Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Clifton Prom (the bit between the top of Bridge Valley Road and the corner where you'd turn to go to the Suspension Bridge).  Keith's sessions tend to be at more of a mix of venues than Chris's, who these days is mostly at the track.  Bridge Valley is also very good for a long hill session!  I think Keith quite often does a hill session in Ashton Court, too, on a Saturday, but I've never gone to it.  It's always worth looking on the website to pick and choose what suits.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mr soft, I cover my feet in gerwhol and use it from about now as it also hardens the skin. It's about £5 on Amazon. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I was also going to recommend something to harden the skin - can't remember what I used to use for TaeKwon Do, it was some sort of white spirit variation or something.

Joolska - yeah I know Clifton Prom - it's a bit of a sneaky one that, always feels harder to run than it looks. BVR would usually be my hill session, a bit scared of over-exerting the achilles though.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    where in Bristol did you do that Nicko?

I worked up to bluebelt at Redfield between 98-01.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    It was back in Maidenhead; about that same period - I didn't move to Bristol until '07 - got up to green belt w/blue tag before University and excessive drinking got in the way. Always told myself I'd start up again at some point.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good luck to OO for tomorrow in Paris.

Still struggling with the left hamstring/glute here - not quite bad enough that I haven't been able to run but not where I'd like it to be in a weeks time.  Will keep massaging/rolling/icing/praying ... and see how it's looking later in the week before making a decision.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good luck, OO - weather looks set fair, if a soupcon warm . . . .  

SBD - hm, you don't need that a week out - let's hope it's nothing more than a niggle which will disappear by race day - you've put such a good campaign together . . .    

quiet week here only a couple of outings,  (been away for a few days) ..

have a good weekend, all
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good luck, OO - weather looks set fair, if a soupcon warm . . . .  

SBD - hm, you don't need that a week out - let's hope it's nothing more than a niggle which will disappear by race day - you've put such a good campaign together . . .    

quiet week here only a couple of outings,  (been away for a few days) ..

have a good weekend, all
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Have you had any professional help with hammy, SBD? At this stage id throw the kitchen sink at it if it might help!

Parkrun again today . It was pouring down as it had been the last twice but it was still. Felt decent warming up so want for it harder than last week. 2 lads smashed off not to be seen again. I settled into 7th then just before mile 1 (5.55) moved to 6th and tucked in behind 2 bigger lads for a bit. Pushed passed them at about half way to move to 4th. There was then 3rd place about 15 metres ahead. He seemed to slow more than me after the sharp switchback and at about 2 miles I was on his shoulder (6.04) then we had a bit of back and forth for the next half a mile before I had a burst of energy and put 20 metres between us which is how things stayed. Mile 3 came in 5.59 and the scraps at 5.42 pace for 18.21 on watch. My pb is 18.24 so as long as I wasn't over excited with buttons that should land me a PB and new wava best. Just waiting on official result.

pleased with that as felt strong, particularly holding pace last 1.1 miles. I usually fade by about 10 seconds there. 
  • No running for a few days. Got in a good batch over Easter (Maidenhead Good Friday 10 race, parkrun Saturday plus padding for 7, 14 with a muddy start, dry central portion down the Phoenix Trail and then very wet underfoot back across Thame Park on Sunday ) and then a couple of recovery runs Tuesday and Wednesday but Thursday both the gout and plantar fasciitis flared up so I am hobbling at the moment. Shame as I was due to do my 200th parkrun this morning. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good to see plenty of solid training runs completed by everyone.

OO – Good luck in Paris

DT19 - Well done on the Parkrun PB!

After last weekend’s 108 mile ultra I’ve taken it easy this week. I did run 15.5 miles today including a HMP effort Parkrun which resulted in 19:29. This was surprisingly nippy as my legs still feel like lead. I finished my run with 8 x 10 sec hill sprints. Thankfully my toes have recovered from last weekend, although I did have to put a hole through my big toe nail to release blister fluid. Yummy :)

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck again OO54, look forward to the report.

Hope the hamstring issues clear up SBD; frustrating I'm sure.

Great parkrun DT19, congrats on the PB.

Good comeback run Badbark, in fact that's an amazing effort after such a killer last weekend.

Final 20 miler for me today; weather was disgusting this morning so set out a little later in the day. Feeling a bit heavy legged after Thursday's tempo and no time for a recovery run on Friday. A solid first 15 mainly within the 7:30 - 7:45 range; apart from a slow uphill mile; then finished with 7:27, 6:50, 6:44, 7:02 (lots of road crossings); and a slow cooldown mile. Pretty happy with that; recovery run tomorrow to kick off the 2 week taper.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s a good confidence booster Nicko- very good pace indeed.
    DT19 that’s a cracking parkrun effort & podium.
     Take care PMJ- save the 200 for next week!
    All good here in Paris just the usual last minute paranoia. Let you know how it goes.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Just stopping by to wish all the racers good luck for tomorrow.

Birch I hope your son has a great one in Manc tomorrow.

Will endeavour to catch up properly soon. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - have a great race in Paris tomorrow.
    SBD - hope that niggle clears up asap; you've had such a excellent campaign.
    Lots of great training going on as usual. Good luck to anyone else racing tomorrow.
    Another couple of bike sessions done, but only 30 mins a time with 15-20 mins hard (for me). 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hi again all; been incommunicado for some time while working abroad with little opportunity to run. Hope all is going well. Spring mara season is upon us - time to find out whether the winter training has worked.

Off to the Manchester mara tomorrow, and I did all the training in in one day with a 21.22 park run this morning.  Very economical as regards to time, but this is going to be really, really ugly. Anything under 4h will be a triumph.

Two weeks to VLM - planning to turn out for a slow one, who's for a post race tipple in the Chandos?
  • Fingers crossed SBD - given the excellent form you've been in recently I really hope you'll be OK to run next weekend. 

Thanks for the blister report Madbark - so glad I read that after I'd eaten this evening.

Good luck in Manchester Poacher - sounds like you might have overttrained a  it during this campaign. I'll be at Chandos, hopefully along with a smiling G-Dawg. 

Couldn't get the transport logistics to stack up to be able to make the Rome parkrun this morning so had to be content with a 7 mile run round Lago 
    Albano this morning. Legs were still a bit weary after a 6x3min rep session followed by more stomping round museums yesterday before heading down to Rome. Am trying to remember where I read that wine and ice cream was an important part of nutrition during the taper period; I'm sure it's not just wishful thinking. ?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounds a solid strategy to me, Lorenzo. Rome is fab. Get involved in all it offers.

Did 15 miles yesterday. Various plans say keep it easy, so I decided to challenge myself to keep every split in 7.3x.

After a big family meal the night before, I was a little, 'jaded', shall we say!!  B):p
    Soon perked up after 5 miles and really had to hold back in some of the splits which I guess is a good sign.

Did all 15 at 7.3x apart from the final one when I blotted my copybook with a dastardly 7.28 due to nipping quickly across a road. Legs were tired as I pushed them during the week with some quicker stuff.
    Need to get off the sofa now for a short recovery.

Hope all is well in Paris and Manchester. Looking forward to the stories...
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    OO54 - I hope Paris went well, decent weather for it this weekend!

Great running G-Dawg

Gul & Lorenzo - 
    The trips sound amazing, love travelling!

Warwick half for me today, aim was to run 3 miles warm up and then 10m at MP. Was feeling fresh and struggling to keep a lid in the pace, averaged 7.17 for 9 miles which felt xomfcomfort .Decided to let loose at mile 12 as it was downhill and I was feeling so fresh. Finished with a 6.11 and 1.36.40 which is a one minute PB. 

Pleased with the MP and the effort in total. The course was very quiet with not many supporters out but I'd definitely do it again!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Stevie - Well run, sounds like you are in good shape!

Watched a bit of the Paris marathon this morning and it looked a bit warm. Hope OO had a good one.

Jersey Spring 10k for me today. I've not run much this week as I wanted to be as fresh as possible and arrived at the start feeling good. It was drizzling rain and a light wind so not too bad conditions. I did a mile w/up and felt great so I decided to go for my original time goal of 38:30. The course was adjusted last week as a certified course measurer from the UK came over and re measured a lot of the old courses which were mostly found to be a bit short. Parkrun was also re measured and found to be 60m too long, so can't wait to have another crack at that one. 

Anyway, as the start went off I shot off like a man possessed and got to 1k at low 37 min pace. Oops, too quick, so I adjusted to my goal pace of 6:12mm. Got to halfway in 19:11 and felt good but knew 6-7k is always the part where I struggle in 10k's. I faded a bit but recovered at 8k and the 1st lady tried to over take me with about 1 mile to go. We ran shoulder to shoulder and she's much quicker than me over all the distances, so I knew I was on for a decent time. She just got a metre on me with .2 of a mile to go but I knew she is not renowned for a sprint finish so I dropped the hammer and passed her and finished in 38:36, not sure of placing but I thinnk maybe top 10. Just outside my target and I think with a bit more endurance and better pacing I can run a 37 min 10k. As ever it's a work in progress but not a bad outing today and nice to have an official 10k time on a certified course. :smile:

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Stevie.

I did Solihull half with plan to run at MP and keep hr in low 160s. Went very well on the whole though it is quite hard to remain disciplined in first half as I had a few guys trying to race me and the temptation to just accelerate was huge. I comforted myself with the knowledge that by 10 miles they would fade. As it was that dropped off at about 7.

I let the discipline slip from about 10 miles as the whole field seemed to grind to a halt and I was able to bound through it. Came in 1.27.15 for 6.39 pace and 163 average hr. 

I'll be more disciplined in London as I'll be scared of what lies ahead later on. However would I have discovered is that 13 at around 6.45 pace is a comfortable effort. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hopefully OO has had a good day in Paris and Poacher survived Manchester.

That's an excellent MP HM DT19 - looking very good for London - don't push too hard during the next 2 weeks.

Battles with leading ladies are always good fun Gerard - a good time as well.

I ran Warwick HM last year Stevie - it's a good course - a controlled MP run from you and a PB!

A well controlled 15 G-D - don't push too hard in the taper.

I'm sure P&D mention wine and ice-cream Lorenzo so you should be fine.

Good to see you're getting some cross-training in Gul - did you not bring the running shoes?

A solid 20 miler to bring you in to the taper nicko.

Feeling a bit more positive about the hamstring today.  Have had treatment from the sports massage therapist over the last 2 weeks.  Frustratingly, there didn't seem to be a trigger but I have managed to run through it (66 miles last week and 50 miles this week) as the pain/tension would lessen or even disappear during the run.  Still unsure on the diagnosis but the therapist found some scar tissue last Tuesday which I'm hoping may the problem.  So 13 miles today at 7:29 m/m pace and just a bit of tightness in the hamstring/glute area and no real issues post run.  Hopefully, next Tuesday's treatment will work wonders and I can start to focus on the A target.  If nothing else, on the basis of today's run, I should be good for a 3:20 GFA!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo I hope you went to http://www.giolitti.it/en/ for ice cream - got to be the best there is

Quick read back that many of you are in prime form to cane it in upcoming races. It's been a particularly grim winter for training so congratulations to those who have persevered.

BB -great racing, esp. with navigational issues. I hope the problem "down below" doesn't derail you too much.

Nice running by GD, SBD and GM.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Manchester was very hard work, but sport is quite existential (you are what you do) and I really don't deserve to be any good at the moment. Total mileage this year has been about 230 but almost nothing since late April. And the real killer has been the lack of bike miles. Conditions were pretty good this morning and the course is mostly flat and potentially fast. But I was starting to suffer after 12m and the rest was made worse by a worrying mystery problem in my right knee which feels muscular, although it could be a niggling cruciate. All I really wanted to do was get some miles in and finish inside 4h. I could feel the lack of training and conditioning in the legs and was relieved to get home in 3.45.42 which is c**p, but it is what it is.  If the knee plays ball I would hope to be a few minutes quicker in London.  But that's going to hurt too. Mara/ultra no 83 ticked off, hurrah.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Late April = late Feb. Doh.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You never cease to amaze me Poacher- seems impressive to me.

And well done Gerard on the 10K, very solid.

I went for the all or nothing strategy in Paris and got the latter. Stormed the first 16 miles in sub 3 hour pace in what was a lovely day in Paris. But when it reached 22 degrees I had no answers and the legs went away very fast. I even had to walk a few stretches. Finished in 3:11 which was 3:05 running and the rest walking. The good news is that the legs feel Ok so hopefully I can take the experience and bounce back for London.

3:05 is definitely in reach but my 3 hour days were soundly retired today. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, poacher. Another ticked off. 

Hard lines, OO. I think a marathon is a very difficult race when you've seen your target time slip away and have little left to fight for. hopefully you'll recover quickly from today and do the job in London. 

Nice run, SBD. You're in good shape so stick to the plan.....

Great 10k, Gerard. only a tiny bit off target and lots of time left this year. 

Official time today was 1.27 13. I'm surprised how little it's taken out of me. Not quite sure where to push during next 10 days. I'll probably parkrun again next Saturday and perhaps an easy 12 Sunday. Bet on that I think it'll just be short and easy.

Just playing about with a pace calculator. I clocked 26.44 miles last year in London, which means I need a 6.48 average for sub 3 and in turn about 6.44 first half. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    morning all

Stevie - one minute PB excellent;  PB whilst feeling fresh is even better !

DT - well managed half there - your proposed marathon pace should feel comfy based on that, so I'd say you can be confident for the big day  . . .   

SBD - positive news re your hamstring - if you can still bag 116 in the fortnight, and with the soreness receding, then things looking better than you might have hoped.   

OO - brave attempt - you never know unless you try, and still a very good result . . .  

Poacher - well done on #83 - not bad for a crocked N(early)oGit  ;)   was on the streets of Manc myself - see below  

Gerard - great 10K - definitely heading in the right direction - and I always enjoy your reports  . . .     
    and thanks for asking re my son - yes he went well at Manchester in his debut at the distance - he bagged 2:40:40 for 42nd place.  Splits were 1:20:41 & 1:19:59  , so 38 min 10K pace all the way.  He was pleased (and, of course, so was I )   . . . .  
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That's an impressive marathon debut for your son Birch - it puts our meagre efforts in to context! 

Very unlucky with the weather OO but non the less an excellent run.  If the legs recover in the next two weeks you might surprise yourself in London.

Well done on getting round in well under 4 hours Poacher at Manchester.  Given the preparation, that is very good going!

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Congratulations to your son Birch that is an excellently paced marathon debut!

Great 10k time Gerard!

DT - Well run at Solihull. What do you use to track your heart rate? Ive recently changed to wrist based HRM on the Vivoactive 3 but im sure it records the same HR all the time! It seems accurate while resting though. If I didn't also play golf occasionally I'd have gone for the Garmin 735 which I think would have been a better option.