Sub 3h15

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Badbark - good to hear that the pain is subsiding a bit, sounds horrible but you seem to be staying positive and will hopefully be back to crazy form soon. With your high mileage you've done amazingly well to stay injury free in the past I think.

Stevie - 
    great tempo there - I would say yes try and sneak into the A pen for Manchester - personally I am just going to find the sub 3 pacer from the start and stick religiously with that pack until at least 20 miles. If I go too far ahead I'll go too fast first mile so even if they are in the B pen I will drop back.

Gul - another great run; not looking forward to that session next Sunday myself; at least I have a race environment to knock out the MP miles in, can't imagine trying it without.

SBD - 
    good luck for Sunday - looking windy for all the races, hopefully we get a bit lucky with some lulls and majority tailwind.

OO
    - I'll be wearing a white vest with red horizontal stripe - Bristol and West AC - I'm the ugly baldish guy looking nervous! I'm in Orange pen A - #3031.

Here's a Vitality-race shot from a couple of years back to keep it on-brand (will be in different race gear but I have the same face unfortunately):

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ok Nicko will look out for you ;)
    Train to London delayed 3 hours not the ideal prep
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    That's a huge delay! Hope you get there at a reasonable time.

Wind is looking pretty damn strong - just had an email they are cancelling some structures/stage stuff for the festival thing afterwards.

Looks like it's all from the West so at least from halfway it'll be mostly tailwind to the finish. Need to find someone solid to shelter behind for the rest!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nicko - probably the right decision, the Vasaloppet sounds seriously tough for those not born on skis

Old man OO keeping up with his speedy daughter? NO chance!  ;)

BB so sorry to hear that. Serious stuff, but your attitude is spot on. I'm sure you will come back well from this.

I am now benched too. Over to Merseyside on Friday for that rarest throwback of events, a 6 hour distance challenge. The course was a 500 metre lap of Liverpool Hope uni campus. I thought 100 laps for 50k would be a nice marker even on a filthy day, but the subtle cambers and repeated tight turns (plus avoiding dopey students glued to their phones) mean that something pinged in my right knee and I was forced to stop at 85 laps which is mara distance.  It feels like my old chum, a.k.a. a knackered medial ligament, and it's painful to stand up, walk etc today.  The old body is not happy, but mara no. 91 is ticked off and was actually rather enjoyable apart from the injury.  Liverpool is a city full of surprises.

Good luck to tomorrow's racers.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Poacher very bad luck- at least you won't have to cut back on tour training ;)
    Got there in the end Nicko- less walking today at least
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Poacher-hope it goes quickly.
    Hope everyone went well at big half.
    Chester 10k today,not ideal marathon training but is commited to it a long time ago,pretty good weather really,just a hill at the end and bits of wind,finished in 38:23,a 50 sec pb,also a new wava pb of 77.48%
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian that's a fantastic time and a nice chunk off your PB.

Blustery day at Big Half,  my head wasnt in it I think but came in 1:25:24. A 2.5 minute PB but missed the sub 1:25 target. I know I can do better. 

Oo hope you managed to pace your daughter for.a.sub 2; it was weird out there 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done on #91 (but completely, absolutely, insanely ridiculous), Poacher - 85 laps of a 500 metre loop, weaving around glassy-eyed phone-fixated folks !!!!    :o    
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great races from Ian and Nicko. Good work, chaps.

Surrey HM today. Wind was a big factor, seemed to hit hard on th uphill sections but tried to remain positive. Felt good all the way and just kept working to feel without burying myself. Would have been happy with a 1.26 but as I got to the final 0.1 I realised a PB equal was on the cards. Hit the burners and bagged a PB by 10 seconds.

With gusts in excess of 40mph and an age cat position of 3rd, my best ever, I’ll take it.

Big bonus was SBD recognising me at the end. Great to meet you, Sir and I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic Boston with Lorenzo.

Logged as a great day.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Good to meet you G-D. That's an excellent PB in those conditions and bodes well for London.  Do you have any more races lined up?

A 2.5 minute PB today is excellent work nicko - save the Sub 1:25 for another day! 

That's a cracking 10K Ian and a big PB - looks like you had the best of conditions today - must give you confidence for Manchester.

Well done on ticking off No 91 Poacher.  Hopefully the injury you picked up is short lived.

Your patience on the come back is admirable Stevie - hopefully the planned long runs give you the confidence to run well at Manchester. 

I was dreading the forecast conditions for Surrey last night but thought it wasn't too bad on the day!  The plan for me today was 18 miles with the last 14 at MP.  So a 5 mile w/u with the last mile at 6:50 pace and then in to the pens for the HM.  My pacing has been a bit suspect in recent races, but it worked perfectly today - so Garmin splits between 6:24 and 6:40, pretty much accounted for changes in the terrain and wind and a consistent Heart Rate for the 13.1 miles of c. 166.  Time for the HM of 1:25:54 which is my fastest for a while.  Felt a lot harder than MP but the HR was around marathon effort.  Two miles w/d to bring up 20 miles for the day and 84 for the week.

• Congrats to both SBD and G-Dawg -conditions clearly weren't ideal today and having been nearly blown off my feet running on Epsom Downs, I know how windy it was, so to both put in such great performances is very impressive. 

Good stuff from Ian up in Chester and a non-too-shabby performance from Nicko as well - 2.5 minute PB is definitely not to be sniffed at.

Nice one on #91 Poacher - hopefully it'll be a quick recovery.

55 miles this week for me, culminating in a slightly disappointing 19:52 (10s or so down on last week) at Brooklands parkrun yesterday and a very blowy 20 miles with a good friend this morning.

Will take it a bit easier this week with the Fleet Half looming on Sunday, but all the talk of Boston is getting me excited as this time in 4 weeks' time I'll be on my way!! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nicko-2.5mins at that pace is a great jump,well done.
    G-Dawg-Nice running on your pb,sounds like you ran a nicely controlled race.
    SBD-Thats a top effort,I've only ever gone 12 at MP before so well done.Yes I definitely had the best of the weather as this afternoon we had gales and hail.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys looks like everyone had a cracking day given the conditions. Sorry I missed you Nicko, my daughter's pen didn't start until 9:30. She ran 2:11 and I'm so glad I was there to see it. It was the right call.
    I guess I'd better get out tomorrow for a proper long run!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Poacher sounds like a tough one , hope the knee isn't too bad after a rest only 9 more to go !
    Ian cracking 10k time you are running well.
    Nicko close enough given the conditions on a good day you would be well under 1:25 and a 2.5 min pb is always nice.
    Gdawg a pb is still a pb and on a tough day too.
    SBD nice mara pace in a very big week 
    Lorenzo decent parkrun and 20 in the bag.
    0054 sure it was nice to chill and enjoy a run with your daughter for a change.

4x300, 4x600m and 4x300m on tues and 2 x 15mins  hard on thursday 7:24/7:20 out then 7:08 and 6:42 back was proper tough but felt good then 10m yesterday and 5 today while it was snowing gave me 40 mile for the week. unfortunately my dodgy hammy up at the bone joint injury appears to be slowly coming straight back it seems so not sure how long my streak will continue between benches !!!!!!! I have a half mara in 2 weeks ....

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Poacher, well done on ticking another off. Hope the injury isn't too big a problem.

Ian, that's a great time. Looks like you got weather lucky.

Nicko, that's a great pb and time on such a crappy day.

Equally, G-dawg well done on your pb.

Badbark, sorry to hear you've been so down regarding the injury. It's easy to get carried away with dark thoughts in the moment of injury as it just feels like it's never going to get better. Hopefully you'll be back to it soon enough.

Looks like you had a good day also, SBD, doing that in amongst a 20 on a windy day!

well done to your daughter, OO.

Lorenzo, well done on the parkrun and the 20.

Leslie, I often have an issue in there on my left hand side. For me it is just a 'trigger point' so some intense deep tissue there usually just frees it back up. Looks like you are going well though so fingers crossed it can continue.

Will be back to it later today after a rather heavy weekend away. Still feel a little hungover today.

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Good to have a diagnosis now badbark. I can't see if you were on the thread when I joined towards the start of 2011 or if you joined soon after but I see an old post in 2011 when you were hoping to go sub 3:10 at Belfast and my, you have come on so far since! It's obviously a major bummer that you can't race the Anglo-Celtic 100K in a national vest but I think you have a fairly full trophy cabinet including national medals so I hope you can look back on this all with some satisfaction of a job well done.

Moving forwards, what is the plan? After you have had a rest and can start running again, will you carry on with it for the enjoyment?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - glad you have a diagnosis and can start your recovery. Great attitude and hope you can soon take pleasure from running once more.
    Stevie - great tempo run.
    SBD - yes, I meant to type 20 with 14 @ MP! Bagged 13 in the end. Congrats on a perfectly executed session to end another top mileage week. You are looking very good for Boston.
    Poacher  - ouch - unlucky. 500m laps round a Uni campus sounds bonkers. At least it wasn't just before mara distance, which would have been very cruel. Hope it heals up okay.
    Ian - great to get a sizeable PB in those conditions.
    nicko  - excellent PB - sub 85 is there for the taking on a calm day.
    GD - good finish to bag a PB; another great performance on a windy day.
    Lorenzo - coming along nicely. I'm getting excited about Boston too ;)
    OO - well done to your daughter.
    Leslie - your post was sounding very promising, but then you mentioned your hammy. Noooo!!!!! Really hoping it's not go to send you back to the bench. Maybe you need to limit yourself to one faster session per week for a bit longer?
    No running at the weekend. Spent Saturday shifting 2 tonnes of soil which I dug up in the last couple of garden projects into a giant planter in the pouring rain; not a great idea. Wrecked the grass where I was walking back and forth too :(  Back to the running this morning and did 12 miles (6 @ 8:32 and 6 @ 7:35).
  • Good runs at Surrey from G-Dawg and SBD

The weather yesterday was very odd. We had high winds and there were trees down all over the place but the worst bit I had was in the middle of a flat field. The path was very flat and had a slippery surface and the wind picked up from behind. I started to enjoy flying along on the surface but saw the path was coming to an abrupt end at a gate with a big puddle in front of it and the brakes simply were not working: I had very little grip and if I tried to use what I had, my body was being moved forward and basic physics says that any backward force near the base causes a rotation (i.e. face plant). Thankfully, the mud that preceded the puddle was sufficient to slow me down so I escaped with two muddy trainers and no worse.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience in the Lakes once PMJ where the wind propelled me and I felt like I was flying and then became scared how I would stop.
    Planning a long run today but winds here in the North are terrific again. Let’s see...
  • Tough day at the office for me in the Chester 10k. Can't blame the weather, which wasn't too bad for most of the race, but less than 3 hours sleep in the world's worst hotel wouldn't have helped I suppose. I had absolutely nothing on the hills. Gun time 40.50, which suggests I won't even manage 3.15 never mind the sub 3 I'm hoping for. I think I've qualified to run for England Masters in Birmingham though. I was 3rd V40 and the qualifying standard time was a rather generous 41.30 IIRC. Not that I'll be able to run a fast 10k only a month after a marathon...
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but my last rambling post about the weekend got stuck in moderation.

Basically - it was super windy; no confidence, no pacing due to watch issues. Excuses etc. Still hoping to target sub 3 though. 

Poacher 
    - unlucky on the injury, hopefully a quick recovery; congrats on getting another marathon ticked off on what sounds like a course to make you very dizzy.
    Congrats G-Dawg and SBD on great performances in Surrey - a PB and an amazing time in the midst of a 20 miler.
    OO - congrats to your daughter; must have been great for her to have you there for it too. No worries on not meeting up - the start area was a little crazy with the weather and the split of the bag trucks etc.
    Lorenzo - nice mileage this weekend, I'd never call a sub 20 parkrun disappointing.
    Leslie - sorry to hear of your injury as well, looks like you had some good sessions beforehand.
    DT - sounds like you had a more enjoyable weekend than most of us!
    Speedy - decent time considering you were probably quite fatigued from lack of sleep. Decent age category result and I'm sure a month should be plenty of recovery time for the masters.

Managed to run club progression last night for a recovery, held back a bit but managed 7:07 average over 6.5 miles; steady progression from 8:00 / mile to 6:00 /mile.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - close call! Pleased you avoided a fall.
    OO - windy here too and hard work at times.
    Speedy - marathon might be a very different story.
    nicko - good progressive run just a day after a hard HM.
    Got my long run in super early this week. 18 miles this morning -  3 @ 8:36, 9 @ 8:01, 6 @ 7:24.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, I think you are pretty well placed based on that time in the conditions, though I am not sure how your long runs are tallying?

Speedy, I have decided to try and avoid races which involve a hotel stay. There's always issues and idiots and I never have a good sleep.

Gul, that sounds like a heavy weekends work!!

easy 4 miles last night followed by spin. 10 X 1KM session today over lunch. Doesn't look like it'll be fun!

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Long runs are a slight concern DT - I've only logged 2 20 milers so far; but have a couple of 18s etc. The last few weeks of issues gave me a bit of a hit on the volume.

I'm going to do about 21 with 13 @ MP on Sunday; then I think as long as I am healthy, will be to get another 20-22 the Thursday/Friday after, and 18-20 the Tuesday/Wednesday after that, just cutting a couple of days out of the taper. That will give me the 5 x 20+ milers I feel I need. I'm hoping this isnt too crazy - open to suggestions.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nicko I only managed 1 20 miler before Seville so don’t panic. I did another 10 today including some track. Aiming for a big week around 60.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

My race pics are always grim and this is no exception.
    Looks like I'm winning as I burst for the line until you realise the fella behind has almost run 20 miles!  :D

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Love the pic G-Dawg! I always sprint finish which makes for interesting race photos! I also love your clubs colours, wont miss you!

Nicko - I wouldn't worry, I will have only done one 20! Plan is for 17 with @ MP this weekend, 20 with 12 @ MP next weekend and then an easy 18 the week before race day.

Excellent racing over the weekend by all, just an easy 15 for me. Progressed through as I was feeling good, started with an 8.47 and finished with a 7.40 for an average of 8.01.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Dt could be something like that I just don't know anymore now will have too see how it goes was just starting to feel like a runner again too.Hope the hangover wasn't too bad.
    GUL shifts usually limit me to 1 session a week anyway this week was the exception but yes may need to keep a lid on it. 2 ton ...that's Poacher style cross training !
    PMJ lucky the trainers didn't stick in the mud and dissappear.
    Speedy one bad race means nothing !
    Nicko nice progression run, schedule sounds crazy but might just work give it a go !
    Gdawg nice bit of gurning there .
    Stevie nice progression.

Rest yesterday and another today as very stormy out there .

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nicko-I was looking at something similar myself but heard long runs take 3 weeks to have a training effect? Any thoughts anyone as don't want to push it if I'm not going to get much benefit for the injury risk.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Good to have a diagnosis now badbark. I can't see if you were on the thread when I joined towards the start of 2011 or if you joined soon after but I see an old post in 2011 when you were hoping to go sub 3:10 at Belfast and my, you have come on so far since! It's obviously a major bummer that you can't race the Anglo-Celtic 100K in a national vest but I think you have a fairly full trophy cabinet including national medals so I hope you can look back on this all with some satisfaction of a job well done.

Moving forwards, what is the plan? After you have had a rest and can start running again, will you carry on with it for the enjoyment?

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful words. I’ve been on this thread from the start in December 2010 and was on its predecessor, the ‘Sub 3:15 - 2009’ thread too. When I first joined I was aiming at 3:15 having a PB of 3:26 after 4 marathons.  I never would have dreamed at the time of running a 2:47. 

I don’t really have a plan for the future yet. I’ve a few races booked that I can’t get refund on so will run them slowly. The last real running goal I have is reaching 100 marathons/ultras. I’m currently on 80, so still plenty of running ahead of me – just slower. :)