Sub 3h15

Comments

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Sorry to read both OO and DT didn’t have your best days. They were still good runs considering the weather.

I ran 10 miles yesterday including a moderate effort of 19:35 at my local Parkrun. I wanted to tire my legs a bit before my 79th marathon/ultra today. It was very windy but it went well and I achieved my goal of a sub 3:15, finishing in 3:12:54. 

I managed a significant milestone today considering this threads title. Out of 66 road marathons this was my 50th sub 3:15:) 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Well done on achieving the 50th Sub 3:15 Badbark!

Tough conditions at Brass Monkey for DT and OO - at least your hip came through the test OO.

Good weekend mileage PMJ - perhaps you need to factor in some cut-back weeks before you reach the dreaded nine.

A solid week G-D - just keep the focus,

With those long runs, the Newton Hills are going to look pretty tame Lorenzo.

Good accidental long run Birch - the speed will return!

Good decision on the skiing nicko - I've done a lot of XC and it does require specific training!  90K untrained would be an interesting experience!

A bit windy here down south but not as bad as York.  After a plodding week, it seemed rude not to nail another 20 miler.   Felt a lot stronger in the final 5 miles compared to last week and even managed a 7:15 m/m last mile.  Another 75 mile week, so time for a cut-back week.

• Good runs from Dt and 0054 in tough conditions.
    Badbark 50th under 3:15 ,nice round number !
    SBD good big week there.
    Actually managed a few runs this week and got 23 mile  in total, a good improvement on the week before where I got 6m.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Come on Leslie pull your finger outs ;)
  • Doesn't sound like much fun in the wind OO and DT - solid results nevertheless.

Congrats Badbark - as usual you are putting the rest of us to shame - 50 under 3:15 ?!!? amazing,

Another Big mileage week SBD  - what was the week's breakdown to make it 75?

PMJ - hoping you get through the 9 healthy this campaign!

Good job getting some miles back in Leslie.

Just a nice windy cycle with friends yesterday, so totalled 42 for the week - need to do a sensible structure this week to allow for a good 10k performance on Sunday - no idea how that's going to go, not done a 10k race in a few years.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nicko for 10k final week prep I’d concentrate on speed work, maybe some mile reps to get used to the faster pacing. I normally do this up to Thursday, then rest or easy runs Friday/Saturday 
    Good luck

• Jools - sorry to hear about your knee. Hope your run of bad luck is well and truly over now.
    nicko - probably the right decision about the skiing - sounds pretty extreme to me. There's always next year.
    Lorenzo - sounds like a good time in Sheffield - congrats to Mrs L again. Nice long run and parkrun too.
    Birch - great to do an accidental long run!
    PMJ - no injury this time, please!
    DT - very frustrating to go all that way and end up with bad conditions again. Great effort though.
    OO - great going considering how your hip was at the beginning of the week.
    Badbark - 50th sub 3:15!!! Congratulations to you; can't be too many people who have done that.
    SBD - great running - looking strong.
    Leslie - wow, nearly a 300% increase!
    After Friday's 20 miler, I already had 61 for the week and as I was still feeling tired, I decided to take a 2 day rest (well, gardening mostly, but definitely more sleep!) 11 steady miles today and felt good.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

what 10k is it, Nicko? I would usually do a targeted session on the Tuesday ie 3 x 1 mile, or 5 x 1k, off plenty of recovery.

Sensible shout, Gul and decent start to the week.

Sounds good, Leslie. Keep at it!

SBD- you are going very well and more than ahead of the game!

Great work on the mara, Badbark. That is some mara record!

The plus point of how yesterday turned out is that I am not completely beaten up today and won't take all week to recover. It was essentially 16 miles with 13 a bit faster than mp, so still a bit tired as it was a big session, along with all the travelling.

• DT - speedway 10k in Beachley under the old Chepstow Severn bridge - apparently super flat (36 ft or something) so a good PB opportunity - looks like a fast field too. Agree that although you didn't get the result you wanted, that is a very good 16mile training session!

Yes will probably do at least one intervals session this week (3 x 1mi @ 6:00ish) and keep it easy after Thursday, maybe get a tempo in early week and the rest as easy miles.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had the same thought DT, legs reasonable today. Will either do a recovery run or swim depending how the day pans out
  • OO54 said:
    Nicko for 10k final week prep I’d concentrate on speed work, maybe some mile reps to get used to the faster pacing. I normally do this up to Thursday, then rest or easy runs Friday/Saturday 
    Good luck

Any training will take 2 to 3 weeks to impact so when you are a week away from the race it is all about mental preparation and resting. If you do speed work it won't physically make you run faster but it definitely helps with those nagging doubts so I may be tempted by an even shorter session, say 800m reps.

If you are doing 10k training then a usual session is 6 x 1 mile reps or 3 x 2 mile reps (and don't get hung up about if they are miles or 1,609 metres if you are on a track) all at your target 10k pace. 

If you do some 800m reps at maybe 5k pace then the 10k pace will feel easier.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, as PMJ says, you won't get any fitter for it. When I do those sessions it's done at 10k pace more with a view to dialling in etc than getting a fitness boost, so 6mm seems rather sharp. Your tempo for the week is the race, don't end up making it a 3 session week.

I've heard about that, quite a small field in last years results, however I recall over half were sub 40 as they market it to faster runners.

Yep, I will do 3-4 at recovery and maybe spin tonight.

• I'm trying to remember what the old marathontalk Jantastic was all about. l think it ran Jan, Feb and Mar (Jantastic, Feb..., Marchvelous) and Jan was about the number of runs, Feb about distance (total, max?) and Mar about a timed effort but that is all I recall. Our team, the consistently consistent sub-3:15 usually did quite well.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Joolska - bad news on the bike accident, it's a potentially nasty and scary thing to happen.  

DT/OO - pretty good effort in the wind.

BB good stats but a way to go to get level with Steve Edwards who i think has 325 x sub 3.15.

Nicko - have you binned the ski thing? It sounds like a great event.

For the uninitiated, Vasaloppet is the first leg of the Swedish Classics - people do them over several years, or all in the same year for extra kudos. 
    1) Vasaloppet 90k XC ski 
    2) Vatternrundan 300k bike sportive (I'm back for no 2 in June)
    2) Vansbrosimningen 3k open water swim
    4) Lidingoloppet 30k XC run
    A chum who has done the lot says the ski is a nightmare (he had never worn skis and came last I think) but the swim was even worse as the last 1km is upstream in a furious, raging river.  The 300k bike is a long way but very doable and you get to eat a lot of pickled gherkins and cinnamon buns en route, which is good.

Parkrun for me on Sat, it was the first one in Alnwick and a lovely course it is too, in lumpy fields opposite the castle. I recorded an absolutely huge PW due to stopping for a chat with marshal Minni whom I've not seen in ages. OO you must come on up.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Indeed I will Poacher, it’s definately on the list
  • Just got back from physio. Grade one calf tear but pleased with how it's healed in a week. Should be back running in two. Got loads of exercises to do to get it strong again and I'll be doing workouts on the turbo in the meantime to keep the aerobic fitness up. 
  • Already it's getting difficult to keep up with the forums. It's really confusing me that so many people have the same (lack of) profile picture. Help me out chaps, put pictures up! By the time I've read through all of the posts I've forgotten who said what!

Just to be awkward for the 10k race, I'd say it's not your target so train through it. I wouldn't personally adjust my training much, maybe just move things around and front load the week so the legs are fresher on Sunday. If you waste time tapering for B races you'll miss vital training for your A race. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

I'd second Speedy's approach to the 10K (the classic Daniel's approach).

Close call on the calf Stevie - just don't rush back too quickly.

Good PR touristing Poacher.

DT - I've done more miles than usual in this initial 5-week block but they've been slower and I've missed a few tempos. Will need to start pushing the pace up in the next training block and getting the weekly tempo runs in. When's your next HM?

Sleep sounds like excellent recovery Gul.

Nicko - my schedule is based around P&D.  So Mon - 6 recovery, Tues - 10 with 5 tempo, Wed - 15, Thurs - 6 recovery, Friday 11 - steady, Saturday - 6 recovery, Sunday - 20

Recovery run today, 6 miles on the treadmill, all nice and easy.

I was just getting used to the warm weather training but it looks like that might be all about to change.  Must dust down the old Yaks ...

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope the healing is quick, Stevie. Will calf compression sleeves help? I wore ones by Compressport when I tore my calf. Got me through Paris that year.

Good but tough session for me tonight. Did a 7 miler which I called Double Doubles. It comprised 1 mile warm up, 2 x 6.3x, 1 mile recovery, 2 x 6.3x, 1 mile warm down.

Splits came out at 7.23, 6.34, 6.33. 7.29. 6.34, 6.34, 7.09. Average 6.54.
    Hard work early in the campaign but a good session done.

Registered on the NYC marathon website but not yet signed up for the race. Still shocked at the $358 entry fee. REALLY? Is that right?
  • $358?! Crikey G-Dawg. I thought the $200 or so for Boston was bad enough. Makes you appreciate London although TBH given the demand I'm surprised they don't jack the price up a bit. Good double doubles there BTW.

PMJ - wasn't it Febulous? Definitely recall some fantastic efforts by the consistently consistent team on here.

Good rest there Gul, although I suspect that you still got up early doors to get a good long rest in!!!

Poacher - did you encourage Minni to get herself back on this thread? 

7.7 miles of commuting for me today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ve been offered a guaranteed entry for nyc marathon based on last years run. I didn’t check out the price- for me it was always a one-off Mara.  Boston next time in 2020. Everything about NY Mara and visiting the city costs an arm and a leg.

Sounds promising Stevie, take care.

I can’t resist giving my 10k efforts a good crack, probably because that’s where my strengths lie and I seem to get better performances. Points above perfectly valid though.
  • Stevie - good that you caught the injury and didn't make it worse; the 2 weeks hopefully won't affect the training too much considering the good shape you are in already.

SBD - that's a solid week of running, fair play with 2 double digit runs midweek and no rest days.

That's a good session G-Dawg - nice pace. $358 for NYC is silly money - I'd want to be carried by Kipchoge for that.

PoacherI've binned it in my mind but until it sells, the start position is still in my name. Got talked into it by mates who have Swedish wives - it'll be great to do, but the Mara is more important at the moment. Fair play to your mate for doing it without ever skiing!

I won't change much for the 10k leadup I think, just move a few things around, as Speedy said, it's not an A race. 6 and a bit tonight for the usual Monday club run; dead watch battery so no stats but the return 5k came in around 19:20 I think, so a decent clip and about the pace I want to run on Sunday.
  • SBD - Great mileage, definitely get the tempo runs in, I find they give the biggest boost to my fitness.

Gul - Glad you are feeling better after a rest.

DT/OO - Well toughed out in the wind, decent results despite the conditions and quick recoveries which is a bonus

G-Dawg - That's a big session! Not sure about calf sleeves, I'll see what the physio says next week. Could be something to consider. The New York fee is ridiculous!

Nicko - You have some lucky friends! ;)Decent run out last night

Started on the calf and glute exercises last night, very hard work! Legs were shaking afterwards but not reaction today which is good. 45 minutes on turbo tonight plus another set of exercises

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Stevie, Just as well you stopped when you did then!

SBD- Next half is Village Bakery in Wrexham which is 4 weeks sunday. I am looking for a bookie that'll take a tenner on a heavy snowfall that weekend.

Nice trot, Nicko. It's a fair point Speedy makes, particularly as you are doing Manchester so that bit further along the process than the London runners are.

Speedy, as far as i can see everyone on here has a profile pic?

Decent session, G-Dawg. I won't be doing NY anytime soon then if that's just the entry cost!!

12 mile mlr planned lunchtime. Definitely no need to take a post race recovery break!!

• Poacher - good excuse for a PW.
    Stevie  - at least you're on the mend now; 2 weeks will fly by. All those exercises are good discipline.
    Speedy - my memory is getting so bad that I add comments after reading each post ;)
    SBD - hope you're going to be out in the cold and not on the treadmill!
    GD- sounds like a good session, but that entry fee is unbelievably exorbitant.
    Lorenzo - yes, early start for a good rest is 9pm.
    12 miles this morning - 2 w/u @ 8:04/m and 10 @ 7:14/m.
  • x-post DT - 12 milers are de rigueur today.
  • I was obviously non de rigueur with an 8. 102 miles for the month and it is day 15 of a 31 day month so maybe the 200 will happen: not done that since October 2016. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 12, Gul. Just back from mine, a rather more sedate 8.07mm average. Still got some leg fatigue from Sunday.

As per PMJ, that has taken me to 101 for the month with just over half to go.

• Joined team 12 as well with a very gentle 8:30 average.

Great pace on yours Gul
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Wow I thought NYC mara was pricey back in 06 but this is exponentially, daftly ridiculous. OK it's an expensive city, and a good race, but...

Nicko - probably a good decision.  But got to do it one day, if only for the inevitable gherkins. 

Lorenzo - Minni is planning to run London - so Chandos it is.