Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Stevie, re your clubmates paces, I suppose a lot comes down to distances they train for and how high their mileage is. Running 60 plus mile weeks was only achievable for me by running slower than 8mm. I don't think there is any greater fitness gain whether I run at 7.30 or 8mm therefore I just as well run at 8mm. Why make it harder?

I had a rare run with a mate in a 60m week early April and my mp is faster than his 5kp. I had to ask him to slow down after a mile as he was pushing sub 7.30s and I was struggling to hold on having done some very big sessions in the previous 5 days.

But when it came, Gul it was absolutely smashed. 9 years older and even without factoring that extra age in, much fitter and stronger!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Yes, happy birthday thread and thank you Poacher for the prompt.
    I have contributed regularly, irregularly and not at all at different stages since Feb 2008, when I first posted during the build up to 'Flora' (!) London Marathon - trying to beat my younger self from the 1988 'Mars' (!!) London Marathon. Birch was this your 1988 marathon too?

I have followed everyone's brilliant exploits since my last post in August 2016, just before my life took a few crazy twists and turns.

I have looked on in awe as your training miles ramped up and your marathon times came down - as injuries and other setbacks were overcome in pursuit of the magical marathon distance.

Anyway, I thought I'd properly log in, only to find that my username has been changed to Fish52. Not sure where the 52 comes from as it is neither my age nor my year.

I haven't run a marathon since Nottingham in 2014.
    A few weeks ago, Mrs. F52 pondered why we had never been to Venice? Mmm...I thought - isn't there a marathon there?...
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Fish52 - yes, my first London in 1988 (my 3rd marathon) 

Stevie - don't pressure me ;)  :)
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Birch - well fancy that. If you ran 2:59, then I was about 7 minutes, or a mile behind you! With the finish on Westminster Bridge.

9 miles this afternoon at 8:02.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Welcome back Fish52 - I'm sure there must be a marathon in Venice!

Happy Birthday Thread.

Who made the first post Poacher?

I found the thread a great source of inspiration when I ran my first marathon in 2010, managing to secure the longed for Sub 3:15 Good for Age time and a ticket to run London in 2011!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Fish, please post more often. 
    Great reminder Poacher- it's remarkable really, a thing of beauty ;)

I walked, swam and ran today. Now I'm pooped.
  • Happy birthday all - like G-Dawg I started out on the sub-3:45 thread for my first marathon (3:33) in 2006 and then felt confident enough to join the sub-3:30 crew. Can't remember exactly when I invited myself in to the sub-3:15 party but having run a 3:19:xx in 2007 it must have been around then. The fact that it took me another 2 years to go sub 3:15 shows I was either a slow learner, or a poor listener to all the great advice on here.

Welcome back Fish(52) - will we see you on here again more regularly? Venice sounds like cunning plan to me.

OO - any plans to get yourself a bike and turn into an Ironman?!  ;)

A mix of runs for me this week, starting with the local Vets league on Monday in which I got so excited having run a 1500m in a reasonably well controlled 5:27 that I signed up for a 400m about 30 mins later. 71s wasn't to bad and gives me something to aim for during the rest of the track season.

7 trail miles midweek and I took advantage of being up in Edinburgh last night to head out for a run / scramble up to the top of Arthur's Seat this morning. Back to a normal commuting run tomorrow.
  • Ha - just found this from March 2006! I'm up to just over 4,000 comments since.

New boy on this forum, but have lurked for a while and felt inspired to participate - the mind boggles about the Algarve!!

FLM first ever marathon, having got back into running end of last year and somewhat rashly on a Friday afternoon sent my application off and then got a 201 for my birthday, so no excuse not to take the training seriously.

Was originally hoping for sub 4hr, but training's going well and the couple of races have been encouraging (Eastbourne 1/2 in 1:38, Cranleigh 21 in 2:48) so now gunning for between 3:30 and 3:45. Must remember to resist the temptatation to set off at 7:30 pace on the day as I tend to get over excited at the start!!

Definitely looking forward to the taper - sounds like the weight of opinion is in favour of making this coming weekend the last long run, so I guess I'll be out on the Surrey hills early Saturday morning.

NB: I was simply known as Lorenzo then.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Fish - welcome back. Are you the fish we were formerly to be wary of? Good luck with plans for Venice!
    Lorenzo - a varied week of running.
    I've been fighting off a sore throat this week with lemsips - seems to be gone within a hour or so of waking up, but this morning I have quite a high temperature so having a rest. Not looking good for Sunday :(
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Just thought Gul do you have GFA now for London next year or do you need to enter the ballot? I think it closes today?
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Gul - there's never been any need to be wary of me! Sorry to read about your sore throat and temperature. Resting up sounds like the best plan. You may well be recovered for Sunday's 10K and your impressive training volume will not be lost for a couple of days off.

Thanks for the welcome back and I will return to a regular posting routine, particularly as I now have an autumn marathon to train for. There is definitely a marathon in Venice on 27th October - and I have entered.
    I have also entered the VMLM 2020 ballot, but plan to get a GFA time for 2021. Hopefully I can raise my game to achieve the tougher times.

I have started to gradually increase my mileage, particularly long runs, as it's a few years since I've ran further than 11-12 mile long runs.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - thanks, yes, I am eligible to apply for GFA for VLM 2020, with my Boston marathon result being 5:36 under the V50-54 GFA time.
    Fish - okay, wrong Fish! Pleased to hear you have a place in the Venice marathon, which gives you just over 5 months to build up the mileage. It's my birthday today so it's taking my mind off Sunday - my daughters bought me a Tolkien book 'Beren and Luthien' and tickets to see the film based on his life this evening. More my kind of thing than Endgame! Still hoping I'll be okay and can bag another PB though, to make it a clean sweep in the last 7 months :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Oh dear Gul you poor old soldier. Have a great birthday and good luck for Sunday....
    Lorenzo you sure have improved over  the years!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Gul!

Hello Fish, Venice sounds a good option! Good luck with the training.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, Gul. 

Is that a cake you once had, Birch or a pic from the net?

Hello, Fish! I had friends who ran Venice in 2018. I suggest you google 'Venice marathon 2018 flooding' and watch a few videos. You can imagine it is a little susceptible to this.

I haven't bothered with London ballot, I'm in by over 7 mins so won't be an issue.

I managed 5k at very slow last night. I am getting a bit bored now and find myself filling time by eating crap and drinking beer. My schedule is blank today but I might do a spin class on way home.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Gul. Have a great day and evening.

Same here DT, skipped the ballot. My 3.01 (sorry, I just like to see it written down!) places me two categories down with the 40-44 gang., 14 mins in credit. Should be enough to see me on FGFA at the 40th anniversary of the event AND a competitor in the Abbot World Majors Masters Championship event also being held that day. Nice!

The cold has turned to man-flu and I'm on the Lemsip. However, this old solidier will not succumb.
    Legs are getting better, so my planned easy trot on Sunday will also be a sweat-fest for clearing the remaining lurgy. Feeling OK in myself, so will continue on the beers with the running gang down the pub tonight.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    just off the net, DT - though I was once given a running themed birthday cake, complete with runner on top !!
  • CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    How are you finding your old posts? I assume I must have joined in 2011, having run 3.28 in 09 and 3.19 in 2010. 
    Edit - page one of this thread is December 2010 and I'm on it. There's a list of targets and mine was 3.14.59, which is precisely what I ran in 2011 :)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes I had a look too but could not get locate the original thread :)
    Im in Keswick for the weekend. Penrith parkrun tomorrow then the 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Sorry for you GDawg hope it doesn’t spoil your weekend plans.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Belated Happy Birthday to the thread and Gul!

I joined the old thread in 2010 having been on the 3:30 thread first. I've brought my PB down from 3:26 after 4 marathons to 2:47 after 80.

Welcome back Fish!

I really enjoyed your race reports DT and GD. Huge congratulations to all the great results in London including OO and Speedy. Following you all on the tracker was fun.

I got my MRI results yesterday and the news wasn’t great. I’ve bulged discs and multiple minor fractures in my lumbar spine. Also I’ve a stress fracture in my right hip. The MRI was only done 9 weeks after I first got injured, so I can only imagine how bad it was back then. The Doctor warns me I need to think about my long term health and should consider less impact activities. I’m gutted and my ultra-marathon days could be behind me.

However, this morning I ignored the advice and ran 5 miles including a moderate effort 22:18 Parkrun. I’m not going to run the next two days and intend to drown by sorrows in drink.

• Badbark - ouch. That doesn't sound great news. Are there other ultra events (cycling, swimming, canoeing?) that you could take up instead? Hope that the drinking aids the recovery.

G-Dawg - hope the man flu is clearing up. Pedantry warning - isn't the 40th anniversary of the London Marathon in 2021 rather than next year? It's the 40th running of it in 2020.

Unlike you and DT, I'm less confident about securing the GFA place for 2020 although my 3:08:19 should be enough. I've therefore entered the ballot just in case, although I realise that the chances of that being a viable back up plan are small. 

Speedy / OO - I managed to locate my old posts by clicking on the search icon at the top of the page (no need to add any text in the box) and then at the next page entering my name as author and looking for all any posts within a year of when I thought I'd first posted. Does that make sense? Found the one below for Speedy dating back to the Beginners(!) thread in February 2006 + one from Poacher referring to the Lake Vyrwny Marathon in June 2004 although I struggled with OO but this might be because you've changed your name so much.
    I am planning to do a 10k this summer, which is surely about 6 miles, so why am I running 9 miles in week 7? Is it a misprint? Should it be 9K? I am muchly confused!

comment by Poacher · June 2004 · Events
    Anyone know what the temperature was during the race? I found the heat really tough, but happy with 3.34 in debut marathon.
  • Oh, and at least I'm back in sub-20 parkrun shape with a 19:54 at the Hazelwood parkrun - a very flat, mainly grass surface round the London Irish rugby pitches near Sunbury. 

Reasonably happy with that, but not as happy with Mrs L who managed a 15 second PB a full 5 years after her previous PB was set.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    The reason I know the thread history thing is cos I never got round to deleting the bookmark for the old thread, plus May 2 also happens to be my birthday.  The first posters in May 06 were Humph, Aberdonian, XFR Bear and Joolska. I pitched up in July 06, as did Minni. The next current name is OO54, in Jan 07.  I think the reason for the longevity has been that 3.15 seemed attainable to those who felt they lacked the ability or confidence to declare a sub3 target. And 3.15 was GFA time for MV40s who make up a substantial subset of runners in general.  OTOH a good many have gone on to go under, or very close to, sub3 and those journeys have been a treat to follow.  I suspect the fastest ever posters have been Race Jase and Birch.  If there were a competition for craziest poster, the shortlist would be extensive. And long may it continue.

Still can't walk properly, back to phys on Tues  :'(
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Badbark: please rest.  I know how much you love running, but you have multiple stress fractures.  Let your body heal, see if there is anything you need to address diet-wise, etc., and rehab very carefully.

Poacher: ouch.  Hope the physio has an answer for you.

Parkrun for me today.  Turns out I haven't done one for 23 months.  Ah well - I like a lie-in on a Saturday as a rule.  Anyhow, I'd agreed to do parkrun to see if I was anywhere near fit enough to do the BMAF relays in 2 weeks.  Our local parkrun has a challenging profile (1 mile uphill, 1 mile which is mostly flat but on gravel, and then back down the hill to finish), and is generally reckoned to cost something between 30 and 60 seconds as against a flat course.  Scores on the doors 20.38, so I guess I'm in roughly 20-dead shape on the flat.  Not great, but probably worth toeing the line in Sutton Coldfield if the FV35 team really need me.  Oh, and my splits show the course profile quite nicely: 7.30; 6.48; 5.45, 35s.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Badbark - as difficult as it is please rest! Sorry to hear about the injuries though, enjoy the drinks!

That's a good effort on that course Joolska!

Going through my go pro footage from last weekend and found I managed to capture G-Dawg coming past! Wasn't sure I could post a video on here so photo is above!

Best of luck tomorrow Gul!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    BB - that's a tough thing to hear. Take care.

Nice action shot of the fella in orange with the obligatory both-feet-off-the-ground.

Lorenzo - heck, June 04, that takes me back - first mara on a very hot day and I genuinely thought I was going to die.  Never, ever again was the decision. 

Nice cake Birch, although the runner on top looks a bit like a girl????

Happy birthday Gul
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Badbark Im sure once those stress fractures clear, marathons might be in your range- let’s hope so buddy.
    Thanks Lorenzo and Poacher i will have a look back. I think originally I was ‘one & olney’ (after the town where I was living).
    Well done Joolska, decent time on a hilly course. I did Penrith parkrun in 20 mins. dead. Hopefully saved something for the race tomorrow.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Poacher - my hair's about 3 times longer than that !!   Happy B'day, btw  :)   fingers x'd for fizz visit.   

Badbark - please take care of yourself  . . .  

nice return to parkrun, Jools - good work from OO & the Lorenzo's too  . . . .  

been v.unfocussed in recent weeks since my sad event, but back into something like a run today - 8.5, parkrun, 4,  so 15.5 for the diary . . .