Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-Dawg: was that a 5 mile progressive rather than a 5 mile recovery?  If recovery pace is 6.14 you've come on in leaps and bounds ;)

5 miles home (net uphill) @ 8.55m/m last night and 5 miles back to work (net downhill) @ 8.20m/m this morning.  Legs feel pretty ok after the 10km, which is pleasing.
  • Badbark 24m commute and a casual sub 3 mara for the weekend, its tough at the top !
    Gerard yes christchurch is the one , Dublin is a bit of a trek for me (about 4 hrs) so not surprised you have not been over the border,nothing to see up 'ere anyway lol ! Living on the border though I do nip over regular enough.
    Gdawg great pace on your 5 miler not surprised you were having to work at 6:15 pace though.
    Poacher sure you are cycling 100's of mile though ! and why stop at 100 mara's ,have you no ambition man ?
     5m easy last night leg a little bit niggly today again ...ho hum ..

• Ha! What an idiot!! Yes, that should have been 5 mile progression last night. That last mile obviously affected me more than I thought!  :D
  • Leslie - Great location and not far from where I am from originally. One recommendation for you if you have time is to go to Elephant and Castle restaurant in Temple Bar. It's a very cool place, not overly expensive but the food is amazing. The chicken wings are historic! A great place to soak up the vibe up the city and watch the world go by.  Here's the link to it. http://www.elephantandcastle.ie/

G-Dawg - You need to race a 10k!

Jools - That's good news re feeling good post 10k.

Off out on my lunch run shortly in the wind and rain. Should be fun. :

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO - another fine parkrun . . . . will you be parkrunning here again 

Jools - nice 10K - heading back in the right direction  . . .

Gerard - 3:15 for 22.5 in such conditions is a real marker - and I expect the route profile/terrain was tricky as well ?   I like the clothes cull - something I should do - also need to buy a suit as I'm a wedding guest in less than 3 weeks, but I hate clothes shopping . . . . .  hope your lunch run goes well - chucking it down here as well . . . .

Badbark - great miles, and also super 10K to follow 

MsE - not taken you long to get back to an hour - nicely done  . . .

Leslie - was thinking 54 days not too much time to prepare, then I remembered Poacher's preparations  . . . . 

Gul - 16 is a brilliant start to the week  . . . 

Poacher - shame for P#2 -  do you intend Comrades 2018?  

G-Dawg - splendid 21 miler  . . . .  

not run since Sat here - I'd like to say was being cautious, but being brutally honest, its more CNBA (aka weakness) . Must get a grip  . . . . .

• Sunday and the "accidental marathon" is getting very close and real. Got a text description of the route today so need to convert that to a GPX and upload it to the Garmin and hope I have enough battery life to get around. Also, need to plan some sort of easy start to the week so legs are well rested. Hard with parkrun on Saturday but may go out to Tring and hang about afterwards to watch the Tour of Britain., or maybe Bicester and then Brill Hill for the KOM.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Leslie - back up to 40 last week!  Do you think you will get the volume in for the marathon?

Very nice MLR, Gul.

BB - your diet is very similar to mine, except I don't eat meat or dairy and try and avoid gluten.  Um, so maybe not that similar.

Clothes cull sounds very mentally refreshing, Gerard.  Now the kids are back at school I need a whole house cull.  A skip would help.

Of course you must do the 100, Poacher.  Especially if you have to run o beaches like that.

GD - I have never heard of a recovery run that involves getting quicker!  Maybe this is why I feel compelled to tell you off all the time. We are talking a different language.  If you do the Pilgrim, let us know and I can position myself on the course to cheer you on.

Jools - getting fitter.

Birch - keep on keeping on!  I think your body likes it.

PMJ - very amused by your accidental marathon plans.  What's the race plan?

45 mins hilly trails with the dogs today. It's a recovery week and only 30-40 was scheduled but I couldn't stop midway up the big hill which took me from the Powder Mills in Chilworth to the top of St Martha's Hill
  • PMJ won't be the battery life you have to worry about lol ,not long now .
    MSE In answer to your earlier question about getting race fit ,I won't have the time now ,nor will I have time to get decent volume in either so at the minute getting to the start capable of going 26.2 at any pace is my plan A ..all subject to change lol !
  • GD - have you done the Pilgrim before?  Quite demanding as I recall, esp. climbing on loose sandy slopes. That would be an LSR with brass knobs on.  But an attractive and varied course.

Birch - no to Comrades, I think those days are over. Still the best race though.

OO - too fast. Please slow down.

MsE - your TOTF is building up - excellent stuff.

I actually went for a run today. 3 miles. That's the accidental mara training plan d&d. Also accidentally entered Portsmouth which is a fun day out in Christmas week and an incentive to train a bit as cycling becomes unpleasant in winter weather. Two cyclists have been killed in nearby Manchester in the last week or so.  It's just so so**ing dangerous out there due to poor road design but mainly thanks to a minority of appalling car drivers.
  • GD - yes, that would be some recovery run!
    Jools - nice recovery following the 10k.
    Leslie - hope the niggle has gone.
    GM - didn't think you had wind and rain in the Channel Island tropics ;)
    Birch - well a bit of a rest won't do any harm.
    PMJ - all the best for Sunday.
    MsE - at first I thought you meant a 30-40 mile recovery week! Sounds like you're really enjoying those trail runs.
    Poacher - you are a glutton for punishment. Now don't go overtraining in the next couple of days!
    12 miles this morning with 2 x 3M @ HMP averaging 6:35 and 6:33 m/m.
  • MsE said:

PMJ - very amused by your accidental marathon plans.  What's the race plan?

It's not a race. The route has a 20-mile option and a 26.2 one, so the same until 15 miles, then a 6.2 mile loop, then 5 back. The plan is to do the 15 (which is easy), see how it feels, then do the other 11.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    In the middle of a mad week. Out with chums after my run on Monday, work is manic, wedding anniversary yesterday, wife's birthday today, Manchester all day tomorrow, cricket at Lord's on Friday. Squeezing runs in is difficult. Writing this now on the train to Manchester, so unable to attend wife's birthday family meal at home.

Still, I did manage to leave work early, get home and get a 10 miler in before heading to the station. I must have been in a rush as the average was 6.42 pace with the slowest at 6.49 and quickest (final mile) at 6.22. Felt strong on that run, especially in the early miles. Yesterday's rest day seem to do the trick.

Possibly unable to run until Saturday or Sunday now. Need to decide if the Farnham Pilgrim marathon is a good idea for the weekly LSR? Would do it as a run/walk if I did. Hmmm...
  • Poacher - Yes, there are some lunatics on the road. I have been cycling to and from work for a few months now and you have to be totally switched on. Some buffon walked right across the road today between passing traffic and didn't even see me coming. I had to jam on the brakes and I said "Jeeze, that was close" and he gave me such a look of contempt. IDIOT! 

Gul  -  As it transpired I forgot my running top and shorts, never done that before! I went for a walk along the promenade instead, which is not something I have ever done in now 7 years of running but I quite enjoyed it. It actually didn't rain and it was about 22c. :) It was interesting seeing lots of runners go past and from a totally different perspective. Nice running again from you especially after your 16 yesterday.

PMJ - Remind me what's your longest run "time on feet" that you've done recently?

G-Dawg - 10 miles at 6:42 is going some. 

Birch - Thanks. The 22.5 was all about time on feet and I wasn't fussed about the pace at all. It was a mix of 14.5 on the road and 8 on the trail path with a gradual incline for about 4 miles of that. That part was nice and sheltered and I didn't mind the climb at all. Hopefully you'll overcome the CNBA fairies and will be back on it tomorrow, that is if you didn't get out today? 

7k @ MP lunch run for me along the prom today. Strong headwind on the way out and I ignored the watch and ran to feel so that was about 7:30mm and then coming back it was the exact opposite, really warm and could feel the wind behind me, so back in around 7mm pace or thereabouts. Didn't feel hard or easy so probably about right. Will probably so another 7k tomorrow but at a much easier pace. 

• Hi there folks - I was lurking while on hols but still haven't become sufficiently adept at typing lots on my phone hence no posting.

Suffice to say we had a brilliant time with a combination of white water rafting on the Colorado, the "joys" of Las Vegas, an interesting overnight stop in Salt Lake City, close encounters with geothermal activity and wildlife (bears, bison and moose to name a few) in Yellowstone and finished off with my first ever trip to a baseball match in Seattle. Mrs L has said that I'm not allowed to start thinking about next year's trip, but I just can't help myself. :)

I managed a fair amount of exercise (resulting in no weight gain despite the size of America portions) through the rafting and hiking although running was restricted to 5 runs (in 4 different states), the longest of which was just 8.5 miles. Still, location made up for quantity as I managed to run along the south rim of the Grand Canyon to catch the sunrise as well as a couple of runs with younger Lorenzito in the national parks.

Great to see that others have had a far more running-focused summer than me - cracking parkruns from OO, consistently good training from G-Dawg, the usual lunacy from Madbark, another top quality marathon campaign underway from Poacher, insane start times from Gul, envy-enducing run-swim combos from GM and best of all, the news that MsE is making good progress.

So back now in Blighty and have reminded myself what running in the rain is all about - 13.5 trail run on Monday, 7 mile club run yesterday and a 4.5 mile easy run this morning. My Hebridean run is in less than 2 weeks so need to start getting used to running on consecutive days again.
  • PMJ - why not do 15, 6.2 loop and then 15 rather than 5 back for an accidental ultra ;)
    GD - a mental week indeed and a fast 10 miler. I'm sure you'll want to make the most of Sunday and do the mara!
    GM - are your lunchbreaks getting longer or are you getting faster with 7k instead of 5k runs?! The 16 miler was on Monday and I did a 5 mile recovery run on Tuesday.
    Lorenzo - welcome back - great holiday! Running in the Hebrides will be amazing.
    Another 5 mile plod today.

• GerardM said:

PMJ - Remind me what's your longest run "time on feet" that you've done recently?

A couple of 2 hour runs, loads of 1:5x. I reckon I will take about 4 hours on Sunday.

Gul Darr said:
    PMJ - why not do 15, 6.2 loop and then 15 rather than 5 back for an accidental ultra ;)

There is accidental and there is accidental ...
  • Gul - Ah yes of course you did, my eye must have slipped. : My lunch break is 1hr15 but I rarely take that so it's quite flexible but you're right I only normally do 5k. Not many opportunities to run this week so I want to do as much as I can.

Lorenzo - Welcome back and it sounds like you had an amazing holiday.

• Poacher be careful out on the road especially with the evenings getting darker now .
    Gul that's great hmp you are going well again.
    Gdawg you will surprise yourself in the mara given current form.
    Gerard decent bit of mp there .
    Lorenzo sounds like you had a great time.

16m cranked out this morning ,struggling at the end and pace dropped of to a 9:52 last mile, average 8:59 m/mile  which was ok it's all about getting the distance now.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Leslie - you are a brave man to still go for it.  Best of luck with the weeks left to get there.

Poacher - stay safe on your bike.  I couldn't agree more it is such a hazard often down to the other road users.  Do you have a turbo trainer for winter training?

Excellent pace in your 12 miler, Gul.  Are you sure HMRP isn't quicker now?

Very quick 10 miler, GD.  Was a tempo run in the schedule?  How was the knee/hamstring during/after?

Nice pace practice, Gerard.  When I am working out pace, I often gauge how it all feels when cruising at the different speeds so I know in my mind how it all feels. I am sure engaging with a conscious awareness in training helps with the unconscious pacing effort in racing.  But then again MrE calls me a hippy.

Welcome back, Lorenzo!  Sounds like you had an amazing holiday.  Glad you managed to fit in some memorable runs.  I want to do the rim to rim Canyon run one day.

An easy trot for me around the hilly trails in the woods with the dogs for 40 mins followed by core work. I covered 5 miles today!  Paces naturally quickening as I get fitter which is nice to see. But am keen to focus on form to avoid niggles so am consciously holding back. Cadence is a bit slow on the trails (especially downhill) because of my wariness of rolling the ankle. I hope I will learn to trust in my ankles over time and stop hesitating.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    back in business - 14 on the trail/towpath with my daughter and my friend today. hamstring tightened last couple of miles.

2 x "1,000" milestones reached - now on 1001 for the year (bit late, but made it at last), and Asics Cumulus now have 1009 on the clock, so may retire them now, although they don't feel too bad  . . .   
  • PMJ  - Will be a very long run for you then. It will be nice just to run it for the enjoyment, I hope the weather is good for it, that helps! 

MsE  - Haha, what does MrE know huh? I equate running to be the perfect blend of science and spirituality (the two don't usually go hand in hand), so I totally get what you are saying. I guess it will take a while for you to get your confidence back but you're doing all the right things so it will happen. 

Leslie - Well done on that getting that run done. Great time on your feet. How are you feeling generally, is the body ok?

Birch - No messing around hey? 14 trail miles, nice one and in great company too. 

Lovely 6k lunch run (7:52mm) along the prom again today with a pal and when an opportunity presents itself you have to be ready to go! 15k coastal cliff-path trail run for me tonight out on the wild west coast. Gnarly weather but lovely sea spray to keep the skin nice and cool. That was one of those runs when you just lock into that flow, and bury yourself in your movement and think positive thoughts. Even managed to power up a very steep hill that usually leaves me in bits, not today, felt good but also managed to keep a lid on the pace (7:58mm) I've decided to have a rest day tomorrow and may forego my planned MP run on Sunday just to be king to my body and let the niggles sort themselves. I've been here a few times, felt very run fit 4-5 weeks from a marathon only for my body to capitulate. That cannot happen again. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hurray, Birch!  Sensible thinking, Gerard.  Good to trust your gut instinct.

Hey, we need to incorporate dancing into our training guys.  Something about holding off the cognitive decline in old age:  http://neurosciencenews.com/dancing-brain-aging-7377/?hootPostID=04d71c92d1594cbf51727cbf8c3898e7
  • MsE, my wife does a lot of contemporary dancing and is way more flexible than I. I can manage cross country dancing (ceilidh) but that is my limit. Two left feet and two left arms!

This is daughter #1 on Great British Bake Off, An Extra Slice yesterday. She was also 100m and 200m county champion, don't know where she gets all those skills from ;-)

• Leslie - well done on toughing out that 16 miler.
    MsE - 5 miles - excellent! I've no idea what my actual HMRP would be now (only one way to find out!); I was just aiming for somewhere around my HM PB pace.
    Birch - good to hear you hit the road (or towpath) again yesterday to bring up 1,000 miles. I am finding that my Aldi shoes purchased  in the last year or two are disintegrating well before 1,000 miles now. Might just hit 800 miles with my oldest pair, but really they are overdue for the bin.
    GM - sensible move to have a rest. Lovely coastal run.
    PMJ - nearly watched that last night but instead saw a programme about an 11 year old musical prodigy - will have to watch that clip with the sound on later.
    Too dark this morning for sprints up the only hill in the area, so did some short sprints on a railway bridge. 8 easy miles in total.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wow that's impressive PMJ, talented girl. Must have taken ages.
    I've been in Paris all week with work. Welcome back Lorenzo I saw your efforts on Strava.
    Nice to hear you are a Peckham lad G Dawg.I hale from East London but with a daughter in Greenwich I mainly run the local parkruns when I visit her.
    A few long steady runs this week. Resting today before a gentle parkrun plod tomorrow and then GNR. 1:23 is the target.

• Poacher – Yep, get running – forget biking in the winter

GD – Well done on squeezing in the runs. A very quick run too! Marathons are perfect LSR’s in my opinion – but you all call me mad

Lorenzo – Welcome back – you holiday looked amazing – Good running since your return

Leslie- Good mileage banked with plenty of time on feet

MsE – It’s great to read your mileage is progressing. You’re getting there

Birch – Good to read your back running well again despite the hamstring tightening. I don’t retire any shoe’s until at least 2000 miles, or they fall apart

GM – That sounds like a great run. Well done on taking a day off – I wish I had your will power to rest :)

PMJ – Very impressive from your Daughter!

Gul – You need a good head torch for your dark sprints

OO – All the very best for GNR

Training has gone well this week with my 12/12 commute on Tuesday, a few 10 miles easy runs and a good interval session on Thursday. I ran 13 miles including 6 x 1 mile intervals, hitting my target of 5:47 m/m average for the intervals.

Tomorrow I have a marathon which I’m going to run to feel. I’m not going to look at my Garmin and just run steady throughout. It’s a flat course so less damaging, and I even have a rest day planned on Sunday. I think I’ll deserve a rest day after running 295 miles in 20 days. :)

On Sunday I'm abseiling from the top of the Europa Hotel in Belfast for charity. Gulp!

• Don't die BB!!!!!

Great pics Lorenzo - sounds like a brill holiday :)

Loving the cake action PMJ - good luck with the accidental marathon

Poacher - don't stop now! 

Had a crazy couple of weeks with race and hols in Canada, long trip back (including driving from Heathrow to Cumbria whilst already tired), back  at work for three days with jet lag and now out to Holland for the next race.

Need another holiday!

Long distance tri European Champs - bike racked, it is wet and windy. I'm looking forward to the swim bike bits but really kinda dreading the run - it is going to be messy.

The fun starts at 7:30am local time.  God knows how long it will last for....

if I can run for at least half of the marathon I'll take that as a rip-roaring success

• Great cake PMJ - very talented offspring

Good luck with the tri SJ -hope the weather isn't too unkind

MsE - you obviously haven't seen me dance or you wouldn't be suggesting that! What's the route for the Rim to Rim - when we came up from the river we came up the Bright Angel Trail which is about 7 miles with a mile of vertical climb. Wouldn't fancy running that!

Abseiling from the top of the Europa Hotel the day after running a marathon eh Madbark? I expect nothing less from you!!

Rest day for me today after a double yesterday of 8 miles in the morning and a short interval session (6 x 300m) in the evening. Average time of 60s for each of the 300s so haven't lost all the speed over the summer. Planning a long one tomorrow and taking the opportunity to test out running with the pack I'll be using in a couple of weeks' time.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Your daughter is soooooo good at baking, PMJ! MsEttes 1 & 2 are baking fiends and that is something they really aspire to.  Where does she get her fast twitch muscle fibres from?  

Looking forward to hearing the race results from BB and SJ.  Gwaaaaaaan, boys!

Best of luck tomorrow, OO.  You are on for a sub-1:23 I reckon.

Today I did some core and strength work after a TM session for my osteopath / sports massage lady who is using me as a case study for a course she is doing with The Running School. (see link, the kid Brandon is so cute running before any advice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIIcgb7L3D0. )
    It was the 4th of 6 sessions and it is so useful for me to have someone give me feedback while assessing my form while I run. I then make a mental note of the adjustment that is needed and store that for future reference.  She has me running on a 10% incline and then back down to 3% so I can store all that in my head and work on it outdoors.  It is proving to be really useful as part of my comeback and I am (so far - touch wood) niggle-free.
  • MsE said:
    Your daughter is soooooo good at baking, PMJ! MsEttes 1 & 2 are baking fiends and that is something they really aspire to.  Where does she get her fast twitch muscle fibres from?  

That is a really good question. Has to be down her mother's side. There is a very good high jumper a few generations back, https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/tu/geoffrey-turner-1.html who was 5th in the world in 1929 and handy over the hurdles as well.

She is seriously fast twitch: she has done one parkrun and that was about 30 minutes and can run 100m and be 100% obliterated. 

The baking is a mixed bag: she is good but she gets very stressed. The extra slice was great as she did what she wanted to in her own kitchen in her own time and she'd like to do the main programme but she may get way too flustered to enjoy it.