Sub 3h15

Comments

• Nicko that sounds a great event! One I'll think about for the future!

DT - Thats a good 5 with the lower HR. Looking good for target at Yorkshire. Didn't you already have the Vaporflys? I had a look at them as I got the presale through the app, wasn't sure if the price was justified though!
  • edited September 2018
    Great report Nicko - I love running and enjoy a glass of wine or two but somehow the thought of combining them doesn't feel great.
    Got my application in for Boston next year and then had dinner this evening (in the House of Lords! :smile:) with a group including a couple of Americans who live in Boston so have managed to get some tips, along with the offer of floor space if hotels are all booked up - a good day all round.
    Mile cutdown this morning to follow on from a steady state run on Monday and 8.5 miles of commuting yesterday.
    Anyone else doing the Wimbledon Road Relays on Saturday?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, sounds like a productive day!

Stevie, my justification is very simple. Would a cyclist who races at our level consider £210 for decent racing tyres and tubes as expensive (not to mention the actual wheels)?

Thanks for doing my amends to  race list. 

Yes already had vaporflys but these are 2nd generation now. I'd love to do my staple 5 at mp in them but at that money they are very much reserved for A grade races. 

Looks like wind is picking up into weekend to make things harder than they should. 
  • Sounds like a great day Lorenzo!

DT that's a good point and I agree. My only reservation with the Vaporfly's is the 10mm heel drop. Ever since I got the On Cloud Xs which are a 6mm heel drop I realised I prefer racing in a lower drop shoe. Would still love to give the Vaporflys a trial though. Spent a while yesterday wondering how far I could run the On Cloudflash racing flats, will see how my feet feel after the marathon in the Xs first!

14 miles @ 7.58/142HR yesterday, legs were feeling really good. Average HR was probably a touch lower as my HR strap through a wobbly and recorded a max HR of 182 for a minute or so!

• Looking forward to hearing how the Vaporflys worked DT. I wear mild support shoes (Asics GT2000 v6)  but am wondering if I should try neutral shoes again as I've not had a gait analysis for years. My off-road shoes (Inov8 Talon 250) are low drop and neutral and actually cause me no bother.

Good luck with the Boston application, Lorenzo. If you get in, sort the accommodation ASAP. The hotel prices are astronomical. It cost me an arm and a leg but the whole Boston experience was absolutely incredible.

Just 6 miles last night but kept every mile to within 2 seconds of 6.44. Legs are feeling tired again as I've ended up on another 7 day streak. Tonight will take me to 60 miles and that's with only 30 miles since Monday as part of a cut-back. haven't been to the track for a while, so to mix it up and relive some running boredom, I'll be joining the 10x800 session with a 2 mile warm-up.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    g-dawg, I used to use the 2000s but started getting some issues after years of them suiting me fine. I spoke with asics and they suggested I try the 1000s as perhaps I just didn't need that support level anymore and they have worked well for 2 years now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sun 16th September - Berlin Marathon - Badbark Target 2.47                                           Worcester half- DT - Sub 83                                                  

Sat 22nd September - Midlands Road Relays - DT

Sat 29th September - MK Half - DT- MP

Sun 30th September - Cheltenham Half - Stevie Target Sub 84, SBD tbc

Sun 7th October - Jersey Marathon - Gerard & OO
    Chicago Marathon - G-Dawg

Sun 14th October - Yorkshire Marathon - DT- Sub 3
    Great Eastern Run - Gul
    Royal Parks Half - Nicko target sub 2 in costume.

Sun 21st October - Abingdon Marathon - Stevie, Lorenzo, Nicko

Sun 4th November - New York Marathon - SBD, OO                                                        Conductive Education 10k (Birmingham)-Sub 38 Target- DT

Sat 10th November - Gower Coastal Trail Half - Nicko (2:15 target)                               Birmingham XC League- Fixture 1- DT

Saturday 17th November - Rother Valley Marathon - Gul

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I tried my best to update this table nicely and it all looked great until I pressed post!!!
  • Stevie - nice easy run with low HR. Good work on the race list. Great MLR too.
    DT19  - old watch was a Crane Sports watch (Aldi) and I now have a Garmin Forerunner 30. Sounds like you've got a busy racing schedule! Great MP run.
    Badbark - 147lbs must give you a pretty low BMI.
    nick - a fun event - the running sounds like it was incidental!
    Lorenzo - excellent. I'll have to aim a bit lower and maybe go for Boston, Lincs.
    GD - good 6 miler - enjoy the track session tonight. I'm looking forward to my first interval session for ages next week - P&D is a bit dull.
    12 miles this morning. Under a bit of time pressure so average pace was 6:53/m. Did anyone read the item on BBC News about Mark Wahlberg who gets up at 2:30am and does his first workout of the day at 3:40? And I thought I got up at silly o'clock!

• Sun 16th September - Berlin Marathon - Badbark Target 2.47

Sat 29th September - MK Half - DT

Sun 14th October - Yorkshire Marathon - DT
    Great Eastern Run - Gul target sub 86

Sun 4th November - New York Marathon - SBD, OO

Sat 10th November - Gower Coastal Trail Half - Nicko (2:15 target)

Saturday 17th November - Rother Valley Marathon - Gul target sub 3:15 (tbc)

• We are a busy bunch! DT I am in the process of joining Knowle & Dorridge club and I am thinking of giving XC a go on the 10th (If I have recovered from Abingdon sufficiently) so I might see you there. I will tentatively add to the race list
  • Sun 16th September - Berlin Marathon - Badbark Target 2.47
    Worcester Half - DT - Target Sub 83

Sat 29th September - MK Half - DT - MP

Sun 14th October - Yorkshire Marathon - DT
    Great Eastern Run - Gul target sub 86

Sun 4th November - New York Marathon - SBD, OO
    Conductive Education 10k (Birmingham)-Sub 38 Target- DT

Sat 10th November - Gower Coastal Trail Half - Nicko (2:15 target)
    Birmingham XC League- Fixture 1- DT, Stevie

Saturday 17th November - Rother Valley Marathon - Gul target sub 3:15 (tbc)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That looks better, thanks!

Unfortunately we wont Stevie as Knowle are in division 1 and my club division 2. You will be going to Pittville park in Cheltenham which is a good first time xc course as it isn't overly challenging. Just to warn you.....division 1 is ridiculous! We had a season there 2 years ago. One race I actually ran at about 6.22mm so sub 40 pace and finished in the bottom 20% of the field.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That really sounds like an enjoyable race Nicko- might mention it to Mrs OO for a future jaunt.
    Thanks for the list Stevie!
    Track tonight then a long one in the morning :) I also swam again today but don't seem to be getting any faster.

I'm sure you'll give it your all Badbark just hoping conditions will be favourable.

• DT that's a shame, although the way its going I probably won't even be a member by then! Filled entry forms and paid the fee last Friday, still haven't heard anything! Very frustrating. I will look forward to coming last in the XC!

No problem OO, I plan to do some swimming on holiday to keep the exercise going. My technique is awful though!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Track tonight for the first time in months. Picked a good night. 10 x 800 with 30 sec static recoveries. I told the coach the session would see me complete a 7 day streak and 62 miles so he set me a pace of doing each rep of just under sub-3.

All felt OK although started to feel it on the last 2 reps. All reps were sub-3 and averaged 2.57. Happy with that after another tough week.

Ready for Madrid tomorrow, starting off with a stadium tour at the Bernabéu.  B)

Have a good running weeend, team!!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    G Dawg- isn’t Bernabau in Barca?
    I was rubbish at the track tonight still tired from GNR I guess
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    no that's the Nou Camp.

Nice session, g dawg. enjoy the trip.

Sports massage today. physio was very impressed by the condition I was in.

4 with strides before work tomorrow then another rest Saturday. 

Stevie, yes the process of joining a club is frustrating. Never try and change clubs!!! Division 1 is certainly a leveller for runners at our level!
  • OO - hope you had a good track session and enjoy the long run today. Ah, okay, yes probably still recovering.
    DT - x-post yesterday. All the best for Sunday (good to have the list to cross check and make sure I've got the right weekend!)
    GD - nice reps. Enjoy Madrid.
    All the best to Badbark and Poacher in Berlin this weekend too. 
    7 mile recovery run this morning.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good luck to DT & Badbark this weekend (but you're both looking in very good shape) - also Poacher (thanks for reminding us he is also in Berlin, Gul)    

quiet week here so far - 20 miles plodded over three runs, but will get out later, then possibly Rother Valley parkrun (ref - Gul) tomorrow, as my 2 offspring are heading there  . .      
  • Good luck to all the Berliners this weekend - world record course - just saying!
    Nice to see the target list up and peoples goals for the rest the year.
    Back to non consistency again this week 14 miles so far - managed 6 x 800m reps on Tuesday and 5 mile tempo run (while son was footie training) on Wednesday, Then Thursday my lad had a friendly and I was linesman so at least I got a bit of running in!
    Going to have to get my long run in tomorrow am as my lad's footie season starts this weekend.
  • Nice one with the list lads! It's great to see the cards on the table. Yeah, good luck to the weekend racers. I hope you all get what your training deserves. Quiet week here too, forgot my trainers today which was a first and I'm out tonight with a group of running buddies who are having a team meeting re their up and coming trip to Valencia, i.e. it's an excuse to eat, drink and chat about running. ;) I hope to be able to get out before I go out tonight but I'll see how I feel after work.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Easy 4 this morning with strides.

This cutback week has left me feeling like i've stiffened right up. Hopefully I wont notice that Sunday morning but will feel the benefit in the second half with much less accumulated fatigue.

Best of luck Badbark and Poacher. 

• Good luck Badbark and Poacher in Berlin and DT in Worcester - no doubt you'll all smash it.

Slow week for me after Medoc, just 5 on Wednesday and 8 planned this evening. Long run Sunday probably 18-20. Need to up my mileage/training considerably and get back into this.
  • Birch - enjoy Rother Valley.
    KR - good adaptation - hope you can get a consistent schedule going.
    GM - are you going barefoot? Hope you had a great evening.
    DT19 - I'm sure you'll be fine tomorrow. Go smash it!
    Nick - good idea to let your body recover a bit this week.
    18 miles early this morning, with 12 @ MP. Did 5 w/u @ 7:57, 12 @ 7:04 and 1 w/d @ 7:40. Halfway through the P&D schedule now. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking effort Gul!
    I ran 18:20 at parkrun on tired legs with nice even pacing. I need a long run tomorrow but my calves are in a bad way so I'll have to see how it goes.

Good luck to the Berliners- the weather looks OK! 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nicely paced for another splendid parkrun, OO

Gul - nice to reach halfway - and good 12 mile MP segment - that's a long way to concentrate - well done  

Rother Valley parkrun here (with 1.5 miles either side)  -  first timer on this course (though familiar from training )  -  happy with 23:35 ,  18 secs better than 2 weeks ago, on a similar course in terms of profile, but this one has section of rough track (but not too rough, Gul) , so maybe I'm going in the right direction.   69th from 381 overall, but only 4th VoGit (though I am at the wrong end of the 60-64 category now)  .  70.46% WAVA,  so at least I've managed to creep back over my self-imposed minimum "respectable"  grading :)   

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going Birch, definitely in the right direction. Always good to try a new parkrun 
  • Great parkrunning OO & Birch some good times!
    Very nice long run Gul, half way already!
    Good luck to Badbark, Poacher & DT. Looking forward to seeing how you all get on!

Today's run was what Lewis calls a broken tempo. 20 miles of 4 easy, 5 MP, 1 Easy, 4 MP, 1 easy, 3MP, 2 easy. Really happy to average 6.44 for all of the MP sections so nice and consistent. Felt good and relaxed. Off on holiday for a week now so will do some swimming to keep active
  •  In Berlin, having barely run a step. And still with an unhappy foot. I think I am now officially an ex-runner. We watched the in-line skating mara this afternoon which was fast and looked like huge fun. Good luck to others (BB, DT?). 

Gonna be carnage tomorrow but it’s always good to be in Berlin - first visited before the wall came down. Report anon. Wish me luck!