Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    speedy, no. i have the nike running app and nike shopping app and have a nike plus membership but so does almost every other runner i know. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Some impressive targets being declared ... best add myself to the list ...

13th January- Brass Monkey Half
    DT- Sub 83/PB

3rd February - Watford Half
    SBD - MP Run (1:30)

17th February Seville Marathon
    OO54 (first to the oranges)
    DT-Village bakery Half- (Sub 83)

24th February Thorpe and Egham Half
    Nicko1981 (< 1:25)

10th March Surrey Half
    G-Dawg (sub 1.25)
    SBD - MP Run (1:30)

17th March Bath Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 (Tempo)

24th March Ashby 20
    DT (Session of some sort)

30th March - World Masters Half
    Speedy Goth

7th April Manchester Marathon
    StevieWh (2:45)
    Nicko1981 (2:59)
    DT -Centurion 5 (sub 31)

14th April Boston UK Marathon
    Gul Darr (Sub 3:15)

15th April - Boston Marathon (the hilly one)
    SBD - 2:59
    Lorenzo

28th April London Marathon
    OO54 (Sub 2, win, beat Mo Farah)
    G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)

• DT19 - that's a very impressive session.

I had half an eye on a parkrun this morning, but need to get on with making a garden planter, so went out early for a long run instead. This too was scuppered though! Ended up cutting it short at 11 miles after another dizzy spell. Perhaps it's time to pay a visit to the GP. I'm probably getting too old for all these early starts.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Gul, lets hope the 2 are unconnected or worst case a later start stops the dizziness. GP sounds sensible though.
  • I think I'll wait until I get home before attempting to update the list. It's bound to go wrong if I try on my phone. Currently wrapped up warm about to watch younger Lorenzito run round Lloyd Park in Croydon in the County Champs. 

Hope the back problem isn't too serious OO (esp given your goal for London) and that you're OK as well Gul.

Good luck to the boys this afternoon G-Dawg. Had the mighty Stones made it through the last round they'd have been up against Fulham but alas it wasn't to be so it's a trip to Hartlepool in the fight against relegation instead! 

Easy one in the cold this morning but planning on running my Box Hill route tomorrow in preparation for the hills of Sheffield the next Saturday.  
  • Gul - i hope it's nothing to sinister, could it be a fueling issue? I can feel like that if I haven't eaten for a while.
    OO - i hope the back clears up for next week. The vlm target makes me chuckle everytime I see it.

6 miles last night at what was supposed to be easy effort. Was really struggling to slow down so averaged 7.53 for 159BPM!! I'm hoping that was a blip as that is sky high! Will reign it in for tomorrow's 12 miler.

If anyone uses the SIS Double Expresso caffeine gels they seem to have discontinued them. However they are still available on Wiggle at the moment. Time to stock up!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The back eased enough for 8 steady, but XC missed :( 
    cant remember ever bombing 2 races in a row- must be going soft
  • Sorry to hear you missed the race OO. 

I made it to mine, and the big names didn't. Two of the biggest names around these parts are in my category too, so rather than running for bronze it was a race for gold, and I won. My own team mates followed my over the line as well, far enough behind me that I didn't need to panic. Overall we were 5th, 6th and 7th. As a veteran team we also beat our club's senior team. One for the old birds! (Seniors finished 1st, 4th and er.... somewhere rather further down the field - results not out yet). 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hi Minni, welcome. Also welcome to Alnwick park run, this will be a really good addition to the map as currently there's nothing between Druridge and Edinburgh.

Good training you lot, I have nothing creditable to report.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    13th January- Brass Monkey Half
    DT- Sub 83/PB

3rd February - Watford Half
    SBD - MP Run (1:30)

OO54 (first to the oranges)

10th March Surrey Half
    G-Dawg (sub 1.25)

Nicko1981 (Tempo)

24th March Ashby 20
    DT (Session of some sort)

Speedy Goth

Nicko1981 (2:59
    Poacher (finish)
    DT -Centurion 5 (sub 31)

Gul Darr (Sub 3:15)

15th April - Boston Marathon (the hilly one)
    SBD - 2:59
    Lorenzo

OO54 (Sub 2, win, beat Mo Farah)
    G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

GD - On your behalf, my new lower league team to support are Woking :)

DT – That’s a very impressive session. I don’t think I could manage those mile paces outside of a race. 

Gul – Sorry to read about your dizzy spells. A Docs visit would be sensible. 

Speedy - Fantastic win! Well done!

I volunteered as Tail Walker at my local Parkrun today. Thanks to a few people who walked the whole way I recorded a new PW of 53:21. At least it still counts as a Parkrun and I’ve now completed 194.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    excellent, Speedy - congrats !!  
  • Well done SpeedyGoth - congrats on the win.

Gul - hopefully it's nothing seriouSts but probably best to visit the doc.

Shame about the missed races OO but at least the back let you get some miles in.

HR doesn't seem that high to me Stevie, but then I always seem to run at a fairly high BPM, and reach a max HR that at my age shouldn't be sensible.

Legs felt horrific today, stiff calves, heavy quads; so the run was not a lot of fun, managed 11 very slow hilly miles around the country roads, then tried to push 2 at the end to 6:40 pace but could only manage low 7:x - though it was a bit of a tricky route with a couple of gates and twists. Ran to and from the gym so jumped on the treadmill for a quick final mile at 6:40 before cooldown. Probably just bike tomorrow so I can give the club run a good go on Monday and get back to pace; and up the mileage sensibly.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking work Speedy you seem to be in good shape.
    Nicko that pace sounds pretty good to me.

I need 17 tomorrow to get to 50 for the week and not at all confident I can manage it with my current hip issues but let’s see.
  • edited January 2019
    13th January- Brass Monkey Half
    DT- Sub 83/PB

10th March Surrey Half
    G-Dawg (sub 1.25)

Nicko1981 (Tempo)

17th March Fleet Half Marathon
    Lorenzo (1:28)

24th March Ashby 20

Speedy Goth

Poacher (finish)
    DT -Centurion 5 (sub 31)

SBD (2:59)
    Lorenzo (3:10)

G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    worth a gp visit, Gul. 

Take it easy, Oo. Hip issues are a mare to resolve when take full hold. 

Nice work, Speedy. 

Badbark, im sure you could. My average pace for each 3 mile block was 6.16. You must have averaged 6.20mm in Berlin, therefore its only a touch faster than your mp. 

Easy 14 tomorrow, which will give me my first 60 mile week since september. taper next week then though before full steam ahead to vlm.

Have you seen this outrage over their decision to not provide guide runners to visually impaired runners a medal? They were never going to get anything but a hammering over that. How many guide runners take part?? It cant be more than a couple of dozen max!
  • Had to cut my 12 mile run short at 5.4 this morning. Was feeling some tightness in my left calf but then suddenly I had a sharp pain in my right calf as my foot landed. Stopped straight away and phoned for a lift home.

Just feels tight now so I'm hoping it's just stiffness from changing my running form.
  • 15 miles up and around Box Hill this morning to bring up just over 50 for the week. Was a few minutes slower than the time I'd normally do that route, but putting it down to the cold and also having run every day for the last fortnight. Will just be a gentle one tomorrow.

Did anyone hear the interview on MT with Ann Ashworth (last year's Comrades winner)? A taper week for her is c. 100 miles and she peaks at about 180 as part of her Comrades training. Is she a relation of yours Badbark?

Hope the calf's OK bb.

DT - not surprised that they've got some abuse about not awarding guide runners a medal. Assuming we're talking about finishers' medals, where's the logic with that? 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

That's good Boston training terrain Lorenzo and a solid week on the mileage.

It would be interesting to see what Ann Ashworth's 180 mile week looks like!

Good call on the immediate stop Stevie - hopefully you caught it just in time.

A good combination of speed and mileage DT.

Hope the hip is holding up OO.

Hope you get to the bottom of the dizzy spells Gul.

Nice XC win Speedy.

20 miles for me today, felt a bit of a struggle in the second half but happy to bank the miles.  Gives me another 75 mile week.  Have another week on the schedule before a cut-back but tempted to bring this forward a week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had to abandon the run today. I woke in the night unable to roll over. When I stand on my left leg it takes my weight but there is hip pain when I try to lift it or move in any direction. Even walking is painful. I’ve never had this before and I’m not sure what sparked it. York looks very doubtful DT.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, good disciplined decision. Hope it's  nothing.

OO, sorry to hear that. We might have had a battle as well....

SBD, nice 20 and solid weeks mileage. 

Nice going, Lorenzo. its crazy because in the article they admit that their volunteers give out the medals and so in reality theyll get one. Why make it an issue then!!

Very low effort 14 today coming in 8.07mm for 142bpm. Gives me 60 for week for first time since September. Taper next week. Im already well over 50% of last January's total mileage. 
  • OO - Sounds like you need to get to a physio, hopefully you're not benched for too long.

DT - Great mileage and a really good long run. You seem in a good place

Calf feels ok now just a bit stiff but no pain. I've ordered some Epsom salts so ill have a salt bath tonight and do some more stretching/rolling. Switched the planned 6 x 1 mile tomorrow for an easy 4 so hopefully should be ok

• OO - sorry to hear about the hip. Hope it's not too serious.
    Speedy - congrats on the win - great stuff.
    Badbark - impressive PW.
    nicko - hope the legs are feeling better today.
    DT - good miles for the week and sounds like you're in good shape for Brass Monkey.
    Stevie - glad the calf is okay-ish.
    Lorenzo - 15 miles inc.Box Hill has got to be a good session at any pace.
    SBD - good long run to end the week.
    Took a rest on Sunday. Feeling a bit tired, so might be a low-level virus. Just going to take it slowly this week and try to get a bit more sleep, so just 6 miles this morning.

• Good to hear the calf is not too bad Stevie - smart decision to call it as soon as there was a question.

Great mileage last week DT and SBDvery impressive.

Sorry to hear about the hip OO - hopefully a bit of rest will clear it up.

Nice little 20 mile bike yesterday with a mate, nice to get back out there and it was a LOT warmer than Saturday which was good, lazy rest of the day so feeling good for some gym today and a good progression run with the club tonight.

Thinking I might do Farnborough Half at the end of the month as a MP run - looks like a good flat course.
  • 13th January- Brass Monkey Half
    DT- Sub 83/PB

27th January - Farnborough Half
    Nicko1981 - MP Run (<1:30) 

10th March Surrey Half
    G-Dawg (sub 1.25)

Nicko1981 MP Run (<1:30, + 8 slow)

17th March Fleet Half Marathon
    Lorenzo (1:28)

24th March Ashby 20

Speedy Goth

Poacher (finish)
    DT -Centurion 5 (sub 31)

SBD (2:59)
    Lorenzo (3:10)

G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yep, just take it easy for a few days, Stevie. I am feeling good, if not fat. My garmin told me during Fridays session that I was 'peaking' so what more proof do I need!!

Gul, yes a low level virus and very early runs are a combination that could bring on a dizzy spell.

Nicko, it was much better yesterday than Saturday. You'd need some serious winter kit to have enjoyed a cycle on Saturday morning. Do you not fancy going hard at Farnborough? I can't see you have any races before and it's 4 weeks before the half you have booked.

• DT - 1:30 might actually be my "going hard" pace at that point! We'll see - I'll leave expectations low, set out just ahead of the 1:30 pacer and see where I get to. 6:40 pace would get me a 1:27:24 which would actually be a PB so I'll maybe set that target.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was a very strange day, I could hardly walk and had to drag my leg- heaven knows what happened in the night!
    Today is much better and I risked a swim- my first in a couple of weeks. I may try a jog or Nordic walk tomorrow and decide about the York race on Friday.
    Good going you guys PBs on a the cards I suspect.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good you're on the mend, OO.

Hope the leg is better soon, Stevie.

Tonight was my first run of the year and the start of the VLM19 Campaign.
    Just a 6 miler but after a week since my last run I thought the refreshed legs could cope with some intervals.
    Did alternate miles of 7.0x and 6.3x. Was pleased with the consistent splits which came out at 7.07, 6.34, 7.05, 6.33, 7.08, 6.32.

Session was Helped by new trainers. My first pair of New Balance, the model is Fresh Foam Beacon. Very light shoe and potentially my new racer. Felt great and NO Achilles pain. 

I chose them as they are so light and are neutral, I usually wear Asics mild support shoes but wanted to change things up to try and sort the pains out. Asics seem a bit heavy and cumbersome these days. I'll wear a mix of shoes for various sessions and see how it goes.

New diet also started today. Feel proper fat after Chrimbo and have quite a few pounds to lose. Not looking forward to the first weigh in on Wednesday.
  • Good to hear that you're recovering OO - hope that you make the weekend race.

A great start to the campaign G-Dawg, very impressive splits. Interesting on the New Balance & Achilles pain - are they super cushioned? I used to run some New Balance and never had issues so maybe need to give them another go as a long run/recovery shoe (not that I need to spend any more money on running).

The usual Monday club session tonight, slow out, progression back - went out a bit too fast again so couldn't pick up enough on the end section - need to learn to stick with the right people! Miles came out 7:50, 7:43, 7:28, 6:42, 6:35, 6:17, 6:1x ish for the final half mile - felt like I was faster on the end than I actually was. 7.5 for the day with cooldown jog.

Meeting new PT tomorrow to set some plans for some complementary non-running sessions, interested to see what he has in store.