Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - wonderful - 75 in 2 days , on , I would guess, fairly demanding terrain ?   is awe-inspiring.  You certainly earned the ice cream, pizza & full monty breakfast !   

G-Dawg - good week - apologies, but which mara ?  

Gerard - you'll be just, as you perhaps would put it, grand, on marathon day. You may have alternated the big weeks with lesser ones, but a lot of work has gone into the big ones - and some very encouraging time on feet runs are in the bank.
    your pic (and your training period through the warm months) reminded me of a certain hit of the 70's   -  and the lead singer Image result for mungo jerry ray dorset

- Poacher & OO might remember   :)     

and, Poacher, as you asked - yes, I did intend London 2015 to be my final marathon, for 2 or 3 reasons.  and yet, and yet  . . . .     as I've mentioned, my form has dropped off a cliff over the last two years, and the thought occurs that its just how it is now. BUT, as your good self has stated - "what if the opposite is true"?  what if I just enter a marathon - if I've proved anything before, its that I can motivate myself when a goal is set - its just that equally I'm rubbish when I'm drifting along, like now.  So, who knows, but I ought to do something to "get going" again. Maybe start by putting my ego to bed and attacking a parkrun to obtain a benchmark (would not be pretty) . It did make me think the other day, when Gerard's query prompted me to look at the 2015 schedule - surely I could at least get near something similar, even if not completely ?  anyway, i'll continue to prevaricate - there's summat I'm really good at . . . . .

10.5 miles yesterday, split 50/50 tarmac & trail - 6 planned later today . . .
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You are right Poacher no denying it, definitely a moral victory to you at Hull.

Pleased to say I don't recognize that singer Birch- I must be either too young, or too old and my memory is fading...

Bit of a lazy week after my 10k and 14 miler last Sunday. Not sure if it was the pace or the spikes but my calves were in a bad way earlier this week. Still, a small rest will not do any harm and a fast parkrun still planned this weekend.

Really enjoying your exploits Lorenzo- nice photos on Strava   

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Birch - Haha, in the summertime........ :)

OO - Probs a mix of both.

GD - You need to race a 10k man.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Jools – Solid HM time. I ran 1:27 in a HM a few weeks ago

PMJ – I’ve only the one 10k planned in the taper :) 

OO – Wishing you a fast man flu recovery

Leslie – It’s good to read you are feeling better. Every other day sounds good at the minute

Lorenzo – Awesome mileage! I approve

Poacher – Good brick session

GM – Scary pic! Your taper mileage plans sounds good to me, but make sure to only drop the mileage not the intensity until the last week.

GD – That’s some great sessions completed. I don’t think I could do 8 at 6:29 without a number on.

Gul – Fantastic interval session and a nice 11 miler

Birch – A see a marathon campaign on the horizon! Go for it

This weekend coming is going to be the first in 10 weeks I won’t have a race. So I’ll just have to blast the Parkrun within my planned 17 miler. :) Then I’ve another 4 races in 3 ½ weeks (including 2 marathons) before heading off to Mallorca to become an obese alcoholic!  :)

No taper madness so far but it helps that the first week of my taper will still be over 70 miles, having peaked at 105 last week.

I note some discussion on the last three long runs in a taper. I’m a firm believer in the saying ‘If you keep doing what you are doing, you will keep getting what you get’. So any experienced marathon runner should be copying their last taper, which led to a great PB. If you ran poorly the last time, then try a different approach.

I also believe that you have to take risks to truly excel. I follow the P&D taper which includes its last 3 long runs of 20, 17 and 13. It’s risky, but I also add quality to these runs by incorporating races into the mileage.

Before London early this year I incorporated a HM in the 20 miler and a 10k in the 13 miler. I went on to run a PB in 2:49. Needless to say, I’m doing the same again for Chester.

• Birch you should have posed the pop quiz question "In the Summertime".

Incidentally, are you the son of your father? 
  • Hi Birch! Abingdon Mara in 4 weeks. Only 115ft of elevation, suits my metronomic running style.

Interesting taper comments BB. I'm up for a bit of risk now I've got more experience. Amazing that your first taper week is 70 miles. I've never hit that total. :D

Legendary stuff from Lorenzo. Chapeau Sir.

15x300 with 100m walking recoveries tonight at the track. Coach said to do them in 55 secs. A tough old ask after a couple of decent runs yesterday and Tuesday. Was surprisingly consistent with only 3 reps at 56 secs, all others 55 or under.

Rest tomorrow and then the final 20 miler of the Abo campaign on the trails Saturday.
  • G-Dawg - I completely forgot you were doing a mara! Where's that list gone??

Badbark - Cheers for the advice! I'll do what I can. Like I said mine is unconventional but suits me. 

I omitted to mention that Jersey is hosting the World super league triathlon event this weekend. So, Jonny Brownlee, Maria Mola, Richard Murray and all the other big guns are currently on the Island strutting their stuff. Bizarrely enough I also forgot to mention that Chris McCormack, Ryan Baillie and a few other tri studs were jogging around the 5k with us the other night, they must have thought what a bonkers lot in this Island. :) Those guys are so tiny, I mean they are about 20kg's lighter than me. Speed endurance machines. I'm really looking forward to taking in the event which is on Saturday and Sunday. It's a cool concept and so nice to see them giving up their time down the local track with all the juniors and mini athletes. Very cool! 

• Gerard yes much better after a couple of days,enjoy watching the triathlon.
    Birch I was listening to that tune only last week ! Get down to that parkrun soon and begin the comeback.
    Badbark 2 more practice mara's before the big event ,mad stuff indeed.

5 miles 2 days ago and 2 mile walk last night !

• Birch - don't prevaricate for too long. Me, I just love training for the sake of it. I wouldn't have recognised the singer, but I do know the song. First day of Autumn today, I think.
    OO - hope you're fully recovered now.
    Badbark  - great advice. Now I just need to work out what I need to change.
    GD - excellent reps, as ever.
    GM - should be a good weekend.
    Leslie - another run today, then?
    6 mile recovery run this morning. Looks like I might get to do parkrun tomorrow - first one in 6 months, I think. Just need to decide what to do about this weekend's long run.
  • GerardM said:

I omitted to mention that Jersey is hosting the World super league triathlon event this weekend. So, Jonny Brownlee, Maria Mola, Richard Murray and all the other big guns are currently on the Island strutting their stuff. 

Good option for a selfie then? I try and run around Hyde Park on the Friday before VMLM on Sunday. The grandstand and finish are all being set up then and you get the odd elite running the last mile or so and generally looking very cold and wrapped up.
  • I forgot to say that it's chilly here today - had to resort to a second layer.
  • PMJ - A lot of my friends have been helping out with the course set up and the pro tri guys and girls have been all over the island taking in the waves, local beach cafes etc. They all seem like such a friendly bunch and there are 100's of photos on FB with them and my mates but I have been pre occupied, so no real opportunity to see them all yet. The firm I work for is a sponsor of the event and I would imagine there will be a good opportunity to see all of them in some capacity over the weekend. One of my mates (he's an ex pro Ironman) did a paddleboard race against Jonny Brownlee yesterday, you don't get to do or say that every day! Alistair meanwhile was surfing. It's forecast to be 21c tomorrow, so it will be shorts and t-shirt weather. Great for the supporters that the weather will be good.

Leslie - Good to hear.

Gul - Hard to believe that it's been half a year since your last parkrun. Good luck!

• Gul Darr said:

Badbark  - great advice. Now I just need to work out what I need to change.
    Here's the last few weeks of a high mileage P&D schedule. You might want to shorten some of the runs but it's a good guide.

6 + 5 r
    10 w/ 5 x 800m @ 5k - 3 min rest
    13 e
    4 + 8 w 8 x100 strides
    6 r
    10 k race
    17 mi 
    6 r
    10 ga 10x100 strides
    6 + 4
    9 w/ 3 x 1 mi 5k pace - 4 min rests
    6 r
    8 ga w/ 8x100
    13 e
    6 R
    6 + 4 e
    9 w 2.5 MP
    6 R
    5 R w 6x100
    4 R
    RACE

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Leslie H said:

Badbark 2 more practice mara's before the big event ,mad stuff indeed.

I'm not quite that mad. :) The 1st of the marathons before my holiday is the big event (Chester). The 2nd will just be a steady paced marathon 10 days later.

My next races -

30/09 Bangor 10k

08/10 Chester Marathon – The A race

14/10 Comber Cup XC

18/10 EAMS Marathon – then fly to Mallorca later in the day :)

Edit - then after a week holiday I have these planned

28/10 EAMS Marathon

04/11 McConnell Shield XC

10/11 Wedding Marathon – This will be my 50th Marathon

15/11 Run in the Dark 10k

18/11 British and Irish Masters XC – open race

25/11 Loop the Lough 54 mile Ultra Marathon

02/12 Malcolm Cup XC

So 19 races in 20 weeks :)

• Badbark - That's some race schedule. What's the target for Chester? 

MsE - You've dropped off the radar of late. Hope all is well in your camp? 

Gul - I meant to say earlier, try not to go too mad for the 1st mile tomorrow. I recall your 5k's are similar to mine in that you have a tenancy to go hard in the 1st mile. Hope you don't mind me saying. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it! 

Lunchtime 5k in the sunshine for me today. Bit of a leg loosener and saw some very fit looking elite runners along the prom. It's so interesting to see how upright the tri guys/ladies are and oh my they are mostly so tiny/waif looking.  6:48mm average. That's the fastest I've run on a lunch run for a good while and it was not too much of an effort breathing wise but the legs did feel like they were moving a bit quicker than usual. 

• GM - sounds as though it's all happening in Jersey at the moment. Please tell me you wore your 118 outfit while you were out spotting the elites!

Badbark - that's some schedule. Love the variety in there but don't how you recover quickly enough from one weekend to the next.

More great reps from you G-Dawg - given that Abo is such a flat course with every opportunity for a big PB, what are you going to be aiming for there?

Gul - good luck with the parkrun. Probably sensible to leave the watch at home, run it without a target time in mind and see what comes out in the wash.

Anyway, as you can probably guess, I'm back on the mainland having successfully made it to Benbecula Airport on Thursday lunchtime and covered a distance of (according to my Garmin) 111.1 miles since landing at Stornoway on Monday.

Very chuffed to have completed what seemed like a good (and almost sane) personal challenge when I first came up with it. Without doubt, it's a beautiful part of the UK and there's a lot of variety in landscape as you work your way down Lewis, Harris and into North Uist with a mixture of bogs, hills (and mountains when you get the views across to Skye) and beaches. I was also very lucky with the weather; the only things that I packed that I didn't need were waterproof over-trousers, gloves and first aid / blister kit.

Yesterday's run (about 18 miles in total) was a run of two halves - I felt really great to start with and was ticking along nicely but after a short stop to rescue a ram who'd got its horns stuck in a gate (not something I'd normally do on a run!), tiredness started to set in and it was definitely a shuffle for the second half. Not sure whether it was down to the accumulated mileage in my legs, the sense of satisfaction of hitting the 100 mile mark or that odd feeling you get when you're close to the end but not close enough to be able to pick up the pace, or perhaps a mixture of all three.

Thanks for all the support from everyone on here - it definitely kept me going as I couldn't bear the thought of saying I hadn't managed to complete it. Unfortunately I had a Strava malfunction on the last couple of stretches and it didn't pick things up properly but trust me, I was there!!!

Unsurprisingly I had a rest day today and I'll have another tomorrow but might pop out for a few cheeky easy miles on Sunday.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are in the right place Gerard. All we get here is Vera filming up the road :(
    Loving the schedule BB- my body would snap at 25% of that.
    My lowest mileage week this year. That 10k in spikes is still hurting my calves so plenty of rest. Parkrun tomorrow then a run in Sheffield on Sunday when I drop junior back at Uni.
  • Badbark - thanks for the schedule. And that's quite some race diary you have there!
    GM - excellent lunchtime run. I'm afraid I didn't see your advice until after parkrun.
    Lorenzo - well done. That was a truly epic challenge. Hope you enjoyed/enjoy the rest days.
    OO - hope parkrun went well.
    Well I made it to parkrun. Got boxed in at the start but still managed to do the first lap a touch too fast (5:55) and was in about 5th place. Managed to keep 10-15 yards of an ex-work colleague for the 2nd lap though we both slowed a bit (6:09). 2 runners passed me during the third and final lap but kept a steady pace (6:11). Then one of the runners who had passed me collapsed to the ground and started fitting; the other runner stopped and called for medical assistance which was very close by as it was just near the finish. So I regained those 2 places and finished in 5th; 19:03 by my watch. The guy on the ground was the same guy who I saw in the same situation near the end of the GEAR 10k last year. As I left, there were several people in attendance by him. Mrs GD has since sent me a message to say she saw an ambulance and air ambulance in the park as she passed by on her way past half an hour later. Hope he's going to be okay. Makes my time seem totally irrelevant now.
  • Crikey Gul - as you say, something like that really puts everything other things in perspective. Hope he's OK
  • GM – That’s a nippy lunch time run. I’ll be targeting a PB by running 2:48:xx in Chester.

Lorenzo – I’m loving the 111.1 mileage! That’s a great adventure you had, and give yourself a large pat on the back from me.

OO – Your body would only snap at 25% of my schedule if you didn’t gradually work up to it, and not have all the other bits in place. I hope your Parkrun went well.

Gul – Holy smoke, that’s awful. I hope he’s ok. In January a guy collapsed and died of a heart attack at my local Parkrun.  It’s our duty to enjoy life to the full, as you never know when it will be taken away.

Great Park-running from you.

I ran 17 miles this morning including a hard effort at my local Parkrun. It’s a slow course and it was windy, so I’m very pleased to have recorded 18:28. That’s my 3rd fastest on that course in 107 attempts, and I’d already run 12 miles before I began. 

I'm feeling confident about Chester and can see myself powering up to the finish line with 2:48:xx on the clock. :smiley:

• Pleased to say that the runner is fine and fortunately the air ambulance was not required.
    Badbark  - top running. With the training and races you have been racking up, you have every reason to be confident that you will hit such an impressive target.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Gul you seeing the same guy a year later collapse again given you do 1 parkrun every 6 months must be about a million to 1 ! Very decent time anyway and you might even squeeze under 18 officially maybe ! and yes  5m run last night .
    Lorenzo proper ocd number there very impressive running and a record week no doubt ! 
    Badbark what a racing calendar and I think given your current form there is a distinct chance of a pb in Chester ! then you can go on your holidays and get fat like the rest of us ... I like p&d but the bigger mileage schedules are incredibly tough I found ..did the 70-85m one last time and looking forward to getting another go but when I dunno at the minute.

2x 2 mile walks today one in the country park . then 70 pressups ! 50 and 20 been at this a few weeks now ( finding it tough ) but getting better ! x training !

• Gul - Scary experience to witness but I'm glad to hear he's ok. Well run today.

Badbark - I like your target! 

Afternoon spent watching the elite triathletes swim, run and bike around the marina today. Very technical bike course with so many sharp turns. Only heard of one crash which is amazing. Watching them run was obviously the highlight for me. The men and women, amazing specimens and so so fast. It was a stunning day too so the spectators were out in big numbers. Tomorrow is the final and I'll be there again. So it's Berlin mara tomorrow and that's going to be some race. Hoping the conditions are favourable and we see one of them get the WR. Smart money is on Kigchoge but I'm hoping Bekele gets the WR to add to his 5,000 and 10,000. Either way it should be fascinating to watch. Have a great weekend everyone. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Gul, cracking time all the same.
    You too BB, amazing to find that pace at the end of a long run.
    Hope the last long run goes well G Dawg, sounds like you are all set.
    Lorenzo, no wonder you struggled at the end- I reckon you'll be needing a few days rest.
    slow parkrun here, just 19:45. Struggled to get any pace going- like you Gul got swallowed at the start but clawed my way back to 8th. Tomorrow should be a cut back to 10-12 miles for a 35 mile week, one of my lowest this year- but definitely  needed.
  • Who wants to be in Berlin? - it's never dull in Hull

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Haha good luck Poacher!!! 
  • Thanks - for "connected by glory" read "connected by threadbare ligaments which are themselves held together by willpower"
  • Leslie - nice cross training.
    GM - great weekend and it's not over yet.
    OO - hope the cut-back week does the trick.
    Poacher - all the best in the city of culture.
    20 miles this morning. 10 @ 8:21 and 10 @ 7:39. Spotted that my watch battery was nearly dead so turned around at 9.5 miles. It stopped at 15.9 miles. Bizarrely it then started again just as I passed my house to do 1 final mile make up the round 20! 72 for the week.

• Belated good luck Poacher - hope it's gone well.

Spooky performance from your watch there Gul - good mileage this week.

After a couple of days rest, I thought I'd head back out on the trails and met up with an ex-work friend who I hadn't seen for over 10 years but had "stayed in touch with" via FB / Strava. Wonderful run catching up on all the news over the past decade(!) and the time just flew by, helped by perfect weather and wonderful views.

9 miles in total, bringing me up to 120 for the week - think I might cut back a bit this week. :)

New job starts tomorrow so will have to get used to putting a suit on and catching the train again!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Gerard enjoy the spectating .
    0054 a bit of form for you but you can't be fast all the time .
    Poacher at least it looks like it not raining in hull unlike berlin ! Enjoy the suffering !
    Gul strong looking 20 there you are in good shape now .
    Lorenzo great way to round of an amazing week ,120 clicks is proper mileage !
    Long this morn 18.5 mile covered but was really struggling from about 13m and pace fell to 10m/mile for a while and never really recovered much,a proper death march average 9:01 per mile .had to walk a further 0.5m to get back so realistically looking at around a 5hr mara ..feck that !!! Think the fat lady might be getting ready to sing soon ...

35m for the week .