Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SBD - top effort there - don't be too hard on yourself - only a month or so since Boston, so you won't be fully recovered from that, especially given your result there . . .   

as for me (and I really do appreciate your asking - it helps) , I need 716 miles in 15 weeks, so average of 48mpw - double what I'm doing currently this year.  Apart from my battered legs, its really my head I need to sort out - and, as I've previously stated, its not really the forum to state exactly what's happened recently, but it greatly affects state of mind, and, hence, things such as motivation . . . .    
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Bad luck SBD, I had a feeling that vest would pull in a quality field. It sounds to me that you ran pretty well on the day so don't beat yourself up too much.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Take care there Birch. There are times when running takes second place even if it’s a welcome distraction. Hope things sort themselves out soon for you old buddy.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo nice parkrun and enjoy the 3000m race. There is a 5k on wed night not too far away but will need to get out of work early.
    0054 sub 18 is a cracking time and on the podium too
    SBD disappointed for you but with the mara in the legs it was going to be a big ask , some speedy 55 year olds about these days !
    8.5m running behind my daughter on her bike today, 8:16 average which was fast for me and about 4 sub 8 miles near the end but at 8 miles my leg tightened up quite a bit so I slowed down but made no difference so just walked back to the car, warm bath has eased it a good bit so should be fine just a bit too keen !

• SBD, have you read up the rules for the England vest? It isn't just the top V55, it is the top V55s who have registered their interest. Over the years I have picked up various prizes and awards simply by ticking the right boxes. Maidenhead 2014 I was 81st overall and 29th V40 and I won the ARC Silver V40 medal. 

I do think the selection process is a bit broken. It has echos of triathlon selection which is very well publicised to be bad. In triathlon, you get people making expensive journeys to far away events where attendance is down so the standard is lower and you get the winners slowing down or stopping short of the line as there is a cut-off time of that is based on the time of the winner, so the slower he goes, the wider the cut-off margin is. In my opinion, it should be based on a realistic time (so e.g. the 1:30 for V55 is a couple of minutes soft for an England vest) and all under that time can run. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Fair point PMJ, I've also won masters medals in races where I was beaten by non-members in the same age group. Those ones go straight in the bin. Of course if that got me a selection  l might view it differently 😏
    Legs feel okish this morning so 3000 should be fine  tonight. I'm gonna predict 10:15 as good target. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - great effort and so close; sub 18 next time.
    Birch - marathon comeback; 65,000 miles and club record would be amazing. No pressure though :)
    Leslie - well done on the 5 mile race.
    Lorenzo - good luck with the 3000m tonight. I presume you'll be running the Circle line overground?
    PMJ - closing in on a sub 20. Trying to find a suitable race can be tricky.
    OO - that's a great 5000m; hope you have something left for the 3000 tonight!
    SBD - that's a tremendous effort; shame you didn't quite make the England vest, but sounds like a relatively tough course. Not sure about autumn marathons yet; doesn't seem to be working out. Might possibly go for a low-key trail marathon in late summer; there's a local one which isn't officially measured but would be a good experience.
    13 miles this morning, including some "hill" sprints.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Oopsmissed this page. 
    Birch  - take care; hope things pick up for you soon.
    Leslie - easy now!
    OO - that's a great target. Good luck.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, excellent 5k running. Good luck in the 3k.

Lorenzo, doesn't the circle line go through some very busy areas? Good luck in your 3k.

Gul, nice 13.

Stevie, unlucky, I am sure when you are that close on another day it will happen.

Leslie, nice work on the 5 mile race.

SBD, that's a shame. I'd have put money on you being in there as well. Looking at the race results across the board it does seem that the prospect of an England vest attracted a higher quality field.

Birch, 65000m for 65 would be a great achievement, but of course other things come first.

PMJ, I don't quite understand your point with triathletes slowing down to widen the cut off? Surely it is within their interests in any event to finish as fast as possible? I note for mara qualification they use quite big events (Brighton, Manchester and Chester) whereas other distances seem to utilise lower profile events.

Just an easy 10k for me yesterday. Will do a short run with strides later in readiness for Wednesday night, with a rest day tomorrow.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, the one glimmer of hope you have is as pmj points out and 3 of the 6 ahead of you have not registered or are otherwise unable to run on 01st September. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdo all,

A flying visit in here from me - nice to see so many friendlies still clacking away at it. It seems that not a huge amount has changed :)  
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Hi Mennania - hope the training is going well for Edinburgh.  You seem to have become very fast over the years!

DT/PMJ - It's probably clutching at straws but you never know.  Given the fastest V55 time last year was 1:28, I expect all the V55s ahead of me were vest chasing.  I should just have run faster!

PMJ - Triathlon clearly has problems, but I think the English Masters Athletics selection process is open and fair.  It does encourage additional entries at regional events and the competition event itself.  It's not clear you get much competition from the Celtic nations but it will be interesting to hear how Speedy gets on at the 10K.  This is the first year for the HM event but I feel the event could gain more traction and become more competitive over the next few years.

The Plymouth course was certainly harder than I expected Jools although I had studied the profile they published!

There is of course the final HM qualification event at Hull on 2 June.  I had hoped to focus on a fast 10K in mid June but it's tempting  ...

That does sound like too many miles for the 15 weeks Birch - hope you can get your head straight soon.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi Menn - I remember chatting with you a few years back at Chester marathon - you've certainly knocked a massive chunk of time off during the intervening period !!   :)  B)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The masters track 3000 tonight was packed out as the first of the season and great conditions. I ran a pleasing 10:10 with a strong finish. Hopefully can get closer to breaking 10 mins next time. 
  • Top stuff OO - you'd have almost lapped me if we'd be in the same race. My 11:36 was a bit disappointing although the 200m half an hour before probably didn't help. 🤔 At least I recovered sufficiently to run a decent leg in the 4x400m relay. 

Great to see you back on here Mennania. What have you been up to? 

Gul - yes, thought I'd stay above ground! Change of plan as a running mate who I'm planning on doing the Circle Line run with can't make this evening so I've switched the schedule to do the Victoria line (Walthamstow to Brixton) today and the Circle Line next week. As my pal ran a 10:06 (he's mid 50s so would be a good smackdown with you OO) in the 3000m last night I'm expecting him to run ahead to find the stations for me! 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Mennania - good to hear from you. How are things going with you?
    SBD - a trip to Hull might be worth a shot.
    OO - that's a great result and a sub 10 could be on next time, as you say.
    Lorenzo - good effort and a busy evening from the sound of it. Your underground line running might just catch on; hope it went/goes well.
    14 miles today, out of town again, along Cliff-en-Howe Road to Pott Row and back via Roydon, somewhat less Metropolitan than the Victoria Line ;)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

SBD- In your position, I would be heading to Hull subject to last years results being no more competitive that you can achieve.

OO- great racing and not far off your predicted time.

Gul, looks like you are back to running nothing shorter than double digit runs again then? Good stuff.

Sounds like a busy and decent racing night for you too, Lorenzo.

Light run last night. I have been feeling a bit battered from my runs post mara which is concerning as effort level and mileage have been low. I noted last night however that my general mileage shoes have been on the go since mid January, so I am hoping their reduced support is the reason for that.

Rest day today ready for Trent 5 tomorrow. Weather looks reasonable in that the wind is light, though it will be 16c with low humidity so shouldn't be an issue. Pb is 31.10 so primary goal is beating that, though I really want to be sub 31 and pushing closer to 30.30 ideally.

• DT19 said:

PMJ, I don't quite understand your point with triathletes slowing down to widen the cut off? Surely it is within their interests in any event to finish as fast as possible? I note for mara qualification they use quite big events (Brighton, Manchester and Chester) whereas other distances seem to utilise lower profile events.

The triathlon rules say: "places based on your finishing time in a qualifying race being within 115% of the winner of your age group’s time for the Worlds and 120% for the Europeans"

So there is no pre-determined standard: the age group winner sets the qualifying standard. If that winner goes balls out from start to finish then it is harder for others to qualify. If he sees he is going to win and eases off towards the end then the winning time is slower and 115% of the winning time encompasses more athletes. This was a real issue when Chrissie Wellington was so dominant. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Why would the leaders slow PMJ, what's their motive to reduce the entry level?

Hope you get a flyer DT

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, I am struggling to get this. Is it basically being kind to all the other hopefuls?

Thanks, OO.

• DT19 said:

Yes, I am struggling to get this. Is it basically being kind to all the other hopefuls?

Thanks, OO.

Yep, being kind. 
  • I think I did 11.23 in my 3000m on Sunday, but I'd done the 800m an hour earlier and was doing the 400m immediately afterwards, then the 1500m immediately after that. I raced for position. If I'd gone for a time I'd have died in the next two races.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You’d have beaten all the northeast vet ladies at our meeting with that time speedy

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdi All

Nice to be welcomed back by you all. Ive been mostly getting injured and snipping away at my mara PB in equal measures :) 

Got Edi on Sunday off  'ok' training due to injury so hopeful for friendly weather to try and get a decent run in. I feel im a couple of minutes of where i might have been but on a good day still in with a shout of a PB.

That was my first ever Mara @Birch - I remember bumping into you just after i dragged my sorry bones over the line! 

Nice work speedy :)

• Maybe I should move back up North! I ran 11.16 last weekend in the County Champs (which I won), but was definitely not first vet this weekend. I was behind Joolska's clubmate for a start, and she's got at least 10 years on me.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes we'll take you back Speedy 😏
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Mennania welcome back.
    0054 great racing.
    Lorenzo nice racing.
    might chance the 5k tonight !
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - hope the race goes well tonight. I'm not planning on double digit runs Mon-Fri at the moment. My vague plan is for back to back MLRs (or LR) Mon/Tue and Fri/Sat, with an easy run on Wed plus drills and maybe 10 on Thu, and a rest on Sun. Still hoping to do the Norfolk 100km in June and then will review my schedule again.
    Speedy - nice 3000m.
    Mennania - all the best for Sunday.
    Leslie - enjoy the 5k if you decide to go for it.
    PIlates this morning, then 8 easy miles with drills (on The Field I might mention for you thread oldies).
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Quick drop in, some very speedy track racing from Speedy & OO!

Good luck for tonight DT & Leslie if you decide to do it

• Not too shabby there Speedy - sounds like it was a busy afternoon / evening. 

Hope DT (and Leslie?) had a good race this evening.

So, an intersting run down the Victoria Line yesterday evening starting in Walthamstow and ending in Brixton although an incident at Finsbury Park nearly threw a spanner in the works. Just under 15 miles in total - not bad for a midweek evening run. 

Jubilee line planned for Saturday.