Sub 3h15

Comments

• Forgive me threadsters, for I have binned.  :(

Ducked my run last night as felt drained after two consecutive solid sessions and have a sore throat. Clearly fighting a small bug, so opted for a glass of wine and an early night.

Will do 6 easy trail miles tonight as feeling a tad better. 
    Already checking Chicago weather. Temps are heading down which is great! Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Free food and beer, GM? Get in there, Son!  B)
  • 5 miles, GM.

If you're into medium range weather forecasts the taper madness is starting nicely, GD. ;)
  • Jools - Cool, will be a good marker of fitness.

OO - I need you fit and healthy in two weeks time so I hope that knee behaves! ;)

G-Dawg - Checking the weather for Chicago! Hahahaha!! Nicely ducked! ;)Man, if there was such a thing as The Running penance it would be 500 Hail Mary's and Our father's for me.

• Badbark - your mileage is seriously impressive, almost as impressive as managing 10-15 portions of fruit and veg a day! Congrats again on Berlin.
    Massive mileage to kickstart your training Joolska - good luck with the rest of the campaign and at Weston tonight.
    OO - take it easy on that knee!

That Beijing footage is weird - if he was going for a high 5 he was reaching over quite a lot, difficult to tell though.

Sacked off track in favour of some longer intervals on the portway with my (much faster) flatmate. Legs felt like stiff jelly (if that's a thing). 3 x 2km with 2 min rest, (7:38, 8:00) then split the last into 2 x 1km with 1min rest (4:00, 3:55) - felt very hard but good to get something done even though I should really be targeting that as a half marathon pace - just building it back up over time.

Probably just gym today and some tempo miles tomorrow. Only a few more weeks to get the long runs in, so Monday will be another 18-20 attempt as on a golf trip all weekend like a proper old man.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I returned from my mini-layoff of 4 days with a steady 10.5 with my pal this morning, in cool, dry conditions. Contrast to this afternoon, when I helped the same friend with a training session for her boys' Primary School XC team - it was like being in a power shower for 45 mins !!  
  • The contrasting weather conditions keep things interesting I guess, Birch. Should have taken some soap for that power shower. :D

Meanwhile, I had yet another run in warm, muggy conditions. It was 22 degrees but a bit blowy. Ran 6 miles on the trails for a 7.00 pace average. Glad I took the rest on Wednesday as I felt quite strong last night.

I always seem to run with a sore Achilles. No real injury worry, just old geezer Achilles where I walk like an 80 year old getting out of bed or after resting for a while. Any tips on how to treat such a thing? 
  • Nicko - That's a great sesh. 

Birch - You got lucky with the weather and a good run after your mini lay-off. It's great seeing the kids doing the XC and nice of you to help out. 

Jools - How was your 5 miler?

Corporate cup 5k race for me last night. It was the last in the series of 5 races of which I did 3 and they went 18:59, 18:53 and 18:43 last night. Each time the weather has been a nuisance. Last night was no exception the wind in parts was ridiculous but hey ho what can we do about the weather. Wasn't too happy with that as I was hoping for 18:2x but the wind ruined me. 

• That's a fair old clip in the wind there, GM. Top bombing!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

G-dawg, I was surprised last night how warm and muggy it was when I was sheltered from the wind.

I also get out of bed like frankensteins monster quite frequently. I find it is easier with lots of lower leg and feet stretching, particularly that stretch where you pull the toes back and really flex from the back of the ankle. I find that gets right in the zone. I have also taken to frequent hot baths lately with Epsom bath salts. I have found when I don't have periods where I ensure this happens my body feels a lot worse. 

18.43 is a reasonable time, Gerard in such conditions. It is hard to maintain the ferocity of 5k when battling the elements.

Nice 10, Birch.

hope the knee recovers, oo.

Decent session, Nicko.

I put in my last proper length mlr last night of 14 miles for 8.05mm. Kept it very easy as still not feeling it after Sunday, plus I have an mp run today, rd relays tomorrow and potentially a 20 sunday (I will shift this to Tuesday if forecast remains same). Felt very comfortable, though it seems to have brought out a cold which I suspect has been lying undercover in me since last week. Only mild thankfully.

So I have the midlands rd relays at Sutton park tomorrow. I started off in the vets team which suited me as no big pressure. Now due to various injuries our B team has been abandoned and I have been elevated to the A team. I believe the course comes in just over 5k and its not an easy course. I shall do some investigating on strava in a bit.

Just need to get through this next few days and start my taper.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    DT - road relays seem to have thrown your schedule into confusion - hope it works out and you can then start your taper.
    Jools - hope the prom run went well.
    GM - sounds like a cracking time in high winds.
    OO - sorry to hear your knee is still sore - are you sure about the 10k?
    GD - sounds like you were justified in binning Weds' run looking at last night's. Fortunately I've never had Achilles trouble.
    nick - nice intervals. Hope you can get some long runs in.
    Birch - well, what weather did you expect for XC?! Well done.
    8 steady miles with 10x100m strides this morning. Scheduled long run this weekend is only an MLR - 16 miles.
  • Prom run was hard work! Ended up solo for the last 2.5 miles and didn't have the strength to beat the wind! 33.57 by my watch. I'll allow up to 1 min for the wind and accept that half mara pace is just not very fast at the moment...
  • G-Dawg - I'm the same on the achilles and it got pretty bad during London prep this year. It hasn't gone away but I find I can minimise the issue with lots of eccentric heel drops, icing and ibuprofen gel before bed; as well as loosening up my ankles with circular rolls before a run. Making sure I stretch calves a lot after a run helps too. Good steady pace on the 6 miler.
    GM - seem like some solid times to me, especially in strong wind, congrats.
    Good luck DT, hope you leave some energy for the last long run before tapertime.
    Good run Joolska, wind was so strong down this way last night.

Last nights sleep was dominated by dreams of running in the squirrel costume not being able to see anything - Royal Parks Half is getting closer!

• Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

I've just listened to this weeks Marathon Talk and I get two mentions - Rate your Run and the Podium! :smiley:
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Badbark you are becoming a regular on that show!
    Tough in the wind Jools. Was it good to be back racing?
    Good luck at the relays DT19 I love those!
    My knee got worse and I had to abandon a run yesterday. Nothing today but will jog parkrun with my daughter tomorrow and see how that goes. The 10k has been binned Gul, no chance I could run it let alone compete. 

• Badbark Cracking report and a great time well worth all the effort you put in.I'm sure there are a few pb's to be had at shorter distances with a little focus on speedwork.
    Gerard good 5k in the wind.
    Jools welcome back to racing .

Ran 3 miles to club session on Thursday 30 min "tempo" and 3 mile home again.My old coach showed up so just took it easy and had a chat.

4 mile run into work this morn early doors.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I got round the parkrun in 26:XX. I'll settle for that and try 5 tomorrow. Should get me to mid 30's instead of the planned 60 mile week. Off to the Lakes now for some autumn weather :) 
  • Jools - good effort.
    nick - you only need to worry if you start hiding nuts.
    Badbark - you must be quite a regular on MT now. I see OO wrote the same!
    OO - yes, I thought it sounded a bit suicidal. Hope the knee isd improving. Maybe the Lakes will be good therapy.
    Leslie - keep plugging away.
    16 miles yesterday - first 7 miles @ 7:28/m and then 9 miles @ 6:51/m. Did 6 recovery miles this morning to make 66 for the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    enjoy the lakes, oo.

Good going, Gul.

keep at it, Leslie.

relays went well after feeling crap all week. 3.64 miles in 22.10 on a courseceoth over 200 feet of elevation came out 6.05mm average. Basically what I'm able to manage on a pan flat parkrun! Watch says i went through 5k in 18.46.

I do love club events, it seems to bring the best out in my ability. My incentive yesterday was to justify my inclusion in senior team which I did as being our third fastest of 6. 

A morning stood in the rain at junior rugby now before my last long one this afternoon when it looks like perfect weather. Pleased to see the transformation of the Hull forecast. it looks perfect there this morning almost. 
  • First double digit run today since something went ping in my leg mid-June, over 3 months ago. Wet and windy so a bit of an effort to get out the car and start but once the first mile was under the belt (12:18 all uphill, 318 feet of climbing, and off-road) it all clicked and ended up at 9:55 pace overall. Need to see what happens over the next month now to determine if it is worth doing an XC season or not. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, pmj. I'm hoping for a xc season this year! 

22 at 7.44 pace this afternoon. last long one successfully negotiated. Felt good and strong. 63 miles this week which is my highest ever. 

I'll start scaling mileage back now. 
  • OO – Sorry read about your knee issue.

Les – Good tempo and easy running.

Gul – Great 16 miler with 9 at sub 3 pace.

DT – Well done on the speedy relay running. Excellent 22 miles and congrats on your highest ever week!

PMJ – I’m glad to read your recovery is coming on well with a hilly 12 miles.

I ran the Belfast HM today in 1:23:05. I started strong and went through 10k in 38 minutes but then my legs began feeling like lead. I decided to back off from miles 8 to 12 as this was really just a training session. The 2nd 10k took just over 40 minutes, so slightly slower than MP. I picked up the pace to close to 6 m/m pace again, for the last mile.

I’ve a developed a weird niggle in my abs. It’s extremely painful for about 2 minutes in my lower abs when I begin running, but soon the pain clears. If I stop for more than a few minutes, it’s sore when I start again. However, I feel no pain pushing the area. Strange!

• Good to see you in double digits, PMJ.
    Well done in Belfast, Badbark. great time despite backing off.
    Cracking 22, DT. Looking in great form.
    Always impressed with your speed uplift on those runs, GD. Nice.

Crap weekend here. Got my two planned runs in but didn't look at the watch, just running in a daze with my head thinking about all sorts of things, trying to get aligned with what may/may not happen in the family over the next couple of weeks.

My wife's father passed away suddenly on Friday. We've all experienced such things, so I'm sure you'll understand that the mind can go a bit fuzzy.

We're lucky that we can go out for a run and get the thinking done.
    On Saturday morning I got 16 miles in on the trails as my wife stayed overnight with her siblings at her Dad's house. It was a nice place to be and helped straighten my head out a tad. Average pace was 7.39 and I actually felt quite strong. Yesterday were just 4 recovery miles, again head straighteners at 7.06 pace as I continue to process what's happened and how rubbish it is breaking the news to people.

Feeling a bit deflated running wise, but I'll continue with the taper process to keep some sort of order and focus going.

Stayed up later last night to watch Tiger win for the first time in 5 years. Brilliant! I'm supposed to be at the Ryder Cup this weekend (depending on funeral etc...) and it would be a thrill to see him play.
  • DT19 - a cracking weekend's running - bodes well.
    PMJ - sounds positive.
    Badbark -  excellent time but even more impressive just a week after Berlin. Did you have a similar issue to the sore abs a while ago and were able just to run through the pain?
    GD  - really sorry to hear your news - a tough time for you all. Hope the running can help.
    8 miles @ 7:39/m this morning to start the final week in the LT phase.
  • GDawg - sorry to hear of the family bereavement.  Glad that running is helping you.
    Glad to hear that you are back running, PMJ.
    Sorry to hear of the knee issue, OO.  
    I was also in the Lakes over the weekend (Naddle, just outside Keswick) for a family get together.  Only had time to do 6 miles on Saturday and 13 on Sunday, but I had the foresight to book today off work, so will go and do my 20 miler at some point today instead.
    Well done on the HM, Badbark - I guess you overtook a fair few people in the last 1.1km?!
  • G-Dawg - sorry to hear your sad news. It is at times like these that we are lucky to be able to do what we do and it's good to have focus, even at such a difficult time.

Badbark - well run. Wonder what the pain in the abs is all about?

Jools - very well planned there! Hope you have a good LSR.

PMJ - I'm also debating whether or not to do another xc season. I most probably will as it certainly didn't harm my running this year and I like the fact it fills holes in the racing diary.

DT - Very nicely done with the 22. 63 has been my highest week this year although I've not reached those kind of miles often.

OO - Did you manage to get out on Sunday? I've never been up to the lakes.

We had the tail end of the storm here pretty much all week which constant rain and high winds. Luckily it cleared later Sunday afternoon. Could only get a few short runs in but they felt good. I'm going to try get a longish run in after work today. The forecast for this week is amazing sunny and quite warm all week. Lets hope it's the same for the following week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GD so sorry for the family news, I’m sure you’ll be a great support to your wife.
    congrats on the 10miler PMJ. I’m also considering XC but I think you are better at it than me.
    where did you go on your 13 miler Jools? I just did 5 with my wife on Sunday along Derwentwater. Then my knee gave up :(
    Enjoy the good weather Gerard and keep it coming. I’m trying to recover in time for my 250th parkrun this weekend and for our Mara rendezvous of course :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Badbark you matched my GNR time exactly without even trying. All things considered yours was a much more impressive run.
    I just survived a plodding 10 miler on the dodgy knee. Some relief...
  • OO - Please look after that knee. :smile:

I managed to bag my last longish run this evening. Did 16.5 miles with approx 10 of those on the marathon course taking in the really hilly parts. Ran 9.5 with a much faster pal and it felt steady up the hills but not too difficult and the data makes interesting reading considering I've only run up there once in the last 3 years. Average pace for the total distance was 7:21mm. Pretty decent effort all things considered but it sure helped having my pal to chat to and to take the mind off the task at hand as he was practically jogging. I've looked backed at my last 3 months of training and the stats are what one would say not ideal marathon prep. 12 weeks, weekly totals were........... 36, 40, 18.2, 28, 28.4, 38.1, 45.6, 11.6, 62.3, 27.4, 25.3 & 24.6. The longer runs have been 16.5, 18, 19, 20, 22 and 16.5. It's too late now to do anything about it but another 2 *20's would have been ideal but I'll just have to work with what I have. If I can blag a sub 3:15 on that course it would be sweet but it's a big ask.  I've got my boy this weekend so won't get much running in but I may be able to squeeze in a 10 miler on Thursday if I feel up to it. Getting close now and I'm actually feeling quite chilled about it and looking forward to it. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’m chilled too Gerard, the knee has definitely brought a dose of reality and stole my last chance of looong run. I’ll check out your hill run on Strava. With all the swimming I’ve been doing at least I feel generally fit. 
  • Jools - hope you enjoyed the Lakes and got your 20 miler in yesterday.
    GM - not an ideal build-up but you've certainly shown you have some good pace and plenty of miles in those legs taking a longer term view. If you're relaxed about it and go out to enjoy it then who knows what you might do.
    OO - hope the knee improves. 250 parkruns is very impressive.
    15 miles this morning - very chilly here, but a pleasant run in the moonlight. 7 miles @ 7:42/m and 8 miles @ 7:08/m.