Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - nice cake. The secret to eternal youth is not having any hills to run over ;)
    GD - get well soon.
    Badbark - ((())) really sorry to hear your MRI results. Hope you can find something else to channel your energy into while you get some rest and see how much recovery is possible.
    Lorenzo  - congrats to Mrs L.
    Jools - nice return to parkrun.
    Stevie - thanks. Done enough sandbagging, just need to get on with it now ;)
    OO - Olney One I think it was by Nov 2009?
    Excitement in King's Lynn today when the Linnets won their semi-final play-off. Through to the final on Monday with the possibility of a super final place next Saturday against Warrington. Gale force winds and hail storms today, but the forecast is better for tomorrow thankfully.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gul. West Ham ladies weren't quite so successful but promising much for the future. 
  • Badbark, gutted for you, but just let yourself heal and don't write yourself off just yet. But you really must heal first. REST, please. 

Christ Lorenzo, I don't even remember being on a beginner's thread! A reminder that we were all beginners once though. I was originally Catherine Charlton 2 until I realised that no-one used their real name. Except Catherine Charlton 1 presumably!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for the pic, Stevie! Both feet off the ground, cheers!!  B)

Man-flu hit the chest last night and snotting like a champ, but better tonight. Should be OK for my ultra debut in a week.

Lorenzo - I love a bit of pedantry, and you're right. In my defence I read a Chris Brasher interview last week where he said they had special stuff organised for next year for the 40th.

Badbark. Your running days are far from over. Please go easy and build strength rather than fight against the issues at this early stage. Someone on here told you recently that docs always err on the side of doom, so listen to the problem details and devide your own new running strategy. Good luck, mate.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - sorry, I really should remember your birthday! Belated wishes. Hope you had a good day.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I found this from Nov 2009 our our thread from me as Olney one;

‘Hope you don't mind me dropping in to this thread. I've been rejected for the FLM but entered Paris next April as an alternative. I also did Paris last year in 3:13 and managed 3:07 for the FLM in 2007. So this looks like the thread for me. I've actually started my Mara training and put in 2-3 long runs already, including 2 hours yesterday. Do you think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, should I save the mileage build up until after christmas? Any advice welcome. 

I'm 45 and been running for many years and average 30 miles a week’

30 miles a week pah...

• A further note on doctors being cautious - my friend had a stroke 6 months ago, aged 36. Doctors told her she'd never run again and may never even walk properly again. She clocked 11 miles at 8.10 min miling yesterday and ran the National Road Relays on our B team back in March. The body is amazing. Let it fix itself and who knows what could be possible. 

Happy Birthday (belatedly) to Gul and Poacher :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Speedy - I use half my real name . . . .  

Gul - yes, I noticed King's Lynn had triumphed (guess I'm as much of a footy anorak as I am a running one)  ;  however, I didn't know they were The Linnets - only 11am, and another piece of important knowledge (ok, if you insist, trivia) stored away   !!   
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Looks like my first post was in December 2009 -

"Great forum guys - room for another pair of sub 3:15 marathon focussed running shoes?

Having spent a number of years thinking the marathon would be great to do sometime in the future I seem to have reached the point at which the time seems like now or never!    As I failed (again!) to get a place in London I've duly signed up for the 2010 Brighton Marathon.  This should be fun and although there's no pressure on time I'm pretty focussed on achieving a GFA 3:15 time.  I've always thought a 3:00 marathon was the target but with my constant failure to get a place in London (a long and painful story) means that, for me, 3:15 is the new 3:00.

Where am I at?  I've run on and off for more years than I'd like to remember but never very seriously or high mileage.  For reasons I've yet to work out I started running regularly back in May this year and  have gradually built the mileage to c. 80km per week.  I've done a few HMs and 10Ks this year but nothing approaching the full marathon distance.  In the long and distant past I did the GNR in 1:25 and a couple of 10Ks in c. 38:00 but my best recent time is a 42:55 10K in September.  So a bit of a steep curve to get to sub 3:15 territory but it's a journey I'd like to make. 

I'm planning to start a P&D 55-70 miles p/w 18-week schedule for Brighton from 14 December.  Does anyone have any experience of using this schedule and what were the positives/negatives?"

That seems like a long time ago!

Go easy BadBark - it must be rally tough not being able to run at the moment but you have to give yourself time to recover.

Hope the 10K has gone well Gul.

Ticking over here and rebuilding the mileage.  Pednor 5 mile race tomorrow - a local club event over an undulating route.  Have just re-joined the local club so will put in an appearance wearing the club vest!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Seems my first thread post was October 2013. Funny how experience builds up. I was going to try and hit targets with just 3 runs per week! Oh dear...

--------------------------

Hi Everyone, mind if I barge in? 
    I'm looking for the magic 3.15 at the Brighton marathon next April. Not sure how to hit that time but hoping for tips on here that will at least see me break 3.20.

I did Paris this year and got a PB of 3.23. I had injury woes in training and during the race itself. Had to stop at 16 miles, stretch and massage my calf muscle before nursing it to 20 and then just going for it in an all or nothing approach for the final 6.2. Luckily it worked. Injury aside, I'm sure I would have hit sub 3.20 that day but is there such a thing as a perfect marathon? image

My 3.23 was a Boston Qualifier as I'm an old git who's just turned 46. So with creaking bones and knackered muscles I'm looking to run 3 times per week with a good mix of LSR, intervals and tempo and with an optional 4th run down the gym on a treadmill. Train smarter is this year's theme and I'll see where that takes me.

---------------------

What an idiot!  :D

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    11 miles for me today to bring up 46 miles for the week.  OK, it'll be a while before I'm doing really proper miles, but 50 will at least feel respectable, and that's not far away!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    The weekend just keeps getting better - 38:39 in the GEAR 10k this morning which is a 51 second PB :) Details to follow later...
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Gul!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    1:28:08 at Keswick 1/2 M. The legs actually felt ok and conditions were good. Also sneaked the 1st V55 prize. 
    Congrats Gul you are flying! 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great racing, Gul, OO  - congrats . . . .   
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Congrats OO; 3rd MV50-54 here and Norwich won the Championship :)
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done OO! Great recovery!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    CC I’m sure you are much faster than CC1

Gul - OO - nice cashing in - well raced all round 💪
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, great running and result. I guess there's also additional joy for most Norwich supporters seeing Ipswich at the bottom.

oo, nice work. Not sure I'd fancy that this soon. 

Badbark, sorry to hear sbout the mri results. No wonder you were getting so much pain. Hopefully with some physio, rest and rehab it'll all heal. 

Not much to report. Couple of spin classes last few days. I'll get out for my scheduled 4 miler as soon as i can be arsed. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    BB - Dropping in from the sub 3 thread.  You must rest.  I was like you in 2007 and ran through the pain and took 2 years out recovering from multiple stress fractures. You read the medical reviews which say 6-8 weeks, but for me and for many, it takes longer, and not helped as like you every 3-4 months I would break and run, as I loved it so much and had lots of energy and which put me back a few more months.  So, rest, lots of calcium and sunshine and be patient. Your younger than me, I marathon PB'd when 52 and last week and 3 weeks ago ran my 2nd and 3rd fastest marathons.  So there's plenty of fast times ahead of you, if you play it right now. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Sounds like very sound advice OuchOuch.

Gul- 
    Fantastic time! Massive congratulations!

Likewise to OO on the vet win!

Decent miles Joolska, more than me!

Ran 6m tempo on Friday at 6.22 pace which I think is my fastest ever, followed it up with 12 easy this morning for 41.5 for the week. Similar mileage planned for next week with a big 16 x 400 track session which I'm really looking forward to!

• Awesome racing Gul and OO! 

I have a coach for my next adventure (the 100k) and he scheduled me one solitary 5k run for this week. I bimbled around Temple Newsam parkrun (with a very short warm up, purely because it was actually really cold and I needed to, well, warm up) in a shade under 25 mins, helping the 25 min pacer to gee up those struggling on the last little incline. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Wise words OuchOuch - your recent run of marathons is very impressive!

That's a great PB Gul - well done!

Excellent time on the HM OO - that's a tough course - and well done on the V55 win.

Some good sessions there Stevie.

When is the 100K Speedy?

A steady 12.5 miles for me mid day.  All nice and easy at 7:40 m/m pace.   51 miles for the week, so building back nicely.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    That is a great pic of G-Dawg's marginal gains in action.
    Ace post marathon racing from OO and Gul. Keswick half is a tough course to go 1:28 and a very nice 1st V55. 
    Gul, your 38:39 is most inspirational. I had thought that my sub 40 days are over - I must try harder!
    Jools - 50 miles is definitely respectable. I am at about half of that, so have much building to do.
    And BB, I can only concur with the other comments about being very careful with your stress fracture. Rest. Please rest.

An odd rest/not really rest day today. I was working until 12 last night, then up at 6 this morning to drive 2 hours to help with my father in law, who is in a pretty bad way. Just returned now & haven't even got the energy to watch the final Line of Duty. 
    However, I did a good track session yesterday morning, with 4x800 all at 2:54, with 200 recovery, plus a nice warm up and cool down.

• SBD not until October but I have some build up races planned too. The Grim Reaper in July and Hell on the Humber 6 hour in August. Plus a few training marathons to be run at ultra pace or slower, depending on the terrain.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Finish line action from the Keswick half yesterday.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - looking very relaxed there. Marathonphotos.com now have GEAR 10k online and I look like I'm in a gurning competition during the sprint to the finish line. Just lost out to the 2nd place old git. Felt really drained yesterday afternoon and wonder if I have a low-level virus. Mrs GD is suffering from a bad chesty cough.
  • Looking good OO!

Gul, didn't you have a cold only very, very recently? Or am I getting mixed up? 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

You're cruising there OO!

Hope the virus isn't too bad Gul, your time is even more impressive if you are suffering!

Speedy - Hope all the training goes well, where's the 100k?

Nice track reps Fish. 

Talking of 100ks did anyone see the Hoka One One Project Carbon X 100k record attempt? Jim Walmsley ran 50miles at 5.48/mile to set the world record! He then had to finish the 100k for it to count, that would be a long 12 miles!