Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I never watch cals, just go for carb dense food and drink. 

Nicko, ive purchased some extra maurten drinks to have as almost sn extra meal each. Thats 80g of carb and little else. 

Nice reps, SBD. 

Gul, looks like you are tapering nicely. 

14 yesterday were miserable. It hammered down the whole time. I was frozen ladt few miles. Did bodypump last night then spin this morning followed by a short run with strides. I'm waiting to hear if ive been promoted to a long leg tomorrow. The guy on the leg immediately after me has pulled out as ill. Ive offered to go long if it makes it easier to find someone to run a short leg. 

Have the vmlm guys sorted reg e mail out? Im on 'yellow start' which appears to be fgfa but term is not used. We dont have a pen number and basically start in red start ahead of pen 1. As there are only 2000 runners in that section and as we dont merge with any other start for 3 miles, it should mean a pretty clear start. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the dream start DT! My 4 yesterday were bad enough wouldn't have wanted to be out there for 14. Having a slight dilemma, my new club vest arrived Wednesday but as the weather has been so foul I haven't had chance to trial it. I guess I'll have to take it for a spin tomorrow if I want to wear it Sunday?

SBD - I am reading that correctly, did you eat 170g pasta in 4 minutes! Very impressive
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, generally club vests arent great quality and hold water. After Ashby mine was soaked. However i wore my nike elite vest in Yorkshire and it hammered down for 3 hours and afterwards I'd describe it as damp. i wont wear mine for a mara. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Ours are Ronhill and feel fairly light, I'll see how it feels on a run tomorrow. I'll have to wear it if I make the champs start for London 2020 anyway!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    DT - I'd say that's the best start for sure - I managed to get fairly near the front last year and had no problems with crowding (to my detriment when I went out too quick); better first couple of miles than blue start for sure.
    I've got some High5 energy source to drink in the runup; it's pretty much the same calorie to carb ratio as a Maurten.

SBD - thanks for that info; a solid carb loading menu! I also run a spreadsheet but is more a tracker than a planner. 133g to go today....

Stevie - my club vest is a Ronhill too, apart from the absolutely shocking fit; they are OK to run in. Not had any chafing issues and the sweat wicking seems alright.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

I'd be tempted to stick with the tried and trusted vest Stevie but if you're planning to wear the new one definitely trial!  Might have been a type on the carbo loading diary timing!

Interesting on the yellow start DT.  Essentially the old FGFA start but with a new name.  Definitely more kudus to "FGFA" rather than "yellow"!

I'm flying out on Friday Gul arriving in Boston early afternoon.  May just have time to hit the exhibition.

Only a 5 mile recovery run today - all that was allowed on the taper schedule - so don't really feel like I've run!

Good luck to nicko and Stevie for Sunday.  You've done the training so go out there and have a great race. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Im sticking to "FGFA", SBD. I wonder if this is an example of dumbing down faster runners in a parkrun style. It's  almost like the word "fast" in non elite running is a bit of a taboo word. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow, Nicko and Stevie. Hope you smash your targets and set the bar for the rest of us this next few weeks!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys, hope to do the thread proud. Tried to gain some run karma with a volunteer session at Eastville PR this morning, was able to do the first 2/3 of the race before stopwatch duties, felt easy enough for a 6:57 average on 2 miles.

Bring on tomorrow morning! 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

All the very best Stevie and Nick! Run like the wind and embrace the pain!

I’m happy to report I’ve managed a few runs over the last fortnight. I went 31 days without any running but have completed two slow Parkruns and a few other short runs. I’m still in pain and had to ditch one run on Monday after 2 miles. However, after another 4 day’s rest, today’s Parkrun was less painful. It was a leisurely 23 mins but easier than last week’s 26 mins. The only way is up! :)

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    That's great news Badbark! really glad to hear that

I am number 1741 tomorrow, hope to catch Nicko at the start but if not good luck!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I'll be at the back of A so I'm sure if you get to the front of your pen you'll see me. I'll be in some tramplike clothes with a white/grey striped jumper before kickoff.

Heading to the Toll Gate pub after to meet people if you fancy a quick celebratory pint.

I'm sure you'll smash it, run strong!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Rd relays was tough going. 3.15m with 217ft of gain. Managed 19.22 which was reasonably decent i think. Finished at same time as Andy Vernon so hoping there was a finish line photographer. 

Good to meet speedy again initially in start pen then went for a couple of mile cool down together. I'll see you in London!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nicko, what's your race number? 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I'm 617.

Good job at Relays, that course is a bit tough with the two hills at the start then the finish slog; even not racing it I struggled.

Happy to hear my club A team came in 2nd and 20ish for the B team; sone ridiculously fast running happening
  • I've speed read back. I don't know how you lot have time to post so often! I'm too busy training to have the time ;). I hated the relays today. I was rubbish. 20.40 officially, which is significantly slower than last year (19.23). I don't think I'd have made it up the hill on the cool down without DT19 there. I almost walked. Mind you, I almost walked in the actual race as well. 

Good luck to all of our marathoners at Manchester tomorrow. I will struggle to read any reports until Easter I should think, but I promise to catch up as soon as I can!
  • Quick dip in to wish Nicko and Stevie all the very best for today's race - in the oft used words on this thread, DBS!

Sounds like a tough course at the relays yesterday - did you hear Andy V coming up behind you DT? I trust you managed to get a dip on the line to edge him.

Great to hear you're back up and running Badbark - you'll be back doing 24 hour training runs before you know it.

Hope you have an easy journey out to Boston SBD - I've emailed you to try and sort out a time and place to catch up. You're in such good form at the mo that I'm pretty certain you'll have a good run.

Rather disappointing parkrun for me yesterday with a 20:02 on a flat course that I've been nearly 30s faster on. Was trying to keep it controlled for the first lap and it was a bit congested anyway, but it still felt harder than it should and although I picked up the pace, it clearly wasn't enough. Oh well. 

Had another look through the course video yesterday to get myself in the right frame for Boston - all very exciting and as we fly out later this morning, I had the last minute worry about forgetting  to pack things over a week in advance of the race itself!

Catch y'all soon - enjoy!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Quick check in. Great race today, perfect conditions, came in 2:57:4x for a 15 minute PB.

Didn't manage to meet Stevie - anyone know how he got on?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    boosh, amazing work Nicko. Tracker wouldnt work at all.

I saw Stevie on strava. Looks like he went as planned. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    2.53.17!! Left absolutely everything on course, had to dig in the last couple of miles. Good to meet Nicko in the pub after!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Brilliant stuff nicko - you well and truly smashed the PB and made Sub 3 look easy! Enjoy the celebrations.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Fantastic results from both threadsters at Manchester today, amazing times! Well done Stevie and Nicko.

Only 4 runs for me this week as had a city break in Amsterdam. Had a great time. Walked everywhere and covered 10 miles on each of the 3 days. 

Despite the 3 day running break, legs were still tired on the final 21 miler of the campaign yesterday, averaged 8.14 and job done, I guess. 
    just back from a 5 mile recovery on the trails. To hit 42 for the week.

Similar or slightly higher mileage next week before a 2 week taper.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Great result Stevie - that's a great reward for your patience post calf injury.  Enjoy the beers!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Well done Stevie and Nicko! Great performances from you both. I look forward to the race reports.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good to see you back running Badbark - hopefully you're back to pain-free running soon.

A good last Long Run G-D.  What's the thinking on the 2-week taper?

No need to dwell on the Parkrun time Lorenzo just keep watching the Boston video and study the course profile.

Sounds like a tough time at the relays Speedy - at least you can just focus on London now.

That's a good time for the relay leg DT - the competition was pretty fierce so just to be there was an achievement. 

Final MLR before Boston - 13.1 miles late morning.  Took it relatively easy for the first 9 miles, c. 7:40 m/m, and then picked up the pace for the last 5K to 6:35 m/m.   Probably closer to tempo pace than MP but felt nice and relaxed.

Only four more days of running before catching the flight to Boston.   Must be time to start monitoring the weather forecast and agonising over MP ...

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Popping back in now the marathon season is underway: what great results for Stevie and Nicko (and my teammate who won the ladies' race and broke the course record in the process!).  Sounds like both Stevie and Nicko are deservedly pleased with amazing times.  Looking forward to the full race reports when you've both finished celebrating.

Very little running of late for me after some tendon problems, but now rebuilding yet again.  Unlikely to do a marathon this year, but there it is.  There are bigger tragedies in life, and it's been 2 years so I might as well wait until I'm really ready, now!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Jools and good outlook.
    Great runs from Nicko and Stevie, you have both blown me away with those fantastic runs.
    I had a solid plod at the Blyth 10k in 37:59. My team won the V55 team prize- not bad in a national BMAF event.
    Great to see you back running Badbark.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great work, Stevie. Im very pleased for and envious of yourself and Nicko. 

oo, great 10k, my second half of year pkan is a sub 38. 

Lorenzo, the guy on the tannoy was shouting his name out as we came up home straight but i had no idea where he was. Young Alex Yee ran the fastest long leg of the day. 

Badbark, glad to hear you have made progress. 

Jools, sorry to hear of your issues. 

Nice work on the MLR, SBD. 

Good to get the last long one in gdawg. 

10 mlr today to round off what feels like a taper werk but ive run 52 miles invluding a race and done 2.5 hours x training so a reasonable week. Final one next week culminating in a 23 miler saturday. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thank everyone, enjoyed that one! I'll do the race report tomorrow but stats were halfway in 1.26.51 so 1.26.26 second half. I don't think I could have ran a second quicker!

Legs are completely wrecked today, I think this is going to take some recovery!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Huge congratulations to Nicko and Stevie! A 15 min PB is just amazing, Nicko. And another negative split after the disrupted campaign is fantastic, Stevie.  Really looking forward to hearing the reports.
    Good training all round elsewhere. Managed to shake off the extra 7 pounds this weekend despite no running; just got to cut back on eating now I'm on the final week of the taper. Nice 6 miler this morning, with 2 x 1M @ MP, which came out just under 7:00/m, and the other four 7:3x/m and felt very easy.