Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gul it's official- you are ancient! That's fantastic

I took part in a road relay race yesterday. 2 miles at 5:46 pace which was hard, but not on the limit. I fancy a parkrun blast this Saturday, ahead of a 3k track race I have planned on the 21st May. No other road races in the diary until 9th June- it's the famous Blaydon race.

Hope to see some of you at Night of the 10K PBs at Parliament Hill next weekend- anybody going along to watch?

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Cheers DT, enjoy the cricket and good luck with the 10k!

SBD - How did you get on at Silverstone?

4 miles at HMP tonight, came out at 6.42 average. Legs felt fine but effort felt higher then I would want it to be. Hopefully will feel easier on Sunday morning!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul rw towers has found out your real age then , 52 my a**e !
    DT a stacked full race calendar 
    0054 that's a sharp 2 miler .
    Stevie that's a big session before a big race on Sunday ,you should really be taking it a bit easier if racing in 3 days and Good luck Sunday .

nothing today struggling after 1st nightshift  ...

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Leslie - you are probably right, will do a couple of easy miles tomorrow and that will be it then. Will see what happens Sunday!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Nightshifts sound tough Leslie ...

Looking good for Sunday Stevie.

Speedy legs there OO.  Having studied at Durham, Blaydon Races would be good to do one day ...

A busy schedule ahead DT - good luck with the hilly 10K.

Work and other stuff seems to be getting in the way of the running at the moment - most inconsiderate!

So, Silverstone 10K on Wednesday.  An excellent race, great atmosphere but very laid back in a runner friendly way.  Temperature at 14 deg C at the 7:30pm start ideal.  Wind moderate but plenty of faster paced runners to take shelter from.

With a PB of 37:54 from 2011 but not having raced a 10K since March 2017, Sub 39 was the target but anything Sub 40 would have been fine.

First three kilometres came in at 3:45, 3:48 and 3:49 on the Garmin.  We had a tailwind, but I was consciously sitting on the pace for the first kilometre to make sure the HR was in the right zone.

All felt good and a Sub 38 seemed a possibility.

Kilometre 4 was in to the wind and I found myself between groups and having to battle the wind without shelter.  The pace slowed and sadly the HR also dropped and it all started to go down hill from this point.

Tried to pick it up at various over the next 7 kilometres, but it just felt like a painful slog to the finish.

Finished in a chip time of 39:35, which is not too bad, but didn't really enjoy the run after the 3K point!

Even worse, got pipped to an age category prize by 12 seconds by a runner that passed me at the 8K point!

All considered, a good run to add to the mix.  This was the first of eight races in the East Midlands Grand Prix, a mix of 5m and 10K mid-week races over the next two months.  I'd like to run most if not all of the remaining races and would like to have a stab at winning the age-category series prize but we'll see what fate and fortune brings! 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - nice list of races lined up.
    OO - great relay leg.
    Stevie - hope you're taking it easy now before Sunday. Good luck.
    Leslie - just think of the potential WAVA.
    SBD - that's a great effort and a good result all things considered. Hopefully you'll improve through the series and get that prize!
    No lunchtime run yesterday, but did a 9 miler early this morning. 1M w/u then 7 miles progressive (7:35, 7:16, 6:53, 6:42, 6:30, 6:28 and 6:12) and 1M w/d. Followed up by 6 easy miles to work.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

SBD that's a solid effort. I used to run the East midland series when I lived in Olney near MK for a few years. I think Silverstone draws the biggest crowd because you are out on the main track & it's a fast one. Late evening runs are not always the best, so well done!

Some nice pacey stuff there Gul- with I could go that fast in the mornings!  You too Stevie, that looks promising.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Good 2 mile pace oo.

Stevie, that is a bit heavy 3 days out. get your feet up tomorrow!
    SBD , great run. I was looking at results and there was a really good number finishing 38-40 mins. I might pop that on calandar next year. 

I'm looking for a 5 mile race which usually feature in mid week series events. Any in yours? I've seen on runbritain a 5 mile race in leicestrshire about Wednesday 30th July. That works well  for me as my family are on holiday. Do you know anything about that?

Long day today, out at 8.30 for a quick 5 miles following 10 last night, then train at 10.30 for a day at cricket. Managed to hold off drinking until 11.45. Just rounding off now. should hit 40 miles this week though so getting back to normality. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SBD - Well done. Comfortably sub 40 is always a good place to be. Sounded like a tough run though with your target pace but you held it together nicely. 10k's are tricky and can be quite painful if it goes wrong. A very  different kinda pain to a Mara though. 

Stevie - I like your half target. I've never managed to run a good one myself, last 3 have all been low 1:29 but 1:26 sounds doable. 

OO - Very nice pace for your 2 mile relay. Amazing really after your 5,000 track and hard half. Kudos to you sir! 

Gul - Very impressed by your training . You seem to be in great shape. Do you feel good? Niggle free?? 

DT - I'm envious of your race schedule. I've nothing pencilled in for the foresable. 

Leslie - Nice to see you getting your mojo back. Any races planned for the near future? 

I've had a great week of running here the past 5 days or so. A nice balance of road and coastal cliff path stuff with some really pleasant Lunchtime prom runs thrown into the bargain. A few sea swims and leg dips for ice bath therapy too. Sea temps are low 12c even after the very hot weather last weekend, so still quite therapeutic fior runners legs. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Apologies for the flying visit. 21 miles in the bag this morning. 11 @ 8:31 and 10 @ 7:54. Brings up 88 for the week. Probably a rest day tomorrow. All the best to Stevie and anyone else racing this weekend.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hung over parkrun today was expecting bad things but ran 19:08, so not a disaster. Will get out again later to banish the toxins. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You are beasting the miles Gul- mighty impressive 88 and a quality 21.

You should run hungover more often Gerard that is not bad at all. I by contrast went to parkrun with serious intent to get down close to 18 but was nowhere near with 18:26. It at least felt comfortable though there wasn't any more speed in the tank. Added 5 extra miles and with 13 tomorrow should be around 45 for the week. I also passed 900 miles ytd this week which is similar to last year for early May.   

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Wowzers! 

OO - Haha, it wasn't easy sweating the Rioja and Malbec out but I can't be too disappointed with that today. I saw your run on Strava and it looked like you got into a fast groove. Sub 18 is there with fresh legs for sure. 

Had a great hilly run tonight and felt good, so much so I smashed my route pb and wore these new wheels "Adidas Adios Hangover". Very nice feel to them. Have a great weekend all. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gerard - Im seriously considering the adios as my next shoe, be interested to see what you think of them on a long run.

So Stratford half this morning, 1.28.04 on the watch, absolutely buzzing with that. Will write a report later, enjoying a couple of beers now!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Stevie - congrats on a great time! Enjoy the beers.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul you don't look a day over 173.
    GM looking a bit orange there - you've either been guzzling Jaffa Cakes or sharing a tanning salon with Mr Trump.
    Nice work in Keswick by OO. Brutal hills round there and some very hard local runners
    Lorenzo that is an excellent bike trip. Build Africa do good work, I had the honour of going to Kenya to open one of their new schools a few years ago. A humbling experience.

No proper running here, it's peak madness time in the garden design world with vast amounts of outdoor work to do.  Maybe digging, planting, manuring etc count as XT. Off to work in Norfolk soon, then after a rush of blood to the head I have entered what's billed as Britain's toughest road mara (Huddersfield, 7120ft of ascent).  And my first duathlon. Onward and upward into new sporting challenges.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, great parkrun.

Gerard, great hungover parkrun. I'll match and raise you to a 10k in a moment.

Gul,  some incredible mileage there!

Stevie, congratulations on that pb. Great stuff.

so local 10k today which is tough course. According to strava there were 416 feet of elevation gain today. So you'll see above Friday's drinking. Yesterday was my mates 40th. so we started at 5.30 and finished about midnight. Fortunately the 10k has an 11am start which I can jog to. I didn't feel vile but I didn't feel great. 

plan was to just try and run 7mm pace but I knew when mile 1 came in at 6.09 that wasn't happening. Anyway I kept digging away and felt quite sick but held on to something credible. Ended up 39.46 for a 2 second course pb and 5th place. Prety pleased with that in the circumstances. that's 38 miles for week so getting back to it. 

I feel quite rotten now so going to lie down for a bit!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Lol! I only have to look at the sun and I change race! Not your typical Irish man. Blame the Spanish Armada. 

Stevie - Great result! Enjoy the beers and I look forward to the report. 

DT - Very impressive hilly 10k after a night on the sauce. Well done! 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    So Stratford Half Marathon, my 3rd half and the first one I have really raced. Plan was to go out at 6.40 pace and see what happens to set a baseline for summer training.

First 4 miles averaged 6.41, exactly to plan. Effort felt slightly tough but manageable. Quickly settled into a rhythm and seemed to have some good runners around me.

Next mile was a bit up and down and came out at 6.46, was started to feel the effort a bit here. Mile 6 was through my home village where I saw all my family out watching, back on track at 6.40.

Mile 7 and 8 contained a long up hill drag of about 0.8 of a mile, struggled up this a bit and slowed right down. Came out at 6.49 and 7.03.

The last few miles were down an old railway line which is hard gravel but with a slightly lose top surface. Was struggling with traction a little bit but maintaining pace.

Came through 10 miles at 1.07.22. So around 40 secs down from target pace but well under for a sub 1.30 . Decided to throw the kitchen sink at the last 5k as it was flat and basically a straight line. Finished 6.35, 6.37, 6.37 and pulled a sprint finish out on the grass for 1.28.04 and 47th place.

My highest ever race finish outside of parkrun and first sub 1.30! Great route which I would recommend although not sure I would want to climb the hill twice on the full marathon!
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    Gotta love hangover runs. 1.28 half time is excellent well done stevie.

i accidentally left my garmin at work, so not ideal prep for staines 10k, while i had resolved myself to the liberating experience of running just on feel, freed from the shackles of technology, hell why bother even with shoes, shorts and a vest! 

I came down with a bump when i got to the course my club mate stravtheists, went to great pains to remind me that a run doesn't actually exist unless logged in the cloud, i nearly crumbled and borrowed one, but no tempt me not satan.

off i trotted, thoroughly enjoyed the run, came 26th for bang on 40.00. I'm claiming it as sub 40 due to bottleneck at the start costing me a few seconds, but most importantly was 3rd male for woking and we only went and won male team prize! Bottle of wine and a trophy! I've only won one prize thus far in running. I like it. i want more i tells ya!

i think i can go faster, and think a watch would have helped me go quicker but thoroughly enjoyable day
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Great racing and report Stevie. Nice to finish strong like that. 

Richard - Nice 10k. More to come by the sound of it. Well done! 

Feeling onspired by Stevie I decided to jog a half this evening. Very sunny but breezy conditions. Easy effort came out at 1:37:58. Ran in the Adios and they felt good. Longest run in 8 months and 54 miles for the week. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Stevie that's a cracking performance in-spite of Thursdays 4@hm pace , I thought you had blown it after that so clearly more to come .welcome to the sub 1:30 club !
    Poacher the toughest mara sound just what you need .
    DT19 nice sub 40 but best have a nice lie down and recover now.
    Richard good run with no garmin hinder you.
    Gerard nice easy half time ,your in good shape now. I have my eye on 2 races soon ,5 miler and a 5k, might do both might do neither its one of those weeks lol 

Lurgy seemed to be taking a hold this week but didn't really get going in the end and only 7m carded tell a story lol , Birch would be proud of that !

• Some good running over the weekend, most notably the precision of R2, a super 1:28 and change from Stevie, a midweek sub-38 from SBD and some sharp detoxing from GM.

Impressive mileage from Gul, capped by 21 miles before breakfast (I assume!)

OO - I'm planning on being at the night of the 10,000m PBs. What time will you be there. I think I've got your mobile number so hopefully we'll be able to catch up for a beer. What time are you getting there?

Generally easy running for me this week to sandwich a hilly early 11 mile spin on the bike on Tuesday and 50 miles of commuting on Wednesday. Rounded everything off with 14 off road miles this morning to bring up 30 running miles for the week.

Managed a couple of sessions around Loughborough Uni as I was up there for a 2 day course on Friday and Saturday. Plenty of sporty looking young folks around, at least there were when I went out for a short run on Friday evening; there were fewer people first thing on Saturday!

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Good long run Gerard after your hung-over relatively speedy PR.  The Adios need a bit of mud on them ...

Speedy 10K Richard - and welcome to the thread - and enjoy the prize.

Well done on smashing the 1:30 HM barrier Stevie - excellently paced.

Clearly hung-over is the way to go.  So well done on grinding out the Sub 40 DT.  Details of the East Midlands Grand Prix are available at http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/The_EMGP.html.  Quite a few 5 mile races in the series but maybe the locations are all too far south for you?

Well done on entering Huddersfield Marathon Poacher - have you done Snowdonia?

That's a lot of miles Gul - I don't no how you keep focussed without a target race.

15 miles for me today in 1:54 - it seemed like a long way 4 weeks post Brighton.  Brings me up to 59 miles for the week.  I'm hoping to stay at around this mileage for the next couple of months before beginning the 18-week plan for New York.  I'd like to focus on the short distance races (10K ish) during this period - just need the hamstring problem to go away ..,.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Great report and pacing there Stevie - and very impressive just a few weeks after London.

Nice perfect 40 on the 10k there Richard, 

Nice approach to race prep DT - my 10k race record still stands as this time 2 years ago when my start pen warmup consisted of sitting on a traffic island vomiting - maybe it's the way to go. (not done a 10k since - the time was not impressive)

Work has been crazy and organising my mum's 70th on Saturday kept me busy, so didn't get to run midweek. Went out for an early 4 on Saturday before heading up to the party; 7:15 avg felt very easy.

Planned for a 15 mile slow today; but after popping down to check out the Bristol 10k this morning and trying to knock off a bunch from my to-do list; it was 8pm before I got out the door; so ended up just doing 8 down the towpath and back. Surprised with another 7:15 avg and some pretty varying mile paces as I intended to go slow:

7:45, 7:18, 7:11, 7:17, 7:25, 7:06, 6:25, 7:39.

Taking out the warmup/cooldown miles, I'm pretty happy with that, especially the 6:25 where I was trying to catch a runner in the distance.

With only 3 runs under my belt since London, and none over 8 miles, I don't know how Hackney half will go on Sunday - will probably put in a tempo and some speed during the week but doubt anything longer is much of a good idea.

Any thoughts?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice going there, Nicko in a very busy week by the sound of it.

Solid 15, SBD. Funny how a 15 miler can come as light relief during a campaign yet can see a long way between campaigns.

Careless there, R2, tardy!  :D  Great running, well done!

Loving the new trotters, GM. I love Adidas but have swerved the running shoes as they have always come up narrow. Maybe I should risk another go with the new range as they seem wider?

Had a great all over workout on Saturday when I got the chainsaw out and felled and chopped a 35ft tree in my father-in-law's back garden. Loads of logs for my burner now. Can feel the effort today, ouch!

I should have been at the Staines 10k but forgot to enter in time for it. Instead I went for an 8 miler yesterday over a bumpy out and back route.  Averaged 6.52 pace which I was quite pleased with. I want to try and maintain good steady speed over distances like that and carry it into the next campaign.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - decent parkrun and nice new shoes. Is that their real name?! Legs are okay at the moment, if a little tired. Although I'm not running all those midweek MLRs now, the morning doubles have boosted my overall mileage. And the day after a single morning run, my legs seemed to find a little extra. Difficult to gauge at this stage whether it's good overall, but hopefully I'm getting used to running on tired legs. 
    OO - still a very good parkrun and good miles. I am on 970 for the year, which is pleasing after missing 3 and a bit weeks.
    Stevie - excellent! Congratulations on the sub 90.
    Poacher - will you take the opportunity to do some hill training in prep for Huddersfield while you're in Norfolk? White Peak marathon this weekend I think, so it's 2 years since you saw me. Who knows how much I've aged in looks since then.
    DT19  - that's a great performance even without taking circumstances into account.
    Richard - nice work. Congrats on the team prize too.
    Leslie - hope you've shaken that lurgy by now.
    Lorenzo - good week of training. Not too many people around when I went for a run on Saturday either ;) Before breakfast, as always, of course.
    SBD - good miles just 4 weeks post-Brighton. I almost have a target race now (Rother Valley marathon in November).
    nick - nice 10k run. Probably worth not doing too many miles in the latter part of the week, that is if you want to have a crack at a decent time on Sunday.
    GD - nice felling. Good pace on your hilly run.
    Rest day yesterday. Then 9 miles with 8 @ MP early this morning (avg 7:23). GPS has been doing weird things of late and on my run to work it went haywire. I gave up waiting for a signal when setting off. Then after dropping off my backpack, my watch picked up a signal and immediately jumped from 0 to 0.48 miles, and then jumped again to 0.9x just around the corner. Logged an approximate 6 mile steady run.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You really are beasting the miles Gul.

Some great racing at the weekend guys. Stevie, that Stratford half looks tough- you did well!

Lorenzo- it will depend what time my daughter and her boyfriend are racing but I expect we'll be at the Parliament Hill track late PM. Last year we sat on the grass bank just past the finish line which was a good spot. I think we'll be there all evening so should be easy to find you.

My HR was rocketing in a steady LSR yesterday so I'm cutting back a bit this week.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Only just realised how big Hackney half mara is - 20,000 competitors - I thought I was in a nice low key event!

Oh well, the crowds will push me through - bit worried if I still have the stamina. 4 miles @ 6:40 earlier; hopefully can stick that pace for the distance.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good luck Nicko id stick with easy runs until Sunday now, just keep ticking over! Don't follow my lead and do a big speed session 3 days out!

Gul im in awe of the miles you put in but I dread to think what time you head out in a morning! 

DT - Where do you go for your sports massages? I'm thinking of having one to help sort my hip out