Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a tough session DT..
    pancakes definitely get priority over running Gul.
    I swam yesterday and ran this evening. Legs still feel a bit shakey so may swim again tomorrow. Many pancakes consumed:)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Birch - if the knees hold out you should be a shoe in for sub4. You know you want to. 

No run today but not working so took the opportunity to knock out 70m on the bike.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Poacher is that 70 miles or minutes (not meters I assume ;) )
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Well spotted, I rode 35 metres to the nearest cafe, had coffee and cake, read the papers, dealt with emails etc, then rode home. You can’t accuse me of slacking.

Actually the legs are stiff this morning so not sure the Friday mara is going to be joyous.  Schoolboy error.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good session there, DT.

Having a recovery week/mini taper this week in prep for the Surrey Half on Sunday. Just 5 miles last night at steady feel which came out at 7.00 average.
    Legs still not 100% but felt fairly strong overall. Will do another tonight.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    What's your target for the half gdawg?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    DT - yes, great control in executing that session without pushing it too hard.
    Poacher - sounds like my kind of bike workout ;) Rest those legs now.
    GD - after a mini taper and if the conditions are favourable, you will be firing on all cylinders and should have a cracking HM.
    16 miles this morning, including the remainder of yesterday's reps! Did about 7 miles around 8:15/m, then the 3 reps (3:51, 3:48, 3:33), and just short of another 7 miles around 7:45/m.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    OO - targeting the 1.25 PB from last year but looking at that run on Strava, I can't believe I held that pace for the whole distance! :-D

Anyway, I'm quite interested to see how I feel after a cut-back week and if the body adapts well to recent training, then see how that carries into the remaining campaign.

I've had enforced cut-back weeks in past campaigns and they've ended up in a mara PB, so I'm not as stressed about a lay-off as i normally would be. At 51, a recovery period in a campaign is good for the body and mind, I reckon.
  • Nice to see you back Poacher. I'd be tempted to run Manchester as a last LSR, but I really don't think I could pass as a Derek!

Just had two days off due to a minor lurgy. Tonight's 10 was slow and snotty but all above the neck and I'm sure I caught it in time. HR back to normal today. In previous years I would have panicked, but like G-Dawg, I'm quite chilled about it now. Better 2 days off than getting a horrendous infection and missing the marathon (hello 2013!). 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice miles Gul!

Manchester is a workmanlike course, largely flat, generally good weather, it would indeed make a good VLSR.  Take care CC, GD...Poachette was given a very scary (sub 2.35) training plan for the London debut  but immediately spotted what we all know i.e. getting to the start line in one piece is the real priority and what happens on the day can then take care of itself. 

No running today but shifted about 400kg of very wet manure onto the allotment which was quality cross training. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Very sensible on the rest Speedy.

You should be in good shape for Sunday G-D although is looking a bit windy at the moment!

That's a lot of mid-week miles Gul but good to see you got the missed intervals in.

Hope the legs recover for Friday Poacher.  Which marathon are you running?

Excellent 10 miles of tempo DT - fast and consistent paces with a very low relative HR.

Sub 4 hours should be a breeze Birch - Autumn (still time for an Abingdon entry) or Spring 2020?

An impressive run at Haweswater OO - a very fast time given the course and conditions.  And well done on the prize!

I haven't measured the resting heart race for ages so had a quick check before today's run - 39 was the result which from memory is as low as it has ever been.  So either I'm getting fitter or age is catching up!

Wet and windy this afternoon so the planned 15 miler wasn't very appealing.  Not too bad once I hit the road but the legs were a bit reluctant to go faster than 8:00 m/m pace in the first half.  Ended up attacking the downhills and uphills over the second half for some Boston-specific training.  Managed to hit 6:17 m/m pace on the final run in with an average pace of 7:43 for the day.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    HR also 39 today, SBD. Usually around 42 so maybe a glitch on my watch?

Funny enough, I used HR as a guide tonight on my run, which is rare. Only another 5 miles but ran easy to keep fresh in prep for Sunday. Average pace was 7.17 with avg HR at 129. Felt like my thighs needed some foam roller treatment so I’ll sort that.

2 days off now and just a 5k ponce about on Saturday before race day.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I caught the worst of the rain at the end of my run and was soaked through. 
    Caution and rest seems to be the watch word at the moment. Speaking of which hope you are ok Badbark.

Tempted by your Manchester place Poacher as my middle daughter now works there. Unfortunately it’s also the Blyth 10k that day which is the UK Vets (Masters) championships and I’ve entered.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Speedy - hope you're over the lurgy now.
    Poacher - hope it doesn't get too ugly on Friday. What's the profile / terrrain like?
    SBD - good 15 miler with some Boston-specific training thrown in.
    GD - hope you're recovering / resting well and chomping at the bit on Sunday.
    OO - plenty of rain here yesterday too, but dry this morning.
    12 miles this morning - first 6 @ 8:39/m and last 6 @ 7:35 /m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 15, SBD.

Its quite interesting looking how completely incomparable hr data is between runners and how personal it is. G dawg did 7.17 pace over 5 miles at 129bpm. I would say for me to post 5 miles at that hr I would have to run 8.30-9mm dependant on various factors.

Good luck Friday, Poacher.

Good luck on the weekend G-Dawg. Im sure you  are good for your target.

Gul, nice switch of paces.

5 heavy legged miles last night followed by bodypump. 11 mlr planned tonight. Looking forward to a good break this weekend now. Should have a peroni in hand by 2pm tomorrow!

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    As usual lots to catch up on after a few days off the forum; looks like everyone has been logging some good miles and many pancakes!

Stevie - Hopefully you will still be able to get a sub 3 at Manchester; you seem to be in good form despite the calf issues.
    Nice 10 mile result Leslie, sounds like conditions weren't that favourable.
    SBD - great result at Olympic Park, kept nicely to the plan it seems?
    DT - fantastic 20 mile session there, very impressive; and an equally strong 10 on Tuesday - great efforts.
    OO - great result at Haweswater - I think you are going to get the London smackdown victory on Sunday for sure!
    Poacher - welcome back, shame you won't be joining us at Manchester.

Arrived back from Sweden late Tuesday night; only got a couple of small runs in there as stupidly I unpacked my trail shoes before departing and it ended up snowing a lot while there. 11 last night and a tempo planned today though to get back into it properly. Might even hit the track this evening for some social reps.

The vasaloppet cross country ski race I went to watch was very interesting, but I am glad I dropped out and sold my place - I don't think it's for me. Apparently it was a bad year for it with a lot of wind and fresh snow - my friends only made it half way before hitting the cutoff time - apparently due to a humongous bottleneck at the start which scuppered the first couple of hours. Good weekend away though; nice food, a good amount of beers and even managed to fit in a little bit of real skiing.

A bit worried about the target for London Big Half after my couple of setbacks with illness but still will aim for that sub 1:25 (seems to be the thread target for this Sunday's races. And more worried about Manchester's sub 3 - need to log some volume over the next 3 weeks mainly for confidence I think.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm in 2 minds about London Nicko, I'm sure I could go sub 1:24 if conditions are good. However it's my daughter's first half mara and I'm tempted to just jog round with her in 2 hours. I haven't cut back at all this week. Two long swims, 2 long runs and a track sesh planned tonight. I'll go easy tomorrow and rest Saturday.
    Talking of HR does anyone trust in the Garmin V02 measurements? I've been high 50s the last few weeks and peaked at 61 before dropping back a bit. I used to be steady mid 50s.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

As Nicko said theres lots going on in here, can tell the Spring marathons are round the corner.

Leslie - Great result in the 10m race, especially in the wind and rain!
    SBD - Excellent 10k result and congrats on the category win!
    OO - Great result at Haweswater, good luck on Sunday!
    Poacher - Good to see you back, good luck in tomorrows marathon. Shame you cant make Manchester
    DT - That is two excellent sessions! Enjoy the rugby and beers at the weekend
    Gul - Excellent k reps, good to see you've entered another race!
    G-Dawg - Im sure you'll feel fresh by Sunday, good luck
    Nicko - Do you know what start pen you are in for Manchester? The start list is up now, I'm in Pen B. Good luck Sunday!

Still progressing the training. Did a 6m tempo last week headwind on the way out and behind me coming home. Averages of 6.42/6.32 so pretty pleasing. 6 x mile reps of 60s on Tuesday. Started at HMP then worked down to 10k pace, overcooked the 4th rep with a 6.01 and clung on for 6.10, 6.11 in the last two. Still a good workout.

8m tempo planned for tomorrow and a 15m long run on Sunday. Legs are feeling good with no niggles so with 3 more weeks of training in the bank hopefully Manchester will be a good day

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds solid, Stevie.

OO- Mine sits between 59 and 61 generally yet I know people at my fitness or a bit below at mid 60s and then people fitter than me a few below so whilst I panic if it drops below 59 and get excited when it reaches 62, it means very little. Equally I now and again get it to activate and detect LT. It currently has that at circa 7mm, despite doing a 10 mile tempo on Tuesday. It seems a rather undeveloped tool at this point, but i'd think in time, like vo2 it would give estimates based on certain runs that might or might not be at lt effort.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    OO - I'm sure your daughter would appreciate that; if you do decide to go all out though I'll keep an eye out for you - will give me someone to chase!

Stevie - great tempo run and mile repeats, still looking strong. Just checked the Manchester start list and I'm up in A - so you'll have to give me a shout when you speed past me at mile 1.

6 miles with 1 w/up; 4 @ 6:20 (split into 2x2 due to needing a P155), 1 c/down. It's off and on pissing rain at the moment so not sure if I'll go back out tonight; maybe just have a swim instead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Stevie, what time did you put down for pen B? I am assuming sub 2.55 as you will have entered after Abingdon? Even in London sub 3 gets you in pen 1.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Had a couole of weeks away and tons gone on as usual.
    Badbark-gutted to hear you're potentially missing out on a vest,something most of us can't even dream of,good luck.
    Steve-Im in pen b,and put down 3:10 I think so you need to sneak into pen A,it's pretty easy.
    OO-that would be great for your daughter,esp when she goes through a tough stage.
    Some more massive miles been going on so well done to all.
    I developed laryngitis nearly 2 weeks ago,so no running for over a week as I felt like crap,easy 4,5 and 6 miles last 3 days but feel like I'm well behind now.Due to this I'm probably  going with a 10 day taper,I've done marathons 2 weeks apart and felt fine so hopefully recover ok.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Just checked my emails and I entered before Abingdon so I was obviously modest with my predictions! I will aim to get to the front of Pen B or sneak into A.

Great tempo Nicko
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - I've given up looking at HR now - optical HRM is just too unreliable to worry about.
    nicko - sounds like you made the right decision about the skiing. Hope you haven't lost too much fitness. Nice tempo run.
    OO - if I can't trust HR, then I certainly don't trust VO2 max!
    Stevie - looking good for Manchester. What sort of taper are you planning?
    Ian - sorry to hear about the laryngitis. 10 day taper will be fine.
    Vaguely following P&D and this week includes 20 with 12 @ MP. I did the 20 miler this morning but didn't hit MP until mile 8, so came out as 7 @ 8:09 /m and 13 @ 7:13 /m. Brings up 69 miles for the week. Will take a 2 day rest again this weekend.
    All the best to GD and SBD this weekend.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Speedy – Glad to read you are recovering from lurgy with a normal HR. Wise taking a few days off.

Poacher – Lovely sounding cross training

SBD – Nice resting HR, I’m around the same. That’s a very good 15 miles including an impressive fast finish.

GD – That’s a great low HR for that pace. Good luck in the race!

Gul – Good 12 miles

OO – Thanks for asking about me. Good weeks’ worth of running and swimming done! I’d take the Vo2 max measurements with a pinch of salt. I sit around 60 but have went up to 65 and down to 55 without any difference in fitness.

Stevie – Great tempo and interval sessions this week. Importantly you have no niggles so all looking good for Manchester

Nicko – Excellent nippy 6 miler. 1:25 looks a good target in the HM

DT – Enjoy the Peroni! Yeah my Vo2 sits around 60 too according to Garmin.

Ian – Glad to read you have recovered from laryngitis and are running again.

Well I’ve had an interesting few days. On Wednesday night I was close to tears with the pain and frustration of my injury. It hasn’t helped that I have also injured my chest while doing weights. Something crunched around my sternum area last Friday and I have been in pain ever since. I can’t push with my chest without sharp pain so even getting off the ground is difficult. Thankfully it is slowly getting better every day.

Wednesday was my lowest point as I began thinking I might not run again. I’ve been diagnosed with L3/L4 and L4/L5 Facet Arthropathy which is scary to read about and degenerative. I’ve been going to a physio which is a first for me. By Wednesday I had not improved after 12 days without running and every step was still painful.

However, yesterday I had another session with the physio and was able to walk without serious pain for a few hours. The pain returned later but the respite was encouraging.

This morning is the first morning I have noticed any improvement at all. The pain is down to 5 out of 10 from the previous constant 7.

So finally I see light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve been warned it could be 4 to 6 weeks before I run again and I will have to me more mindful and careful in future. My days of high mileage and more importantly downhill trail running are over. To be honest this is somewhat of a relief. I’ve been pushing my old body too hard for too long for years, in the constant quest for PB’s and improvement. It’s time to relax a bit and take back the enjoyment of running again.

Good luck to all the weekend racers! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Badbark that is a remarkable reaction to what for many would be devastating news. You have pushed your body way beyond what most of us could contemplate let alone endure. Of course it's early days and I'm not convinced we've seen the last of Madbark ;)
    Take care buddy and enjoy the enforced rest.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Gul - Thats a cracking long run. At the moment the plan is for a 1 week taper but we are playing things week by week!

Badbark - Thata good news that you have a clear diagnosis and you are feeling positive about it! I'm sure it won't be long before you are out enjoying your running again.

8m tempo at 6.30 average. Slowest mile of 6.33 and fastest of 6.25 so nicely grouped. Felt controlled and slightly easier then last week's. HR confirmed it with an average of 169. 15 to do on Sunday
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nicko not sure how to spot you but I’m 1994 Orange and look like this 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

It's good that you have a diagnosis Badbark.   You've had a remarkable run of injury-free running - hope the recovery is quick and that you can find the right balance once you get back to some running. 

Good tempo session Stevie.   What's the longest you've run since the injury and what long runs are you planning before Manchester?

Good 20 miler with 12 at MP Gul (my P&D has this down as 20 with 14 at MP!) - enjoy the rest days.

Bad news on the laryngitis Ian but good to hear you're now back running.

Good luck to OO and Nicko for Sunday.  Timely speed on the tempo session, Nicko.

12 miles mid-afternoon for me in windy conditions.  One of those runs that started slowly and makes you wonder if your fitness has deserted you but then speeds up and makes you realise the fitness levels are not too bad after all. 

It's looking windy for Sunday and the Surrey HM - may need to find a suitable group to run with/behind.   

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SBD - 12 is my longest post injury. Will do 15 on Sunday, 18-20 with MP next weekend and then 20-22 the week after. I think that's the plan anyway, I leave everything up to my coach!