Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    OO54 said:

What's you Berlin target Badbark? By the way my 50 mileslast week was all pretty steady apart from the 2*5 Km races- I actually feel I had a mini rest last week which has helped.  

I’m planning on Berlin being my final ever marathon PB attempt. I’m almost 49 years old and the 100+ mile weeks I need to run well are not practical. I’ve a 4 year old daughter that deserves my time a lot more. After almost 10 years of running the gains are getting less and less and becoming harder to acheive too.

I ran 2:48:36 in Chester last year so will be hoping for 2:47:xx.

Your 5k fast times are even more amazing off that mileage!

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Badbark - do you find a big difference between running say 80 miles per week and 100+miles?    Presumably the latter includes a lot of doubles?

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    SBD. said:

Badbark - do you find a big difference between running say 80 miles per week and 100+miles?    Presumably the latter includes a lot of doubles?

Yes, I’ve only once run faster than 2:55 off 70-80 miles and that was after 4 marathons, all three weeks apart, getting progressively faster.  I ran 2:49 and 2:48 last year off 100+ mile weeks and PB’d in 5k/10k/HM within those weeks without a taper.  85% of the mileage was slower than 8 m/m pace.

Yes, a few double days are needed to get the mileage up. 

There is a reason almost all elites from 5k distances upwards, run 100-150 miles a week. It works. :)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    and if you look at their training, from what I see in following fast running on Facebook, 80% is a good 2 minutes a mile slower than mara pace. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    A good start for England last night, shame it wasn't to be. Will it be another 20+ years before they get another chance like this? I drew France in the work sweepstake, but it's not really much of a consolation.
    DT19 - impressive dreadmill session. Elite MP + 2mins is still shifting some - all relative of course.
    GD - ouch! Hope the knee is settling down okay.
    Badbark - 100+ miles a week is a massive commitment. Good luck with your final marathon PB attempt. Berlin is an excellent choice of venue.
    9 miles with 16 x 200m "hill" sprints. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes shame for England and now I have a hangover without a silver lining!! I did put £10 on France pre-tournament at 8/1 so i'm hopeful of a return. No idea how the players can pick themselves up to play in the game no one wants to play in!

5 mile recovery yesterday lunchtime. I was supposed to be at a work function tonight but it's cancelled so got a place on bodypump. Will see how the day unfolds!

Nice session this morning, Gul.

• Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I'm gutted about England but also proud, they have restored pride in the national team and can come home with their heads held high .

Gul - good session, I'm always impressed how you do all these early morning!

Badbark - good luck with Berlin, supposed to be an ideal course for a pb effort! 100 mile weeks is a huge commitment. I'm interested what are your HM/10k PBs?

An hour's strength and core work this morning followed by a 5m easy run. Bit cooler but still felt very humid .

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    0054 17:37 is absolutely flying , your times continue to put us all to shame !
    Gerard looks like a cracking place to be now in those pics.
    DT19 If you want to go even faster restricting the drink to one or two nights a week will undoubtedly help ! I don't bother with it at all now but have the odd urge now and again to have a few.
    Ddawg Ouch, a non running injury ,diy can be dangerous too !
    Badbark I know what you are saying, been spending a lot more time with my daughter recently doing homework and papers as she has the transfer test in November  ,the main reason I only scored 12 mile last week ...I hope you taper for this one to see what you can really do as there has got to be a sub 2:45 with your name on it before you hang those trainers up ....
    My best times in (another lol ) comeback from injury year were ran with a peak of 92 miles and a 5 month campaign averaging 75 a week so mileage definitely does works but then we all know that anyway , doesn't make the sacrifice any easier but if you want it bad enough you will find the time ....

4x1 mile repeats  Tuesday evening with the club about 6:40 pace and 3x10 mins hard this morn (with 2 mins walk recovery) at about 6:50 -7m/mile pace with a decent hill in the middle for extra hurt ,hammy tight by the end again.

I hope to start making a proper comeback after November when I will have more time and hope to stay off the bench before that lol.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I’m also thinking a trip to Jersey with Mrs OO looks like a good idea :)

Badbark, I can fully understand your plans to cut back post Berlin, on account of your running being a bit insane ;) Wishing you the best of luck with your programme.

Thanks Leslie. My 5k tonight is a big one in Sunderland and a fast course. It's so big that they split the field into men and women with separate races, and put the old men (V50+) into the women's race. Fastest woman was last year was 16:49 and fastest male Vet was 17:10. You never know who will turn up on the day but I'm hoping for a top 10 finish and another sub 18.  Let you know how it goes.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great running conditions produced a new PB of 17:35. Waiting for official results but was well down in a quality field. 
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Would be great if you came over to visit. You could show me how to run fast around our parkrun course. :) That 5k time is unreal. Seriously impressive streak, you're on fire! 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Blimey OO!! Were you desperate for the loo? Did you leave the gas on? Did you leave the iron plugged in? That's proper quick, that is, well done, fantastic!

On the other end of the speed spectrum, I knocked out 15 miles at 7.51 pace last night. Had to get the week's longer run done as I'm at Lord's tomorrow watching England v India. 
    It was warm again last night, around 26 degrees when I left. Sapped my energy again but I knew it would so just plodded round.

A 3 mile recovery tonight will see my hit 51 since last Saturday. A lot for me.
    Have a good weekend, all.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - how is it going with the coach?
    Leslie - another good club session.
    OO - 17:35! Fantastic - you are really flying. Congrats on the PB.
    GD - nice pace for your MLR. Enjoy the cricket.
    9 steady miles this morning, which turned into an accidental but controlled progressive (avg pace 7:48/m).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

wow, you are smashing these faster races, OO. Great stuff.

My wife spent a summer working in Jersey as part of her business/leisure management degree and loved it there.

Conditions here today seem as good as they have for running since about May so lunchtime will be 5 mile tempo, aiming for 6.35mm.

Tomorrow will be an early start for a 20. Those 2 runs should see me at around 53 miles again this week, which if I can maintain for all of July will beat my previous highest month in March of 204. Not a huge amount compared to many of you, but in terms of progressing my own training, it's progress.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Further than me, DT. Never had a 200+ month. Good work.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

OO - That is an incredible time, congrats on the PB! You are flying at the moment

DT - That's decent training miles, that's the sort of distance I'm aiming to get to. Only did 1/2 50 mile weeks in the London campaign

Gul - Going really well so far thanks. Doing sessions I wouldn't have set myself and also probably hitting better paces. I do feel I'm light on mileage at the moment but in Jan I was only doing 25-30 miles a week so this is a lot more!

G-Dawg - Enjoy the cricket! Always wanted to go and watch England but never get round to it

Quads are aching today from yesterdays strength work. 6 miles on the plan for this afternoon so will just take it easy.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    OO: congratulations!  That is some turn of speed.  I'm guessing that got you some sort of vet prize, too?
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    StevieWh said:

Badbark - good luck with Berlin, supposed to be an ideal course for a pb effort! 100 mile weeks is a huge commitment. I'm interested what are your HM/10k PBs?

My HM PB is 1:19:53 and 10k is 36:44. So there is a 20 second difference in my HM and marathon PB pace - 6:06 to 6:26. Only 38 seconds between my 5k (17:59 =5:48) and marathon pace. 

Well done on that fantastic 5k time OO! I wish I had your speed.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Badbark - Your conversion from 5k to a marathon is very good. Mine is approx 98 seconds slower! Appalling when I look at it that way. 

DT  - I hope your 20 goes well. I've yet to surpass 19 this year. 

Gul- Nice prog run. I really like those kinda runs. 

Stevie - Hope your 6 went well?

G-Dawg - Enjoy the cricket. Make sure you keep well hydrated! :wink:

Round the Island challenge relay for me tomorrow. It's 48 miles for the run and 40 for the swimmers/kayakers/SUP boarders etc. We have a team of 5 runners with legs ranging from 13-22k, some serious cliff paths and coastal sections but I am doing the last leg which is 13k and mostly road. We've got a decent team and should fair well but it's gonna be very warm with temps forecast to hit high 20's by mid day and I should be running around 1ish, so I will need to manage that well or I could burst into flames! :smiley: Looking forward to this and have a wedding later in the evening. Anyone else racing this weekend? 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That does sound like great fun Gerard sure you will all beast it. Flights Newcastle to Jersey are cheap- we are looking at a short break in October. Any part of the island you’d recommend or are they all good?
    No prize Jools there was a strong field- even beaten by a 60 year old!
    Endclife parkrun tomorrow with the whole family. Will take it easy after 10 mile recovery run today.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - good mileage - have you started your 20 miler yet?
    Stevie - I'm sure I could benefit from some good core / strength work, but I only manage the odd 20 min session before I get bored!
    GM - have a blast at the relay and a great time at the wedding.
    OO - have a good weekend.
    20 miler this morning. 1M w/u @ 8:28,  3M @ 7:4x,  4M @ 7:3x,  7M @ 7:2x, then 7:15, 7:02, 6:53, 6:48 and w/d 7:17, avg pace 7:27. Marathon training for Rother Valley starts tomorrow. Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    If you ran 20 miles Gul didn’t you start already? Great effort!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    back from my holiday - quick read back generates one comment 
    OO - brilliant - many, many congrats - that's a fantastic Age Group time B)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Birch aren’t you in Sheffield? 18:16 this morning at Endcliffe’s 8th birthday parkrun
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done (again) OO - yes, considered popping down, but a laid-back morning lured me after late return last evening. I'll do my "go-to" 6 later, which takes me through Endcliffe  . 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I was flattered with 7th as most of the students are away.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good luck tomorrow, Gerard.

I went to Jersey on a stag night 10 years back in st helier. 

Nice parkrunning, oo.

Tempo yesterday came out 6.33 average for 5 miles. pretty good as it was much warmer when I got out at 2.15.

out at 7.30 this morning for 20. conditions were reasonably in that coolish and misty. I could tell immediately it wasn't going to go well. my nutrition last 24 hours was poor. every single mile was a trudge. at 14 miles I passed a pub that was open. I went in and they gave me water and even offered me snacks. if it wasn't for that I'm not sure id have finished. Battled on for 8.10mm average with pretty consistent miles despite feel crap.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    OO - nice to see you eased up a bit for an 18:16 parkrun ;) Yesterday was the end of my overtraining - now I can take it easy for a bit.
    DT19 - well done on seeing the 20 miler through.
    Birch - hope you had a great holiday in Devon.
    6 easy miles this morning.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    6 felt good on Friday thanks Gerard. The 13 yesterday didn't go as well. Was supposed to be 13 with 6 at 7mm pace, managed 5 at 7s but then my legs went and I finished with a 7.30. I hadn't eaten anything and went out in the middle of the day so my own fault.

Good luck with the start of marathon training Gul

DT that sounds tough, well done on pushing through!

Rest day today, 41miles for the week 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A good 13 mile session non the less Stevie.

Impressive progressive 20 miler Gul.  A good position to be in as you start the Rother Valley training. What's the training plan looking like?

A well toughed out 20 miler DT (I thought for one moment a pint of beer was going to be involved in the story ...) and a solid tempo.

Good luck with the Round the Island Challenge Gerard.

Good weekly mileage and a solid 15 miler G-D - enjoy the cricket.

Well done on the PB OO - that's an impressive turn of speed.  Are you planning to race any 10Ks on the track?

Been feeling very sluggish this week so wasn't looking forward to today's scheduled 18 with 8 at MP.  Had planned to use a local HM race for the last 13 but didn't manage to enter in time.  Really struggled to get the pace going in the first 10 miles (average 8:03 m/m) and had just about convinced myself to bin the planned MP miles and just keep an even pace to the end.  However, with 8 to go the legs decided to give it a go and managed to get through the last 8 miles at 7:04 m/m pace.  Heart rate at 158 still a little below marathon effort level of 165 so not too bad all considered.

69 miles for the week but a lot of sluggish runs in the mix!