Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that slokey, sounds like you have plenty of other options but I'm sure running will be a real miss.
    Yes I was thinking of the sit on type Poacher- ideally for 2, and for use on sea and lakes. I'll start researching....
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Slokey - great speed on the bike ,enjoy setting fire to the nikes ! Rehab is going ok won't know till I run really but don't expect I will make much progress for a while.
    PMJ meet halfway and do a 23 miler ?
    Gul nice bit of landscaping  ,I will be starting back very soon now certainly this week .
    0054 mad all night parties in Ibiza ? who would have guessed !
    Lorenzo great to see numbers like 5:30's !

had to wait as both x trainers were taken this morn at 7am after nightshift, have people no beds to stay in ? lol as I needed mine 
    Physio tomorrow and then back to running (I hope) time's a wastin' !!!

• Is that a baby cormorant?  That's not what attacked me last week - I'll have to re-consult the rspb bird finder!!!

I think it might've been an eagle 

or a pterodactyl.........
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    SJ - the adult cormorant looks the same except black all over.  Could you have been done over by an osprey???? Very intriguing. They are big creatures and totally focussed on fishing.

OO good call, SOTs are comfy for us tall chaps. Basic models will be on display at Decathlon. The devil is in the detail though - need to read reviews re tracking characteristics etc. And look out for little things like comfort and strength of seat - grab handles - space for gear/hooks for bungee cords etc etc. See you on Derwentwater.

5m tonight. Slow  :(
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg – Sounds like you had a cracking time and still managed to get some quality running in too.

Gul – Excellent training during the holidays, impressive 10 miler in there. Your efforts in the garden look very rewarding. Really nice work there, it looks lovely.

OO – Shame about the drunken revellers but it doesn’t sound like it spoiled your holiday. Was it nice and hot? It's looking like mid 30's for where I'll be. Will get a few sans vest runs in and hopefully barefoot beach runs too.

Lorenzo – Your holiday sounds Epic! Have fun!

Leslie – Fingers crossed for your return soon.                     

Poacher – I’m loving all this talk about kayaks and the wildlife. I am going to get myself one too but will wait until next year. The sea around where I live is perfect for it, with amazing high/low tides and lovely bays and caves to explore.

Lovely 7 mile recovery run tonight, felt so warm which makes a pleasant change after 2/3 weeks of really average temps. This weather has been getting on my nerves of late and am looking forward to some proper heat.  Have put my name down for a 5k road race tomorrow night. It’s been a while since I’ve raced one and I’ve no idea what to expect. Could be interesting……

[GM1]ilr

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yeh GM, the CI must be great for sea kayaks which are the most sleek and beautiful things on the water, such a joy to paddle. Or sit there in silence watching seals or gannets go by. Go for it, but stay safe.  Enjoy the race. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Cheers. I'll be careful, quite a few of my friends are experienced kayakers and I'll be taking notes from them. Plenty of marine life about, lots of dolphins and the odd puffin if you're lucky enough to see them. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - hope you get the all clear from the fizz today!
    GM - all the best for the road race.
    5 easy miles this morning. Packing bag to take and leave at work tonight ready for the double commute run tomorrow.
  • Gul, is that the 17 miles each way commute or the shorter, newer one?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - still in Swaffham at the moment, so that's 17 or 18 miles depending on the route. I can't decide whether to head to Bawsey via Sandy Lane and Bawsey Ruins rather than Gayton Rd.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.  I was World Champing as well, and loved it.  Unfortunately, all the late nights seem to have been a bit much for me and I now have man flu (I was staying in Reading with my family, and the train service isn't great, so it was rare for me to be home before midnight: I shouldn't have been so tight, and should have forked out for a hotel for the duration...).  Still, man flu is for a week and fantastic athletics memories last a lifetime, or something!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Gerard you go smash it tonight 
    Gul that's going to be a tough one tomorrow alright .
    Jools get well soon,worth it for the athletics for sure.
    Badbark must be nice to get on the podium again !
    At the physio and although my leg is sorer than it has been today for some reason got cleared for 3x 20 min runs after it settles a bit again and see how it goes  and some resistance band stretches to do .
    2 mile walk in the meantime.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Jools - Hope you get well soon.

Leslie - That's positive news!

5k tonight in almost perfect conditions, really warm but will a light headwind going out and it felt very pleasant coming back. With only one proper speed session in the locker since April I wasn't confident of challenging my pb (18:36). Ran with a nice group of 3 other runners for the 1st 2 miles and got dropped by 2 with about 1 mile to go. Hung on though and managed to over take one of them in the last 200m or so to finish in 18:55. The splits were fairly even, 6:09/6:05/6:09 and 33 seconds for the last .1. Was pleasing that I had a strong finish, managed 5:17mm for the last .1 so had a bit in reserve. Off to Mallorca tomorrow and will address the speed or rather lack of it and hopefully a few more weeks of decent mileage as well and I will give 18:30 a crack. Will have wifi there so hopefully will be able to keep tabs on my favourite bunch of runners. Keep at it folks! 

• Gul Darr said:
    PMJ - still in Swaffham at the moment, so that's 17 or 18 miles depending on the route. I can't decide whether to head to Bawsey via Sandy Lane and Bawsey Ruins rather than Gayton Rd.
    Do it via the ruins one way and Gayton Road the other. Make the darker run via the ruins. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - recovery quickly from the man flu!
    Leslie - slow but sure progress.
    GM - excellent 5k - you should be really pleased with that.
    PMJ - probably not a lot of difference in the light at those times! I went along Gayton Rd this morning (set out at 5:55am).
    So breakfast at work is nice (1st course is banana, honey and sultana porridge). 17.01 miles in 2:14:39. Should have been a bit slower than that, so will no doubt pay for it on the return leg this evening!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Am I correct in reading you are doing 2 x 17 miles commuting run? Thanks, results are up and I got rounded down to 18:53 so slightly better and for a 74% WAVA. Yummy 1st course brekkie! :smile:
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    No time to read back as we are off to the airport soon.  As Gerard heads off to Majorca, the MsEttes and MsEsq are being whisked off by us to Club Med in Turkey.  Hope to stay in touch while there and have a catch up (in between classes and hanging from the trapeze!)  I think I spotted Jools is poorly  - so GET WELL SOON! and Leslie is running again - HURRAY!  Hugs and kisses to the rest of you  ;)  (oh alright, fish bump really but feeling on top of the world as you do when about to head off on holiday).
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    happy hols, MsE - unsure about a fish bump - think i'll stick to the hugs n kisses ;)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - yes, that's right. A 17 mile return leg lined up for after work. Impressive WAVA!
    MsE - Enjoy your holiday. What's this about a trapeze?!
    Birch - maybe it's like the Monty Python fish slapping dance?
    PMJ - if I have this correct, your trail mara is a week on Sunday. So have you decided whether to do a 20 miler this weekend? I would tempted to save your legs. BTW Mrs GD is setting off from home at 7:30pm to take Miss GD the younger to her piano lesson, so I have to try and get home before then. Therefore the Bawsey Ruins route (at least a mile longer) is probably out.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Enjoying a mini carb-load at work today. Bread and honey to follow the porridge. Then malt-loaf and croissant mid-morning snack. Now onto tuna and sweetcorn pittas. Might be too podged to eat the tin of mackerel :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Oh and another thing, Poacher, Mrs GD planted two evergreen clematis by the trellis. What would you recommend to plant with them? Preferably something else that won't need lots of pruning and like full sun and clay soil!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Home in 2:11:58. Faded a little bit over the last 4 miles, but still 2-3 minutes faster than this morning.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    MSE holidays again ? you have the life of it !
    GUL fair play that's an epic double run !
  • Great double Gul. Negative split too!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Cracking effort Gul, and even better snacking!

Very good 5k Gerard- I'm impressed.

Jools- man up!

I'm not running well at the mo though the weight is coming off slowly. Parkrun this weekend could be a challenge but a good indicator of where I'm at. 3.5 weeks to go until the Great North Run- I'm still hopeful that 1:23:XX is possible. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Great commuting Gul. You are a legend. I will talk to MrsP about plants, she's the expert.

XT again today, kayaking on Windermere. Big neoprene chapeau to SJ and anyone who swims there, it's a big bit of water with swell caused by wind and the wake from big boats. Saw cormorants geese swans duck etc but they didn't attack.  :) Perhaps due to those manky feet

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - I'm sure 83 mins will be in your sights once you've shed a few more pounds!
    Poacher - lovely view while you're kayaking.
    Legs felt okay yesterday, but definitely needed a good sleep so a rest day. 5 mile recovery run this morning and aching calves soon settled down. Pleased that my average pace over the 34 miles would have given me a 5 min mara PB (just need to find a way of having an hour 8 rest after 17 miles!)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's the maddest double I've ever seen, Gul! Great work, Sir!

OO, I reckon you'll focus on 83 and smash it!

Great picture there, Poacher. Had a crazy week at work and could do with being there on the lake myself...followed by pub action.

Hope Jools is over the man-flu. Welcome to our world!!  ;)

Only 2 runs so far this week as work has been manic and my body needed an extra rest day.
    Got a good 8 miler in on Wednesday on a bumpy route where I was able to attack the bumps. Felt the benefit of 2 days off and managed 6.43 pace.

Last night I went on 10 miler with a mate. He had man-flu and had to bail after 5 miles, so I carried on and ran steady but it was a healthy negative split. 7.12 pace with an eye on keeping things under control as there's a 21 miler on the trails planned for tomorrow.

Have a good weekend, all. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I’ve been in lurk mode recently but can report that training has been going well. I’ve managed to pick up 3 age group prizes and a 1st overall in a 10k over the last 4 weekends. Tomorrow I have this challenging HM race - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/13292168

Keep up the great running/biking/kayaking everyone! :smiley:

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Lurking here also - lots of continuing impressive training (multi-sports as well as running), but can't let Gul's double pass without comment - you seemed quite sane when I met you the other year !!  

thinking of starting to post on one of the VoGit threads, as ongoing issues with dramatic falloff in performance over last couple of years more suitable there than on a marathon runners thread, I guess . . . . 

still, 10 this morning was ok , albeit slow, to follow up 13 with my daughter on Thurs