Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Poacher Im in Keswick all next week getting windows fitted. Let me know if you are back across in the lakes for a training run.
    I’ve heard a whisper that Minni also got into VLM- maybe she’ll be tempted back to the thread ;)
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO said "Birch you should come as an honoured guest"  

its almost certain I'll be at VLM 2019, as my son has decided to take up his Championship Start place, so you never know - the VoGit wallet might be unleashed  . . . .   
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Birch we are all partial to magnums of Dom Perignon '59 (it was a good vintage) - don't you be getting in any cheap nasty fizz for your bessie running mates.  Your lad must be on for fast one.  Poachette is keen on a mara debut, 73min for the HM on Sunday which is really not her event suggests she has a decent mara in her one day. But only young still.

OO that would be lovely but just here working for a couple of days, then back to the sweaty gym from hell on Sunday. Starting to forget my own address.

BTW this is what the Commonwealth medal looks like. Big and heavy too. Fancy going to work Monday morning and someone asks what you did at the weekend....

• Options
    Just got the VLM rejection email so will have to make do with one marathon in April. 

Won't stop me being in Chandos though. 
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg  - That's a brilliant time. Totally smashed your pb, well done.

Little bedtime story for the sports fans. :smiley:

Jersey Marathon 2018

Build up to the race

This year's Jersey marathon would be my first attempt on my local course for 3 years. The build itself had gone ok. I wasn't injured which was the first time in years and although I was very light on mileage and proper long runs I was feeling quite relaxed about the whole thing. The place was to run it at a pace that felt very comfortable and try not to completely detonate in the last 10k.

The legendary OO was coming to Jersey!

The fact that one of our fellow theadsters was coming over to Jersey to visit and do it as well was another major bonus and it was all getting very exciting. I thought it would be nice to run with someone quicker than me and keep me in check. OO arrived with his lovely wife Amanda and after pacing Amanda to a new parkrun pb we went for brekkie in the local sports centre and we discussed the race strategy. I explained to OO that the course was unusual and different to most marathons in that it was hilly, had mixed terrain and was quite a sparsely attended run. I said that I thought it had to be broken down into about 4 different parts and OO said "sounded like his knee"! Lols. More about the knee later.

The weather – Uggh!

The weather had been glorious all week and the temps hit low 20's with a light wind from Wed-Friday. I was thinking to myself this is to be good to be true. However, by late Saturday morning the weather had turned absolutely horrendous, it was pouring with rain and about Gale force 8 wind and stronger later into the night and early hours. I was consigned to the fact that the conditions would possibly play a major part in the race but wasn't overly worried. Again I felt quite relaxed about the whole thing.

Pre-RACE

I woke up around 6:45am on race day and had my usual pre-race of porridge with milk and freshly made coffee. I had a poor sleep the night before but nothing new there. I strolled down to the start (it's about 10 mins walk from my place) and could feel a very fresh cold northerly breeze but was glad to see that it had stopped raining and it was actually sunny. Met a few friends' pre-race and OO and chatted away nicely. I felt great and was looking forward to our very long jog.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

The RACE!

The race started at 9am prompt and we made our way up a slight incline in the first mile and then around the town. Mile 1-3 were pretty spot on pace wise and we reached the 3 mile marker (3.05 miles) in around 22:21. OO and I had agreed that we would try stay together for as long as physically possible and that we would pace it very sensibly.  The target in my mind was to get to halfway in around 1:36 and hopefully jog it in for a 3:14 allowing for a slight fade. Once you hit around 2.5 miles you steady to hit a steady incline and the 1st big climb is around 4 miles in. OO said is this as steep as it gets and I looked at him and said "NO"! There's much worse to come but it doesn't go on for too long. A quick pace check and we were still bang on sub 3:15 pace even factoring in the climbs. The previous night's storm didn't help that there was so much debris strewn across the road in the valley. There were conkers everywhere, lots of wet leaves and some nasty twigs hidden under the leaves that could have caused a trip. I almost went over on my ankle nut luckily I managed to stay upright. The biggest climb is at mile 5 and I was saying to OO that we should just take it easy up this part and run it so it feels easy. We did just that and to be honest I was feeling great and didn't even notice any of the hills. Miles 6-10 seemed to fly by which is a great thing in a marathon. OO and I ran with a friend of mine up to about this point and the banter was great. OO was gaining me feedback and were regularly hitting 7:15-7:17 miles at this point. I didn't bother to look at the 10 mile split but we were cruising and the miles just seemed to pass quickly.

We reached halfway in just under 1:36 which was exactly spot on. The next two miles were good and we made our way along the airport road until we reached our first part of the course which is a gravel trail path. I really don't enjoy running on that surface at all but I still felt ok. It was at around the 15 mile point that OO said his knee was starting to feel bad and that I should just go. I decided that I should just keep going and to try to hold the same pace. I was worried that OO may not finish because it was still so far away from completion. What I didn't know was that OO was the North Shields Lazarus but would find out later.

Miles 16-18 are on the trail path and it's a gradual decline which just aout makes up for the crappy running surface. It is pretty though, but this part of the course is very sparse and I just zoned out and focused on my running. When you reach 18.5 miles you leave the trail path and head back on to the road. This is a tough section as it's a slight incline and there was a strong headwind. I started to feel not so great! All of a sudden I could hear a runner coming from behind but had no idea it was Lazarus himself! OO said something like " Hi it’s the old git again with the dodgy knee". I was thinking to myself. He looks very strong and I tried to tuck in behind to get some respite from the headwind. Mile 20.5 is where the last chip timing mat is (it's because of the relay) and OO was pulling away from me. We were now back on the trail path and would be up to about 22.5 miles. Luckily it’s downhill. OO disappeared into the distance but I had got my 2nd wind and passing runners. Aside from OO I hadn't seen another runner for about 12 miles! I was looking at my watch now as I no longer had the luxury of OO telling me what the miles where. I was hitting sub 7mm and feeling good. I now was starting to think I think I have this in the bag but I was worried it would go wrong as it can so badly and quickly in a marathon. Anyway I reached the 23 mile mark and the wind hit me again. I was feeling bad and thought OH NO! Here we go again. I managed to hold it together but was barely running 7:50's but I didn't panic as I knew I had a few minutes in the bank to spare. I saw the last mile marker and lifted the pace a bit back up to about 7:30's and somehow managed to finish very strongly for the last .2. It was really sunny as I approached the clock I could see 3:1x but couldn't make out if it was 3:14 or 3:15. I thought it said 3:15 and felt a tiny bit if regret but then as I got closer I could see it was 3:14:1x! Whopp! It wa sin the bag and I jogged across the finish line in 3:14:21. A new pb by 6 minutes and the first time EVER that I hadn't detonated in a marathon and it was actually a very enjoyable VERY LONG JOG! I was delighted to hear that OO finished like a train and very impressed that he ran a negative split. It was a great day and such fun. Now time to about whether I want to give a Spring marathon a serious crack or just carry on enjoying my running and have a break from marathons for a wee while. Hmmm, what to do.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great stuff, Gerard - find a flat(ish) , tarmac course, and, in your words - "have a serious crack" !!!     
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Poacher - just wow !  an actual major championship medal -  a real talent there, and , as you allude to, more to come, we hope . . .      B) 
  • Options
    Great report Gerard - come and join me and Poacher at Manchester in the spring!  :)

Track session tonight of 10 x 800 off 45s recovery. Managed to keep everything controlled and not feel like I was pushing too hard. Average of 3.02 per rep with most of them bang on that time. 

Definitely a slightly different approach to tapering from last time but I'm happy Lewis knows what he is doing!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Lovely report, Gerard.  No rush to decide what to do.

Big congrats to Poachette. Surely lurking to pick up tips? ;)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Lazarus of North Shields here!
    Great report Gerard, it was a painful wait but such a relief to see you finish sub 3:15 with your pals all cheering.
    For me I would remind one of the old marathon adage that it’s a 20 mile warm up for a 6 mile race. The pain in my knee subsided by 20 and once I knew it would get me home I let rip over the 3 downhill miles and the 3 last flat ones to the finish. I’ve never felt so strong at the back end of a Mara and the course played to my strengths. All this bodes well for NY  in 4 weeks, just need to tick over for 2-3 weeks then taper.
    Jersey is a lovely place and I’m already booked up for a return next Spring to continue the Bromance ;)
  • Options
    DT - is it today that you and your son are off to Cardiff? I'm sure you'll have a great day.
    I think the intersection of places I'd most like to visit and fast marathon courses is very small if not empty, unless there's a mountain with a track marathon on a plateau at the summit.
    Email rejection from the VLM ballot for me - so could be looking at Boston if I want to do a spring marathon next year. (Boston, Lincolnshire, of course).
    5 easy miles this morning. Resting heart rate is now up 4 or 5 bpm from normal and I feel a cold coming on, so taking lemsips today.
  • Options
    Oops - missed this page!
    Poacher - lovely bling, which will be treasured I am sure.
    GM- really great report. A well deserved big PB; hope I can follow suit.
    Stevie - will be interesting to see the schedule for the rest of your taper.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul- Footy is tomorrow. Shame it isn't today as the weather is lovely for a day out. I ended up at gp's last night with some maranoia. Thought I had a ear infection, turns out it's a bit of 'swimmers ear' so I have some steroid drops to use.

Poacher, nice medal but hopefully it's just the first of many for her.

Gerard, nice report. You definitely need to find a fast course to see what you can do.

Nice reps, Stevie. Definitely a different approach to taper. I was reading an article on 'fast running' last night about accountability in terms of training. I think this is something I suffer with. As I train alone and set everything myself I am not accountable to anyone and the lazy side comes out. So often I plan 5 at threshold and end up persuading myself to do 4 or even downgrading it to hmp or slower. With a coach, even though you are paying for it etc, it does create that degree of accountability.

5K at mp some point today. It's going to be warm but at least I know come sunday it'll be a good bit fresher, unlike this session just before London.

I have been pretty chilled up until I woke up this morning. Starting to feel tense about it all.

• Options

Gul - I hope the cold clears up quickly. Shame about the VLM ballot, we will both be back in 2020 with GFA :D Schedule for the rest of this week is:

Today - 8m Easy
    Thurs - 4m Easy + S+C
    Fri - 2m WU, 10m MP, 2m CD 14 total
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Rest (I think)

DT - I would agree with that. I bailed on some of the longer MP runs I had planned for London when I set my own plan. Also this way I don't have to think about training I just do as I'm told haha.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Stevie, Yep that is definitely a very different taper to anything i've seen.

Just trying to make the best of tomorrows carb load options as I am at an expo in the morning then travelling to Cardiff then at the stadium. My best chance of getting a decent amount in is if I go to pizza hut and order a medium pizza. That will contain over 200g or carbs against a 500g target. I am a bit reluctant to eat a pizza as it wont have the nutrional value other foods I would usually eat. Any thoughts on whether this would be acceptable?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    DT - I wouldn't worry too much about one meal not being of the usual nutritional value, if you're eating healthily the rest of the time - the important thing is to get the carbs in - and, like you, I've preferred a 3 day "loading" period, but I also have done 2 days, and been quite relaxed about it (and seemingly not suffered).  

My preferred method is to eat normally (but with carb-biased meals), with a glass of  SIS PSP22 energy (or similar), which is made from maltodextrin, which is over 98% glucose polymers. It is therefore very light on the stomach and very easy to drink at each meal - this removes the need to "overload" with bulky  carbs, but ensures levels are optimum. I do this 2-3 days, with a very light race day breakfast (piece of toast, or a few cornflakes, maybe, so no "bloated" feeling). I understand that each of us has a "personalised" approach, but this has worked well for me.   Maybe making a bottle or two to take to Cardiff could be the answer?    

whatever you decide , have a great time with your boy !!!    :)  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes I prefer 3 days, though I ease off Saturday pm, albeit I have a table for 1 booked at Prezzo Saturday night.

I have always got my easy carbs from orange juice and luc sport, however there is only so much I can handle as both are high in sugar. This product looks great, however having looked around the next I cant see that it is available anywhere that I could just pick up off the shelf.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I'll take some stock before I decide what my next move will be but I'm very tempted to have another crack at Amsterdam.

Poacher - OO & were saying that you would probably knock off a decent chunk of time from your Berlin marathon in Chester and you did, so, well done.

OO - That's great news re Spring. You must let me know your dates. I'd imagine you'll want to give parkrun a good go? I think NY could be a good one for you and hopefully your legs will have recovered in time.

Gul - I hope your wrong about the cold and it's nothing, they are such annoying things. Not long now until your race!

DT - Have fun!

Stevie - Manchester is great but I'm not certain I will do it yet.

Birch - Interesting to hear about your carb load approach. I guess I've never taken it serious enoughto really worry about that sort of thing.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’m also in bed today with man flu which came on after yesterday swim- not very Lazarus like! So no running since Jersey.
    In terms of carb loading don’t forget the 5 course breakfast option :) I made my own meal in the hotel the night before Jersey Mara. This gave me control on intake and timing and also allowed maximum rest.
    Will message you the dates Gerard. A full on parkrun blast is a dead cert ;)
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - That's some medal! 73 mins for a half for a lady is serious running. What's her favourite distance? Was that her half debut? 

Lorenzo - Boston is the only USA one that's on my radar. Looking at the qualifying times for 2020 I think I may get in. It's 3:20 for a V45 and it looks like 5 mins below the qualifying time would be good enough. 

Gul - I am certain you will smash your mara pb all things being equal. Do you have a race strategy i.e. how will you pace it? 

OO - Shame about the man flu. Speedy recovery! Great stuff re your next Jersey visit. I look forward to another run and bit of craic. :smile:

My legs and body felt ridiculously good on Monday. I had no stiffness or aches whatsoever which came a real pleasant surprise. So much so, I went for a lovely cliff path walk on Monday afternoon. I usually apply at least a 3 day zero running rest after a marathon. So I went out for a jog tonight. 5k very easy @ 7:4x and it felt sooooo good. Didn't expect that. Bonus! :smiley:

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I achieved endless ridicule from MrsP and everyone she told for smuggling a hefty microwave oven into a travel lodge type place to prepare my own food the night before a PB attempt. It weighed a ton and cooking was banned on the premises. I sneaked it through reception in a holdall, made sure it didn't go PING and opened the window to diffuse any aroma so no-one found out. Result: PB, so worth it. Now that's dedication, in a tragic way.

Liking the 5 course breakfast option, but it should have included chips and couple of loaves of bread.

Nice to see the bromance blossoming  <3 

GM she's done 16.09/5k, 33.58/10k but fairly new to halves. I'd love to see her smash a mara one day but doing that to the standard which would do her justice would be hard with a very full time job. Just needs to keep on enjoying it really.

I'd urge anyone who can to run Boston if there's a chance. Running teaches humility but just for one day you can allow yourself to know that you earned a place through hard work.  A challenging course too.

• Options
    DT - hope the ear clears up and have a great time at the football. I'm the sure carb-loading will be fine. 
    Stevie - 14M with 10@MP 9 days before your marathon (is that right) is certainly a bit unusual, but your coach seems to know what he's doing judging by your HM PB!
    OO - get well soon. Got to be 100% fit for NY.
    GM - nice one. Waiting to see how I do on Sunday before setting a target for the marathon.
    Poacher - I like the microwave story! One day I would like to make my race day routine as much like a normal training day as possible. So stay adjacent to the start line, push all my meals back about 4 hours the day before, go to bed at 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning, get up 15 mins before the race and come out of the door without any breakfast, hit the start button and run :)
    csorthofeet - hello. Glad you found some orthotic shoes that work for you. Do you run in them?
    Overslept this morning and only did 4 miles with 6 x 0.25M. Still got a bit of a temperature and elevated resting heart rate and taking more paracetamol today. 

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Gul there are some races which start at Gul o'clock - eg the GUCR which begins when revellers are leaving nightclubs about 0530. Or the Dubai marathon. No excuses for you!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The long hot summer, the World Cup, manic work schedule, and no running chums as they were training for the UTMB meant the Chicago campaign was one of my toughest to endure. Cap it all off with a manic September with a family bereavement thrown into the mix made this feel exceptionally tough.

I make my own training plans based on my own experience and from others. I make small changes each time to ensure I'm trying something new. Well, the hot weather helped me out there and as it turned out, I think it helped in the race. Somehow I got the campaign done, ditching only 2 runs due to listening to the body and resting after 7 day streaks and high volumes.

My last 3 marathons have been weather affected and cost me a PB each time. Maranoia took over on the lead up to Chicago and I checked the weather closely from 3 weeks out and was resigned to the fact that the weather may cost me again. However, things did actually go my way for a change.

I was more anxious going into this event than any other. Sometimes I think it's a sub-conscious feeling that you know you're well prepared. I even allowed myself a beer 2 nights before and a glass of wine 2 nights before that in a bid to calm down and not take this running lark too seriously. However, I did backfill the week with carbs after going for depletion in the early part, downed a load of beetroot juice and plenty of sleep.

We flew into Chicago on the Friday and I hoped to be jet lagged on the Sunday making it feel I was running 6 hours later than I actually was. We went straight to the expo, travelling on yellow school buses that provided a free shuttle service from 4 points across the city. Nice touch.

On Sunday I was in the first wave starting at 07.30 and wanted to be at Grant Park by 06.15. The jet lag theory worked and I felt bright.

As I walked down Michigan Avenue in the early hours, It was raining. I was overjoyed! I walked alone on the dark and street by street, other marathon zombies joined the dark walk to the park from the side streets.

I found a park bench and sat quietly for a while, just how I like it. Before I knew it, it was light, the rain had stopped and the temperature had gone up. Not ideal but somehow I knew it would be my day. I was calm.

After some young lass strangled the hell out of the US national anthem, we were off but not before Mo Farah was introduced 2 pens in front of me and a few of us Brits gave him a hearty cheer. One final time, I went through my simple race plan; 7 minute miles all the way and just see how much the fade is. It's only 3 and a bit hours of running at piss easy Ten Mile Tuesday night pace. Let's go!

The first part of the course goes along a very wide dual carriageway and we disappear into a tunnel type complex. This immediately blew out the GPS accuracy. The first few mile splits were all over the place. From the mile markers and the clocks fixed to them, I worked out that I crossed the line 3 mins after the gun and so all I had to do was deduct 3 mins and do my 7 times table and I was OK. This went really well and kept my mind active. 

It was warmer than I would have liked. After about 3 miles I felt a raindrop, then another. I got a few weird looks as I shouted to myself, "Come on rain! Come on rain!" My call was answered and we had a rain shower for a couple of miles. I cooled down a bit.

For some reason I had a heavy legs moment at 10 miles but I think my body just needed to be sure what I was asking of it, we kissed and made up and all was fine. I went through halfway at 1.31 and I felt strong. It was a good boost.

As the course went on it was clearly what I trained for. Nice and flat with inclines over bridges and not much else. Lovely wide roads, albeit pot-holed. This was good. The crowd were fantastic without being annoying like at some other events. I remember the relentless hooting, whooping and hollering in Boston, this was better.

By now the rain was getting harder, that was OK as it was still warm. My boiling hot Boston experience stood me in good stead. At every aid station I grabbed a paper cup of Gatorade, took just a sip and ditched the rest. Water cups were immediately after, I took a couple of cups, poured them over my head, then grabbed another to drink. The technique is to pinch the top to form a spout and you get the water in your gob rather than on your face. There was no way I'd dehydrate like I did at Abo last year.

16 miles was my first big target checkpoint. Just get there without feeling wobbly and then it was only 4 to 20. At 20 there was only one and a half miles before I'd be in Chinatown where the wife would be waiting with the Union Jack. From there it was under 5 miles to the finish.

As much as I enjoyed the rain shower, it suddenly got harder yet remained warm. The wind was also kicking up, yep, the Windy City was certainly living up to its nickname.

By the time I hit 20 miles, I was fading a little, not helped by a strong headwind. That's OK, I'd never run this fast for this distance before, this was all new. Just hang on in there and call on all the experience you've gained over the last couple of years. That's what I told myself and that's what I did. Nothing would defeat me, I was on it and focussed...but still fading!

I saw the wife and got a bit choked. Why does that happen with family at these events? I told myself to man the fugg up and get on with the business end of this trip. A quick system check and I was refocused.

By now the thighs were screaming. I saw the 23 mile marker and did the clock sums. That time, minus 3 mins, then do the 7 times table. Bloody hell! 3.05 is on here. I've spoken about being capable of hitting that and here was my chance. I was fading still but there was a reserve tank. I'd managed the race so well that I found myself in a position to go for it rather than just hang-on.

I waited another half mile, then thought bollox to it! Let's bag that 3.05, the chance had presented itself and there was no backing out now. Hammer time!
    24 miles came and the legs complained, but I was overtaking some fit looking people in some pretty bad pain. I used that as an energy boost. I got to 25 and then prepared myself for the incline that Poacher mentioned. He was right. In the final turn into Grant Park there is the biggest incline on the course and it's a little sh!t. 

I ran up there strong without blowing up, hoping there would be a descent the other side, there was. I turned left and could see the finish gantry. I was on for a comfy 3.06, itself a big PB but 3.05 sounds much better. This was Berlin all over again where I had to belt it to go sub-3.10.

I hit the burners and laid it al out. Went through the line in 3.05.49 and was elated! 
    As I said at the start this was a tough campaign for so many reasons, including so many injury niggles that I didn't even bother mentioning them to people.

Like the campaign, I managed this race really well. I got the nutrition right and didn't dehydrate. I knew what my natural pace would be without biting off too much and as GM says, detonating in the latter stages.

This was a lovely event anyway and in a cracking city, so to hit a PB was a real bonus. It's also my 4th major, so with this time being a New York GFA, I'll be back across the pond next November.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The long hot summer, the World Cup, manic work schedule, and no running chums as they were training for the UTMB meant the Chicago campaign was one of my toughest to endure. Cap it all off with a manic September with a family bereavement thrown into the mix made this feel exceptionally tough.

I make my own training plans based on my own experience and from others. I make small changes each time to ensure I'm trying something new. Well, the hot weather helped me out there and as it turned out, I think it helped in the race. Somehow I got the campaign done, ditching only 2 runs due to listening to the body and resting after 7 day streaks and high volumes.

My last 3 marathons have been weather affected and cost me a PB each time. Maranoia took over on the lead up to Chicago and I checked the weather closely from 3 weeks out and was resigned to the fact that the weather may cost me again. However, things did actually go my way for a change.

I was more anxious going into this event than any other. Sometimes I think it's a sub-conscious feeling that you know you're well prepared. I even allowed myself a beer 2 nights before and a glass of wine 2 nights before that in a bid to calm down and not take this running lark too seriously. However, I did backfill the week with carbs after going for depletion in the early part, downed a load of beetroot juice and plenty of sleep.

We flew into Chicago on the Friday and I hoped to be jet lagged on the Sunday making it feel I was running 6 hours later than I actually was. We went straight to the expo, travelling on yellow school buses that provided a free shuttle service from 4 points across the city. Nice touch.

On Sunday I was in the first wave starting at 07.30 and wanted to be at Grant Park by 06.15. The jet lag theory worked and I felt bright.

As I walked down Michigan Avenue in the early hours, It was raining. I was overjoyed! I walked alone on the dark and street by street, other marathon zombies joined the dark walk to the park from the side streets.

I found a park bench and sat quietly for a while, just how I like it. Before I knew it, it was light, the rain had stopped and the temperature had gone up. Not ideal but somehow I knew it would be my day. I was calm.

After some young lass strangled the hell out of the US national anthem, we were off but not before Mo Farah was introduced 2 pens in front of me and a few of us Brits gave him a hearty cheer. One final time, I went through my simple race plan; 7 minute miles all the way and just see how much the fade is. It's only 3 and a bit hours of running at piss easy Ten Mile Tuesday night pace. Let's go!

The first part of the course goes along a very wide dual carriageway and we disappear into a tunnel type complex. This immediately blew out the GPS accuracy. The first few mile splits were all over the place. From the mile markers and the clocks fixed to them, I worked out that I crossed the line 3 mins after the gun and so all I had to do was deduct 3 mins and do my 7 times table and I was OK. This went really well and kept my mind active. 

It was warmer than I would have liked. After about 3 miles I felt a raindrop, then another. I got a few weird looks as I shouted to myself, "Come on rain! Come on rain!" My call was answered and we had a rain shower for a couple of miles. I cooled down a bit.

For some reason I had a heavy legs moment at 10 miles but I think my body just needed to be sure what I was asking of it, we kissed and made up and all was fine. I went through halfway at 1.31 and I felt strong. It was a good boost.

As the course went on it was clearly what I trained for. Nice and flat with inclines over bridges and not much else. Lovely wide roads, albeit pot-holed. This was good. The crowd were fantastic without being annoying like at some other events. I remember the relentless hooting, whooping and hollering in Boston, this was better.

By now the rain was getting harder, that was OK as it was still warm. My boiling hot Boston experience stood me in good stead. At every aid station I grabbed a paper cup of Gatorade, took just a sip and ditched the rest. Water cups were immediately after, I took a couple of cups, poured them over my head, then grabbed another to drink. The technique is to pinch the top to form a spout and you get the water in your gob rather than on your face. There was no way I'd dehydrate like I did at Abo last year.

16 miles was my first big target checkpoint. Just get there without feeling wobbly and then it was only 4 to 20. At 20 there was only one and a half miles before I'd be in Chinatown where the wife would be waiting with the Union Jack. From there it was under 5 miles to the finish.

As much as I enjoyed the rain shower, it suddenly got harder yet remained warm. The wind was also kicking up, yep, the Windy City was certainly living up to its nickname.

By the time I hit 20 miles, I was fading a little, not helped by a strong headwind. That's OK, I'd never run this fast for this distance before, this was all new. Just hang on in there and call on all the experience you've gained over the last couple of years. That's what I told myself and that's what I did. Nothing would defeat me, I was on it and focussed...but still fading!

I saw the wife and got a bit choked. Why does that happen with family at these events? I told myself to man the fugg up and get on with the business end of this trip. A quick system check and I was refocused.

By now the thighs were screaming. I saw the 23 mile marker and did the clock sums. That time, minus 3 mins, then do the 7 times table. Bloody hell! 3.05 is on here. I've spoken about being capable of hitting that and here was my chance. I was fading still but there was a reserve tank. I'd managed the race so well that I found myself in a position to go for it rather than just hang-on.

I waited another half mile, then thought bollox to it! Let's bag that 3.05, the chance had presented itself and there was no backing out now. Hammer time!
    24 miles came and the legs complained, but I was overtaking some fit looking people in some pretty bad pain. I used that as an energy boost. I got to 25 and then prepared myself for the incline that Poacher mentioned. He was right. In the final turn into Grant Park there is the biggest incline on the course and it's a little sh!t. 

I ran up there strong without blowing up, hoping there would be a descent the other side, there was. I turned left and could see the finish gantry. I was on for a comfy 3.06, itself a big PB but 3.05 sounds much better. This was Berlin all over again where I had to belt it to go sub-3.10.

I hit the burners and laid it al out. Went through the line in 3.05.49 and was elated! 
    As I said at the start this was a tough campaign for so many reasons, including so many injury niggles that I didn't even bother mentioning them to people.

Like the campaign, I managed this race really well. I got the nutrition right and didn't dehydrate. I knew what my natural pace would be without biting off too much and as GM says, detonating in the latter stages.

This was a lovely event anyway and in a cracking city, so to hit a PB was a real bonus. It's also my 4th major, so with this being a New York GFA, I'll be back across the pond next November
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sorry! formatting went crazy and I seemed to have posted it twice. Whoops! 
    Also went for a recovery run along the shores of Lake Michigan yesterday, it was a lovely run but my legs were proper sore. Ouch! Back home and jet lagged again.  :D

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Cracking report that man. Really well raced in variable weather. Excellent effort to hold it together, 3.05 must feel so much better than 06 or 07. A minute here and there even at this level is such a lot. That little slope at the end is a sod.  You will like NYC, although its a harder/slower course than Chicago.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    BTW some tempting news from Comrades - next year there are two new medal categories, including a titanium one to commemorate the first (unofficial) black runner to finish, in 1935, when black runners were not exactly welcome. What's not to like about a titanium medal? :p<3 (except you have to run 9.00-9.59, and it's all hills. This is a replacement for the faster half of the 9h-11h bronze category).
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    brilliant, GDawg - so good, it was worth reading twice ;)      

Poacher - you're not, are you ?