Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Your new job passed me by Lorenzo- many Congrats, and enjoy your battlefield trip if that's the right sentiment. I used to visit Normandy a lot and it's quite moving to see all those graves and memorials and the many families who still come to see where grandparents fell.

Sounds like you are a it tired Gerard- we all go through those flat periods, hopefully just a couple of days and you'll be back fighting fit.

Nice pace on your 12 miler G Dawg, sounds like you are packing it in this week.

Light week here but lots of travel- hoping I'll be sharp for Saturdays 10K track race. My legs feel OK after GNR but the prospect of 6 * sub 6 min. miles is a little daunting.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Birch - good to get a 15 miler in the bag.
    PMJ - yes, North Lynn has a bad reputation, but usually just people mouthing off and not that many assaults or actual bodily harm. Good to note the quick recovery from an over-distance run at easy pace with walking.
    Lorenzo - enjoy is certainly the wrong word to use, but I'm sure it will be a memorable time at Ypres. And running in the Hebrides will be amazing!
    GM - nice 10k. Enjoy the air display and entertaining.
    GD - impressive pace for a 12 miler with a low mojo. Smash that pyramid session today!
    I had planned an MLR this morning, but was a bit late up, so did an 8 mile progressive instead. 7:51, 6:59, 6:52, 6:47, 6:36, 6:31 and 6:24 plus one mile warm-down (8:27). Forgot to say that I retired a pair of shoes yesterday - 800 miles but should have binned them weeks ago (one shoe falling to pieces, in holes, sole come away under the toes etc...)
    OO - missed your post on the next page! Hope you're fully recovered ready for the 10k track race.

• Options

OO - Yes, I was tired. So much so I decided to switch my rest day to today and won't run until Friday evening instead. It gives my body a good 48hrs of recovery but with only one zero day. I hope you smash the 10k. Try not to think about the math too much, you are in good shape and maybe a slight negative split might be a good approach? Is it a quick course?

Gul - Thanks! Those numbers are very nice for your prog 8. You shifted a couple of gears from mile to 2 hey? Why on earth do you run when your shoes are so worn? It can't be good for your feet or any other part of your body.

Moved my rest day to today to aid recovery. Enjoyed that extra hour in bed this morning.

• Options
    OO - thanks. 6 x sub-6 min miles sounds very daunting - that's why I've never gone sub-38! All the best with the race.

Gul - impressive progression there; the Royal Straight Flush and a bit more on top. Makes sense to retire the shoes before you start barefoot running.

7.5 easy miles for me this morning as there's the club training session this evening. Will be a rest from running tomorrow as I've got a rather early start to be able to catch a 10am tour in Ypres. :o
  • Options
    Good decision Lorenzo, should be on everyone's list. Presumably you go to Menin Gate, Cloth Hall museum and Tyne Cot cemetery. Very powerful. If you get the chance the walk round the town walls is good. Also the weeping Canadian.
  • Options
    Good progressive there Gul. Any races in the near future as you look to be running well?
  • Options
    It's 25 90s laps, OO: that's much easier :)  Best of luck!

Lie-in for me, too, GM, and will do 10M very steady tonight, then some short easy runs tomorrow and Saturday.
  • Options

0054 smash that 10k , sub 6 milling would be impressive.

Gul great progression run ,must have been the new shoes .

Strengthening exercises yesterday have annoyed my hammy , 3 mile @ 9:40 average then I sacked it today lol  

• Options
    Pyramid was tough but knocked it out, every 200 had to be done in 41 secs. So, by the time we got to 1200, we were knackered! Only a couple of secs over on some reps but nailed the final 3.

Roll on the rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Rest day here too but lots of travel this week.
    25*90 is a good way to think about it Jools. Hopefully I can go a tad quicker.
    Dangerous that stretching Leslie!
  • Options

GM - the old shoes seemed to be okay, although I did get wet socks when it was raining!
    Lorenzo - barefoot running  - now there's an idea. Must have been a very early start today; hopefully you're on the tour right now. Just watch out for trombones.
    PMJ - still looking to do the Norfolk Coastal marathon on 28th Oct.
    Jools - enjoy the mini taper.
    Leslie - so much for those exercises! BTW I still haven't broken in the 2 new pairs of shoes. I have another 3 pairs which have all done around the 400 mile mark.
    GD - great effort and a well earned rest day today.
    OO - all the best with 25x<=90s.
    Recovery run today. 5 miles @ 8:38 m/m.

• Options

Gul - Have you entered the Coastal marathon yet? Is it a road one??

GD - Good sesh and enjoy the rest.

Leslie - Hope that hammy behaves itself.

I forgot I had a work thing on tonight (World street food festival) so I had to get out for a 5k on lunch instead of my planned 10k this evening. Easy pace 8:03mm. Saving some for this weekend's 50k.

• Options
    GM - 50k?! Have I missed something? And no, I still haven't entered the coastal mara yet. It's a trail marathon - following the coastal path, I presume, so a bit of a mixture of surfaces and certainly not PB territory.
    20 miler at a more sensible start time today (4:10am). 11 miles @ 8:25 m/m and 9 miles @ 7:24 m/m.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - only you could describe 4:10am as a sensible start time ;)
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     . . .   but kudos on 20 bagged :):)
  • Options
    Gerard enjoy the 50k , I thought you were doing a mara but sure it's only a little bit more !
    GUl nice 20m at a crazy start time but needs must .

10m this morn and a very pressing need for the rest room ensured a stronger second half 8:20 average which is as fast as Ive gone in some time now .
  • Options
    Gul - Nice 20. 4:10am though, that's insane! :smiley: I'm doing 50k over the course of the weekend, sorry I should have made that more clear. 14 today and 36 tomorrow. 

Leslie - Nice progress and lol no, I'm not doing 50k in one run. I doubt I'll ever do that but hey you never know. 

14k this morning with a pal and ran up the hilly section of the marathon course. Sunny when we set out but cool, then it poured rain for the whole duration, we got absolutely soaked. Lovely run though. The pace was easy about 8:30mm average and my legs are feeling much better after 42 hours rest. Should feel fresh for tomorrow's LSR. Hoping for better weather though. 
  • Options
    That's a decent combined mileage for the weekend GM - shame about the weather but sometimes running in the rain makes for the best runs!

Gul - bonkers start time but impressive run nevertheless.

How did the track race go OO?

Poacher - couldn't agree more. The tour was a minibus tour (with an exceptionally knowledgeable guide / driver) in which we went to a number of cemeteries including Tyne Cot and the big German one (can't remember the name) as well as seeing the site of the Battle of Passchendale and the trenches at Boezinge. After we got back I had a bite to eat and then went round the museum in the Cloth Hall (definitely worth going to, although the museum lacked a bit of structure (in terms of the way the exhibits were set out, rather than the fact that it was missing a wall!) before heading to the Menin Gate for the ceremony in the evening.

Overall a very moving day when you consider the numbers of casualties on both sides and put things in the context of the conflicts today.

No running for me today, but decided to head out for 40 minutes on the bike this morning - there's a local trail/XC race tomorrow that I'll treat as a easyish run rather than going flat out.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Things went well Lorenzo- I ran 36:45 in windy condition. Had my usual steady start and was back in 10th in a field of 14 after the first lap. One of my main rivals dropped out quite early and after that I picked my way through the rest of the field getting faster with each mile. The last mile was the slowest but by then I was comfortably in second place and was trying to just to keep a steady ship. Garmin says I ran 6.3 miles with an average pace of 5:47 per mile (or 1:28.2 per lap). Miles 4 and 5 were the fastest at 5:45 pace. 

So I finished 2nd in the national BMAF race which sadly I had not entered by mistake (and so no shiny medal). But I got a medal as 1st North East V50. All in all a good run and a boost after a disappointing GNR last week. It just shows I'm better at the shorter stuff.

Glad you are feeling better Gerard!     

• Options
    Good running from Gul and OO. Gul, as I am up at 5:30 and it is dark then that 20 must be done almost entirely in the dark. Headtorch?

Say this picture and thought it had to be posted here.

• Options
    Lorenzo - Sounds very moving indeed. Enjoy your jaunt tomorrow. 

OO - Sub 37! Awesome running!! Thanks, will see what tomorrow brings. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Had to show that my veggie daughters PMJ, class...
  • Options
    Birch - I only said it was a more sensible time ;)
    Leslie - unusual way to increase your pace!
    GM - enjoy your long run today. Hope it's dry - finally to seems to have stopped raining here.
    Lorenzo - enjoy the XC/trail race/run today.
    OO - great stuff - that's an excellent effort and result.
    PMJ - that's a severe case of jaundice you've got in your right foot. No headtorch, just try and stick to paths with street lighting. And yesterday I finished about 30 mins later than I usually do during the week!
    5 mile recovery run d&d to bring up 62 for the week.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    And here's a shot of the action- me at the front
  • Options
    0054 that's a fantastic time and you look like you're just out for an easy jog in the pic above .Clearly shorter races are the way to go now .
    PMJ the one on the right looks the least manky foot pic  posted yet .
    GUL decent mileage for the week.
    Felt a bit unwell all day yesterday after my run so will take a rest day today so a measly 19m for the week !
  • Options
    OO - Cruising!!! Great pic and you look like your a ringer in that age category, very youthful looking chap so you are! 

Gul - Nice week there! Yes, glad the rain has subsided for now anyway. 

Leslie - That sucks. Hope you feel better tomorrow. 

So after a poor night's sleep the heavens opened up at 5am and didn't stop until about 6:30. I was thinking.....oh well I've done nearly all my LSR's in filthy weather so what's new. Drove down to meet a pal of mine at 7am and the weather cleared just in time for our start. My pal is doing jersey and has never run further than 16 miles. He's a triathlete and a decent runner, so he was in for 20 miles with me today. We did a stunning 8 miles along the east coast in some of the best weather I've run in Jersey in a long time. No wind whatsoever, beautiful sunshine but not hot and then we hit the hilly off road section for 4 miles, we came back the same way and kept a nice easy pace around 8mm average. We said our goodbyes and I decided to add an extra 2.5 miles, quickly downed another gel and wanted to hit some MP miles. It felt good and I didn't feel tired at all, came out at 7:12mm average to top off a very worthwhile jaunt. Weekly stats as below. Biggest week ever for me and after feeling like a mental and physical wreck mid-week I'm happy to say it was all very straight forward in the end. Shifting my rest day to Thursday instead of Friday and having 42 hrs of rest seemed to work for me. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday folks. 

KM Miles 
    Mon lunch 5.22 3.24
    Mon PM 16.10 10.01
    Tuesday AM 11.00 6.84
    Tuesday PM 10.00 6.22
    Wednesday AM 10.30 6.40
    Wednesday PM 10.14 6.30
    Thursday PM      Rest
    Friday lunch 5.00 3.11
    Saturday AM 13.60 8.45
    Sunday AM 36.10 22.44
    Totals  117.46 73.00
  • Options

This is just a flying visit before I head out for some well earn lunch and drinks.

I ran over 23 miles today including the Belfast HM after a 6 mile warmup. By the time I had completed the HM I had clocked 100 miles for the week. By the time I finished my warm down I had clocked 400 miles in 4 weeks.

The HM was a flat course with perfect conditions, so I gave it everything. I’m well pleased to have managed about 1:20:20 considering I didn’t taper and the high mileage recently. That’s only 25 seconds outside my PB and will register on ‘Power of 10’ as a PB due to being an officially measured course. I’m still a little disappointed to not break 80 minutes as I was track throughout on my Garmin, but it measured the course 13.18.

Now it’s taper time before the Chester Marathon in 3 weeks.

• Options
    Nice mileage, GM.

Fantastic 10k, OO. Glad you were able to put the doubts to one side and run a smart race.

Well done on the half, BB.

A more sedate time for me at the Bristol Half: 1.27.55, I think, so a mere 6 minutes slower than my time 3 years ago...  It's humbling stuff, clawing fitness back!  I'll get there in time!
  • Options
    Jools - Well run and very close to where you thought you might be. Making progress I'd say. :smile:

Badbark - Super mileage from you again and a fab HM. I think you would smash 80 with a taper. 
  • Options
    Great time OO - sub-37 in windy conditions is very impressive. The start of a career on the track?!

Another fab performance from you as well Badbark - 1:20 and change on the back of a 100 mile week / 400 mile month is going some. Have you ever thought about a mini-taper before a race?

Big week from you there GM - are you planning to sustain that mileage? Sounds like it was a great run today.

Glad to hear you're getting back into shape Jools - when's your next marathon?

Enjoyable local trail/XC race today - just over 5 miles with plenty of hills but no mud so trail shoes were the order of the day. Set off steadily and tried to pick off runners in the second half of the race. No idea where I finished but seemed to be OK and managed to get into one of the scoring slots for the club. Unsurprisingly younger Lorenzito was first scorer and probably finished about 5 mins ahead of me.

Early start tomorrow for flight up to Stornoway via Glasgow - will see how I'm feeling when I arrive before deciding whether to do the direct route (18 miles) or round the coast road (32 miles) to the first overnight stop. I suspect I'll do the former as I've got a 40 mile day planned for Tuesday. At least the weather is looking OK at the moment.