Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Just a 3.5 mile recovery yesterday to bring 42 up for the week. Legs felt trashed, so definitely needed the flush out.

A friend of mine is training for Manchester and stubbed his big toe on a rock near Leith Hill on Saturday (Lorenzo, it's Rich). The trip caused a proper tumble but he carried on with a sore foot for another 9 miles or so.

He got an X-Ray later in the day and it's a spiral fracture of the big toe. I've seen the X-Ray pic, looks nasty, proper gap in the bone. They'll update him on the time to get back running in the next couple of days but my reading suggests 4 weeks for a big toe. Not ideal in a marathon campaign. 

Anyone here ever done similar? Looking for some good news to relay.
  • DT - good 2x3M and easy long run.
    Birch - that mileage is just mind-blowing - you are a legend.
    GD - well done grinding out that 17 miler. Bad luck for your friend. Hope he's not out for 4 weeks.
    Badbark - cracking run - all looking very good.
    Lorenzo - nice pace on your long run.
    nicko - well done on the sub 40 and PB. I'm sure there's a lot more to come.
    Speedy - good long run - were you on your own or was the young lad with you?
    Poacher - congrats to Poachette - quite a talent. Enjoy your chips. Finished the new path finally with yew trees and edging - still got loads of gravel left. Shed is due for delivery tomorrow - hope I've cleared a big enough space in the garage. Fortunately, my father-in-law is going to help assemble it, but not sure when just yet.
    OO - nice weekly mileage.
    Another weekend off running after clocking up 68 during the week - I'm quite enjoying this new routine! 12 miles this morning averaging 7:37/m - second half maybe 20-30s/m quicker than the first, but couldn't be bothered to work it out. Feeling very relaxed about this campaign :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    "couldn't be bothered to work it out. Feeling very relaxed about this campaign
    excellent , Gul  
    :) 

Steve Jones never wore a watch 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes good attitude Gul, comes with experience. I must say that now I’ve given up on Seville in 4 weeks and am treating it more as a holiday with a long training run included I’m also feeling more relaxed.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    With London not really being a PB course compared to Chicago, I too am in a more relaxed frame of mind but still with good discipline to get the sessions done each week and to quality.

Looking at stats on here and from a couple of you I follow on Strava, I need to up a few midweek distances and not get so hung up on speed all the time. Speed sessions will still deliver and I may have fresher legs as a result.

Even on my Recovery yesterday, I had to make sure I talked myself out of adding strides etc and just do the 3 miles as a flush-out from the LSR the day before.

I've been called into a client meeting in London today and it's pretty much blown out any chance of running tonight. Despite being mighty miffed, I actually know it's a good thing as I feel my legs need a day off.
  • Thanks for the comments on my 10k race, suppose I should be happier with the PB, just felt I didn't run at full performance, onwards and upwards though - Farnborough half on Sunday, see how that goes.

G-Dawg - sorry to hear about your friend's injury, must have been a painful one. Not had anything similar but have managed to come back from injury midway into a campaign and PB'd - so he may still be able to put in a decent performance despite missing a big chunk, hopefully he can keep spirits up.

Great weekday mileage Gul , loving the relaxed attitude too.

Took it easy at the Monday club run tonight - 6 and a bit, first 3 @ 8:00, final 3 came in 7:37, 6:45, 6:33 and a final short 400m burst @ 5:30pace. Feeling suprisingly relaxed and comfortable.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GDawg, in previous campaigns the higher mileage has not compromised my speed at the shorter distances. I know it’s different for others though. You are right about those mid week runs or double days as an alternative. 
    Dont worry Nicko it’s that not being satisfied that drives us all on.
    I had a 7 hours return drive to Manchester today. A 4.5 mile plod was all I could manage after. Swim and run planned tomorrow.
  • A lot to catch up on in here!

Nicko - Congrats on the PB, never be disappointed with one! Good luck in Sundays half

Gul - Sounds like the relaxed approach is working for you! Glad the shed arrived safely!

Badbark - That is a huge amount of miles! I doubt ive even hit 10% of that

G-Dawg - What makes you say London is not a PB course? The crowds? I feel everyone trains differently so you may not necessarily need to change

Poacher - Congrats to Poachette on the England vest! Looking forward to seeing what she does at London

Physio has given me the all clear to start building the running back up again. Just 2 x 5 mins tonight then progress from there. Will keep topping it up with the cross training. Had a good week last week with intervals on the cross trainer and almost 4 hours on the bike including a big pyramid interval session and 18miles out in the countryside on Sunday.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Birch - like the footnote at the end of your posts :)
    GD - hope your legs appreciated the extra recovery. Boston is definitely a PB / GFA attempt for me - but still trying to keep relaxed about it!
    nicko - good session after the 10k.
    OO - Yes, 7 hours driving is not exactly ideal pre-run prep.
    Stevie - good news from physio - steady as she goes.
    13 easy miles this morning - avg pace of 8:14/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, i'd take it reasonably easy this week now if the half is an all out attempt. Let yourself recover and absorb the training effect from Sunday. The fitness boost from those two races will compensate for the taking it easy through the week.

Poacher, congrats to your niece. Be good to see how far she can get with it all.

Stevie, good to hear you can get back to it. Just as well you stopped that day otherwise you might have added weeks on to things.

Gul, nice couple of longer runs to kick the week off. Sounds like you are in a good place with it all.

G-dawg, yes I think it would do you the world of good to let some runs just be an effortless float. At the level most of us are at here, a lot of our running shouldn't be faster than 8mm pace in my opinion.

Talking of which, 6 mile recovery last night at 8.30mm followed by spin. Bit of a session over lunch. Crisp and sunny here right now but snow and sleet showers forecast from sort of lunchtime so I am hoping they hold off as touch.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read, parkruns ranked in order of speed using runbritain average sss difficulty score. 
  • DT - Yes I think I dodged a big bullet canning that run and also getting into physio fairly quick. My calves actually feel better then before I had the problem. Will see how they feel after a run tonight. Interesting to see that list, thought Stratford would be a bit higher up but I guess being 3 laps doesn't help.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Badbark, what pace do you plan on running the 100k? Do you run faster for 50k in training or try to keep it at 100k race pace? I'm eying one up myself for October (if I can get the time off work). 

My A goal in the 100k is to break 8 hours so that’s 7:42 m/m pace. However, with a holiday in 3 weeks (5 to 4 weeks before the race) I’ll not be at 100%. My B goal is 8:30 which is 8:11 m/m pace. I intend to run around 7:30 to 7:40 to begin with and see how long I can hang on. I’m trying to run a lot of miles around this pace in training.

I don’t have much experience training for 100k. I think it’s a difficult distance to train for. 50k training isn’t really any different from marathon training. Training for 100+ miles is just about running lots of slow miles. However, 100k on the road is somewhere in between and brutal. Having to run a decent pace for 8 odd hours scares the bejezus out of me. I rather be doing a 24 hour race! :)

• Thanks DT - Farnborough won't be all out, but I'll be trying to keep it MP or a bit faster. Was going to run today but just did a PT session where I basically crumbled to dust at the end so will be resting up. Did some fun stuff though.

Stevie - good to hear you are back at it.

Parkrun list is interesting - my local comes in at #491 - it's a hilly bastard.

Badbark - that's a crazy 100k pace - you are the man.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Was able to WFH today so bagged 10 miles at lunchtime. Light shoes and rested legs, I felt quite bouncy, so in contradiction to my comments above, I stuck on the pace that felt comfy and strong without being over taxing. Came out at 7.01 pace. 

Sort of needed that as a sign that I was heading in the right direction. So nice running in the daylight too, probably another reason I felt good.

Glad I got out too, heavy sleet outside now and temps dropping. Brrrr!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Decent session over lunch, 10 x 1k at hmp-10kp off 1 minute. Reps came in 4.01, 3.54, 3.52, 3.53, 3.53, 3.48, 3.53, 3.48, 3.55 and 3.49. My average moving time for the session was 6.13mm so in reality it was 10 x 1k at threshold.

The second half of the session the 1 minute interval seemed to go faster and faster. 9.5 miles in total with wu and cd.

12m mlr tomorrow night which wont be enjoyable in the dark.

• On my own Gul, running laps of the boating lake like a nutter!

Badbark, I was hoping to get some training tips from you so that's not what I wanted to read LOL. I haven't entered yet as I need to do a little more research on where to stay and how to get there, but it is a road 100k. I want to meet the standard to be eligible for selection for the England team for the Anglo Celtic Plate 2020, which is 8.45 I think. It *sounds* realistic, but I really don't know if it actually is!
  • Speedy - That's a great goal! I cant imagine running anything over marathon distance, let alone 100k!

DT - That's a cracking session, you're certainly going well.

G-Dawg - That's very quick! If you're feeling comfortable at 7.01 you must be starting to think of getting close to 3.00 in the marathon?

Comeback was a disaster last night. 2 mins in my left calf (not the bad one) went really stiff and tight so had to stop. Physio and Coach both think that is something neural causing it rather then any further damage. That has made me feel a bit better about it. Got lots of neural stretches to do tonight and foam rolling to try and release it then will try again tomorrow

• GD - that's a cracking lunchtime session.
    DT - ditto. Running in the dark is enjoyable!
    Speedy - you wouldn't catch me doing laps ;) Okay, that was a bad choice of word, but you know what I meant! I would like to try an ultra or two, but it never seems to work out. Peddars Way ultra is this Saturday, but wasn't possible this year for me (again!) The next local one is the Norfolk 100km in June, but it's a huge step up from a marathon.
    12 mile plod this morning (8:50/m!) - in the dark of course.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Badbark, I was hoping to get some training tips from you so that's not what I wanted to read LOL. I haven't entered yet as I need to do a little more research on where to stay and how to get there, but it is a road 100k. I want to meet the standard to be eligible for selection for the England team for the Anglo Celtic Plate 2020, which is 8.45 I think. It *sounds* realistic, but I really don't know if it actually is!

Sorry Speedy! :smile: Well if things go well for me I’ll share my training plan. If they don’t then I’ll still share so you’ll know what not to do!

Good luck your qualification for next year.

GD – Great pace for a 10 miler

DT – That’s another impressive session

Stevie – Sorry your comeback didn’t go well. Good to know you have a coach and physio for advice. I hope you improve soon

Gul – 100k is definitely a step up from the marathon but I think you could be a natural. Your early morning starts show a certain mind-set that I think we share.

I managed my target 7:40 pace today for 9 miles, after 7:15 for 10 miles yesterday. I’ve got to keep practicing 7:40 pace on tired legs. Tomorrow I rest from running but will be doing a weight session including squats and deadlifts.

I’ve a 10k race on Friday night which starts just over a mile from my house. It’s through a hilly forest so should be interesting- headtorches are compulsory. On Saturday I hope to run 35 miles on tired legs.  

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    After a Friday race, 35 on Saturday sounds grim to me, BB

Sorry to hear about the new pain, Stevie.

Solid session DT. Good luck with the 12.

Another dark run there GD. You must eat loads of carrots!?   :D

Haven't worked from home for a while and then 2 days in a row.
    Nipped out at lunchtime and did mile alternates. Session was 3 x 6.3x and 4 x easy. Hit all the markers, went a shade quicker than easy on the final mile and the session average was bang on 7.00.

All day meeting tomorrow so a good rest day before 3 days of easy runs including an LSR over the weekend.
  • Slow 6 in the snow, what a nice day for a run.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That looks very nice, PMJ.

Just enough snow here to cover the ground and freeze!

Good going, G-Dawg. I have the wfh tomorrow and Friday so can enjoy daylight runs.

Badbark, the race sounded grim and hazard filled enough to make me whince, before I got as far as the 35 miler!!

Stevie, that does sound odd and frustrating. Hope you get it resolved ASAP! Might you consider deferring Manchester for something later in Spring like Edinburgh?

12 mile mlr tonight as previously mentioned. Due to be -2 at 6pm so even more unpleasant!

• DT - Stratford Marathon is 3 weeks after which is Plan B I think. No travel costs involved in that one and I get to run through my home village. Haven't given up on Manchester yet though. Enjoy the MLR, I quite enjoy running in the cold as long as I've got enough layers on!

Excellent photo PMJ! Virtually no snow round me!

• Probably worth repeating some age-old advice.

At this time of year, it isn't unusual to miss a few days due to bad weather or poor health. Do not try and catch up on any lost training, so if you have a 60 mile week planned and you miss a couple of mid-week runs which should have added up to 12 miles, just finish the 48 miles and forget about the 12. 
  • Great 10 miler G-Dawg - definitely a good sign of current form.

DT - excellent 1k repeats - that's a lot of them and not much rest, fair play.

Sorry to hear that the comeback's not gone to plan Stevie - best not to push it though. Still time to recover and put in a good performance at Manchester I'd think.

Lovely photo PMJ, what great scenery to run in.

No snow here, though outside didn't feel very welcoming today so I trained in the warm gym on the treadmill, 7 miles @ 6:39 on 1% incline; and a couple of miles cooldown. Not too easy, not too difficult so fairly happy with that. Good to run in the warm indoors sometimes - just in case we get the heat again in April!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, yes i forgot about Stratford. good reserve option. Though i wouldnt fancy those last few miles up the Greenway. 

Good session Nicko. 

12 done. It was a bit grim as i just ran 6 miles down A38 then turned around and did 6 miles back. 8.09mm for a lowly 137 bpm.

If anyone still wants a crack at getting into London i note runners world are advertising for pacers. Most intetestingly they are looking for 2.50 pacers as well this year. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had a sore back yesterday and so took an unplanned rest day. Today I ran 17 miles at plod pace to catch up ( sorry PMJ read your post too late!). Very cold here in the North East but no snow.
    Hope you are ok Stevie...
  • DT - Its not the greenway that will bother me, I run that quite often on tempos. Its the big hill that I will have to climb at mile 7 and 18! It was bad enough doing it once on the half! Great MLR

OO - Well done on getting the 17 in. Is it you who wheres skechers? I brought a pair on impulse in London the other weekend, haven't tried them yet though.

Another good session Nicko!