Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Amazing form there Badbark. You sound well up for Berlin. Congrats on another win.

I was out and about with work yesterday. Got on a train at Euston, almost literally bumped into Rio Ferdinand on the concourse.
    Arrived at Crewe and a bloke got off the train who was the spitting image of Yaya Toure. I mentioned it to my colleague who then confirmed it was Yaya as his watch was worth about £25k. He had a load of family with him including about 5 young teenagers. My fashion conscious pal then noticed their trainers.

After recent comments on here regarding cheap running shoes, get this. The kids were all wearing Balenciaga trainer style shoes. The models they were wearing varied between £495 and £615 per pair! The kids must have had around £3000's worth of trainers on! I bet they've never run a step in them.
    I guess when you earn upwards of £250,000 per week, such prices are inconsequential?

Five days into my 7 day streak. Just did 4 miles of some steady fartleks last night (6.52 avg) and 6 steady trail miles at 7.09 pace on Tuesday. More steady stuff tonight and around 15 miles of easy tomorrow.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - all bodes well for Berlin. You are obviously on top form.
    Birch - nice way to celebrate reaching the next perfect square.
    GM - hope you enjoyed the easy run. My average 7 day resting heart rate is still rising (49 now), so not started to recover yet. Not sure I totally trust the wrist HRM though as my avg HR for today's run was 121 (not).
    OO - is that a long run or long swim planned for this morning?
    GD - no idea who Yaya Toure is (until I just googled him), so you can tell I'm not a big footie fan. Good streak btw.
    13 miles this morning. 1M w/u @ 9:09, 6M @ 8:24 and 6M @ 6:56.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Great 10k, OO.

Happy birthday, Birch.

G-Dawg, yes it comes to a point on that income level where you must surely struggle to make even a dent in the money each week. I was driving my son home from rugby training last night and some youths were stood outside the co-op. My son excitedly pips up that one of them looked just like John Stones or Dele Ali. I prodded a little further and he claims that they both look very similar just Dele Ali has a better sun tan. The imagination of 8 year olds!

I went out for an mlr/mp combo run yesterday afternoon. Started with 5 miles easy, then 3 at mp (average 6.47) then 2 miles easy. Home for a quick stretch then bodypump.

I am now going to taper....though I am on 193 miles for the month so will be getting to 200. Planning perhaps easy 5 today and 3-4 tomorrow. I am also on 37 for week due to sundays long run and will do 16 sunday with wu and cd so this could well end up my highest ever mileage week which I think is currently 61.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It was a long run Gul, 18 easy this morning avg.8:43 pace. My legs are ok after the 10k. I'll jog parkrun this week and do my first run at xc in the afternoon.
    I hate xc of course but agreed to support this team event.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul regarding the Toure clan it's up to each family how they spend their money but I can't help feeling those kids will not benefit in the long term from being so spoilt as kids. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Badbark, I forget to give you acclaim in my post above. I look forward to seeing what Belin delivers and assume/recall the target as being sub 2.45.

That will get you a champs place for London 19. I am not sure if you have run London, though assume you will have, but the luxury of champs place would surely have to be taken advantage of??

5 recovery over lunch at 8.32mm was just what I needed. My garmin told me I have run 63 miles in last 7 days. I feel like I am at that stage of the cycle now where I am ploughing through (for me) high end volume and waking up the next morning untouched by it.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - great mileage and all very positive. Enjoy tapering.
    OO - hope the XC isn't too gruelling. Hopefully it hasn't been raining?
    8 steady miles with 8x100m strides this morning (avg pace 7:53/m). Makes 287 for August (avg pace 7:43). Estimated VO2 Max on my watch is slowly creeping up (now 54) - never had one of those before. Average resting heart rate still a bit high (49).
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Birch happy belated birthday and I hope you got some nice runners or even some cash to put a deposit down on some ! You son will be spurred on  now for a sub 16 after that .
    Badbark top form, another sub 3 and the win ,you should do well in Berlin.
    0054 a cracking 10k you are really on form must be getting it too easy now you are retired lol.
    Stevie another killer session ,hope you can get a great race in while on form.
    Gdawg those trainers were probably freebies as well from sponsors ,how the other 1% live eh, nice fartleg.
    DT isn't it great to be fit where miles can just be shrugged off.

4m easy last night even without the backpack I was still running 10m/mile  ,got 4 hill sprints in though. 1/2 on Sunday and after 6 days of no miles I think I will just be jogging round struggling to get the miles in this time.
    #overthehill 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Leslie - I've got a 10k next weekend, its a flat course so I'm hoping for a big PB. I'm sure you are not over the hill yet! Good luck with Sundays half

Gul - Good miles and a huge monthly total!

DT - Good luck with the half on Sunday. Is it a PB attempt?

OO - Good luck in the XC, still not sure I fancy doing it but may change when I eventually join a club!

10 easy miles for me last night and 5 planned for this afternoon. Will take me to 223 for the month which is my highest ever by 20 miles. Off to London for the weekend so will enjoy a run by the Thames and round Battersea & Hyde parks on Sunday morning. 16 miles with 5 at HMP on the plan.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good sessions from Stevie, Leslie, DT and Gul. nice.
    Only an endurance athlete can claim a resting heart rate is "high" at 49! :smiley:
    Regular folk would think such a low HR would require jump leads to get the person started in the morning.
    Mine bounces around the 42 mark of late.

As mentioned, I can't train this weekend, so I was forced into a 7 day streak. Got 15 trail miles in before work. 8.08 pace and could feel the week in my legs, including last nights 5 miler at 6.49 avg.

Today I hit three firsts:
    First 7 day streak
    First 200 mile month (202)
    First weekly mileage over 60 (Sat to Fri) 65 miles.

Happy just to get through all that relatively unscathed and now looking forward to 3 days of drinking beer and eating chocolate in Bruges.

Have a good running weekend, team!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Gul, very good mileage for August!

Leslie, sorry to hear you are still struggling.....at least you will be well rested for sunday.

Very good mileage, Stevie. Enjoy London.

Enjoy the xc, oo, though it's not going to be classic xc weather/surface. Stevie, xc once you get into it is really good fun. Though it does leave me tired and sore and affects what I can do on a Sunday.

Sunday will be a pb attempt. I've felt I was in pb shape in March before it all got snowed off, then run at pb pace for Liverpool only to be cut short due to measurement errors, then missed a pb by 20 seconds in Wilmslow in June on a ridiculously hot day, so now whilst it looks set to be warmer than i'd ideally like, it is at least forecast to be still. I ran it last year in 84.23 which was a pb then so i know what I need to do.

just planning 4 miles with strides later to round off the month at 202 for my 3rd highest month ever. Additionally that'll put me on 46 for week so with a 2 mile wu and a nominal cd on sunday this will be my highest ever week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Hope you get it DT19. I'm also doing heavy miles but waking up every morning with very stiff legs.

Congrats on the milestones G Dawg I'm sure you'll see the benefits. 

XC is just a 2 mile relay leg. So I'll do a gentle parkrun as a warm-up :)

Enjoy London Stevie, I'm due a visit...

Good luck with the half Leslie, hope you get a nice surprise. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    x post- G-Dawg. Some great stats. Enjoy Bruges!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Birch – Happy Birthday! Good interval session done.

Stevie – Excellent session, quicker than I could manage.

GD – Nippy paced steady running!

OO – Nice LSR completed on post-race legs. I hope you learn to embrace and enjoy XC, personally I love them.

DT – Great MLR, recovery running and weekly mileage. I write about my marathon goal below.

Gul – Good 8 miler and monthly mileage. You’re average pace is very close to mine.

Leslie – Enjoy the Waterside half!

Unfortunately, there is no indication in my training that I could manage a sub 2:45. My PB is 2:48:36 and my goal is to beat that by at least 37 seconds for a 2:47.

My best race recently was a 37:17 10k, which according to the Fetch race calculator equates to 2:51:23. My recent Parkrun of 18:21 only equates to 2:55:52. However, obviously these were done untappered so I expect better. A good reference would be that I ran 18:22 at the same Parkrun last year, just before Chester when I ran my 2:48. So I'm in a very similar shape and hope the flatter course will gain me a minute.

I'm running a half marathon next week which I'm going to use as a final pace indicator.

I’ve done a recovery run the last two mornings at around 8:40 to 8:50 pace. My legs needed them after the marathon. However, in true Madbark style I’ve a 5 mile race tonight. Hmmm, I expect a 5 mile personal worst! :D

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I guess that's the same weekend as Great North Run Badbark, which I'm doing? I've not run well there the last 2 years but hoping for a 1:22:XX on current form. I ran a 68 mile week last week and should get close to 60 this week. I'll taper next week for GNR and throw in a few swims and walks to keep my weight steady. 

In any case 2:45, 2:48 are both incredible times I can only dream of. Hope you pull it off...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Badbark, I would say that whilst these calculators caveat their predictions with the fact that they are made on the assumption that you have suitably trained for the distance, I would suggest that you are so far the otherway in terms of specific training that you would be prepared for the marathon distance beyond what a calculator would have assumed and are certainly better trained for a mara than a 5k or 10k.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    DT19 said:
    Badbark, I would say that whilst these calculators caveat their predictions with the fact that they are made on the assumption that you have suitably trained for the distance, I would suggest that you are so far the otherway in terms of specific training that you would be prepared for the marathon distance beyond what a calculator would have assumed and are certainly better trained for a mara than a 5k or 10k.

I know what you are saying but I’m thinking about previous campaigns too. I ran over 100 miles a week for a month before both London and Chester last year. As I mentioned my shorter distance times in races around these times are very similar to what I’m running now. I ran 2:49 in London and 2:48 in Chester, with just a 30 second improvement between the two. Chester was the hardest I have ever run in any marathon and I was practically in tears at the end.

So I can’t see how I’m expected to improve by 3 ½ minutes and break 2:45. That’s more than four 39:00 10k’s back to back! 6:17 m/m for 26.2 miles – gulp. :):smile:

Edit -
    OO - My race is next Friday night - the Killyleagh HM. Good luck in GNR!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Badbark, for me I tend not to look at 5 and 10k times when judging how I might fair in a marathon. I limit it to half performances.

An irritation of mine is how easily people (including runners) just think that large chunks of time can easily be absorbed in a marathon and lost within the distance. As you point out to improve by 4 minutes, you have to run every 10k  a minute faster which is 10 seconds a mile. For me 10 seconds per mile is the difference between my 5k and 10k pace roughly. I appreciate as you move further down the aerobic range 10 seconds doesn't have that critical an impact, however it's still a reasonable step up.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I've been working from home today. It's given me the opportunity to track a couple of pals doing the UTMB event around Mont Blanc. They're doing the CCC version "only" 100km.
    A colleague at work is over there too with her husband. He's about to start the 100 mile event. Totally nuts!

Give it a look online, it's insane!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I was going to say I agree with DT but Badbark knows his body but that point has been made! I agree with the 5k/10k time not being predictive of a marathon time. For example my 5k time is 12s quicker then what Badbark is quoting but I don't think I'd be near a 2.48 in the marathon!

G-Dawg - Those runs are simply incredible, I can't imagine even considering it let alone standing on the start line!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

I ran the 5 mile race tonight with legs feeling heavy from the start, after Wednesdays sub 3 marathon. However, as the race progressed I felt stronger and kept moving through the field. The race had a 120 foot climb from 2 miles to 4 then you get it all back in ½ a mile. With about 1 ½ miles to go I overtook a friend who told me I was now 2nd Vet and that a guy called Sam was 1st about 50m ahead. 

I knew the prize for first Vet (everyone over 45) was £35, the same as the overall winner. So I kicked it up a notch and kept closing the gap to Sam. By the course peak at 4 miles I was only about 10 m behind. I seem to be a good downhill runner and went passed Sam half way down the hill. 

Two years previously I’d been out sprinted in the same race by another Vet, who took the only vet prize. I’d overtaken him on the downhill before he passed me back in the last 10 m. I was determined not to be beaten this year and gave it everything. I overtook another two people near the end completing the last mile in 5:16 thanks to the steep hill.

I had it confirmed at the end that I was indeed 1st vet and received the £35. I got talking to Sam and found out he was actually the very person who had outsprinted me two years before! We had a good chat and laugh about my sweet revenge!:) 

My time was 30:24 which is the fastest I’ve done that course. What a great way to finish my highest ever mileage month of 461 miles! :D 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    The 461 mile month -
    10 w/ 5 x 1 mi @6:17 ave 10
    13 mlr 13.1
    10.5 w/ 10x10 sec hill sprints + car 11.1
    22 including Parkrun 18:26 -  1st finisher 22
    10.5 e + Charlottes Junior Parkrun 21 - Marathon wristband - 15:23PB 11.8
    12 e + 12 e 24
    10 e + car 10.7
    EAMS marathon 3:06:23 - 1st place - HR ave 131 - 64 VO2Max 28
    10 e 10
    11 e + 10 strides  - Leg weights - 2:50 plank 11
    Castlewellan Parkrun 18:44 + e 20.3
    5k recovery 3.1
    11 e + 6 e 17
    12 e double to and from work 24.1
    9.4 e + car 10.2
    13 w/ 6 x 1 mi @ 5:56 ave 13.1
    10 e  + car 10.6
    21 inc Parkrun 19:19 + upweights 21
    11.1 inc 10k race +legweights - 37:17 my time - short at 5.9 11.1
    12.5 e double to and from work 25
    11 + 6 double inc 10x12 sec hill sprints 17
    10.8 + 5.2 double 16
    12 w/ 6x1 mi @ 6:01 ave 12
    9.4 e + car 10
    24 inc Parkrun 18:21 - fastest since 2015 - upper body weights 3:05 plank 24
    Storming the Castle 10k 37:31 + 7 e 13.1
    4 ve + leg weights    4
    8.4 e  + car 9
    EAMS Marathon 2:57:29 + warmup- 1st - 139 HR 28
    7 recovery - 8:51 pace 7
    6 recovery + car then 5 mi race + warm up  14
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    A very satisfying victory Badbark, your powers of recovery are immense and a 5:16 mile unnerving. As a v55 I don't like races with 1 vet prize!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    assuming it measured bang on that's 6.05mm so sub 38 10k pace as well. impressive stuff!!!

4 with strides last night. just going to sit on a spin bike this morning to lightly work legs to get the blood flowing. 
  • Leslie - good determination. Keep plugging away. Hope the half goes better than you expect.
    Stevie - enjoy the weekend and the 16 with MP.
    GD - great stats. Enjoy a well earned break in Bruges.
    DT19 - hope the conditions are ideal tomorrow - go smash that PB!
    Badbark - excellent victory - what a way to finish the month! That schedule is just unbelievable. Can't wait to see how you get on in Berlin.
    20 miles early this morning (4:00am start). 10 @ 7:57 and 10 @ 7:14.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    that's not 'early this morning that's last night in my books......nice work though. 

thanks....it's of course a bit warmer than it has been the last few weeks but not as bad as in the peak summer. 
  • Badbark - Great run so soon your marathon. I love running downhill. Whatever happens in Berlin I'm sure you'll do really well. Hopefully the conditions are better than last year. I can't comprehend how you find the time to do all that training in one month. 

Gul - Unreal 20 at that hour. 

DT - Good luck for tomorrow. It's got hot again here too. Hopefully It won't be too bad when you're on the course. 

OO - Hope the XC goes well, you might surprise yourself with your current form. 

G-Dawg - Two of my pals are doing the UTMB. One finished the CCC and the other is doing the full distance ultra. Doesn't appeal to me at all. For us mere mortals it's more like a very long hike. The elevation and technical parts really limit running. I much prefer trying to run at a decent clip as opposed to crawling up a mountain. 

Brought my LSR forward and did 20 yesterday. 7:39 avg, all very easy pace except for the last 4 which were about 7:10 avg. I will do a recovery jog later and similar tomorrow and that will take me to 60 plus for the week. Much better than last week's 12. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good luck to tomorrow's racers - OO, DT ??    

love the breakdown of the month's miles, Badbark . . .      

good 20's  Gul, Gerard

first parkrun as a VoGit64 today - sandwiched in the middle of a 10.5 miler -  23:53, so about Gerard's "easy 20" pace !!  :)    still, I'm ok with 2nd VoGit, as I'm now in the final year of the category, and 69.57% WAVA means I'm only a fraction off my personal minimum level of respectability B)  . . . .     
  • OO – Yeah, I think I must have Wolverine like powers of recovery. :)

DT – Well done on the spin biking. I think that getting the blood flowing is better than total rest.

Gul – Excellent very early morning 20 miler!

GM – I get up at 4:30am every morning to get most of the miles in early. That’s a great 20 mile run completed and good weekly mileage.

Birch – Nice respectable parkrunning! 

I went out for a recovery run this morning but started thinking about how many miles at MP I’d run in training. It dawned on me that I’d barely run a mile at MP, with just over 2 weeks to go to my race! So my recovery run became a 13 mile easy run + Parkrun at MP.

Unsurprisingly this was quite tough following the 461 mile month and race the night before.

I ran most of the Parkrun at about 6:20 pace but then got drawn into a bit of a race over the last ½ mile, including a sprint finish. I won the tussle and finished with 19:21, so a good workout on tired legs.

I’ve been out today over eating and drinking for the last time before Berlin. >:)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That really is a cracking effort Gerard I’m mighty impressed. Less impressed with the wasps though!
    Respectable indeed Gul!
    XC was ok. Parkrun much more enjoyable as I volunteered as a 21 min pacer- not as easy as it sounds...
    14 tomorrow will give me 60 for the week