Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Giacomo’s at 431 Columbus is famous - gargantuan plates of pasta In a full on atmosphere. People queue for ages to get in. Worth reading some reviews to get the measure of the place. Also Addis Red Sea on Tremont if you like Ethiopian. The injera diet doesn’t do Ethiopian runners too much harm. 

Worth going to Bunker Hill to see a place where history was made.

Jealous! 

OO - swimming, nah, but time to get the kayak out for the summer - hope your boat is ready for adventures (Derwentwater?)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Haha yes- I've been looking at the sea this last week thinking about the kayak. I need to invest in a roof rack before I can get the kayak to the Lakes though.
    Kicked off the running week with 11 yesterday. I'll probably end up mid 50s this week with a 20+ planned for Sunday.
    Jealous of you taper guys....
  • Poacher said:
    Coincidentally while on the bike on Sunday my route crossed paths with the back markers at the Wilmslow HM which is a big event locally. They were pretty slow and some were suffering terribly but the determination to finish was terrific. Running means so much whether you are at at the pointy end or the tail end. 
    It does but it also makes it very hard to engage in a politically correct conversation. Like most others on this forum, my weekly long run is half marathon distance (in fact, for most of you it is way over that) so I have done 12 such runs in 2019. A good friend ran Wilmslow Half and it was something he was building up to for a long time and he does a couple of halfs a year. Same with daughter #2, she is doing parkruns now and is aiming to do 10k at the Oxford Town vs Gown and building up to running 10k is a big thing. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    chin(s) up, Poacher  - seriously, feel for you re the knee - but to complete #100 at London would be wonderful - no-one on here would doubt that if anyone could make it, its you . . .     

OO - hope your daughter's recovery is continuing as she/you would wish.

yes, jealous here too of the marathon excitement - 4 years since my swansong. Was over at East Hull 20 (supporting) on Sunday, and it was a bittersweet experience - have done the event a few times, and it was great to be there, see some excellent runs, and hear the chat about upcoming marathons from family and clubmates, but without being part of it myself now  . . .    

still managing my pesky injury - last 4 weeks mileage (working back) - 30,25,30,10 (the week the injury became apparent) - with reference to Philip's point, though - a couple of 13's in there, including a club "recce run" of the Sheff Half which is coming up ;  a few newer club members were so delighted to complete this, having never covered the distance before.  

ps - Gul -  if I knew how to put those "thumbs up" motifs on , I'd do so, but instead I'll just say "looking (very) good"  - don't do owt daft in the taper :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT  -1 for the clocks changing.
    SBD - very tidy 1k reps.
    Stevie - great session. 
    Poacher - hope the knee starts to improve very soon.
    Lorenzo - good hill sprinting.
    Birch - me, do anything daft?!
    MLR this morning. 14 miles averaging 8:12/m. 

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    G-Dawg - that's a great 10miler on tired legs from a big mileage weekend. Pace looking good
    SBDvery nice progression on the 1k intervals, tough to increase pace each one. Manchester weather currently looking good btw; but a it far out to be sure.
    Stevie - great mixed up session, looking very very good for Manchester.
    Poacher - sorry to hear that the knee is still not recovering, great that you can at least get some biking done though. Agree - when I see the people at the back really giving their all it's inspiring. Makes my efforts seem too easy.
    Gul - nice morning 14; joining team taper from this weekend?

Day 1 of taper decided to go out to test a 5K course that the club is going to be using going forward. Just 9 of us turned up to have an easy little run and give feedback on the route and setup.

Ended up running a PB and going sub 19 for the first time (I haven't raced many 5Ks recently); that was unexpected as I intended to run a moderate/tempo pace. Great course although I ended up totally on my own as the front 4 went off fast too, with 2 of them also getting PBs. Legs were very heavy after Monday night; will see what I can do on that course properly after the marathon. (new PBs this year now for 5k, 10k, 5mile and half marathon; so just need the marathon to go well for the grand slam)

-- Posting the upcoming races calendar again --

30th March World Masters Half
    Speedy Goth

31st March Cranleigh 15/21
    Lorenzo (haven't decided what distance I'll do yet)

7th April Manchester Marathon
    StevieWh (2:45)
    Nicko1981 (2:59)
    Ian (3:09)

7th April Centurion 5 
    DT (sub 31)

14th April Boston UK Marathon
    Gul Darr (Sub 3:15)

15th April Boston Marathon (the hilly one)
    SBD (2:59)
    Lorenzo (3:10)

28th April London Marathon
    OO54 (Sub 2, win, beat Mo Farah and get to the bar early to get the beers in!)
    G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

5th May GEAR 10k
    Gul Darr (sub 39)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, decent run out. Confirms you are clearly in good shape, and 12 days out, the benefit of the session should filter through.

Gul, I appreciate that it will temporarily launch you back into darkness, but I think that is only for 3-4 weeks maybe, much of which you will be tapering/recovering any way. Nice steady MLR.

Poacher/PMJ, yes it is tricky to manage as one doesn't want to appear arrogant but as most of my running chat is with people who wouldn't be touched by just a recovery run of 10k at a pace that would probably be the average pace in most 10k races, I sometimes forget myself when people talk of the struggle running say 3 miles. On Sunday it was a 2 lap course with a 10 mile cut off. As I went through about 19 miles the sweep car was parked up ready to go, a bit like a grim reaper chasing you down. A little further on was the back of the field, unlikely to make the 10 mile cut off as they were walking. As I took the trip towards the finish I was surprised by the number of people who were walking off the course back to the start/finish area. Personally, why put yourself through a rural hilly 20 miler if you are not able to do it. I can understand in London as it is a huge experience, but Ashby 20 is far from that!

Great session, Stevie. Despite the fragmented last few months, you look odds on to do well in Manchester.

SBD- I had no overwhelming desire to see the finish line. I suspect the HR overall was lower because I had held back in the first half. It was so good though making up so much ground on people. I looked at results via the numbers on race photos. There were 2 guys running with me at 5 miles, they finished in 2.35 and 2.47. I was also running most of the race with 4th woman (we much have been on a similar plan) but at 17m I pulled away from her and she came in over a minute after me, so I was chugging along very well.

8 miles over lunch today. Still some soreness but much better. Have a sports massage tonight.

My club have made the national relays so have put my name forward. It depends how they pick a team. Really they should give the guys that got us there first shout, however i'm faster than 5 or 6 of those. I'm hoping someone can't make it so I can race.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crackerjack 5k there, Nicko, got to be happy with that.

Solid as ever there, Gul. Nice work.

Just over 7 miles last night at a steady 7.07 pace. Early splits were 7.1x but started to loosen nicely.

Good old fashioned rest day today but with a bit of walking around the City of London for client meetings. Legs are a tad tired, so no guilt about not running.

The Wednesday weigh-in went well today too. Despite protein loading with loads of chicken after my run last night, I was 12st 9lbs (80kg) this morning, only 2 pounds away from race target. I've been on or just above this weight for a few weeks now, which is the lightest I've been for decades, so hopefully the final 2 pounds can be fairly easy to lose and I can travel lighter on race day.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - presumably the Boston (UK) course is pretty flat, unlike the far less prestigious Boston (US). I think you are on for a really fast one if you hold your nerve on the pacing.

OO - get the roof rack - Derwentwater is good and when the water is high you can launch from some way up Borrowdale and shoot the river down to the lake before picnicking on St Herbert's Island.

I don't talk to many runners except at Parkrun where no one is really racing. The embarrassing question is the surprisingly common "what's the furthest you have ever run", the answer often brings politically incorrect comments about mental illness. Lord knows what people think when they talk to Poachette who probably doesn't want to tell them she actually has a Commonwealth medal.

The knee thing is weird - can't kneel, but just did 60m on the bike with no real problems.

Stay fit everyone!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    SBD nice intervals sure there is a fast 5k in you soon and yes despite a  few weeks of ramping up nicely things took a nosedive last week with my hammy injury but it settled enough to make a careful start again soon but its near 2 years now of this so not that hopeful  these days of a comeback !
    Poacher as my coach said last week the smiles of the faces of those that broke 2 hrs for the half were every bit as bright as the top 3 on the podium , its all relative to where you are at right now. Glad you can still put in the bike miles at least when my knee was (still is but nowhere near as bad) bad I could hardly pedal at all. 
    Gul looking forward to your race report in a few weeks  ,all looks promising so far.
    Nicko nice bag of pb's for so early in the year 
    Dt few can get into London now especially if you are male its beyond the vast majority without a charity place. A lot of beginners sign up for maybe a 20 but haven't been past  maybe 10m in training those people suffer a lot. Goodluck with the relay selection .
    Gdawg 1kg lighter than me now so looks promising for raceday.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Not good on the hamstring Leslie - have you seen a physio?

Hope the knee sorts itself out soon Poacher.  Marathon #100 at London 2020 sounds like a good plan - though as a fitting tribute to the thread a Sub 3:15 time would be called for.

Good work on the weight G-D.  I was told I was looking very thin the other day so I must be getting close to racing weight!

Given the relatively easy effort at Ashby, you're looking good for London DT.  Hope you manage to get to the Nationals.

Excellent speed on the 5K nicko - I'm sure there's more to come after Manchester.

Nice mid-week MLR Gul - go easy on the double digit runs in the remaining taper.

Hope you can completely recover from the injury Birch.  Is your son running London?

Good early week miles OO.

The Boston parkrun sounds interesting Lorenzo but I'll just run along the Charles early morning before the BAA 5K gets underway.

A good mix of paces in the 7 miles Stevie.  Very sensible on the weather watching!  I have a 10K tune-up race scheduled for Saturday.  I'm desperate to race a fast 10K but there are no suitable races, so it will need to be the double park run or a 10K solo effort on the treadmill!

14 miles MLR mid-afternoon for me run at a steady pace with some Boston-focussed tempo efforts on the downhills.  Managed to hit 6:10 m/m pace on the downhill sections which totalled approximately 4K.  Average pace for the run of 7:29.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - great effort to get a sub 19 in training. My taper has begun, but only maybe 10% cut-back this week.
    DT - hope you get a place in the national relays.
    GD - sounds like you're in great shape all round.
    Poacher - how's the knee affecting your gardening? Hope it improves soon. As for Boston UK, with an elevation of 21 feet, even I would say it's flat :) What exactly do you mean about holding my nerve with the pacing? Hoping this will be the one where I finally get it right.
    Leslie - don't give up hope.
    SBD - only a couple more double digit runs to go now at most :) Good specificity in your MLR. Not long to go now!
    5x600m intervals today - 2:12, 2:14, 2:11, 2:07, 2:04 - GPS watch made it less than 600m so not quite as fast as those splits suggest. 10 miles in total - not included in the "couple" more double digit runs mentioned above ;)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - I mean trust yourself to start slowly and know exactly how much time, if any, you want to have in the bank at half way.

The knee is not great for gardening but there's an office job for the next couple of weeks so that will give it a rest
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Big CNBA issues tonight. Training fatigue hitting me physically and mentally. Went to the club and did a 3 mile warm up on the streets that got me fired up.
    Track session was 8 x 800 with the first 400 in 90 secs and the second at 85, then 90 sec recoveries. 

After feeling so low before, I found the session very straightforward and was quicker than required, hitting the final 800 in 2.48. A good confidence boost and really nice to run with others for a change.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had an almost identical sesh GDawg. Three mile warm up, then 10*800 then a few miles home for 10 miles total. I'm very slow on the track at the moment :(
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hefty track sessions there - the old Yasso formula says that you can take your time in minutes for the 10 reps as an indicator for your marathon time in miles - so G-Dawg looking very good on the pace there!

Just a short track session with the club, 8 x 300 off 1 minute; started at 58s worked down to just over 50s. Was supposed to be a full second set of 8 but had somewhere to be so used the taper excuse. 7 total with w/up and c/down.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice sessions, G-Dawg, Nicko, Gul and OO.

Decent mlr, SBD.

13 yesterday with 10 at MP. Like the rest of you I am at peak fatigue now. A big effort like Sunday, without any post run downtime is difficult to shake off. Also, I am never good for about 48 hours after a sports massage, therefore I wasn't expecting anything great.

Plan was to run 6.45-6.50 but despite the aerobic effort being low, the legs were unresponsive and really didn't want to run under 7mm. Came out 7.03mm for the 10 with a pretty low 153 hr.

5 mile recovery run before work at 8.45mm average. That gives me 210 for the month with 22 planned tomorrow. Assuming that happens that will replace January (227) as my highest mileage month ever. Rest day sunday as out at a kids rugby festival much of the day, though I may take the opportunity for say a 3 miler if I am back a bit sooner.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - I am thinking 7:15/m sounds good and would give me the 1st half in 95 mins and 5 mins in hand for the last stretch. But best laid plans etc...
    GD - nice session after CNBA.
    OO - ah, but you are fast when it counts!
    Nicko - more 800m reps! Very tidy set too, well done.
    DT - good going at the end of a high mileage month.
    11 steady miles this morning. Will take the now customary weekend rest. Makes 61 for the week and 289 for the month. Bring on taper week 2!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Gul -  mine were only 300s; I was confused by the distance but apparently it's an actual recommended session. Big mileage week for your taper, huge monthly total!

Question for the thread - my loose plan calls for 12 miles steady on Sunday; which translates to MP. I am intending to do this in race gear , at race time etc. But does this seem like maybe too hard of a session a week before the race considering that would be 6:50/mile approx?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nicko: I'd go slower with just a few MP bits in there. Checked my stats and the same run for me is around steady feeling easy sort of pace. Ideally you'll be in recovery and repair mode, you should have an idea of what your MP is, so it's about maintaining and resting from now until race day.

WFH today and bagged 5 easy trail miles at lunchtime as a recovery from last night and to prep for tomorrow's LSR. Funny enough, I was thinking about taper paces today and will once again use the 10 day rule , in that any training effect takes 10 days to present itself. All runs after that are just to maintain and recover. Seems to work for me.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nicko, I think 12 at MP (factoring your already reduced taper) is a big session 7 days out.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I agree with DT
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, I'll aim to tone that one down.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

We (those in London) should be getting our final instruction mags drop in our inboxes very soon I would have thought.

I'm hoping I am on the red GFA start.

Not had any confirmation re Nationals yet. Could do with having some idea as I currently have a large chunk of our weekend blocked out for that, or sunday's planned 5 mile race so I am going to need some certainty soon.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I want red GFA too, DT as that will complete the set for me. I also hear it's less crowded at the front of the red.

On the GFA letter there's a Ref No: which actually looks like a race number. If that's the case, then going by last year's allocation, I will be on red.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes that will be your race number. Based on last year I would be on FGFA, which seems unlikely. The only time I have started on red was in 2014 and I was in pen 2. I definitely recall it being a better start than blue and green.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - oops, yes mis-read your message. Been averaging just under 70 per week this year, so still about the right percentage cut-back. Sorely tempted to go out for another 11 this weekend, but will resist! Also agree about toning down your 12 miler. I would say steady miles are a touch slower than MP, but even so, just 5-7 miles at MP +30 seconds (and the rest easy) would be plenty.
    DT - yes, would be nice for you to be able to plan a bit!
    Bib numbers for Boston UK are up on the website now (1266 for me), so should be in the post soon, I guess.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Nicko - Even I think 12 @ MP is a bit much! I've just done 12m ran as 2 WU, 3 @ 6.45, 1 @ 7.15, 2 @ 6.35, 1 @ 7.15, 1@ 6.25, 2 WD. My MP is around 6.35-6.40. You could do something like that if you wanted to practice MP pacing?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

No support from me on the 12 @ MP either nicko!  A couple of miles at the end at MP just to dial in the pace or a Stevie-style session would be better.

An excellent session Stevie - how's the schedule looking over the next week?

My last London outing was from the Red FGFA start - I think I was in Pen 1.  It's a great start area.

Good easy miles G-D.

Well done on surviving week 1 of the taper Gul.  Resist all temptations to do more than the taper allows!

Keep working through the fatigue DT - it gets a bit boring in the taper!

Good track sessions from G-D, OO and nicko.

10K recovery this afternoon after yesterday's sports massage.  All feeling nice and relaxed so will have to check out the local park run tomorrow (that's Black Park, PMJ!).

Just realised I'm flying out to Boston in 2 weeks time - it's suddenly moved from a distant event in the calendar to something scarily real!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Been on both GFA starts several times, not sure it makes any difference. Pen 1 or 2 will get you away quick regardless of green or red. It’s more important to avoid adrenalin rush and start at a nice controlled pace.

Boston in 2 weeks - how exciting!