Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I pass a 400m sign and can see the start gantry and begin to go faster. 400m…..It’s no more than a slightly long stride, lets smash it!!! I still haven’t looked at my watch as I can’t take my own drama. I just resolve to do everything I can. I start building into a sprint, mile 26 beeps through but I don’t look (7.26). I then in the distance see the clock on 2.59.4x. I know I have 10 seconds or so from the chip so here it is, 25 seconds and just over 100m stands between me and the glory I have trained for 4 years for. I just look away and burst into the most flat out sprint I have finished a race with! As I get within a few strides of the clock I am dry heaving but nothing is stopping me. I pass the lads that were ahead of me and I glance to see the clock on about 2.59.58. I don’t slow and throw myself at the line. I try and stop my watch and fail, so in what seems like an age I try again. I then fall to my knees heaving on the floor. A marshal quickly comes over to assist me and has water with him. A pleasant change from London where they ask you to keep moving and tell you where water can be found. He picks me and advises me top lean over the barrier.

I quickly regain composure and he tells me he thinks I was just under 3 hours. I look at my watch and as I haven’t saved the event yet it is rolling through my average speed (6.52), then distance (please, hurry up!!) then 2.59.57 roles across and I know I delayed stopping it so that would be worst case scenario. I see it and just lose my composure and well up explaining how important it was to me!! The last 0.2 miles was at 5.08mm average. The lads I passed came in behind me both having missed the sub 3 by a few seconds. I am so glad I threw it all in!! It’s only seconds between us but a world of difference.

I very quickly felt cold and wet but had left all my kit at DL, so armed with a foil blanket and a pint of erdinger non-alcoholic isotonic lager I made my way back there shivering but happy.

I think there’s something more satisfying with the skin of the teeth nature of the result. It’s a bit like watching your football team utterly dominate a game for 80 minutes, the otherside smash them for 10 then you win the game with the last kick. game.

This year was threatening to be a major disappointment, largely due to the weather but I now have a big mara pb and very nominal 5k and half pb’s along with a solid 10k and 5 mile time on the board, both seconds shy of pbs, so it’s turning out well and will always be remembered highly for yesterday.

I think the higher mileage stood me in good stead for those closing stages and allowed me to maintain a high enough pace until 24 miles to keep me in touch with target. Interestingly, my average hr was only 163, when in all my previous marathons it has been pushing 170. My garmin training effect was only 4.6 and I am always a 5.0 for any race effort from 10k upwards. That is reflective of aerobically how I felt throughout.

So, a few weeks now to recover with a long weekend in Barcelona this weekend and a half-term week in Wales with the family then I’ll start building back up.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Birch – Well done on the XC return 

Gul – A great report and a well-paced sub 85. You deserve to be happy. Now don’t forget the standard half to marathon conversion – double your half + 10 minutes. Just saying…… :wink:

DT – That’s a brilliant report. You captivated the rollercoaster of emotions really well. Well done again for a great achievement. I think you’ll get even faster as you’ve now overcome the stress of a sub 3.

I ran the NI Masters trials on Saturday but wasn’t close to qualifying for the team. I knew it would be a long shot with younger, faster M45’s now in my category but I give it my all. It was gloriously muddy and I ran as hard as I could, managing 29:27 in 8k. This was only good enough for 9th in my age group, with the top 6 qualifying for the British Masters next month. I was 88 seconds behind 6th so well outclassed.

I then went out celebrating my birthday on Saturday night and only made it home and to bed by 6am Sunday. Needless to say I took a rest day from running yesterday.

Today is my 49th birthday and I’m taking a couple of days off work. So this morning I went out for a run with at least 15 miles planned. I reached half marathon distance in about 1:35 (7:10 pace) and thought about running a marathon. However, my late night on Saturday didn’t help as I started to struggle and my pace dropped to 7:40s. I decided to stop at 21 miles as I wasn’t feeling great at all. However, within a minute of getting home I decided to run on. I don’t like to quit.

So off I set again for the final 5 odd miles with a goal for a sub 3:15 marathon. I wanted to pay homage to this thread! I had to work pretty hard but finished in 3:13:42 for 26.26 miles on my Garmin. I think this is the fastest marathon I’ve done in training.

I’m now enjoying a gin and bitter lemon as I type and have lots of junk food to enjoy too! Happy birthday to me! :)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You are insane!!!! Happy birthday! Shame about the xc. dependant when it falls won't you be in v50 cat next year? 

I did mean to state that factor in my report. I think the stress and pressure of the sub 3 monkey is detrimental to performance particularly during the days before. 
  • That was an amazing report DT - as Badbark said, captured the rollercoaster of emotions. Gul also looking very strong for breaking 3 as well.

Well done on the XC racing Birch - a wet weekend to be in the mud!

Happy birthday BB - that's an incredible casual marathon pace, just knocking out a sub 3:15 on a Monday!

So - "Race" Report from me.

Royal Parks Half Marathon 2018

"Be careful what you wish for" - an apt phrase which totally sums up my experience on Sunday. The Royal Parks Half was my 3rd proper race back in 2014, and having worked events in Hyde Park every year since 2013; I've always been aware of the Royal Parks Foundation. I'm not exactly sure when I got the idea in my head to be their mascot for the race - I assume it would have been after too many pints after a concert in the park, chatting to one of their staff. After applying for 2017 and not being selected, I jumped in early for 2018 and was selected to be "Chester the Squirrel" for this year's race. A chance to do something different and raise some money.

After a summer of not much training, a stag do in Malta last weekend, a continuing achilles and hamstring issue and a newly sprained ankle (stag-do related); I wasn't feeling on form this week, especially after a few days laid up with lurgy (more stag-do symptoms).

At 7:15am I arrived in Hyde Park in the pissing rain with a moderate hangover and a large sense of dread, yet still excited about taking on the role of Chester. I met up with my "bodyguards" (2 friends who I was permitted to have to assist me on the course due to lack of visibility in the costume), and we got suited up in the VIP tent which we were kindly allowed access to (free snacks, nice toilets, C-list celebrities; - dryness!). I first realised that I may have underestimated how tough the day would be whilst doing a pre-race photoshoot in the rain with the press and other event mascots (none of whom were actually running!) - within 10 minutes in the humidity, I was hot, wet and having trouble getting fresh air into the head. Oh well, I thought, just need to get on with it.

A few minutes break for the most complicated toilet stop of my life; then we headed for the start. A lot of "at least it's dry in there", high 5s and selfies with other runners and we were ready to go. The route goes out of Hyde Park, past Buck's palace, then the "wrong" way down birdcage walk; into the city a bit where it winds round and back the "wrong" way down the mall (which feels weird), before entering Hyde Park again at the half way point for the remainder around the park paths and onto the finish.

By half a mile in, I was already struggling with the humidity in the costume, releasing my hands from the paws to allow at least a bit of heat to escape. We made 2 miles at the top of our required pace (8:30), and my friends told me we were OK and could let up if needed. Just before 3 miles I had to take the first pause to get some air and try to fix the head as it was bouncing at every step, bumping into my windpipe every time - not much fun! I must have looked distressed as a medic came over immediately while we were stopped at admiralty arch!

The next few miles went the same, keeping an OK pace, but having to sort the costume issues often. I found although I felt OK to run a bit harder, I needed to breathe deep in order to pull in enough fresh air to the head, however my breath would then cause my little head world to become unbearably hot! However the constant cheers from the crowd, comments and backslaps from other runners kept me going as we got back into Hyde Park to pass halfway just under an hour. The Royal Parks "Team Squirrel" cheering point was there and I took a moment to give them a few squirrel jumps. At this point I knew I wouldn't be able to do the next half at the same pace; there was no breeze in the park to help the airflow and the costume was getting wetter, heavier and hotter as time went on.

The next 5k through the park had some great support, and I did my best to keep going through the crowds, only stopping to get air when there was a break so not too many people would see! We got to the 10mile marker, another team cheer point,  then I just had to have a break from the head yet keep moving. I was given a couple of jelly babies by a kindly supporter; and just kept my feet moving while I pulled air in - it felt like I wasn't able to give my body enough oxygen to let the legs function properly. I made an agreement with myself - get to mile marker 11, stretch the legs and just get the last 2.1 done, with a strong finish for the crowds.

At 11, the last thing I wanted to do was put that hot, wet head on, but knowing I had got that far, I went back into the darkness and we started moving again, just concentrating on breathing slow and shallow, try not to bump into anyone and just put one foot in front of the other. I had no idea of the time at this point and didn't care. The chafing on my inner thighs from the costume was unbelievable; I felt like I had 2 people I was giving piggy backs to and I just wanted to get it done.

Finally the last stretch after the Albert Hall came into sight and we took a second to get my hands back in the paws to make the finish photos look better, before setting off for the final kilometre. I couldn't see from the steam coming into the head, my legs were on fire, breathing was ragged and the snot-production was at industrial levels but we plugged on until at the 400m mark, a filmer/photographer got in front of us to record the finish - ever the show-off I found the energy for some comical high-knee running and then powered through for a final 200m dash through to the finish - although I felt bad for the people pushing through only to have a 7 foot red squirrel beat them to the finish!

Across the line and all I wanted to do was take the head off, suck in air and maybe have a bit of a vomit - however I was under strict instructions not to remove the head in the race village! Managed to keep it together, pick up a fine wooden medal and get guided back to the tent, stopping for a few selfies and high-5s on the way.

After releasing myself from the furry-prison hell and drying off a bit (I was wetter than an otter's pocket); I found out that although I missed my sub 2 target (quite massively), we were still through in 2:14:01 - only 1 minute off the previous fastest to run in that costume! I was disappointed in the time; but have massive new respect for those that have done it before or run any other race in costume - it's a lot harder than it looks.

I look forward to doing the Royal Parks Half again, however suffice to say I will revert to shorts and vest again and leave the guardianship of Chester to someone else for next year!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The other point I had meant to make was that it may only be 6 seconds but when people ask how you got on and you begin with a 2, it is something they associate with elites. The rest of the number doesn't matter as they've made up their mind as soon as you utter the word 2!
  • DT - Great report, I really felt the tension of the last few miles, great effort to get it done. I think its something like 1% of the population run marathons and only 1% of those go sub 3 so you are part of a very small club!

Badbark - Happy birthday!! Shame about the XC but as DT said theres always next year. Love how you knock out a casual sub 3.15 mara on a hangover

Nicko!! - Great report although it doesn't sound like a fun day out! Sounds like it would have been tough even without the rain so huge congrats for getting it done. I hope you recover fairly quickly

• Thanks Stevie - that was a massively negative report but deep down I am glad I did it for the experience, and raised a bit of money for charity.

Apart from the savage inner thigh chafe (looks like I was attacked by a belt sander) I feel fine and looking forward to some trail training before Gower in Nov. (just entered Bath Half as well so I obviously am not too scarred!)
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed both of those reports, DT and Nicko, although I feel a bit bad at how much I was prepared to laugh at the misery of Chester the Sodden Squirrel.  
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    yes, brilliant reporting !  

DT - you really encapsulate the emotional drama of chasing a time goal . . . .      

Nicko - respect to you - I reckon you summed the whole thing up perfectly - "I went back into the darkness"    ;   yes, any way you view it !!    

Badbark - more crazy running and carousing - and I take it the razor is now in the bin ?  

7 miles here -  legs (esp calves) quite stiff after the XC, but loosened as I (slowly) proceeded.

• DT, almost perfect pacing there (not even but tactically I always reckon 1.28.xx for the first half and a solid second makes a sub-3) and a great reward. Very odd the sub-3 pacer going off way too fast and others following him: I guess it was time in the bag plan.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    That's 3 top reports in a row. Superb by all of you. DT that hill at the end in York is a sod.  Gul - target for Rother???  Really good efforts all round. Who's racing next?

Back to the gym today, it was as nasty and sweaty as ever but I knocked off 4m on the dreadie at reasonable pace and feel better for it. Stuck here for a week so must try to go every day. No gymfails to report, apart from the woman the rowing machine drinking an enormous milk shake - had it been a real boat it would've gone round in circles.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nicko, at least your experience has brought us some hilarity!! I don't think it would have been fun whatever the weather. 

pmj, I have had a number of discussions with decent runners on the time banked versus negative split. The general consensus was that runners at our level and even sub elite will fade in latter stages of an all out mara so 90 seconds banked is the best way. 

As for the pacer I was well warned to keep away. He did exactly the same last year and blew up himself and pulled out at 22. I think I'm experienced enough to form my own race plan and execute it as opposed finding out what someone else thinks it should be 5 minutes before I start and blindly following them into destruction. 
  • Myself and Lorenzo up next at Abingdon!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great reports, guys. Your report brought back my own race in Chicago, DT, but 6 mins quicker! I agree that finding your own race plan and pacing comes about through experience and knowing what works for you. Overcoming the pre-race anxiety and executing the plan takes some doing and is all the more satisfying when it works as well as learning for next time when it doesn't. 

You did great, Pal. Proper chuffed for you. Soak it all in and save that report to read before your next challenge.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very busy few days here but just managed a read back.
    Very pleased for you Gul, you will have to think seriously about a 3 hour attempt after that fab effort ;)
    Great report and great achievement DT19, welcome to the club! As you say that small difference puts you in a very elite group mentally and in the perception of others, and once the pressure is off you can definitely go faster.
    Well done on the XC Birch. I’ve tried to find new distances and events to mask my age related drop in form, including marathons, parkrunning, and lately the track.
    That sounds awful Nicko you’ve put me right off a heavy costume. Spider man was easy peasey!
    Happy Birthday Badbark, you have had plenty celebrate this last year!
    Im in the Lakes this week. Man flu has passed but I’m just enjoying easy off-road runs.
  • Birch - thanks, will checkout the youtube link later :)
    PMJ - yes, I got the pre-race bit better this time. Maybe I should have been a bit further forward, but there were no markers within the pen to divide us up further than sub 1:30 so a bit difficult to gauge. 
    DT - really great report. You certainly won the mental battle. Was the final 0.2 miles downhill or flat after the uphill slog? 5:08m is really shifting. I would only just manage 320m at that pace on fresh legs! Excellent work.
    Badbark - hope you had a great birthday. You must have been gutted to miss out on the national team, but I'm pleased to see you haven't lost that craziness! Nice sub 3:15 marathon in training.
    Nicko - that sounds like a dreadful experience. Bet you were so glad to ditch that costume at the end. Is that a marathon you are running on the Gower Peninsula? Awesome.
    Stevie - how's the taper going? Any maranoia yet?!
    OO - pleased to hear the man flu has gone.
    Poacher et al - I said to Mrs GD straight after the race on Sunday that everyone would be saying sub 3 could be on etc... I think I can do much better than my usual 2xHM + 30-odd conversion, but my plan is still to aim for 3:14:xx. I know there have been lots of reasons why I haven't had a good marathon yet, but not even having managed sub 3:30 yet, I think aiming for a 31 min PB might be asking for yet another disaster.
    Pretty much the same pace (7 miles) for me today as yesterday - not done back to back recovery runs before :)
  • Gul - I'm feeling quite relaxed at the moment, resting HR is back to 41 today so the slight cold seems to have gone. My girlfriend is ill though so I'm considering making her sleep in the shed!! 5m tonight with 6 x 1min strides 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, Yes the final 0.2 was downhill which made it easier!

I think you are sensible not to shoot for the stars on this given previous experience. Head out for sub 3.15, maybe come in a bit faster, pushing 3.10, who knows and get that confidence under your belt and it's a smaller gap to bridge next time.

Enjoy the lakes, OO.

Stevie, Sounds OK if you are not losing pay or holiday for it! I see it a lot in what I do, with firms entirely dependant on say a particular insurer for all their work. They then lose the contract and realise they have no other presence, client base or viable business model.

Given you have recently beaten all my other pbs by 4 seconds a mile, are you planning a low 2.58 Sunday??

I've brought my kit to work today but there's no chance I can run. My quads are still too sore and I was up in the night with this issue on the front of my shin. Everytime I moved it was really hurting. I dont like using nsaids as I know plenty of medical people who wont give them to patients etc as they consider them evil, but I have bought some today to ease the soreness.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Great race report @DT19 and @nicko1981 for the RPHM, I ran it but not as a squirrel.
  • DT - The problem is JLR have been very profitable for us over the last few years, we can't turn down the work. Its the smaller suppliers I feel sorry for, this could be what pushes them over the edge. I would take your hand off for a 2.58 now! I think on a perfect day I could maybe do 2.55 but I don't want to be too ambitious. So will probably set off at 6.45s and see how that goes
  • Gul Darr - it's a half (well, 14.1) - there's 10k, full and ultra distances on the same day, all part of the enduranclife coastal trail series, great races - https://www.endurancelife.com/gower 

Stevie - seems like a very sensible pace to go out at - the biggest hurdle probably the first mile to not go out like a bullet.  Sad not to be joining you guys - race number 1001 is sitting on my kitchen table making me feel like a quitter every day!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Stevie, yes some of these companies almost become entities of the supplier and in fact if they lost the contract their staff would go with it to wherever jlr take it.

I suppose you will want to make sure you nail a GFA for 2020 as well? My 2.59 pretty much guarantees me entry for 2020 and gives me 3 marathons to make the 2021 time, after which my time will drop to 3.10 with my age.

I know a lot say 'there are other marathons' but the event and occasion of London truly is something else and it's become a firm fixture in the family weekends away schedule and it's something I want my kids growing up remembering us doing. I cant imagine being in a 'can' situation and not going to it.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Nicko - You made a sensible decision not doing Abingdon so don't worry about it! I think I am going to do Bath half so may see you there.

DT - I loved London and can't wait to do it again so nailing a GFA is one target. Although my dream goal is to get on the champs start eventually if I can do it. The only thing that would stop me doing London is that I also want to do Boston and they tend to clash

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I'm in your camp, DT - 13 Londons here (+ a dns), so 14 campaigns. Always been my favourite, even though the slog out to the expo for number pickup wore a bit thin . . .  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Birch, for me, I still love that moment when you walk into the expo and the 'London music' is blasting out as I grew up watching it every year as a kid. I feel a degree of privilege that something so many others want so badly I can almost guarantee right now and it almost seems wasteful not doing it.

Stevie, still being in your 20s, you are already way ahead of many in just running a marathon in a serious time let alone being in the shape to go sub 3. I wouldn't bet against you get a Champs start in a few years.

I entered Bath this year but it was snowed off. I note they have moved the date deeper into March this year which makes it not possible for me I think. I am hoping to nail my half mara ambitions next year early on at the Brass Monkey.

On the topic of half-mara conversion, for once I have a pretty clear idea. So 1.23.35 early September into 2.59.54 is x 2 (2.47.10) plus 12.44. I wouldn't say it's a great conversion but it must be within the realms of average.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    DT: Totally with you on the London thing. As a kid in South London, I used to go and watch the marathon and never thought I'd be one of those "weird nutters" that actually did it. I was small, weak and feeble with asthma and couldn't run very far. 
    My first Londons were '93 and '94 when I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I did '94 thinking that I was still race fit from '93, barely trained and posted a time just over 5 hours!

I did my first properly trained for marathon in London in 2006 and smashed into the wall at 19 miles. It was horrific, however I did stumble and sob my way to a 3.47 that day.

Since then I've just chipped away at my times but never thought I could go sub-3.15. Since doing it, I want to maintain it for as long as I can.
    Like you, the privilege of getting a GFA makes me feel lucky. 414,000 entered the ballot this year, I feel lucky indeed to have a guaranteed place.
    Hearing that music at the expo has always been part of the excitement for me. Love it!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Track night. Did a 2 mile warm-up to test the legs for the 5k time trial and it was clear I have still not recovered. So instead I was pacemaker for the 21 minute group and helped someone bag a PB. Very pleasing.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Well boys you all did yourselves proud. Brilliant stuff altogether. I'll address each and everyone of you individually even though we are a team!

DT - What can I say other than ... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! You deserved that. Excellent report and I could tell how much that meant to you. There is a saying in Ethiopia when runners talk about marathon times they refer to them as "And". Only one number comes before that and it's a 2. You sir are now a member of that prestigious club. Delighted for you. 

Gul - I really enjoyed your report. I had you down for sub 1;25 and boy you delivered. Great that it all worked out for you after a great campaign. I think you are erring on the side of of caution aiming for sub 3:15 but it's unknown territory for you in a race scenario and if you can keep the pace in check then you should do it without too much trouble all things being well of course. 

Birch -  Very pleasing to see you back racing again and your boy once again had a great run on the country. Chip off the old block! Nice one.

Nicko - That sounded very painful. A mate of mine did one a few years back dressed as scooby do and he had a similar experience. Crazy stuff but fair play. 

Badbark - What's new huh? Gas man altogether. Happy belated to you. 

Jools - Have you got any tune up races lined up soon? 

So, it's Abo boys up next. Hope it's a good one, 

I've just been ticking along nicely here. The legs feel great but I'm being sensible and not doing anything too crazy just yet. Make a change! :wink:

• DT19 - hope the quads and shin are settling down now. I would be very pleased with 2xHM+12 :)
    GD - not surprised you've not fully recovered yet!!! Nice pacing.
    I noticed that Sunday was my first ever 80% WAVA :) If I can bag a GFA place, I would love to do VLM 2020 - ten years after my disastrous debut - just to make amends, but the thought of going to Expo doesn't excite me, I'm afraid. 
    Gradually getting back to something like normal here, with an 11 mile MLR - 3 @ 8:38, 4 @ 8:07 & 4 @ 7:45. Going away this weekend - not sure if I'll get much, if any, running done, so the last 3 weeks have put a big dent in my marathon campaign. Should still be able to get a couple more decent long runs in though hopefully.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul said "I would be very pleased with 2xHM+12"   

ok, last word on the subject, I promise (its not for me to dictate your approach, but it would be so wonderful if you could secure that conversion)  and I really feel you could do it.   

as DT says ,"
    it must be within the realms of average."   I agree - most of my sub-3's would have been (2 x half) + 10 to 12 mins , and many (most) I know of sub-3 standard convert similarly - so we're not talking anything of a very unusual nature.  

I take DT's point re a conservative approach, looking towards a future attempt, but I've always had the mindset of "what if I'm not this fit again"?  if not now, when"?   

As longer standing threadsters will know, this isn't "pie in the sky" thinking - I'll never advise anything I don't think is possible, or that is outside my own experience.   I believe you could do it.  

Still, this isn't "advice", its just my thoughts, based, like I say,  on my own experience, and, I hope, accepted in the spirit it is sent.  

to conclude, I wouldn't think the last 3 weeks have put a "big dent" in your campaign. the big result on Sunday is your marker - take this weekend as a nice bit of downtime, then a good week to come before the taper.   
    :)  

Cheers