Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great miles, Gerard
    super racing, OO  
    nice week, Gul
    nice race outings Jools, BBark
    good luck, Lorenzo 

apologies for brevity & if anyone missed - been out today & out again soon  
    zero weekend here - just 28 for week  . . . . 
  • Options
    April 2018, Lorenzo :)
  • Options
    Birch - Hopefully you are having fun whilst being busy?! Out of mara training 28 miles is a big week for me. :)

Lorenzo
    - Nice XC and I'm not surprised to hear junior had a great run. Good luck for tomorrow and the coming days on your adventure. I doubt it very much is the short answer to your question. I have a very unconventional mara training schedule that I have pieced together to suit my on/off running weeks. I much prefer going out for an hour or so or doing shorter faster stuff than plodding along for 3 hours. My off weeks are about 35k total, which is where I usually am but that doesn't quite cut it in mara training and I was very curious to see what would happen if I ran a few 70 plus miles a week. One thing I would say though, is that it's been a joy just to be able to run so much and feeling fit and lighter than ever before is also great but If I can run a gfa in Amsterdam I'd like to focus on some track stuff and work on hitting my targets I set myself earlier in the year I'd really love to get my 5k down to low 18 and then under 18, current pb is 18:36. I think I can do it with the right approach to training. 
  • Options
    Good work you lot.  Nice racing from OO, BB, Joolska. Nice training Gul, GD, GM, Leslie et al.  Gul get that entry sorted while the shoes are still springy.

Lorenzo you packed a lot into a day.  So much to think about in a landscape having history and tragedy under every step.  It's pretty much unimaginable to our generation. Good luck on the proper long run.

The Flanders Fields mara is good (apart from the danger of trombone-related injury) and Ypres is an attractive town too - recommended to any runner interested in 20thC history.

Not much running to report here but did a fair bit of outdoor labour this week and felt much better for having knocked off that last mara. So much so that I have entered a few more in order to ride the mojo wave while it lasts.  Net stop Hull, then MK, then will probably do Newcastle and Pompey before Christmas with Manc and London lined up in the spring. If the body stays willing.
  • Options
    OO - looking very comfortable in that pic.
    Leslie - hope you're feeling better now.
    Badbark - very impressive HM at the end of a 100 mile week! What's your target for Chester?
    Jools - progressing in the right direction - you should be on top form by April!
    Lorenzo - enjoy your 3 day ultra!
    Poacher - doesn't sound like you're undecided about going for the ton any more!!! What is the Milton Keynes marathon? Or is that a different MK?
    10 slow miles today with 10 x 100m strides.
  • Options
    Badbark said:

Now it’s taper time before the Chester Marathon in 3 weeks.

You ill or something? Plenty of time for 3 10ks, a half and maybe an ultra before the taper ;-)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's great mileage Gerard and a fast paced LSR- hope your pal found it helpful too.

Excellent running BB- very close to 80 mins so I can understand your annoyance but should be easy if you just focus on one without all the extra miles.

Not too shabby 1?2M Jools- very similar to juniors time in the GNR!

Congrats on the XC for you and junior Lorenzo and enjoy your Scottish expedition. I hope the new job is going well also.

Poacher I haven't entered Hull and I've offered to take junior back to Uni next weekend so no smackdown this time I'm afraid. I hope the winds are kind on the Humber bridge and you show the same strength as last time round off little training. Also can't believe you fancy more punishment at the Newcastle mara- 7 laps was very hard going last year I couldn't face that one again. 

I've picked up a dose of man flu so rest day here.

• Options

Poacher - Haha, that's nearly one marathon for every month.

OO - Get well soon.

Up early again this morning and out the door for 6. Perfect conditions again, 7 recovery miles @ about 8:30 pace or thereabouts. The rest of the week will just be a few 5k's on lunch and most likely nothing on the weekend. I was just looking at my schedule and was wondering what most people run for their LSR say 3 weeks and two weeks from a marathon? I am torn between another 20 or an 18 three weeks out and a 15 and a 13 two weeks out.

• Options
    Nice plans Poacher!

GM - I seem to remember doing 18 miles at MP (as part of a 20 mile run) 3 weeks out in one campaign and it was fine, then following it up with 12 or so easy 2 weeks out. I dread to think what Badbark will suggest. 

Hope the man flu clears up OO

Leg 1 successfully completed with 18 miles from Stornoway Airport to Breasclete on the west coast of Harris & Lewis.

Will be going for a Full Monty breakfast tomorrow morning! 
  • Options
    Lorenzo this is a brilliant challenge, enjoy every minute. Not having a 'proper' job, even if only for a while, is truly liberating.
  • Options

Gerard cracking week of mileage

Badbark 80 mins for a half in a ton up week looks very promising for Chichester mara ,don't forget to taper and you should do well.

Birch still not too bad ,more than I managed.

Lorenzo tough day today with a 40 miler for you !

GUL nice 10.

0054 get well soon.

Feeling better so got a 5 miler last night ,think running every other day might be a better way to do at the minute, will see how I go.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care Leslie, I'm sure your body will guide you. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    OO - get well soon.
    GM - I would say 18, then 12. But don't listen to me!
    Lorenzo - Leg 1 sounds like a nice warm-up! Make sure you get some photos to share with us. Should be a fantastic experience.
    Leslie - sounds sensible.
    12 miles this morning with 27 x 400m tempo / 200m easy. Splits were all over the place, but I'm blaming the GPS watch. Overall pace was 7:08 m/m so a decent session anyway. Last day in the Swaffham office today, so will have the luxury of walking to work again from tomorrow.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - over the years my modus operandi has been a 20 3 weeks out, 15 max 2 weeks out, 10 max 1 week out.  Why go over double digits one week out ? - all the endurance should be in the bank by then.  
    Prompted by your query , just checked my diary for pre VLM 2015 (my last, and final, marathon) - 3 weeks 2 days pre race was 20.5 (this being the 11th 20+ miler in 13 weeks), 2 weeks 1 day out was 15 inc parkrun 20:48 (goodness me, how the mediocre has fallen)  ,  8 days out was, surprisingly, as it broke my rule, 12 (2 miles more than my usual maximum). Rest day on the Sunday, then final week Mon - 6 miles inc 6 x 1K "relaxed efforts",  Tue 5 easy, Wed 4 easy, Thur, Fri rest,  Sat 2 miles jog, Sun race day.
    From where I an now, I wonder how the hell I did that buildup !  
  • Options
    Beautiful morning here in Bristol, too: 7 miles @ 8.19m/m and legs felt slightly tired from Sunday, but definitely better than they would be after a flat-out half, so fingers crossed there is more to come!

GM
    : I'll try and remember to check training diaries when I get home, but from memory I'd usually do 20, 17, 13 according to P&D.

Gul: 27 reps is impressive at any time of day, let alone sparrowfart.  Good work.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Blimey, I missed that !  good work indeed , Gul !
  • Options
    Great session Gul - 27 reps of anything is good going. Have you read the Zatopek training manual?! 

Leslie - that approach sounds sensible for the time being. 

Jools - sounds like you're getting back to full fitness. 

To say I'm feeling a bit knackered at the moment is a bit of an understatement. 43 miles today with a break in the middle for lunch and I was definitely reduced to an ultra-style shuffle by the end of the day. Refuelling on pizza and ice cream at the mo. 

'Only' 31 planned for tomorrow - 20 to the ferry to Berneray (Prince Charles' favourite island up here) and then 11 the other side. Hoping my legs feel a bit more up for it in the morning than they do currently. 
  • Options
    Gul your training is sounding more Zatopek than, err, Zatopek. Chapeau.

Lorenzo - good stuff and an experience you will never forget.

GM - undertrained is always better than overtrained.

Birch - are you are the word "final" is appropriate? 

OO - nice excuse for not going to sunny Hull
  • Options
    I actually ran 5m tonight @ 7.19mm - hurrah
  • Options
    Hey guys, thanks  for all the advice. I will have a think and will most likely do no more than 18 maybe with 15 @ MP. Great training guys and Epic adventures continue for Lorenzo et al. 

One of the stalwarts of the local club just turned 60 and there was a 5k in honour of his new age category. He's a class bloke who gives up so much of his time so there was no way I was missing that. Myself and a few others decided to try and get as many to go in fancy dress and we would run with him. It was sooooo fun. We boxed him in nicely and we had so many laughs along the way. Some of the attire was amazing. Lovely to see so many people turn out and he had such a wide smile on his face all the way. Epic stuff! I was as below. Such fun! 

• Options
    Jools - yes, that's a good sign; I'm sure there' lots more to come.
    Lorenzo - well done; not surprised you're a bit shattered to say the least. Good luck today - the ferry will make a nice break if your legs don't seize up!
    Poacher - is your bicycle broken? Nice pace for your 5 miler. And yes, Zatopek is the inspiration behind the 400m/200m reps although I have heard he did 100 reps in a session (hard to believe as that's 60km!)
    GM - great fun but that's a scary photo. 18 with 15 @ MP 3 weeks out sounds a bit much to me.
    6 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Gul - Great rep session. I think the most I've run on a track is about 30 laps but that was not at any great speed. Moi scary? Never! :)
  • Options
    5K along the prom on lunch today in the sunshine. MP was the plan and it came out at exactly 22:30 or 7:15mm. It was a bit breezy in parts today so not perfect even splits but the finish time was.
  • Options
    Gul cracking number of 400's and guess you will have even more time to run now work is at your doorstep !
    Birch comes as no surprise you have a diary !
    Lorenzo 43 is a long way and more big miles today !
    Poacher is 3 m is enough for a mara how far does 5m go in training !
    Gerard 118118 sounds like a great time.

• Options
    Great photo GM - did you need to buy anything specially for it!!

Think you need to start tapering now Poacher - no point in being overtrained.  ;)

32 miles for me today. The morning session (21 miles) felt hard and was a bit ploddy but after a 3 hour break for lunch (I misread the ferry timetable and didn't spot the afternoon cruising has been cancelled) I felt reasonably fresh for the stretch this evening. Great beaches, bogs and lakes together with a sunset for views today.  :)
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    GM - nice rug but you appear to be at least a foot taller than the lintel over that door. If there were a world championship in stooping, you could be a contender.

Gul I am in awe of your dedication to training but can't help thinking that this should translate into a fast marathon if you really want it.  If you pick a flattish road race (please not the Shakespeare :'( ) you have a pretty fast one in you.

Did you all spot that OO has chickened out of another Hull smackdown?  :)

Anyway, 4m run today + 42m bike. Starting to feel a tiny bit fitter.
  • Options
    XP Lorenzo - a very impressive, life-affirming effort. Grand chapeau.

Worryingly, I suspect GM owned all that kit already and regularly dresses like that for work. It's up to him to deny it, if he dares.
  • Options
    Leslie - Have you managed to shake whatever it was that made you feel under the weather? 

Gul -
    I've figured out what to do, as below. 

Lorenzo
    - Epic stuff! Sounds like you are really making the most of it! Cool! No purchases necessary and as correctly pointed out, it was all alarmingly in the locker. The wig was borrowed from the work's social fancy dress cupboard. :) 

Poacher - Haha, good spot. I'm only 5'9 but about 2 inches taller with the wig. It's camera trickery, but the Lintel is smaller than standard, about 6ft, it's a 19 century cottage so more akin to hobbits than giants like yourself. Noted you are getting some big miles in before your next one. :smiley:

So, as per usual I have to think laterally in terms of how to put the final pieces of the jigsaw in place, as I near taper mode, and when I say taper mode, it doesn't really apply to me per se, as I have been doing 60-70 plus mile weeks but not every week as every 2nd week is 20-30mpw max . The plan is to do a 20 miler next Monday which is 20 days out from The Dam and then a 16 on the Sunday which will be two weeks out. I will run very little the week after, so I should be well rested the week leading up the big day. In some ways running big miles one week and then very the next is not textbook stuff but at least I won't experience the legendary taper madness (here's hoping) that most do when they have to taper back the miles. Well, that's how I'm thinking it will work for me. :smile:
  • Options
    Wig-tatstic attire GM, love it! Good taper plans too. Nice.

Brilliant stuff from Lorenzo. I can also track the activity on Strava, brilliant work, Sir.

Totally bonkers busy at work and home at the moment, so not been able to post. Have been able to run, though.

Got 16 on the trails on Saturday, nice and slow, then a 3 mile recovery the next day.
    Rested on Monday which was forced due to working late.
    Tuesday was a 10 miler with a pal. He's not quite as quick at the moment due to recent injuries and man-flu, so a testing 10 miler at 7.12 pace for him seemed dead straightforward for me.
    Backed it up last night with an 8 mile tempo session at 6.29 pace. Really good signs, although the last mile (6.17) was a puffing push.

Track tonight(15 x 300 with 100m jog recs) and then the final 20 miler of the campaign on the trails again on Saturday.
    Have brought it forward a week due to family activities next weekend, after which, it's taper!
  • Options
    GM - nice lunchtime 5k and good plan. My reps were just around the park, not on a track - 30 laps is good going.
    Lorenzo - 3 hour lunch break sounds tough ;)
    Poacher - good miles. Maybe next year I'll get around to a flat road marathon.
    GD - some good training there. Hope work and home settle down soon.
    11 miles this morning. 5 @ 8:36 and 6 @ 7:48.