Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    eyup, MsE !  , 

nice miles, SBD 

good going, DT - esp, as you say, just 2 weeks on from marathon . . .  

big footy news of the weekend - Woking !!!  hope you celebrated well , G-Dawg :)  well done The Linnets, also, Gul 

3.5 yesterday , giving 27 for the week (all in the last 4 days) - which is a high for me since the end of Jan :/    
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice miles - getting there.
    DT - that's a very impressive 10k time for a hilly course. 
    MsE - great to hear from you again; hope you're back on the road soon.
    SBD - cracking 10k in training. That's some profile! Good luck with that. I'd like to do an autumn marathon, but struggling to find anything suitable at the moment.
    nicko - hopefully the upcoming relays will help you get some focus again this week.
    Took a rest yesterday, so 56 for the week. Ran 11 miles this morning, including some "hill" sprints.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    x-post Birch - onwards and upwards! Ditto for Woking ;)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    MSE welcome back and hope you can make a comeback soon.

Ran my longest run by far in 8 months yesterday and just happened to have a race number pinned to my top .
     Local half marathon and managed 1:50 of very little training and no long runs so it was a bit of a struggle after midway although the last mile was all steep down hill and managed to put in a sub 7 which was a bit surprising ! It was nice day for it anyway and nice to scrape under 2 hrs .

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Great pics and racing from the Jersey 2. There may not be any short shorts on view, but Gerard is sporting some impressive whiskers!
    And DT, that is a very nice 10K so soon after London.
    Thanks for sharing the Comrades pic Poacher - it does indeed look amazing. The thing about road marathons (and probably Comrades too) is that they are so exacting. Getting around in 3:15 or better is a very finite challenge.
    Glad you found the right headspace for your ultra G-Dawg - and quite a distance so soon after London.
    Great marathon pics MsE, you certainly look lean and mean in you 2:58 photo. Hope you continue to recover from your ankle op.
    Nice miles there Jools. I ran 11 easy on Sunday to take my total to 37, which is the highest since about this time 3 years ago.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable scenes at Woking when we won the play-off final! Great celebrations after and now I find myself in sunny Crete for some much needed recovery time.
    I have some running gear with me but unless I want to set a PB for sprinting to the fridge and back to the sunbed with a beer, I'm not sure I'll get much or any proper running in.

Legs can feel the two big runs in them from tbe last two weeks. I can't quite get over running 33 miles 2 weeks after a marathon PB. My legs certainly know about it but the most pleasing thing is that my head was strong enough to get me through the ultra suffer-fest.
    A good recovery should make me stronger, right?
     :D  B)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - well done - you've done the race, now you just need to put in the training ;) Seriously though, I hope you can finally see off that pesky injury.
    Fish - good to build up the mileage.
    GD - plenty to celebrate then. Have a great holiday and enjoy the cross-training :)
    14 miles this morning. Decided I need to get some off-road training in, so headed out to Roydon Common, which was really pleasant, although I did get slightly lost and had to double back a few times!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

G-dawg, enjoy Crete. Good stuff for Woking. Our top striker has just signed professional terms with Stevenage. Will be hard to replace.

Gul, nice 14.

Nice work on the weekly totals, Fish and Birch.

Leslie, that's excellent news. What's next?

Just an easy 5 today in the sunshine. Few more miles on the schedule this week peaking with a 10 miler on Thursday. Keeping the powder dry a little longer than perhaps needed in anticipation of next Wednesdays 5 mile pb attempt. Just as well go there with fresh legs.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very pleased for you Leslie hope it gives you confidence to return to training. 
    Gelling lost Gul, you should know better 🤣

Short run and long swim here today, trying to burn off the holiday excesses. It looks l have a busy week. Club 10k tomorrow then kick off the track season with a club 5k Sunday and a master 3000 on Monday :)
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Been loving all these old photos!

Leslie - That's a decent time off very little training, good to see you back!

Looks like Gerard & OO enjoyed themselves in Jersey!

G-Dawg - Congratulations on the ultra and enjoy the holiday!

Good weekly totals from Fish & Birch.

47m for last week for me. Finished with a 7m tempo on Friday then 13m easy on Sunday. Tempo was ran as 6m at tempo then 1m hard. 6.21 average for the tempo then managed to finish with a 5.57! 12 x 2mins tonight as a tune up before I have a crack at sub 18 at Parkrun on Saturday

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul its the training that broke me ! , I couldn't get to any start lines injury free. Nice 14 and at least you got some extra miles in with the nav error !
    DT I could run the club 5 miler on Thursday with a few hrs off as its 7:30 pm start although currently on nights till fri ! Smash that 5 !
    0054 full race schedule there ! and could do with a few stone off myself currently a lardy 83kg !
    Stevie thanks , on fire with those stats sub 18 should be in the bag .
    Would like to make a cautious comeback but won't get too excited give the last 2 years lol. A local girl I used to be roughly the same pace as 2 years ago ran a 1:18 on sunday's half amazing progress !

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hang in there Leslie, will certainly make things easier if you could shift a couple of those kilos 👍
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Leslie that’s excellent news. Toughing it out while injuries mend is horrible. Nice one.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say congrats DT on an excellent 10k time! Especially 2 weeks after London, shows your in a good place fitness wise!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Bit of a setback here; not sure I'll be making Masters on Saturday.

Went out for progression run last night, bit faster than planned on the way out but felt OK; soon as we turned and picked up the pace my hamstring started to tighten. Slowed it down and let the front guys go off, took a chance to stretch and joined the next group, 100m in, happened again; stopped, stretched, joined the next group at very sedate pace, 50m in I felt a little ping. Ended up having to walk the 3 mile stretch back to the start. Doesn't feel terrible as I didn't push through but something not right.

Hoping it clears up in a few days as if I don't run I don't think we can pull a full team together. DAMN.

Great tempo Stevie
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Hope you can sort out the hamstring nicko - are you going to see a physio?

Good tempo session with a fast finish Stevie.  Sub 18 for the parkrun would be good to beat.

Excellent mid-week miles Gul.  Have you thought about Abingdon or Yorkshire as Autumn marathon possibilities?

Sensible easy miles DT.  What's the 5 mile race?

You're due some down-time G-D but just make sure you get the towel out nice and early!

Good mileage building Fish.

Excellent racing Leslie - hopefully you can get the training miles back up.

Good work on the mileage Birch.  Any races planned?

10 miles with the middle 10K as a tempo session for me this afternoon.  Ran the tempo section progressively, starting at 6:23 (HR 161) and finishing at 6:10 (HR 172) - 38:56 for the 10K.  Struggling to hold the pace for the last 2K, so I guess the pace was just about right!

A nice confidence builder for the weekend HM.  Just 10 miles steady tomorrow and then a min-taper before Sunday.  Exciting!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for you nicko.

Very nice progression run SBD.

Feline present this morning of a rodent or two in many parts. Really whetted my appetite for my pre run banana...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It means they love you Jools 😂
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    SBD - not yet, going to try some movements and stretching today to see if it's something that can be worked out; then of I can get through a couple of test miles I'll know it's not too bad.

Given physio and trainers and massagers too.much money already this year!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hope it's nothing serious, Nicko. I know what you mean re costs. Whilst jogging is very cost effective, running like we do is far from it, unless like Gul, you can get 3000 miles out of a £20 per of trainers!!

SBD- Sub 39 on a training run!! Very impressive. It's the Trent 5 in Beeston. I assume it is part of the Notts midweek summer series.

Nice session, Stevie! Yes it's a good place to be though Sunday counts for little more than some local fun in the scheme of things.

No running today (which isn't a bad thing given the sunshine), just bodypump tonight.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Nicko - Hope its nothing too serious and you get to run the relays! Get on the stretching and foam rolling!

SBD - That is a cracking tempo, looking good for the half!

DT - Yes I find this is a very expensive sport, its the travel for races that gets me! That and trainers. Do you not enjoy running in the sunshine? I love it

Session wasn't brilliant last night couldn't seem to get going, almost sacked it off after 6 but decided to grind it out. Just 5m recovery to do tonight, I want some new trainers for recovery runs as my Ultraboosts are getting close to 650miles and are feeling flat and my Pegasus are a bit firm. Not sure I can justify a full price pair though, any recommendations for something nice and cushioned?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    OO - have a great 10k today.
    Stevie  - cracking tempo run - nice target for parkrun.
    Leslie  - we're all rooting for you. Ironically, I might have squeezed in an extra mile yesterday if it wasn't for all the faffing around.
    nicko - nooo! Hope the hamstring is going to be okay.
    SBD - You are flying at the moment; should be on for a cracking HM. I've certainly thought about those marathons ;) York is Miss GD the younger's 1st choice for Uni in September, but she's not really going to want her dad turning up there after 1 week!
    Jools - had to fish a dead bird out of the pond yesterday - I didn't let it put me off my food though :)
    DT  - now then, let's not exaggerate ;)
    Some P&D this morning. Pilates and drills, that is, and 7 easy miles.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul- note that York is not as fast a course as some would have you believe. Abingdon is faster, if it’s a time you are after. Chester is a lovely autumn mara but probably a little slower than York. 

If anyone thinks running is expensive, don’t ever take up cycling or tri. Sport can be a money pit
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Stevie, I generally find myself running on my lunch hour or at around 5pm which are both hot times of day so i'd rather avoid a sunny day where I can. I use Asics gt1000 for all my recovery and general maintenance runs.

Gul, there are some cheeky little climbs in York and one very long out and back stretch. The out is great as it is largely downhill, however about 2 miles into it you remember that you are going to have to turn around and run back up it all.

I justify anything I spend in running with the thought 'what would a cyclist think is reasonable here'.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SBD - nothing planned - I can (and have) write a plan, with races, intended mileage etc, but whereas I used to be very focussed, and get on with the plan, that seems to have gone now. I was still on target for the goal of 65,000 miles by 65th birthday, and going well, with 161 miles in January, but a leg niggle hindered me in Feb, then (and sorry to mention too much personal stuff on a running forum, but I do think its maybe a factor), I suffered the bereavement in March.
    I've noticed that the lack of focus is apparent in other areas too - eg, when in London for VLM , I left all the logistics for getting around the course to my pal - my mind somehow couldn't compute the details.  
    I hope the drive and focus returns.
  • I've been busy and looked at catching up but it seemed too big a task so I found Gul's post on the Gear 10k and huge congrats to him on the 38-minute clocking and close to 80% WAVA! 

I paced daughter #2 on Sunday round Oxford Town and Gown 10k: I say paced but the plan was 55 and we did 50:58 so not so really I let her run to feel and kept her going at the end.

Track today, 6x800m, my 5th session this year. The times are going in the right direction, started out not being able to do the full set of 6, then averaged 3:16 but now under 3:09. 
  • DT, I've done the Trent 5 before, it's a nice race. I won some cold hard cash but then got done by a speed camera on the way home on a road that used to be 40 but they'd changed it to 30 and I didn't realise. D'oh. The prize winnings did not even come close to the cost of the speed awareness course!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It seems the Jersey parkrun warmup served me well tonight. It was a club organised 10k which attracts about 450 runners. I’ve rarely done well in this race and my previous PB was 37:38 a couple of years ago. Conditions were good tonight, warm with a steady breeze. To my surprise I ran an even paced 36:59 and was 1st V55, by far my best 10k this year, as well as a course PB. 
    I’m  honestly baffled where that came from but bodes we’ll for the track season ahead, starting with a 5k track race on Sunday.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Philip - well done to your daughter . . .  

OO - superb racing - you're flying  . . .  
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Amazing OO - your shorter distance race results always seem absolutely out of reach for me - need to try and sort that out soon. What a pace and fantastic result, congratulations.

PMJ - congratulations to Junior.

Stevie - have you looked at the Adizero range? I wouldn't say as cushioned as the UltraBoost but in my eyes the ultraboost are just a horrible sloppy shoe to run in and the Adizeros just a great all rounder.

Did a test run to see if I could do masters on Saturday, made it all the way to the gym car park barrier - at least 50m - before I pulled out; somethings wrong; not terrible wrong, but I'm not going to risk trying and risk injuring myself more. Luckily we found a replacement.

3 miles and 50m for the week.