Sub 3h15

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    OO - good nes that no surgery is needed and she's healing up well. I'm sure the smart kitchen decoration will help to lift her spirits. Good weekly mileage there; good to do a similar route each day and see how tha paces stack up.

SBD - will probably fit in a 16-18 miler coinciding with the club progression run on Monday and that will be my last longish one.

Great long run Gul, some big old mileage for the week.

Hope all the Bostonites are excited, if all goes well I'll be putting in my application in a couple of weeks.

Few easy recovery miles planned later, no idea yet if I'm running the relays tomorrow but will only be a short leg if I do anyway; less margin for me to let the team down. 

• SBD - that's interesting. Didn't realise that the numbers were based on ranking. I'm 8251 which suggests I'm in top 30% of qualifiers - sounds rather high. Great to be starting off at the front of the wave, but I guess I won't be overtaking too many people if they're almost half an hour up the road by the time I start.

OO - glad to hear OOjnr is on the mend. 

DT - a litre of beet juice 2hours before a 10K?!!! I'll stick with the beet shots thanks.

Good advice there G-Dawg - thanks.

Gul - 32 reps yesterday followed by a 20 miler today. Sounds pretty hardcore to me so just make sure that you don't overtrain in the run up to Boston

Good long run for you as well there Nicko

7 miles this morning on one of my favourite off road routes - rather surprising managed PBs on a couple of the Strava segments.

Assuming I head into town for a parkrun tomorrow, Fulham Palace is looking like the top choice.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good morning miles Lorenzo.  Enjoy the London parkrun.

You want to avoid going too far on Monday nicko - let the taper work it's magic.

I'm trying to remember why I entered Boston - a hilly course usually run in extreme weather conditions - Manchester is sounding much more attractive at this point in time!

Good call on the recovery run G-D.  Hopefully the ride in the School buses is brief!

Excellent news on your daughter OO and it looks you've been far from idle!

Another solid 20 miler Gul - are you running at the weekend as well or is now taper time?

12 miles this afternoon for me.   Legs feeling quite relaxed so picked up the pace at the end to hit 6:12 m/m pace for the penultimate two kilometres.  Not sure where that pace came from!  Average of 7:35 m/m for the run.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SBD - Im not sure I could get up early enough to eat 4 hours before gun time! Will be adding the raisins to my carb loading though! Nice fast finish, are you tapering now?

Lorenzo - Good luck for parkrun tomorrow!

OO - Excellent news on your daughter not requiring surgery. 60 miles without a long run is decent! 

Nicko - Good luck tomorrow if you get to run!

20m this afternoon split into 5 easy, 5 MP, 1 Easy, 4 MP, 1 Easy, 3 MP, 1 Easy. Poacher would have been proud as I ran 20ish laps of cannon hill park! MP paces were:
    6.37/166
    6.36/165
    6.41/164

Legs were tired for the last 3 miles but happy with those paces. As ive had to front load this week as I'm away at the weekend I've done 70 miles in the last 7 days. By far the most I've ever done! Will have an easier week next week circa 40 miles then cut right down for race week
  • Dried fruit on race morning? Beyond risky! 

Apologies for being AWOL this week. Due to the vagueries of when rest days fit in with everything else I ended up running 95 miles in 7 days. That didn't leave much time for anything else. 

Glad to hear your daughter is on the mend OO. 

When is Boston? The excitement is palpable!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Phew 95 is way beyond anything I've ever run Speedy.
    19:34 at Newcastle parkrun, below par for me. Hopefully it will serve me well tomorrow.
    I saw you on Strava Lorenzo- hope you are happy with that?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I used to be happy with 95 as a monthly total, nice one Speedy.

Great pace uplift, Stevie. I never seem to be able to do that on a long run, I find my legs are shattered from midweek work and that I’m rubbish at getting up and running in the first hour of the day.

That was the case yesterday. 22 miles at 8.27 pace. Just plodded it out on an undulating route. There’s no way I could have whacked in a few MP miles.

I tested the Maurten 320 drink. Downed it before leaving and I did feel better for longer. The gel was too thick to take down while running, so won’t be changing from the SIS gels.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Why is dried fruit risky for race morning? Is it the fibre? Amazing weekly miles Speedy - how did you manage to fit all those in?

Superb long run Stevie. Smashing it. A great fast finish from SBD on the 12.

Good solid long run G-Dawg - I know what you mean on the MP miles during the longer ones, sometimes the legs just won't allow it.

No racing for me at the relays yesterday as miraculously all the team made it despite some motorway issues. A great result for the club as our "A" team picked up first place, with the B and C team also getting great results. Once it was clear I wasn't needed just did a couple of laps of the short loop and picked off a few racers along the way, 7:20ish average for 6 miles with a couple of low 6's thrown in. Enjoyed it despite not getting a race; nice weather and a good vibe.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I did my first 20 of the campaign this morning in a steady 8:35 pace with a few faster ones thrown in.Thats 65 for the week, my highest for a while. After a week in London I’m forward to getting back in the pool tomorrow.
    I can’t see any issue with dried fruit either if you eat it regularly.
  • Never tried dried fruit in the morning of a race, unless you count raisins in the porridge!

95 miles Speedy - impressive stuff. Do you reckon you'll be on for sub-3 again? Boston (US) is 3 weeks tomorrow (15 April); Gul will be getting things started in Boston (UK) the day before.

Great long runs from G-Dawg and Stevie - it's a tough session to throw 12 miles in there at MP but looks as though you held the pace well.

OO - hope it goes well today. I was OK with my 19:40 at Southwark Park parkrun. It's dead flat but as it's 3.5 laps of the park there are a lot of slower runners once you get to end of the second lap, so plenty of weaving in and out which might have cost a few seconds. Well organised but don't think I'll be doing it again - the only reason I picked it was to do something a bit different, but it also worked out well for heading up into town to meet up with Mrs L  at the British Museum (still in my running gear although I had taken a speare top with me) and then go on the march. After a parkrun, a stomp round a museum and then 4 or 5 hours on my feet, I definitely relaxing on the couch with a glass of wine in the evening.

Legs were still a bit tired this morning but managed to head out for a 16 miler on my Box Hill loop. Steady(ish) pace including picking it up on the downhill stretches for 7:42 average with 1,350ft of elevation.

Thinking ahead to the 28th of next month, are the London crew planning to be in Chandos after the race?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’m definitely up for Chandos as usual. I’ve done a couple of sub 18s at Southwark Lorenzo but I’d be at least a minute off that at the moment. I’ve lost my speed and I’m struggling to do a single mile below 6 mins.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I think I'm coming down for the marathon so hopefully will be able to meet you all in Chandos!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Watching my mum do london, she'll likely be 5hrs+ so hopefully be able to pop into Chandos at some point to finally put names to faces.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Not sure on plans for London at the moment - I have the GFA place but may not use it depending on how Boston goes.

Good downhill training on the 16 miler Lorenzo and a tidy park run yesterday.

Well done on getting some training in at the relays nicko.

Excellent 22 G-D.

Good to get the 20 miler done OO and a nice weekly total.

Good mileage Speedy - hope you get a good result at Ashby.  There's only 4g of fibre in 100g of raisins - so no potential issues.  It's tried and tested for me - I'd rather get the sugars from something natural than artificial.  There's actually more fibre in 70g or porridge oats (c. 6g)!

That's an excellent 20 mile run Stevie.  Those MP sections should give you the confidence to set out comfortably below 3 hours at Manchester.  You just need to give yourself some taper time now.

22 miles for me today - last long one of the Boston campaign.  Effort easy for the first 15 miles and then pushed the effort up on the uphill sections over the next 5 miles and once back on the flat picked up the pace to finish with a couple of 6:50 miles.   Average pace for the run of 7:33 and 85 miles for the week.

Taper time now! 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Excellent long run session, Stevie.

Shame you didnt get to race, Nicko. 

Oo, sbd, nice long running. Oo glad to hear your daughter is on the mend.

Nice long run, g dawg. i have similar feedback on the gels from today.

Decent park run, lorenzo. 

I'll definitely be up for a few in Chandos. 

Ashby 20 today. Plan  was first 10between 7.10 and 7mm then pick it up to mp second half. went through 10 miles at 7.05 average as clock turned to 1.11. Was chatting to a lad running manchester in 2 weeks. I assumed he was a sub 3 guy but then told me he was aiming for 3.15. Did some maths and realised he was running about 15 seconds a mile faster than pmp, 2 weeks out. Suggested he should be careful, or he is under selling himself. As we passed 10 mile i sped off and didnt see him again. 

I spent pretty much from mile 3 over taking people which made it good fun though in last 5 there weren't many to take, though still kept passing folk until about 400m to go. Came in 2.18.32 for 6.55 average for 158bpm.

2 years ago i averaged 7.05 for 165bpm and ran 3.04 in London. Average hr in yorkshire mara was 163 so definitely in the right zone. Ran 2nd half about 3 minutes faster than first half. 

Re the gels, i must say i found them hard to get down and needed water, which was tricky today as stations every 3 miles. london shoukd be fine. The other thing i trialled today was taking a zero high tab with me broken in half. I then put one part in half a bottle of water at 6 miles and same at 14. That seened to work well.

It was also good to meet, Speedy as i spotted her in the finish funnel. It worked  out nicely as due to her being vegan she couldnt eat most of her goody bag so in return for my banana at had all the good stuff in hers. 
  • Nice to meet you too DT19. Only trouble is I now need to eat 8 bananas in the next 3 days as I'd just bought a bunch and I go to Poland on Thursday! Also managed to meet and chat to LMH after she picked up her prize for super speediness. 

I was a bit rubbish. I'm really struggling on hills lately, and always struggle in the wind. Ashby is very hilly, and it was windier than I'd hoped. I ran the first 10 in 7.46s and the second 10 in 7.04s. Admittedly I sort of gave up in mile 19. I only pushed on in mile 20 because I could see two local runners ahead of me and didn't want either of them to beat me.

The 95 miles wasn't a calendar week. Friday I did a slow 13, Saturday was 7 including a jogged parkrun, plus 5 slow, Sunday was 22 including the Notts 20 as 5 slow, 5 MP, 5 slow, 5 MP, Monday was 3 recovery in the morning and 8 very easy in the evening, Tuesday was 8 which was supposed to be 3 x 1.75 miles but my first rep was slow and I bailed halfway through the second so just jogged the rest, Wednesday was 16 steady, Thursday 13 slow. It was just because my rest days were moved around to accomodate actual life. Monday - Sunday this week I was scheduled 85 but have only done 80. I ran out of time. Rest day Friday, busy Saturday, busy Sunday! Next week might come out light too as I have a lot to do before I go to Poland for the WMA half.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Windy and warm, i have a running vest sun burn!

I just looked on strava, 948 feet of elevation so nearly 50 per mile, which was much hillier than i thought. Thats about double the elevation gain that London has in 26 miles, all squeezed into 20. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - pleased to hear jnr is getting on well. Solid parkrun.
    Lorenzo - good jaunt round Box Hill. +1 for raisins in porridge.
    SBD - excellent 22 miler. I did consider heading out for a short recovery run this weekend to break in some running shoes, but it didn't happen. So now also started the taper.
    Stevie- great 20 miler and very tidy MP sections.
    Speedy - wow, that's a lot of miles in 7 days. Surely wouldn't have helped on Sunday? 
    GD - well done plodding out the 22 miler. SIS gels for me too.
    nicko - shame you didn't get a race, but glad you enjoyed the day.
    DT- excellent day at the office yesterday; all looking very promising.
    Final long run d&d this morning. Thought I'd make the most of the daylight before the clocks go forward this weekend, and headed out of town and did a loop round Wolferton. Very nice. 18 miles, gently progressive from 9:16 to 7:10/m, averaging 7:53.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Great running at Ashby DT and Speedy (a great performance considering such a high mileage week) - and I don't know how you can have such a low HR at that pace and hills DT, impressive.

Excellent final long runs for Gul and SBD as well; all looking promising for good perfomances in the weeks to come.

Also put in my final longish run today, 16 miler with our club progression run thrown in the middle. I held back but surprised that miles 9, 10 & 11 came out at 6:38, 6:12 and 6:04 feeling solid. Everything around those was fairly sedate so 7:38 avg for the run. Taper time now.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say sorry to hear about your daughter 0054 
    A good few of here have seem to have been knocked of while out over the years .

Not much to report here binned the half as it just wasn't going to happen as I could only get 3 miles last week before giving up and took the rest of the week off. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's sounds promising Nicko.
    I had a long swim but back to it today.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Impressive finish to the 16 there, Nicko. Good wok indeed.

Managed to get 10 done last night. Made it an alternate miles session alternating between 7.0x and 6.3x. Hit then all with a 6.22 final split as a treat.

With a 5 mile recovery on Sunday and 22 on Saturday, last night felt surprisingly good. Something shorter tonight or even a rest as working in London all day.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - cracking pace in the middle of your 16 miler. Enjoy the taper!
    Leslie - sorry you've had to pull out of the half.
    GD - very strong 10 miler. 
    As I've just started the taper, I thought I'd have a bit of a lie-in this morning and just do 8 slow miles (8:456/m). Only the second single digit run of March to date.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That must have felt barely worth putting your kit on for Gul!!

Leslie, shame you had to bin off the half.

Nicko, HR is very individualised so my zones may be very different to yours. I see people at my level on strava posting solid sessions with hr in low 140s which would never happen for me. Decent running yesterday, time to chill now.

Just 4 miles at 8.55mm yesterday then very light spin last night. Quads were quite sore which is a mix of the climbing and the way the vaporflys angle you. 6 miles planned later. Looking forward to the clocks changing now. It is so much easier picking routes when it isn't dark.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good recovery miles DT and excellent measured race at Ashby - did the second half feel less than MP effort or was the HR just lower than expected?

It's taper time Gul - single digit runs is all you need!

Some quick paces in the 10 mile run G-D

Hope you managed to get out for a run OO.

Are you still injured Leslie?

Good turn of the speed in the 16 miler nicko.  Time to let the taper do it's magic.

That's still a pretty good training run Speedy and the second half was not far off MP given the conditions.

14K with 5 sets of 1K intervals separated by 500m recoveries.  Interval splits came out at 3:45, 3:45, 3:40, 3:40 and 3:35.  Not sure where that speed came from but a couple of those strung together at  park run would be nice!

How's the weather looking for Manchester?

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Too early for looking at the weather SBD - control the controllables! Excellent reps, will you do parkrun before Boston? 

Excellent runs at Ashby by DT & Speedy. Both looking good for London! 

Speedy 10 G-Dawg

Enjoy the taper Gul!

Easy 7 last night, legs felt a bit dead but aerobically I was cruising. 8.19 pace for 135BPM. Tune up session tonight which I really enjoyed. 3m HMP (6.18avg), 3mins rest, 3 x 1k at 10k pace off 90s. (3.49, 3.46, 3.43), 3 mins rest then 4 x 600m at 5k pace off 90s rest. (2.11, 2.11, 2.11, 2.09) Felt really relaxed and controlled throughout. 10.5m total including warm up and cool down

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    So frustrating to be lurking as you lot fine tune things for the race season. I'm sure there there are going to be some excellent performances. Especially envious about Boston, it's a hard course to pace but certainly one of the finest events you will ever be part of.  My tips: scoff vast quantities of Italian food, and go see the Red Sox.

Still unable to run here. The knee doesn't want to bend very far, or rotate. I spent last week in a swanky hotel with state of the art treadies and knocked out a tentative 1 mile but it was clear that time is needed. However I did 50 on the road bike on Sunday which was just about OK. Manchester mara is out but London (and Chandos) might be a goer. If I don't make it, then might defer with a mind to making London no. 100 next year.

Good luck all, trust the training and get the cotton wool out.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Coincidentally while on the bike on Sunday my route crossed paths with the back markers at the Wilmslow HM which is a big event locally. They were pretty slow and some were suffering terribly but the determination to finish was terrific. Running means so much whether you are at at the pointy end or the tail end. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Poacher. I'm amazed cycling is ok on your knee,that's definitely a lifeline-  how about swimming?
  • SBD - ref Stevie's question, are you up for doing the parkrun before Boston? Am thinking of heading over there, then calling in at the Expo on the way back.

Poacher - tickets for the Red Sox already bought; Italian sounds good (any recommendations) although clam chowder is also on the list. Stay positive - at the very least I'll buy you a beer if you make it to Chandos. I'm sure I owe you one from last year.

Commuting runs for me yesterday and a couple of short sharp uphill sprints today to bag a PR on Strava on the 85th time I've done that particular segment.