Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - I presume 10x1km is your spin session?!
    nicko - I'd echo what others have said - don't worry too much about getting a set number of long runs in.
    GD - great picture.
    Stevie - nice easy 15 miler.
    Leslie - enjoy the rest and shelter from the storm!
    Badbark - yes, you have made amazing progress over the years. Take care now.
    Just 10 slow miles today after yesterday's effort.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Keep moving forward, Badbark. You never know, the slowing down may help you progress back to an unexpected level, maybe not where you were but enough to keep you interested and focus on that century target.

Rested on Monday but back on it again last night with 10 miles at a steady 7.16 pace. Feeling quite strong, so with 6 weeks to go, hopefully will be in better shape going into London.

Have eaten quite a lot over the past few days and had quite a few beers after the race on Sunday. Was dreading the weekly weigh-in this morning but was very surprised to see 12st 9lbs (80kg) on the scales. In fact, I weighed myself 3 times to make sure it wasn't a mistake.
    Pleased with that as I had a meal after the 10 miler last night and made sure I was re-hydrated.

Only 2 pounds to go to hit my London target, which will be my lightest ever race weight.

A tad miffed to see that my chip time had me as 3rd v50 on Sunday but they do it on Gun Time, so I was officially 4th. Booooo!!

SBD - I think you were first in Age Cat. Nice one!!  B)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie when it's a trigger point, which it often is that far up to the attachment point, ut just needs some thumbs and elbows, and perhsps some acupuncture for literally 5 minutes to release it. 

Nice 10, G dawg.

SBD, good going if you won age cat.

Gul, Haha. no it was running. Went well given i was still a bit groggy from weekend  First rep came in 3.57 then each rep from there got a second or do faster but always controlled then last 3 were 3.49,c3.47 and 3.48. All off 1 minute which isn't long in the second half. 

Easy 12 MLR over lunch which was quite hard work in the wind. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the long runs insight all - I think I'll see how I feel after Sunday. I think maranoia is setting in really early this year.

G-Dawg - that's a pretty good shot - showing some great effort in the final stretch. Checked my race photos from Sunday - horrific - I look about 70!

Decent PT session yesterday with some HIIT/Strength training mashup including a couple of sprints so took a rest evening as I'd run the previous 7 days.

12 tonight in the wind with hills, easy 8min average.
  • We are off visiting family this Sunday so no LSR that day so squeezed in a 13.1 (out and back so turned at 6.55 miles and not 6.5) yesterday along the Thames. Strong headwind on the way out and tailwind on the way back made for interesting splits. May have to do another 13 on Saturday to hit 40 for the week so parkrun and long run home.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - good 10 miler. Shame about missing out on 3rd V50.
    DT - that's one massive session then! Well done.
    nicko - don't suppose it was tailwind up the hills and headwind down?!
    PMJ - got to be flexible to fit the running in with other commitments. Hopefully we are coming to the end of this windy season. Have a good weekend.
    Slotted in this week's 5x600m session into an MLR this morning. Reps came out at 2:27, 2:25, 2:23, 2:22 and 2:18. 14 miles in total.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good attitude BB
    Good training/racing by all despite the odd weather, especially GD's textbook feet-off-the-ground pose.

Properly benched here, the ligament is knackered and this feels like a long layoff.

Birch - we'd probably all agree that point to point or a single loop is the best form of mara, but if there are going to be laps I'd say the more the merrier. For example: Huddersfield is 2 laps, but so hard that the start of lap 2 is a real downer.  Newcastle Town Moor is usually about 7 laps, but they are long enough to be a bit too far, given that the middle of each lap generally involves a struggle through very strong headwinds. The various lakeside courses in Milton Keynes definitely seem easier when the lake is smaller, i.e. more laps.  The most laps I had previously done was 21 at the Dawn to Dusk which was tolerable.  But 500 metre laps actually go by so quickly that it deadens the pain.  Maybe a track mara should be back on the list.

What's the most laps anyone else has run in one go?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Sorry to hear that the damage to your ligament is serious, Poacher. Are you going to be able to cycle? Which leads nicely into talk of laps... How did you keep count of the laps last Friday btw? I think a track marathon should be a once in a lifetime experience. I can't compete with your 85 laps. I think my best effort was a puny 36 laps of a certain field, which long-term members of the thread may remember, somewhere between 750-800m.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lapped races need either human counters with clipboards, or a smart chip system which can update names and numbers of laps on a screen which one runs past at the end of every lap. Or a person handing out tokens/bracelets/elastic bands, one per person per lap.

I suspect your 36 laps were far harder than my 85.  And as for the dreaded Raceway....
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    When I DNF'd at Kent roadrunner, wrist bands were provided and the idea was to take one off at the end of each lap. As for Raceway, someone told me that the land has been sold for redevelopment. Shame, I would have loved to do another mara there ;)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Back in the early 90's, I did the "GEC" 20, nr Leicester, 3 times.  This was a 20 mile race consisting of 6 laps of 3.33 miles. I really liked the lap format - mentally didn't feel like racing 20 miles. I still have the paper results for my PB, complete with splits for each lap - provided, as Poacher says, by humans with clipboard and stopwatch.  

that's a bummer re your injury, Poacher - really hope you can make it to the ton . . . 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your knee Poacher. Most I've ever done is 44 laps of the track while doing 7x a mile with 2 warm up and cool down. I've been running all my tempos and intervals round a 0.8 mile loop recently so I don't mind laps
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Many of the field on Friday were lads who LOVE numerous laps and timed events of 6 hours plus.  Some were delighted by the 500 metre lap which they claimed was "far less boring and repetitive" than a 400 metre track lap.  Now that's hardcore.

Birch I will probably make it to the ton but not for a while - Manchester is out, possibly London too, the priority is to get back on the bike so perhaps it's a return to maras in the autumn.  Working in the Gulf next week so maybe a very gentle visit to a posh hotel gym to assess the state of things without inflicting further damage.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's bad new, Poacher.

Yes Raceways is now a housing development. Shame as it was a good option 3 times a year and it was on a Saturday.

My tempos are done on a 1.75m lap course so with wu and cd and a 10m tempo i'm doing about 8 laps. I see the same faces walking their dogs each week and they applaud me with a bewildered look as I keep coming back towards them at what probably looks like a pretty sharp pace (6.30s) compared to most other folk you see jogging about the place.

• Poacher said:
    What's the most laps anyone else has run in one go?
    I used to do a 1-hour track race each September and my best was just over 17,000 metres so that is about 42.5 laps in the hour. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I do hope you make it to London Poacher. Worst case your outfit this year could involve some strapping or a crutch ;)
    I'm sure I've done about 40 laps too with my 10k track race with warm up and down.
    Double day here, morning swim done then on the track this evening. 60 miles is on track for the week including a planned parkrun and c16 planned for Sunday. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I was once part of a team that set the world record for 100 people running 10k non-stop around a track in Cheltenham. OK, I on'y did 25 laps but the baton did 2500.  :D 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I knew that scratching beneath the surface would reveal lots of us to be lovers of the sheer mundanity of laps. Most I have done on a track was 53 which was a solo HM training run. Very tedious.

There used to be an underground mara in Hamburg which was 800 metre laps of tunnels under the city.  Not sure whether that still exists.

If one ran a track mara indoors, it would be 211 laps.  Several venues in the US have hosted this.

Then there's ....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Transcendence_3100_Mile_Race     :'(
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I like the track on dark nights. It's less likely l'll trip and fall which can happen ;)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Poacher-hope you recover quicker than you think.
    In terms of laps,my first sub 4 was a track marathon,it was nowhere as tough as I thought,liked having my own aid station whenever I wanted it.
    7 easy after work today,meant to bea long one tomorrow so hoping the wind eases a bit,then a weeks break in fuerteventura on Saturday.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Talking of track, club session tonight. 6 x 1 mile reps in 5.5x per mile. 2 min standing recoveries. Legs were tired but hit all the markers, quickest was 5.51 and slowest 5.56.

A 2 mile warm up delivered 8 miles for the night and 32 laps.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    That's a cracking track session GDawg. A lot of reps and decent consistent times.

I did shorter with 6x1k by the harbour, all at approx 3:35 with one stray one at 3:40. 10 miles total for the evening.

Those long track races sound hideous, doubt you'll ever get me doing that - and that trancendense thing looks mental!

Bad luck on the injury Poacher - hope you do make it to London start line.

I thought I had felt hit by the wind on Sunday, but check out this poor bloke:

https://youtu.be/8Hwtx9JvoPY 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - that's a very impressive tally for 1 hour.
    OO - on target for a nice week's total.
    Poacher - let me check my diary. What a shame, I can't make that race.
    GD - great mile reps.
    nicko - and ditto for your 1000m reps.
    Only 1 lap for me this morning. A 15 mile one, nice and slow. Brings up 69 miles for the week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Gul good to see you are still packing them in ;)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

I like doing the tempo runs on the track, so 4K w/u, 10K tempo and 4K w/d, giving a total of18K.  But a track marathon would clearly be insane!

Good miles for the day and weekly total Gul.

Fast intervals in the 10 miler nicko.

A quality track session G-D - I couldn't get near those mile paces!

Sadly no prize for the AC win at Surrey HM.  Will also need to work on the sprint finish for when I'm next in a race with G-D!

Slight calf wobble for me on Monday.  Had completed a 10K recovery run at lunchtime with the legs feeling surprisingly good but then, when attempting a second short recovery run in the evening, the right calf started to tighten up.  Stopped (was on the treadmill), stretched and rolled and then finished the 6K, hoping it would be fine the next day after some more rolling and icing.  Sadly, on Tuesday it tightened up again after 3K, so I binned the session after making it to 5K and Wednesday was a similar story.  Had the sports massage booked for Thursday morning so lots of work on the calf.  Hopefully that's done the trick.  So a 12 mile progressive run today, finishing at 6:20 m/m pace.  Not quite 100% but hopefully I can get back on schedule with the training plan.  Have binned the planned 10K race for tomorrow and will just have a steady few days with hopefully a LSR on Sunday.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That makes sense SBD but sounds more like a niggle rather than a serious issue.
    I picked up a cold yesterday so had a steady parkrun in 20:20. A bit worried about my LSR tomorrow but should reach 60+ for the week.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Take it easy OO.

17 mile LSR today. Very windy, not ideal on knackered legs. Plodded it out at 8.10 pace, had to battle the wind at times.
    5 mile recovery tomorrow will bring 47 for the week.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    A track mara, good work Ian. Proof that short laps work well.

Take care SBD, OO.

Good miles Gul

Still benched. Painful. Not really running weather at the moment - drove through snow in Northumberland this morning then crossed the Pennines in a hooly, now it's so wet that the river outside the house is rising alarmingly.  Good time to be injured.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    SBD - hopefully not a serious issue, seems if you got through that progressive 12 nicely then it's not too bad. Fingers crossed.
    G-Dawg - nice run in the wind - it was pretty horrific yesterday so nice work getting out there.
    Poacher - Definitely the right time to be taking a couple of days off, but hopefully you'll be back to it soon.

Just back from Bath Half marathon - a race that has a place in my hearth for a) being very close b) having an 11am start time and c) the first race I ever did. They really need to sort some stuff on the organisational front though - bag storage and access to race village especially.

Got the train from Bristol with a couple of teammates, but got off a couple of stops early and ran 9 miles into Bath to make it a long run - didn't quite envisage how wet the track/fields I ran through would be so by the time I got to the start line I was very muddy with very wet feet - got a few weird looks in the start pen! Few drills and jog with the teammates before the race to keep the legs moving.

Went out controlled pace as I was only looking to do MP throughout; though ran just to how I felt not looking at pace/watch at all - at 4 miles I was on for 1:27 so dropped it back in order to make it through the distance. A bit breezy out but nothing compared to last weekend. Started fading around 8/9 miles and the last mile on a steady incline was a real struggle but came in at 1:30:30 which was just about plan, although sub-90 would have been preferable (and attainable I think). Scraped a course PB with that and a few Guinness to celebrate went down well.

So overall a 22 mile morning averaging 7:15. I think with that performance I'm borderline for a sub 3 at Manchester - it's going to need to all fall in place perfectly come race day for me to achieve.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A good day's work nicko - 13 at MP after a 9 mile w/u is hard work, so I'd say that was a good session given the conditions.  Just let the taper do it's work.

Have you thought about getting some physio treatment Poacher?

Well plodded out in the wind G-D.

Hope you got the LSR in OO.

Managed to run the planned 10K race as a solo session on the treadmill yesterday - the calf seemed happier at the faster pace and I felt I needed the "speed" work.  So 10K in 39:35, with the last 2K in 3:50 and 3:45.  Managed to get the HR up to 180 which is about as high as it goes.  Today was the 20 miler, the aim being just to get the miles in without any issues.  Quite windy and spent the first half running directly in to the wind.  The calf was tightening up at times but it felt fine at the end of the run - so 20 miles at 7:43 m/m pace.  Feel really happy to have got that run under the belt.  Just need a big final week before the taper.