Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Good shout re the water. I thought the same.

DT - You are high maintenance! ;)

SBD - I am pleased to hear that your calf seems to be on the mend and also that the weather is looking ok for Sunday.

5k on lunch along the prom in warm but breezy conditions @ 6:23mm avg, the legs felt good. It's looking like it's about to warm up here too. It's been a long time coming, I keep seeing throw back memories from last year and so on and I was on the beach in the sun this time last year and in March in 2014. Let's hope it's overcast and about 14c for London marathon.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - well done in Paris. A good result in the heat and at least you give it a good crack.
    Poacher - impressive stuff after essentially no training. Edging closer to 100.
    Birch - you must be every proud of your son. Amazing debut with a negative split. Must be more to come.
    SBD - pleased to hear the hamstring is much better. Hope it holds up for Sunday. You deserve a fair chance.
    MsE - so sorry to hear things are still not going two plan. Your determination to keep on is fantastic.
    Flying home this evening. (SBD - no running here as I felt I needed to give my time to the family). Take care all.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Sunday 15 April -  Brighton Marathon
                                 SBD - Sub 3:05

Sunday 22 April -  London Marathon
                                 G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                 DT -Sub 3
                                 Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)
                                 Nicko1981 - sub 3.10
                                 Stevie - Sub 3.15
                                 Poacher - 3.35?                         

Sunday 6 May -     Richmond HM
                                 MsE

Birmingham 10k
                                 Stevie - Sub 40

Sunday 20 May  -  Sutton 10K:
                                 MsE

Draycote Water Half
                                 Stevie - Sub 1.28

Sunday 8th Sep - Marathon du Medoc
                                Nicko1981 - attempt to stay upright

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                 DT -Sub 3
                                 Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful

thinking!)
                                 Nicko1981 - sub 3.10
                                 Stevie - Sub 3.15
                                 Poacher - 3.35?

OO54     3:05

MsE

Birmingham 10k
                                 Stevie - Sub 40

MsE

Draycote Water Half
                                 Stevie - Sub 1.28

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Hope you enjoyed the break Gul - have a good flight back.

That's a lot of sports massages DT19!

A tidy 5K Gerard.

MP test run early evening, 4K w/u, 3K at MP, 4K w/d.  I had planned to do this on the track but my sports massage therapist was worried the track camber might have been a trigger to the hamstring problem so just did on the treadmill instead.  Hamstring was happy and the MP section came out at 6:42 m/m.  Felt a little fast but the HR at 162 was lower than expected marathon race HR of 165.  Sub 3:00 is an attractive target but might be a little overambitious!  Will have to decide on what pace to set off over the next few days, taking in to account the conditions on the day.  

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Glad things are back on track SBD. 

Last double digit run for me tonight as I won't get chance at the weekend .11 easy miles .

Will try and get out in London over the weekend for 5 miles and maybe 5 tomorrow if I get chance
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    SBD not long not just take it easy till sunday.
    Poacher another one of nowt ,that hundred is looking more likely every week 
    All the londoner's enjoy the taper madness another week , its too late to make any gains now but easy to mess things up by being silly so be careful.
    Stevie unless your nutritionist friend is also a runner Id be very wary of well meaning advice in the last week !
    MSE sometimes rest is the best fix and the fastest way back to where you want to be ,fitness is not much use if you can't run .
    0054 well done and showing us how its done like a boss .
    Gerard a pb is a cracking result man !

8x400m/70 secs recovery last night just before nightshift , went out with the "fast" group but after 3 reps my legs were jelly and they left me for dead  :D so took a place in next group who then sped up and made me suffer too...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes taper madness. I did a 4 mile progression. Legs still a bit tired but no lasting damage. Its nice already to be plodding along with no pressure in your runs. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Pace test looks good SBD ; seems like the 3 could definitely be in reach.

My plan calls for 5mi today with 3 @ 6:20 - not sure pushing it to essentially my 5k pace is a great idea at the moment; took the Epic React on the road for the first time last night; aimed for 6 miles at 7:30; but after the first mile seemed to naturally pick up to around 7:00 avg - the shoes just seem to drive you along!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I get the same sensation with the vaporflys, Nicko. You have to be careful in a mara not to get pushed along.

Nice 5k trot, Gerard.

SBD- promising MP session. I always feel like i'm moving very quickly on the treadmill so I think that's quite normal.

I am going out over lunchtime for 4-5 miles at mp. I am determined to sit at 6.45 pace today as I always seem to gravitate to sub 6.40. Planning a flat out parkrun then Saturday again.

I'm debating, in a 2 week taper is 12 miles too far to run on Sunday?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    DT - I don't think 12 easy would do any harm, but no gains to be made, really. My traditional "one week out" run is 10, usually on Saturday.

like Jools, I'm enjoying the final countdowns ; and, I admit, a bit envious . . .    

just plodding along here  . . . 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

The planned LR sounds OK DT19 - I guess you just have to watch the balance between the 12 miles and the weekly total (i.e. not exceeding the 30% rule) - I did 13 miles but in a 51 mile week.

Let the carbs begin!  I'm planning 9g of CHO per Kg of bodyweight for today and Friday with a tapered intake late-afternoon on the Saturday.  Breakfast (rice, chicken, tomato sauce and orange juice - 150g) and mid-morning snack (bananas, raisins and orange juice -125g) completed so just another 395g to go!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I don't know how you have your life so organized SBD- I just eat what's put in front of me which may or may not be carb loaded. Main fear for me is weight gain. I've already gained a couple since Paris Mara and I'm scared it gets worse. 

I also fancy a speedy parkrun at my local this week. I'll just go with how I feel. Then Sunday either 10 or 11 depending how the legs are going.

• Busy here, is it spring marathon time again?

Remember to cut your toenails now. They will need cutting and best to do it a few days in advance just in case.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

From someone who’s run over 60 marathons and ultras, I’d like to give a bit of advice on carbo loading. Don’t try anything new or unproven. If you haven’t run a great race using a certain method in the past, then don’t try it now. It’s very easy to ruin a great campaign by overeating or over hydrating in the last few days. All you really need is to swap out some of your usual fats for carbs and drink a couple of sports drinks between meals. Relaxing is a lot more important than carbo loading.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good advice Badbark

Track session tonight after two days of rest. Got there early so did 3 miles around the block. Happy to report that 7.00 pace felt very comfy and had to rein it in quite a bit.
    My left hip area has been playing up for a couple of weeks but I think it's on the mend. Have been doing strength work and rolling, so fingers crossed.

Then onto the track and 4 x 1 mile at 6.1x pace. Sounds too quick but perceived effort was more MP as it's quicker running in the track.
    Just under 8 miles for the night and the final miles of sub-7 pace. 12 miles easy on Saturday next and then a couple of very short cotton wool and bubble wrap runs next week.

Here's hoping the long range forecast is wrong!  :/
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    DT - I'd be worried about doing a flat out parkrun a week before London. I'm sure you know what you are doing but that's just me. 

G-Dawg - MP should feel good the way you are running at the mo. 

Carb loading fills me with dread as I hardly ever eat traditional carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes etc. But as Badbark says it's not the be all and end all of it. 

Birch - I know it's early days but has your son got his eye on another marathon now he has a champs qualifying time? 

Nicko  - It's interesting you should mention those shoes. A friend of mine who is shooting for sub 3 at Boston has recently made them his shoe of choice. He said they feel incredible. I did Medoc in 2015. I loved it! Such fun and want to do it again. 

SBD - Now your calf issue has settled down what's the game plan? It wasn't so long ago you were aiming for 3:2x iirc. Are you gonna risk sub 3 pace or will you go off more conservatively? I seem to recollect you've run sub 3 before?

Gul - I hope you all have a safe journey back and you will be coming back to some warm weather, so you should be well acclimatised. :wink:

Easy recovery 5k lunch run in the sunshine along the Prom for me today at about 8:10mm. Rest day tomorrow and will have a crack at parkrun. Been months since my last one which was annoyingly 19:00.10 on my watch and 19:00 official time. Need to correct that and hopefully there won't be any stray dogs to trip me up this time. Bloody(pesky)hounds! :smiley:

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Good advice, Badbark. I think I overdid the loading in October as I just felt sick and bloated all day Saturday and during the race.

Toe nail day is Tuesday for me.

Gerard, I've always done a flat out parkrun the Saturday before a mara (I know that doesn't make it right). P and d have 3 x 1 mile vo2 this week and the schedule I loosely follow has 3 miles at short tempo pace which is between 5k and 10k pace. I've had a pretty quiet week as well all in.

4 miles trying to hit 6.45mm yesterday came in 6.45, 6.43, 6.46 and 6.41 for a 6.44 average. Took quite a lot of concentration to sit there.

Rest day today. Conditions for parkrun tomorrow look perfect with 2mph breeze forecast.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Checked my Abingdon splits from October. All fairly even, bar one.
    There were very few water stations and I didn't get the race day nutrition right. It was very windy and I had to push hard in places and think I got a little dehydrated. I stopped twice at mile 23 to vomit. That split was 8.10, the only one over 8 mins. I missed my PB by 14 seconds!!

Still, lesson learned!  :D
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭

Congratulations to all of you on all the fantastic training and races I've been reading about.  I went back to lurking again, but just wanted to say thanks for all the useful tips I pick up from this thread.

G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                 DT -Sub 3
                                 Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)
                                 Nicko1981 - sub 3.10

Stevie - Sub 3.15
                                 Poacher - 3.35?

OO54     3:05
                                 AndyLid - sub 3.10

MsE

Birmingham 10k
                                 Stevie - Sub 40

MsE

Draycote Water Half
                                 Stevie - Sub 1.28

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    GerardM - they certainly are a good shoe; just need to make the decision on them or the Boston Boost which I've used for other races this year; as not yet gone past about 6mi in the react.

Good advice from Badbark on loading and PhilipMJones on toenails - I'd like to try and keep all mine this year.

Welcome AndyLid - a nice little team building for next weekend there.

Late night treadmill run yesterday, 1% incline - 1 mil wup; 3 mi brisk, 1 mi cooldown - ended up doing the 3mi as a 5k in under 19:30 - a PB for me and still felt strong enough to add an extra 6:37 mile in at the end.

This seems to tell me I don't try hard enough in every 5k race I have done.

10 or 12 this weekend - plan says to go about Marathon Pace - though all advice is that no gains can be made at this time, so why not long run pace and save energy? Maybe it's more a mental fitness than physical one.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm going to parkrun too- I'll try to go fast but with Paris in my legs I'm not too hopeful. Then a downgraded 8-10 Sunday.

My toenails are a disgrace. Some are double thickness or strange shapes  and hard to cut. A few have a fungal infection and are yellow. I'm embarrassed to take my socks off.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO - thanks for that, er, description - but even more thanks for no pics :) 

Gerard - you're right; early days, but the spark flickered after bagging the Champs Start time in his recent half marathon, now he has the time over the full distance, he may go for it. We'll see. 
  • I think I'll join you in the disgraceful toenails club OO although I'm hoping that there aren't too many fungal infections.

I don't tend to follow a particularly rigorous nutrition routine in the run up to marathons - no alcohol for 2 weeks before A races and a big bowl of what gets termed as Superfoods pasta (broccoli, anchovies, pine nuts and chillies) the night before is about as scientific as it gets.

Haven't yet hit the taper madness stage and would strongly advise against fretting about the weather over a week out - the current forecast of sunny with light showers seems to be what we get as a medium range forecast each year! My only symptoms of the taper at the moment are a couple of phantom niggles; one in the back of my thigh that felt better after a bit of rolling and a slightly sensitive Achilles but nothing to worry about.

Managed 5 miles worth of commuting yesterday followed by a similar distance with 6 x 100m strides this morning. I always like to do a parkrun on the weekend before a marathon and generally run it pretty hard; this year is a slight change as I'll be doing a track 5000m in the Southern Athletics League meeting although I'll be running in road shoes rather than spikes to avoid any risks. I suspect I'll be at the back and will just aim for consistency in the lap times. I'll then head out for an easy hour or so Sunday morning.

Is it time to do the role call for the start? Here goes:

Red Start

Blue Start

Green Start

Lorenzo (26694) - red and white British Heart Foundation vest. A goal: sub-3:05 (PB), B goal: sub-3:10 (beating last year), C goal: sub 3:20 (GFA time?)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Red Start

Nicko1981 (58559) - Bald, blue shorts plain white vest (possibly with "Portable Toilets Ltd" logo). A goal: 3:05 (GFA and BQ), B Goal: 3:10 (PB by 2 mins), C: goal sub 3:20 (course PB)

Blue Start

Green Start

Lorenzo (26694) - red and white British Heart Foundation vest. A goal: sub-3:05 (PB), B goal: sub-3:10 (beating last year), C goal: sub 3:20 (GFA time?)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    It's keep-your-nerve time...even the most seasoned performer might feel odd next week.  Be strong...and don't eat too much.  Don't worry about the weather, there's nothing you can do about it. A few years back there was a short but heavy cold shower just before the off in London, which was unpleasant and meant bad windchill. But generally the weather is OK in late April and rarely very windy.

I felt a bit rough yesterday and woke this morning at 0400 with streaming eyes, sinuses full of concrete, splitting headache etc. Bah. If I'd done all the work many of you have put in I'd be most upset, but actually it's not going to make a lot of difference.  Probably going to do Expo on Thurs, then working in London/Brighton on Fri, feet up Sat then several hours of pain on Sunday.  Still debating whether to do fancy dress.

As for Chandos, in the past posters have failed to meet up due to lack of visually recognising folks they only know online. It's tempting to suggest going upstairs right at the far end of the bar on the right where the OO and Lorenzo families have congregated the last couple of times. What do you think?  Its a bit less of a zoo than downstairs.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Red Start

Blue Start

Green Start

Lorenzo (26694) - red and white British Heart Foundation vest. A goal: sub-3:05 (PB), B goal: sub-3:10 (beating last year), C goal: sub 3:20 (GFA time?)
    Poacher (26709) 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Dress and fruit headgear required Poacher!

No black toenails for ages - in fact they're positively photogenic - but I will resist posting a picture!

10 at MP sounds a lot nicko - perhaps 3-5 at the end?

Looking good on the MP DT19 - you just need to let the taper work.

Brighton Expo ("Event Village") today - all quite relaxed down by the beach.  Only the journey there (congestion getting in to Brighton) and the journey back (M25 on a Friday afternoon) got in the way.  Drove past the start and along the first few miles of the course - scary and exciting at the same time! Also drove along the undulations between 5 and 10 miles on the road out to Rottingdean and realised some hill training might have been useful over the last few months ...

Gerard - yes the A-target is now 2:59.  At least, weather and other conditions permitting!  The left hamstring/glute issue has not totally gone so who knows what might happen during the race but given I feel I'm in excellent aerobic shape and the weather is looking reasonable temperature wise (less wind would be nice) it has be worth a go!  So the plan is to cover the first 5 miles in 34 minutes and then see how it feels. If it all goes pear shaped, I'm hoping I can still limp home in a C-target of under 3:20!

I'll do a final run tomorrow morning (the plan says 6K but I may do 8K) before heading down to Brighton early Sunday.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - I hope you smash it! Fingers crossed that wind is not too strong. 

DT - I guess you know what you are doing and you're in great shape. I'd be worried about pinging something in a flat out 5k a week out from an A race like a marathon. I hope it went well.

Birch - Yes, I remember his amazing half time. His next marathon could be sub 2:30 with the way he is progressing. Imagine that? Would be amazing but it sounds achievable to me. :smile:

Park run for me this morning. Very nice conditions. Sunny with a nice cool breeze. Started really warming up by 9:30 but was done by then. Had a decent run with a new pb of 18:47. Finally broke the 19 on that course. It's still bloody tough but 18:3x should be doable with a few sharp sessions planned in the next few weeks. It's getting really hot now, I love the heat, so will do a recovery jog this arvo along the seafront just to catch some rays and chat to my friend, who is making her mara debut next week in the Connemara one.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Weather looks pretty good for Brighton tomorrow on Metoffice page - bit of rain later on but SBD will be warm and dry in the pub by then no doubt. Good luck!

Great parkrun Gerard - that fast in such heat must be a nightmare.

Decided to give parkrun a go this morning; ended up with a course PB of 20:30 and 26th place - it's not a fast time but I'm not a fan of the course really - a 300ft elevation, straight up then back. Not done it in a while so it was 90 secs off PB, fairly happy.

Trying not to look at London temp forecast twice a day....