times: Vets League on Monday (still no official results), a great 9 mile Club trail run on Tuesday, an easy run in South Gloucestershire in very warm conditions on Wednesday and a tough track session (1000/800/400/200/100/100/200/400/800/1000) yesterday - a combined time of 17:42 for the total of 5K which, had it not been for the breaks would have been a very impressive PB! :) 

Easy 5.6 miles this morning should mean I'm feeling good for a medium length yomp through the woods tomorrow before heading off the Globe Theatre for a spot of culture in the afternoon. Looks as though it'll be a warm start to the day but hopefully sunny in the afternoon as I'll be in the uncovered groundlings area at the Globe.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard just finished my run and I can see the rain starting , it's going to be a very wet one going by the forecast , day temps ok for me as I've lost a lot of weight I feel the cold more now but many struggling with the heat it ,found it too hot for sleeping last night though.Offroad will make it a bit tougher for sure watch those ankles.
    Lorenzo bailing out of a job is a very brave move but I'm sure you have a plan , enjoy having the summer off for good behaviour and hopefully that will yield a nice fat pb !!!  I've nearly 22 years done in my current role lol 

7 miles with strides first few were feeble but the last 2 or 3 I was burning the blacktop going sub 5 !
  • Lorenzo, very brave of you and I am very envious. I suppose I mustn't complain as I am in a rut but that rut is quite pleasant and ticks all the boxes but really is quite selfish and I'd like it to be a bit more altruistic. My elder brother (just 15 months older) has just retired and is now working as a volunteer on the Watercress Line so maybe I'll go the same way. My Dad did similar, "retired" in his early 50s and did a lot of work as publicity officer for the Ramblers before eventually retiring properly and just leading a walk or two each week. 

Anyhow, running ... just can't get a fast time for love nor money. Parkrun this morning and 20:00 on the nose so mustn't complain as there are plenty slower. 13th overall and 11th age graded and that is where I think it starts to "hurt". I used to finish pretty high up in races. As I have got older, I have fallen back a few places but had the comeback of maybe finishing in the top 10 but top 3 WAVA. Now seem to need to rely on WAVA to place me and it takes a bit to get used to the changes.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    1st and last run of the week, decided to go slower at Parkrun to have a catch up with TP who is off to her first Comrades on Weds. 20.18 for WAVA 75%. Kept one eye on the EOG opposition to extend the podium streak to a whopping 3 weeks. Ron Hill eat your heart out.  Then 31m bike, very windy up here.

Lorenzo - DM-ed you.

• PMJ - thanks. The rut I'm in isn't all that unpleasant but, whether it's called a mid life crisis or not, I want to do something that I'll be able to look back on with pride, satisfaction and fulfillment hence the areas that I'm looking at at the moment.

Poacher - got your message. Have responded. :)

Just under 14 trail miles this morning to bring me up to 40 for the week - hoping the weather stays dry to be able to head out on the bike for a couple of hours tomorrow morning for a change.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    OO - hope the recovery from the op goes well.
    Leslie - got my grass cut on Thursday evening. Just need to get my hair cut now.
    GM - you missed the important bit. Did you cool off in the sea afterwards?
    Poacher - yes, hot and dry is a good description. There was a fire in Thetford forest this week, but fortunately it didn't spread. Are you doing some landscape gardening? I think the soil is a bit more sandy out that way (heavy clay here), so hopefully not too bad. Good luck to TP.
    Lorenzo - really hope you can find a job that brings you real satisfaction. Sounds like you've a busy schedule lined up! Excellent track session. Enjoy the cycling.
    Leslie - cracking turn of speed.
    PMJ - WAVA sounds the way to go.
    Rest day yesterday as I had an early start with Mrs GD. Spend the day at Rutland Water, walking and birdwatching, with an afternoon tea in Oakham sandwiched in between. 8 mile recovery run this morning to make 72 for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you'll be fine Lorenzo. Take your time and find something you'll enjoy.

PMJ do you think you are losing pace over all distances or just the fast stuff?..

I'm doing some walking while I recover. Getting very bored....

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hello all

Lorenzo - that's a big call on the work front ;  really admire your courage in doing so. My working life was was just "functional" - working for the paycheck, so to speak - I never really hated it, but never (and still don't) felt it served any useful contribution to the "greater good" . . . .    sincere good wishes in your quest  . .

Poacher - nice 75% wava, and interesting comments by PMJ on that topic, and of getting slower . . . .   at age 48 I ran 2:57 for the marathon, 18 months later I ran 3:07, and thought , ok, just an off day, be back under 3 hours next time . . .  but I never did .  . levelled off for a few years, one or two injury layoffs, then at 60 (2 years ago) running really well - 1:29 half (virtually 80% wava) & 3:18 mara (76%) , but another dramatic fall-off similar to the one in my early 50's
    eg - parkrun yesterday (with 3 miles either side) 22:50 (71.5% wava) - half a minute per mile slower than my half marathon pace of 2 years ago (so Gul, I'm not sandbagging when I anticipate a PW at Derby Half next week :) )    only 2nd VoGit as well - 1st VoGit bagged 19:24 & 84.8% wava  !!   . . .  

so, whilst I like to think I can claw back a bit of lost ground - WAVA plays a part in deluding myself I'm still doing ok  . . .    

btw, Gul - sounds a splendid rest day there - and fine 72 for the week :)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    PMJ 20 mins is a fast time ! This week was the first time I broke 20 mins in possibly 2 years.  Time to mix up the training a bit as see what happens  as age related decline isn't that rapid my coach lost about 1 min a year at mara distance over 20 years to 55 years (2:32 to 2:50) if I remember correct , perhaps your training has dropped off a bit since you stopped mara training and that is a bigger factor making the decline seem worse than it is ?
    Poacher nice bike fuelled running podium streak .
    lorenzo nice trail running ,all the best with your new ventures whatever they may be .
    GUL a cracking week there .
    0054 no fun when you cannot run still at least its not injury related as such so you will be back strong in no time.
    Birch sandbagger ! lol that first VoGit was fast you are going to have to up your game a bit .

Last long ish run :
    13 miles this morn 8:08 average and I felt those over enthusiastic strides from yesterday in the top of my left hammy ( having problems here for months now ,nothing too serious and settles after a few easy days again ) my left hip is tight anyway and this may be the actual problem who knows !

53m for the week .

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Apologies for not mentioning you all. Am on holiday with the family in Corfu and on a phone.

Just wanted to say thank you to Mace for your reassuring words. In a funny way, lay offs due to injury require the same mindset as ones due to pregnancy or babies which help you accept the situation and go with the flow. Only another week and a half until I can ditch the crutches and start the real work on building myself back up.

Birch - thanks for asking about MsEsq. His shoulder is healing well and he's started hydrotherapy. 

Lorenzo - best of luck with the new focus. I've got a feeling you'll be taking this in an exciting new direction. 

OO - recover quickly. It's very boring being on the bench but it sounds like you'll be back in no time. Fancy trying some Pilates in the meantime?  ;) 

This is my view for the week with Albania just across the water... 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Great view. I saw that in reverse from the Albanian side many years ago. There were said to be armed troops, searchlights etc to stop anyone swimming to the west. And there was no retsina.

Gul - clay...aaaarggghhh. Thankfully no digging next week. Excellent miles by you. It must be almost exactly a year since you triumphed in the White Peak smackdown.  Let's have a rematch sometime.

Birch - slip the annoyingly fast VOG a fiver with a suggestion that he finds a different venue.

PMJ you strike me as a very natural and economical runner - if you are slowing it's not down to lack of ability, presumably it's the training and a busy life.

51 on the bike this afternoon. Feeling reasonably fit
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Track session of sorts for ms with my son just for fun. He wanted me to run 100m's and I was apprehensive as I've never run one before plus I'm hopeless at sprinting. Had one w/up effort 17 seconds and then two more goes both 15.5 seconds, so experiment proves I'm hopeless at trying to run fast. Did one mile then and 5:52 felt very hard. Had fun with my boy which was the main thing. I expect he'll be beating me within the next 5 years or so.

Stunning view MsE. Nice place to spend some more time recovering. Will have a proper read back later. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

5 Years Gerard? I thought the same with junior, but she was on my shoulder in less than 3!

Take care Lesley, keep an eye on those pains now.

My middle daughter fell yesterday, 1 mile into her run on a downhill pavement, and has fractured both elbow joints. we spent 4 hours in casualty with the drunks of Newcastle, not much fun.

Fab picture MsE, enjoy the holiday. I think I'll stick to walking for the moment. Another 11 miles yesterday.

We still think you are amazing Birch!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    MSE enjoy the sun , rest and family time.
    Poacher another nice bike ride.
    Gerard 15.5 secs sounds fast ,sounds like great fun to with the youngun.
    0054 fracturing both elbows sounds nasty ,I guess there isn't much can be done either and it's going to make life difficult for a while hope you both are on the mend soon. 11mile walks sounds like you were out a long time !
    6 recovery miles (8:43 av) maybe a bit of nightshift jetlag or taperitis but I feel as flat as a pancake today .
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO - that's really bad luck for your daughter - on another day she may have escaped with bruises & scrapes. Hope she heals quickly (same goes for you, too). . .

5 easy, but invigorating miles in the "mizzle" this morn  . . .
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    I see badbark had a fine result yesterday !
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

A humble 6 six mile walk here. Weather is truly awful but haven't ruled out another walk later to get to 10.

Don't worry Leslie you are strong and the force will return.  

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I ran the Newry Marathon yesterday aiming for a sub 3. It was only 3 weeks since my 2 week holiday where I didn’t run at all, so I wasn’t overly confident. It was really just a training session towards the 24 hour race in July. I didn’t taper at all and ran a 10k race on Wednesday and a hard effort Parkrun the day before.

Conditions were perfect and the first half of the marathon had rolling hills with the second half flat. My plan was to start at 6:40 pace and see how I felt. Then ease off a bit over the last 10k for a comfortable sub 3.

However, after the first mile my plans changed. Two runners had disappeared in the distance but I could still see 3rd place while I was in 7th. I recognised the guy in 3rd and knew he was of a similar ability to me. So I thought I would see how things went and maybe have a crack at a podium place.

My 5k splits were pretty consistent with 20:27, 20:27, 20:37, 20:36 and went through half way just under 1:27. I was in 5th not far from 4th (female) but 3rd was out of sight a couple of minutes ahead.  The next 5k took 20:28 but 4th had pulled away out of sight too.

I felt great and knew I wouldn’t have to slow down and hoped the two ahead of me would. The course was flat and without really trying my pace increased. I ran a 20:02 then 20:22 5k’s and was closing in on 4th. I overtook her around 23 miles but still couldn’t see 3rd. I kept hoping I would see him as my pace was now around 6:20 minute miles.  

It was pretty weird running a marathon and hoping the finish line wouldn’t arrive! I ran the last full mile at 6:13 pace, during which I finally could see 3rd place up ahead. I was closing, but agonisingly slowly as I passed the 26 mile mark. I ran the last ¼ mile at 6 minute mile pace but finished 23 seconds behind 3rd in 2:52:08.

I was disappointed to not make the podium, especially as it was Newry Marathons 10th year and there were some nice commemorative prizes. However, I never thought I would run anywhere near that time with just 3 weeks training, after a layoff and considerable weight gain! A nice negative split too. 

• OO - not great at all. How long will MsOO be out of action for? Impressive cast for you there!

Birch - we've all got confidence in you for next week!! :)

MsE - great view there from the injury bench. In answer to your question about support during the ultra - thanks. I'll drop you a FB message.

Talking of my upcoming Ultra, it's being put on by the Cystic Fibrosis Trust so if anyone fancies making a donation to them, I've just sent up a fundraising page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LawrenceTakesGreatStrides - thanks in advance to anyone who's able to donate to such a worthy cause.

Thanks also to everyone for their words and best wishes about my next steps - will keep the thread posted on any interesting developments!

Only managed to get out for an hour on the bike yesterday but followed that up with 11 off-road miles this morning.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Just catching up on with what's been going on.

Gul - Sounded like a lovely time was had by you and Mrs GD and an excellent weekly total.

Birch - 70 plus WAVA is good. What would a 70% WAVA yield for your half? I'm just curious that's all. I don't think I've ever exceeded 73% and I usually get much worse as I run the longer distances. I'll do well to get near 70 for my half.

Lorenzo - Exciting times ahead for you if a little uncertain. It's a brave decision but one you I'm sure you won't regret. Fair play to you and I wish you all the best for whatever you decide to do.

OO - That's really awful re junior. Speedy recovery to you and your daughter. Re my son, he's only 8 (he turns 9 in July) so I reckon I'll be ok for the next 5 years or so but I expect as soon as he hits his teens and if he is still super sporty then I'll be resigned to trying to keep up with him. He has a steely determination about him so the clock is ticking. :) 

Badbark - A fine performance and time considering your holiday binge but the rest probably worked wonders for your recovery. What was the weigh in pre Newry? 

Leslie - You've done all the hard work you just need to hold onto your sanity now and avoid and mishaps and you'll be grand. Have you thought about having a sports massage?

Zero running today and tomorrow as well and my legs felt surprisingly good after yesterday's track session. Photo of Seb & I from yesterday's sesh. Spot the similar sunglasses. :)  

• Badbark said:

I ran the Newry Marathon yesterday aiming for a sub 3. It was only 3 weeks since my 2 week holiday where I didn’t run at all, so I wasn’t overly confident. It was really just a training session towards the 24 hour race in July. I didn’t taper at all and ran a 10k race on Wednesday and a hard effort Parkrun the day before.

I was disappointed to not make the podium, especially as it was Newry Marathons 10th year and there were some nice commemorative prizes. However, I never thought I would run anywhere near that time with just 3 weeks training, after a layoff and considerable weight gain! A nice negative split too. 

You daft bugger. You had a plan and didn't stick to it and then you are disappointed when the changed plan doesn't come off! If your plan was to podium you would have approached the race differently and most likely succeeded. 

For the 24 hour race in July, things won't be any easier. There will be even more options open and you will need to sort out what your targets are. What are your targets for the race? I think I am right in saying it will be your first 24-hour race so I have to guess that the first aim is to complete more than 100 miles (almost 161 km) in 24 hours. The race also has age-group prizes, are you targeting one of those and if so who are you up against and what do you need to do to win one?

As an example, Steven Holyoak (http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=144130) seems to be a capable V50 ultrarunner and he tops 250 km in 24 hours. 

There is a big difference between 160 and 250 km. Some friends who have done 24-hour races have exceeded 100 miles but have had a planned break (or breaks) to split the run up. You may find that someone who is way ahead of has a planned break or vice-versa, you may plan a break and have someone who is running through pass you. 

So, good run at Newry Marathon but sort out a plan for the 24-hour race and stick to it. The plan doesn't have to be one rigid option, it can have branches, but stick to it.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - only joking. It must be really frustrating and not that funny at all. I'm hoping that I can get a decent marathon time before I start slowing down. As I didn't start serious training until I was about 43, it might just be possible.
    MsE - nice view.
    Poacher - a rematch sounds good (as long as it doesn't include cycling!) If you like Thetford, there's always the Thetford Iceni marathon in September.
    GM - nice photo of you with the future champion sprinter!
    OO - hope your daughter is okay.
    Leslie - take care now - not long to go!
    Badbark - mightily impressive despite not sticking to the plan!
    Lorenzo - a worthy cause, indeed. Nicely ticking over.
    Well, the unthinkable happened yesterday. I woke up, heard torrential rain and decided that I couldn't be bothered to get up and go for a run! This was followed by a very long day gardening (rain didn't seem to make any difference to the clay!) Normal service resumed today, with 11 slow miles. Phew.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good for you Gul nice to break habits sometimes.

Brilliant run Badbark, I think your plan was OK but you were enticed to change once you knew how good you felt. 

My daughter is ok and will return to work tomorrow on light duties. Not sure if it will knock her confidence, hopefully not for long.

Just walking here- very dull. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some good pictures on here since the new look came about.

Great view MsE, enjoy the break.

Double trouble for OO Snr and Jnr. Hope all heal quickly

Superb running from Badbark. Chapeau!

Job lot on the shades there, GM?  Great pic of a pair of cool dudes! B)

Bold move on the job front, Lorenzo. Really hope you find what you're looking for soon.
    We must catch up on Sunday, I'll look out for you at the finish.

Busy weekend socialising for me but got a bit of running in. 
    Had Friday off to watch the BMW PGA golf at Wentworth, a superb day in the sun. Wore the GPS which measured steps at ell over 11 miles, so rounded it down to 11 for stats.

Up for parkrun on Saturday. Ran 2.4 miles there and back and was sweating buckets, it was a muggy one.

My inability to run a decent time in the heat came back, coupled with a tricky multi-terrain 3 lap course. There are a couple of tight turns and a narrow bridge which cause bottlenecks when lapping other runners. Garmin stats show I got PRs in the off-road sections, so no excuses, I was crap on the tarmac areas where I should have been making up time.

Anyway, scored 20.09, finished 20th out of 363 and 2nd in age group. I might have another crack at the sub-20 there this week but without the run there and back. It will be a nice sharpener for the Dorking 10 mile on Sunday.