Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardM said:
    PMJ - As always, great reporting. Doesn't sound like a particularly quick course with all those turns and different terrain, so a very good run. Is there a fast parkrun that you could do or will it be another "road" 5k to aim for the sub 19? 

Most likely a road 5k. Monday evenings in the summer it is Battersea Park and the Sri Chinmoy 5K Series which are fast and official.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lelise - sorry, our posts must have crossed yesterday. Nice MLR.
    PMJ - ideal for your sub 19 target.
    7 mile recovery run this morning. Most Thursday mornings, like today, I take Miss GD the younger to school, so later to work and did 20 mins of core strength work instead of a 2nd run.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - That's good re the 5k.

Gul - Well done on the core work.

More easy jogging last night with 4 miles to include a short sharp burst of a little hill. Speed sesh today (my first one in a wee while),  1kish warm-up and then down to business. 8 x 200m reps with 60's recovery. hard effort came out at 33 seconds per rep, it was so so warm today. Jogged another kish for a cool down of sorts but could have actually done with a swim instead. Will get out tonight again for a cliff path, off road jog as I'm dropping my boy out West later.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul nice x training , covering all bases good stuff.
    Gerard cracking speed in the heat.

Club session tonight in a warm 21c again, nice !
     5x 5 mins on ,90 seconds static rest , started at 7 m/milling and last 3 were 6:40 felt I could have pushed on a bit harder on the last 2 but no fasties there to push me this week and after 12m yesterday I needed to be careful  !
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice going there, Leslie

Sharp reps there GM but some over use of the "J" word for my liking. Any more of that and you're on a yellow card, young man!

Having a totally full-on week at work and knew going home would be a shocker for getting out due to CNBA. So, I took some kit to work, got changed at the end of the day and dumped bag in the car. Headed out on an 8 mile loop down to Shalford on the trails next to the Wey Navigation and came back on the road. It was pretty warm but the car air-con was a welcome cool feeling on the way home.

Averaged 7.09 pace but really just ran and enjoyed the views. Nice.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I had a similar run on Wednesday G-Dawg, 10 miles just catching up on a tough week. Mine came out at 7:58 average but was a progression from 9+ first mile to sub 7 for the last- my HR was very high again avg. 161. Last night was an easy track session 5*500M. I think I'll take a rest today before a big race on Saturday- The famous Blaydon Race. A fast 5.6 miler from Newcastle city center. A lot of club rivalries at stake with 8000 runners and the coveted V55 title to shoot for. Two junior OOs are also running.

I'm all booked up for New York mara in November and Seville in February. Then planning both Boston and London in the Spring. That's the marathon calendar for the foreseeable...how about you folks?   

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - dare I ask what a kish is? Good hill work.
    Leslie - very sensible, but I bet you were tempted.
    GD - great pace for a trail run.
    OO - good luck to you and OO jnrs at the Blaydon races. Sounds like your racing calendar is filling up fast. When you retire are you going to try and catch Poacher and Badbark up?! (Sorry, I am presuming that you are trailing at the moment, which might not be true...)
    Strange coincidence - 200m hill reps for me too this morning. Well, I say hill but you know what I mean. Did 8 miles with 10 x 200m incline sprints. Then 6 steady miles to work. Forgot to zip up one of the compartments on my backpack and lost half a peanut butter sandwich. Oh well, could have been worse.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Managed to get out for 5 miles last night, legs felt good but the effort was high for 8min miles. I guess that was to be expected with almost 3 weeks off. Need to start getting some consistent training in now before I kick off the Abingdon campaign.

OO - I have Abingdon in October. I haven't booked a spring marathon yet, I'm leaning towards Manchester as I am very unlikely to get another Ballot place. Good luck on Saturday.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO - my marathon calendar is, and probably will remain, blank.  Shouldn't really be posting on here now, I guess.    Super speedy track results, btw - congrats B)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - Jog on! :D Nice trail running, did something similar myself last night.

Leslie - Getting fitter as each week passes. Keep going.

Gul - Sure, what I meant was.......Approx. one km.  :)Good training again, shame about the sandwich.

OO - That's a lot of runners for your race. You've got some cracking races coming up, I'm very envious.

Stevie - Personally I think Manchester is a better event than London, it's becoming more popular each year, it's a fast course and a runners race. I'd certainly do it again.

I managed to get out for another run last night. 4.5 miles off road and cliff paths. My right calf muscle was a bit stiff to begin with but soon loosened up after a km or so. Glorious weather and worked on some really steep climbs. Nothing booked here but I hope to do my local mara in October. Might look at a spring one if I can get round Jersey and stay off the bench. It's the half mara here this weekend, I opted out as I need a break from racing. It looks like it could be warm so I am looking forward to spectating whilst chilling on the beach.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - the time off may have done you good and hopefully you will peak just at the right time for Abingdon.
    Birch - you certainly should be posting here still - we need your words of wisdom. I note you said probably remain blank :)
    GM - okay, I see now! Nothing to do with Kish and his asses, then :) More good hill work. Enjoy spectating on the beach.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    3 progressive miles to collect a car from the station this afternoon. Legs seemed to appreciate a bit more pace as a shake out. 

Hope you weren't too hungry Gul! 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    PMJ good work and a gripping report.

Birch you are still the reigning fast fella on here so no reason to stop contributing. Bask in it.

I am now benched on an indefinite basis. My right foot has gone numb, very strange, the doc this morning took some blood and asked about any family history of diabetes, then got into nerve problems relating to the sciatic area or possibly discs further up the back.  This is all quite painful, and I definitely can't run a step for the time being.  But still going to attempt the sportive this w/e. Not happy, and hoping this doesn't derail the plan to stay ahead of BadBark in the lunatic stakes.

BTW it's Comrades this Sunday. 90km in the mountains, in heat and humidity, and IMO the finest race of all. Respect to all who line up.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher, that's not good news; certainly hope you're not, as you say, derailed for long, and keep on track towards the century. In the meantime, good luck with the sportive . . .  

6 easy for me today.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - nice short progressive run. Fortunately I had some sweet potato and curly kale stashed at work :)
    Poacher - oh no, that's terrible news. Hope it can be resolved speedily.
    Birch - good to bag some easy miles.
    18 miler this morning which turned out as progressive and then a fast finish (last mile 6:17), avg pace 7;53 m/m. 75 for the week and I'll probably take a rest day tomorrow.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Poacher - sorry to hear you are benched. I hear Pilates is good for those sort of injuries, but I'm sure the doctor/physio will recommend something .
    Good luck with the dragon ride, I'm thinking of doing to Gran Fondo again next year!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’m just back from a Madbark style ultra-training session. I parked my car 6 miles from Stormont and began running at 8:30, having only consumed half a whey protein shake and a teaspoon of nut butter. I’d 8 miles completed by the beginning of the Stormont Parkrun at about 9:35. I ran it in just over 20 minutes at about half marathon effort. 

I registered for a 10k race that was due to start at 11 am and kept running around Stormont grounds. The race began a bit late and I’d 17 miles done before the start. We had to run up the very step Stormont hill twice during the race and after a slow start I began moving through the field. I went from about 10th to 3rd overall before the end of the 1st of 2 laps. The first two were well ahead but I was clear of 4th with a few miles to go. I was able to relax and finished a comfortable 3rd and 2nd male having been chicked by a very nippy lady. I don’t know my finishing time yet as I hadn’t reset my watch.

I had to wait around a while before a few photos were taken and I received a prize. This was a jacket which wasn’t ideal as I now had to run 6 miles back to my car carrying it! By the time I reached my car it was 23 degrees and I’d now covered 29 miles. I dropped off the jacket and clocked up another 4 miles finishing 33 miles in 4:24 which was exactly 8 m/m pace average. Those last 10 miles felt more like miles 50 to 60 of an ultra, due to the empty stomach and earlier efforts. All in all, a perfect final training session. Now it’s taper time – phew

I was 153.6 lbs first thing this morning and 147.2 when I returned!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    BadbarkB)     

splendid early 18, Gul 

just 8 here, with a few "surges" (!)   
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Badbark, that's all plain bonkers! I don't know whether to say well done or go seek help!  :D

Sorry to hear about the benching, Poacher. Hopefully just a trapped nerve type of thing.

Gul, I have no idea how you ramp up to that pace on a Saturday morning. Very impressive.

Hit the trails today for a cheeky 15 miler which came out at 7.58 pace. Got to halfway and realised that I only had a just vest and shorts, a small bottle of water with me and a mobile phone in a waist belt. No other fuel onboard. Had three Bourbon biscuits and a cup of tea for breakfast and a belly full of food and beer from dinner out last night.

None of this was an issue, I felt fine, it just showed that I'm totally casual about this sort of run these days, years ago this would have been a big mission. Mind you, Madbark takes this casualness to the extreme! :D

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Bonkers! But then anyone running a 24hr race has to be! ?

Great running guys. I see elsewhere OO raced today.

16.4 miiles for me today. Lots of hills and a bit of a headwind for the 1st 6 or so. Legs felt good today but was very hungover. 7:41 avg pace all felt very easy except for the last few as I began the feel tired. Longest run since October last year. Have a good weekend all. 
  • Out last night for a family 50th birthday party In Uttoxeter and stayed overnight nearby. Went out at 7 this morning for a 10 miler and found the most shitty collection of foot-paths ever. It started well, a mile or so out on a quiet road and then the plan was to join the Staffordshire Way and follow the River Dove north but the next mile or so was nettles and weeds over my head-height. I then changed route and ran along the A50 (the road I was trying to avoid by using paths) and then had to drop down from the road to the footpath about 10 feet below in a cutting. A reasonable section but then the pattern developed with unmarked paths passing through fields with no cutting back of crops. At about 8 miles I eventually had a sense of humour failure and let out my frustration on a gate post and followed roads back. 

12 miles at average 10-minute pace on basically flat paths simply because I was having to hack my way with a stick through nettles. Ended up with legs bright red form the stings, still not calmed down 10 hours later.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sorry, Philip - but I can't stop guffawing  . . . .    
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    . . . .   good long one, Gerard, particularly with hangover

G-Dawg - " Bourbon biscuits and a cup of tea" - breakfast of champions :p
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

That's awful news Poacher- I can't believe it's true for a man of your resilience. How did this come on? You'll have to keep us posted, but I really hope its not as bad as you fear.

Well done Badbark that is really amazing- don't know how you do it!

I ran the Blaydon race yesterday in a cracking time of 33:04 (chip) for the 5.6 mile course. It was very hot but I felt fine and ran a consistent 5:51mile average pace. Even gained a club place (finishing 4th) with an eyeballs out sprint finish. The vet categories are in 10 year bands but I still managed 3rd in the V50 which gets a prize.

I exaggerated the field, there were just over 4000 runners but good quality at the sharp end. Junior OO was 13th lady on her way back from injury (just over a minute behind me) and her big sis was about 5 mins behind. Good day out for the OO clan.

I'm gonna do a 10 mile recovery jog today then have another 3k track race planned tomorrow which may be a bit of a stretch. 

Well done on the long one Gerard- good to stick one in now & then.           

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark -  true Madbark style :) 
    GD - great hilly MLR.
    GM - good to get out and do a longer run.
    PMJ - I sense your frustration. Hope the legs are okay.
    OO - that's brilliant - cracking time indeed. Well done to OO jnrs too.
    Rest day for me today.
  • Much better one today, 10 miles round the genteel countryside of the home counties where farmers reinstate footpaths to be 2 metres wide through fields. Can't say I am a fan of oilseed rape at any stage of its cycle (the yellow flowers are an eyesore, the mature crop falls over in rain and cuts you to pieces, the stubble is tough and unforgiving) but at least with a wide berth it is manageable. 

45 for the week, best total since early March. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    You're flying, OO - excellent !  and great day for the OO family - junior is well and truly back !   

13 with my daughter today - 7:30 start, as she was meeting a friend later (how dare she have a social life)  :)   (4 laps of R.Valley, Gul, and a mile on the trail to finish - I'm doing course familiarisation by proxy)  ;)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - I hope the injury is not serious. 

OO - That's a very impressive time and a great family outfing too by the sound of it. 

Birch - Nicely done too. 

PMJ - That other run sounded very unpleasant. I hate nettles, had a bad experience as a kid I'll never forget. 

Gul - A well earned rest day. 

7 and 3/4's for me today. Lovely sociable easy run along the prom with a pal after spectating at today's half. Brings me up to just shy of 54 miles for the week. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great racing there, OO. Proper impressed with that.

A cracking hangover cure there, GM

Got the bike out for the first time this year today and went with a mate who's training for the Ride London. Cracking ride of 45 miles around Windsor and Ascot way.

I thought my legs might suffer at that distsnce having not ridden for a year but they were fine and was pleased at my overall fitness level. Best have a recovery beer...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Poacher for anybody else it would likely be game over but I'm sure you will be back stronger than ever chin up fella !
    0054 just as well retirement is coming with that mara schedule .
    Badbark probably just whats needed for you now amazing running and winning a coat any other year here would be a godsend with the amount of rain we get but factor 50 would have been more use today !
    Gdawg decent cycle with no training enjoy the beer 
    Parenting duties yesterday as we went to the beach , today  just managed to get 4m in before nightshift and 29m for the week ,My daughter was at junior Parkrun this morn though and we had a swim after to make amends.