Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good running in the heat. The mob event sounds terrific too - bit like a polite version of Shrove Tuesday football.

OO how are the water levels in the rivers up there? I go up to Rosthwaite every summer to kayak back to Keswick - a glorious trip but concerned that the river might be too shallow.

5m run this morning. The foot is not happy. Might be back to the drawing board. Doh
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

That's bad news on the foot Poacher - hopefully a minor set back.

An excellent place for an 11 mile plod OO - so no diversion to Cat Bells?

Good early miles Birch - easy on the partying!

Lunchtime MLR sounds tough DT.

Good easy miles Gul.

14 miles MLR tonight.  I was anticipating a very slow run but it turned out quite well!  Although 26 deg C at 8:00pm a gentle breeze kept the conditions reasonable.  Slightly progressive at an average pace of 7:39.  Almost a normal MLR run and good to get a reasonable mid-week MLR under the belt.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ve never seen them so low Poacher. The waterline on Derwentwater is about 50 meters back from normal. You can virtually walk round most of the lake. Not 100% sure on the rivers.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Poacher - That's a shame. Hope it heals up soon. 

OO - I bet it's lovely up there. 

SBD - Nice run!

Similar here, was meant to be out for 2hrs but settled for 13.5 miles,6 along the promenade and the remainder off road on the trail path, 7:40 avg. Very warm and windy again and it felt more like a long run after 4 weeks of no long runs. 29c today, recovery plod planned later. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - yes, you could certainly do with a hat in the middle of the day for an 8 miler.
    Birch  - nice run. Have a good day today.
    OO - good plodding.
    Poacher- oh no! Hopefully just a temporary setback,
    SBD - well done on the MLR - decent pace too.
    GM - that's a long run in 29C.
    11 miles @ 7:30 m/m this morning. Forecast here is for 31C today and 32C tomorrow. Glad I'm getting out early in the morning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

good running all!

8.2 miles over lunch. It didn't actually feel as oppressively hot a sit has done. Not only did I forget my hat but also my suncream! Seemed to survive though. Bodypump last night to tick that off for the week. Planned a rest day today, which I'm reasonably happy about then something light with strides on Friday.

The wind forecast has worsened again, now up to 17mph with 30mph gusts. One day i'll race in semi neutral conditions!!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

DT - I have zero hair on the top of my head now but even if I had, I would always wear a cap. I didn't realise that your race was so close. What's the course like? And the forecast?? Enjoy your rest day.

Birch - Any well known bands playing at the festival? Have fun!

Gul - 7.5 for 11 is nice. My run was yesterday and it wasn't as hot as that but still around 25c.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's a very flat, fast course. last year's Strava traces have it consistently at around 50 feet of elevation gain for whole thing. 

Temp is forecast at around 17c with even some possible rain. The wind forecast at 17mph is an issue as it's a 5k out then back so first 5k it's a straight on headwind. That could still change of course. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - not heard of any of them - but guess that's why its reasonably priced !  Which is a good job, as not going now until (hopefully) tomorrow - outside issues interfering !   
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - you have to worst luck with weather with races! I'm glad we are not doing the same marathon   :D 

Leg & core exercises followed by 6 miles tonight. Also planned my prep races with Lewis yesterday. So a crack a parkrun in August, Stratford 10k 9th September & Cheltenham half 30th September. Should set me up nicely!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie.....I'm currently considering Cheltenham half as a mara pace effort pre York. Apologies in advance!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

I'm planning on running Cheltenham as an MP run as well!  Has anyone run this before? Trying to get a feel for how undulating the course is.

6m miles recovery this evening after a painful lunchtime sports massage.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Going to be a thread day out! I haven't ran it before but last year's winner ran 1.10 and there were 20 sub 80 runners so it can't be too hilly
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - enjoy your rest day.
    Stevie / SBD - Cheltenham's a bit too far away for my liking. A thread day out sounds fun.
    6 easy miles this morning in the middle of the thunderstorms - it was lovely to get drenched, even if it was only intermittent showers.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

oh, this does sound exciting.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1209839696

I don't think it is overly hilly, 450 feet of elevation gain is about average for a half (that's isn't billed as being pan flat).

Rest day was good albeit I was left a little bored with an additional 1-2 hours in my day!

Probably 4 with strides over lunch. Wind forecast appears unchanged though temp is now down to 16c....brass monkey weather comparatively speaking!!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I was part of a team that set the 100 x 10k Guinness world record at Cheltenham athletics track some years ago. It was a work thing, 100 of us had to take it in turns to carry a relay baton around the track for 10k each. It went on all weekend. I had to drive from Woking to Chelters at 4.30am to do my stint. Was good fun and I can claim I was a world record holder for a while.

Rest day yesterday as work had me at a meeting in Preston. Fun on delayed trains morning and evening.

20 miles nice and slow tomorrow. Sort of looking forward to it.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Looks a good profile, no major hills but there is a sting to the finish! I imagine my half pace and your MP are quite similar DT. Hoping to go sub 1.25

8 mile tempo to do this evening, going to be a warm one again!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

You might be closer to SBD, Stevie.

I will aim to run it at 6.45 pace, however in the Solihull half in April I got a bit bored at 10 miles and thought it fun to rip through the field so came in at 6.37 pace which was low 1.27. Sub 1.25 requires sub 6.30 pace which will be too fast for my mp. Unless of course the weather drops to 10c and I find that ploughing through in this hot weather has led to huge training gains!

Looking at the profile the first 3 miles are downwards which is always good to get into the swing of it and settle at planned pace. Looking on strava and the various flybys, the gps measurements wildly fluctuate from 13.12 to 13.41. There is no consistent measure at all.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

DT - Re your 10k -  go for it, the course sounds good.

Birch - I hope you managed to get away and are enjoying the festival.

G-Dawg -  Not sure where Woking is exactly but Preston sounds far away. My office commute is 0.78 miles.

Stevie - Not sure I like the look of Chelters half. Did you read the comment on the Strava link?

Gul - We had thunder storms last night. Came down just as I finished an easy 4 miler. Felt lovely.

SBD - Sports massage....now there's an idea. Do you have them often?

4 recovery miles for me last night and then 5k on lunch along the prom. The wind has finally dropped a bit and I had no idea what sort of run o do so on the hoof I decided it would be a gear shift exercise. 1st mile target pace 8:00/actual pace 7:56, 2nd mile target pace 7:00, actual pace 6:58, 3rd mile target pace 6:00/actual pace 6:04 and then 4:5x for the last .11 of mile. 1st time I've felt decent in about 5 weeks. Should scrape about 30 for the week before I head off on holiday on Monday.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    GM - Woking is in Surrey. They call us the heart of the Stockbroker belt on the news but most of us aren't on that sort of money. The house prices are eye-watering! It's ideally placed for access to Heathrow and Gatwick as well as 25 mins train ride to Waterloo. Also home to the finest non-league football team in all the land (see badge in Avatar).

It rained here a moment ago, people excitedly rushing to the windows, just like witnessing the first snow of winter!

Still on a rest day...
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Nice location (I used to work in Farnborough) but not sure about the football team G-D!

Don't you just love the rain Gul!

Good to see you're finding some speed Gerard.  I find I need the sports massage every 2/3 weeks during the marathon training otherwise I pick up an injury.

It's good that Cheltenham is not pancake flat (Ealing was the alternative) as New York is far from flat!  Do you need a Strava account to see the profile information on your link DT?  MP will hopefully be in the 1:25-1:27 range depending on how the training goes.

Rain and only 21degC here at 8pm - beautiful!  12 miles steady at 7:38 pace - felt so much easier than any other run over the last 3 weeks!

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great running Gerard - nice to hear the legs are coming back!

GD - im hugely impressed you found 100 people at work to run a 10k! 

Nice miles SBD - I think you need a Strava account to see that link. 

No rain here but did seem cooler but still muggy. 8 miles tempo went well, Garmin died just as I started the cool down and I've left the charger at work! I think average was around 6.40 again. 

Rest day tomorrow and off for a few beers for a stag. Will do my 14 miles Sunday afternoon. Have a good weekend everyone!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard decent turn of speed there enjoy the holiday.
    SBD nice 12 in cooler temps.
    Stevie speedy 8 there.

Club session yesterday 2 x 15 mins hard with 3 mins easy jog in the middle and only 26c .

7 m/mile on the outward leg and nearer 6:45 on the way back in but effort level was high for that pace and 5 mile easy jog along side my daughter on her new bike today who yesterday couldn't even cycle unaided more than about 10 metres ..Progress !

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, SBD. I assumed it was open to all. I'll screenshot the elevation chart later and post it up. Nice 12.

Nice tempo Stevie and good club run Leslie. 

Just back from race. 14c and lashing with rain during warm up. Settled a bit for start. Official time was 38.23 for 6.09mm and 13th place . 5 seconds off a pb but as I said in week my pb was on a course that was on short side of accurate and at 6.23 this was on long side so I had to run about 80m further today.  That's the fastest garmin average pace I've held on a 10k. Also this weekend last year I ran a flat 10k in 39.46 so I'm further forward than then. 

I also beat CJ de Mooi off egg heads who ran 39.00. He looms like a professional athlete, obscenely lean and cut. I won't say on a public forum how I think a man in his 40s can suddenly get that look. 

All in all a successful morning I think and it's a good 10k time put down for the year. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking work DT, congrats on a great time and position.

Got a 20 miler out of the way this morning. Pretty much an out and back route but with a loop around the lake at Virginia Water. It was a bit cooler today but still 20 degrees and warm for me. Ignored the watch and just ran on feel as my legs felt tired today. Anyway, average was 8.06 and happy to get it done. Recovery tomorrow and a cutback week coming next.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,I'm an often reader of this thread but always felt you guys are too fast for me to join in with.
    I'm a 1:29:40 HM,achieved 6 weeks ago(done it twice) but I've had achilles tendinitis since January that has caused me to ease off my training but still keep on running.
    Because of this the most I can manage is about 45 miles p/w.On low mileage do you think it's possible to convert to a 3:15(current pb 3:31 Oct 17) I don't do any cross training and to be honest I don't have any inclination to do it,so suppose I am asking do you think it's achievable or should I settle for a lower goal?
    Thanks in advance.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Ian. Hope the tendinitis gets better soon. I only average low 40s per week when in campaign and my PB is 3.09 and 1.25 for a half, so your volume shouldn't be an issue.
    Stick around, some good folk speaking sense on here.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Nice long running GDawg.

Ian, for London 2016 I followed the run less run faster schedule. I recall calculating it a while back and my average mileage over the schedule was 27 or 29 per week. I ran 3.08, having run 3.18 in 2014. it was possible for me.

Anyway  I don't consider 45 mpw low mileage if you did that every week and that isn't just your peak mileage. Mine is currently averaging 50 a week. The trick is to find that sweet spot which you can maintain without injury. 16 weeks at 35 miles a week is better than 3 at 45, 2 off injured, 5 at 45, 2 injured etc. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT19-I get your point about consistent mileage,I struggled a bit with that Feb-April and was yo-yoing so between April and June I went for 8 weeks between 31 and 42 miles average just over 35,I then done 3 weeks between 35&40 with no Ill effects and just finished the 2nd week of 40-45,if next week goes well then I'll step up to 45-50 for a few weeks and see how that feels.Nearly all my runs are at easy pace(8.35-8.50) as I don't want to increase the speed at the same time as mileage.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    As said Ian, it’s certainly possible but stick around for good advice from lots of experienced people here.
    Just back from hols and catching up on some great sessions and races. 
    Its the c13.5 mile Northumberland Coastal run tomorrow. Several headlands, beaches, paths and grass sections. The forecast is for rain and strong headwinds the whole way. Time is unimportant, it will be a character race with club pride and vet placings at stake. I was 2nd V55 last year. 
    Final preps today with a steady parkrun in Keswick. 20:18 and 8th overall.

See you on the beach at Beadnell Poacher...