Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Stevie that’s a terrific effort, nice one. Track can probably make all of us faster - as there’s nowhere to hide.

GD that catch was sensational but it’s frustrating that someone so gifted is a bit inconsistent with bat and ball. If Brearley were captain... Chapeau for Bangladesh too.

May miles: run 0, bike 420. Very fortunate to be able to ride while running is impossible. Wondering what the phys will say on Weds.
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Stevie - Great track report and an excellent no watch PB. I like the bit where you have your own personal official.

OO - That is a very nice WAVA indeed. Hope the hip is ok. I have also suffered with hip issues in recent years - they can be a nuisance.

Gul - 3 runs and 46 miles :) I managed 7 runs, but only 27 miles!

G-Dawg - good decision to rest up if you've some lingering pain. Hope all ok in time for your Thursday 10K.

Yes, pleased with my rib recovery. Hardly any pain through the day & none on yesterday's 8.4 miler, which is my longest run for 4 weeks. And I don't have to go back to the hospital, so I'm generally less wary about it all.
    4.1 on trails & hills felt good today.
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Poacher - just seen your post over the page. Decent bike miles for May. It's not quite the same feeling as running, but at least you get the sun on your face & the wind in your hair - hope the phys has some encouraging news for you on Wednesday
  • Options
    Stevie - great 5K performance. For some reason, I don't ever feel like I've performed as well as should do at either 3000 or 5000 on the track. Not sure whether it's because I go off too hard, or just get a bit bored. Are you thinking of having a go at a 10,000m on the track some time?

Talking of 10,000m, is anyone planning on heading down / up to Highgate to catch the excellent Night of the 10,000m PBs (http://www.nightofthe10kpbs.com/) next month?

Glad you enjoyed the cricket G-Dawg- better result last week than today, but must have been amazing to be so close to Stokes' wonder catch.

Jools / OO / Gul - sounds like 14 miles is the thing to do!

Just three miles for me this morning, involving an uphill sprint(ish) stretch. Will be either the Bakerloo or the Circle Line tomorrow evening for me.  :)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The masters track meeting was this evening. Scores on the doors;
    1500- 4:50
    800- 2:26
    200- 31.8 secs
    Particularly pleased with the 1500 but all times a couple of secs down on last year but off no speed work.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Stevei - Nice work with the 5k. Never run a track race and havent raced a 5k in years.
    Fingers crossed for you @Poacher
    Nowt new here.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Yes I am doing a 10000m on June 20th. The standard is more my level so I should be able to compete and hopefully get on the podium! Enjoy the Bakerloo or Circle line! I really want to go to Highgate but we are going to the anniversary games a couple of weeks after. Not sure I can sell two trips to London for the athletics to the better half!

OO - That's quick! Especially doing all 3 races

16m last night out and back down the canal, was a lovely evening for it. 8.04 avg for a rock bottom HR of 133, really cruising. Got the Two Castles 10k on Sunday so all easy now for the rest of the week.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - great report on the 5000m. Sounds like a nice run along the canal. Do you have a target for Sunday's 10k?
    GD - glad you enjoyed the cricket. Nice easy run and good luck on Thursday.
    Poacher  - hope you get some better news on Weds. 
    Fish - sounds like you're on the mend.
    Lorenzo - good luck with the next tube run tonight.
    OO - great times for your track races; excellent work.
    Out nice and early today, so bagged 21 miles again. So far this week I've now spotted a Little Egret and a Barn Owl (with prey).
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gul - I'd like to get as close to 37mins as I can, its an undulating route so will just see how I feel. Nice 21m
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey Gul that's a mighty run. I assume nice and early means up with the lark...😉
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    An early midweek 21 miler. Mad, Gul!! 

Track last night. Tuesday is the short stuff which is what I need to fire up the fast twitchers again. Running has felt sluggish over the last couple of weeks and I feel I'm still in recovery.

The session was 15 x 400m with 60 sec recs. Coach said to try and aim for low 80s.
    I concentrated more on my form and it seemed to work. Slowest 400 was 1.24 and qucickets 1.19, most came out at 1.21.

Really happy with the session as it seems to show the return of some pace. Ran there and back to bag 9.5 miles for the night.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - nice target for an undulating 10k.
    OO - maybe, but I didn't notice any ;)
    GD - excellent track session; you don't seem to have lost too much pace!
    9 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Busy few days on here. I had a pretty busy weekend and few days in work so not had time to post.

Great May total, SBD. Silverstone 10k won't land for me as I will have got back the day before from Florida and likely to be fat and jet lagged.

I shudder when Gul refers to an early start!! What was it, 2am?? Nice casual midweek 21 though.

Stevie, great work on the 5000m sub 18 and the Monday night 16. Good luck at the 2 castles. I did it a few years ago and didn't much enjoy it. I somehow ended up with race number 1 which attracted too much attention. I recall at one stage towards the end a child saying to his dad 'there's number 1, they obviously don't give that to the best runner'.

Nice reps, G -Dawg.

OO- Great night of track racing!

Fish-, good to hear you are recovering well.

Good luck with the physio today, Poacher.

Menn, thanks for the insight. I was expecting much more complex stuff however it doesn't sound that different to what I do. I think my 13 weeks before my London taper I averaged 52m with a few big weeks. I guess I just plough on and see what happens with time and consistent training.

Parkrun Saturday wasn't fun. First mile was only just on sub 19 pace and by 1.5m it was all seeming like much too much hard work. Mile 3 I just gave up completely and came in 19.24. A bit of x training to start the week Monday then an enjoyable 7 in the rain yesterday. Mini session over lunch today then easing back before Sundays Welsh castles relay. I am on leg 18 which I did 2 years ago. Looking back on garmin I only managed 6.45mm for 51.xx. I must just be really crap at running at this point post mara. Hoping to be more like 6.20 pace on Sunday which  ought to get me well into the top 10 of that leg looking at past results.

• Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - 1.21 400 reps are very impressive, I averaged 1.25 a lap for the 5000m at the weekend so that is a cracking session.

DT - Good luck at the weekend. I last did Two Castles 7 years ago so can't remember much of it. Theres around 35 runners from the club doing it so will be a good day out anyway. Weather is looking decent as well with a tailwind the whole way which will help!

Just 4m recovery for me last night, average HR of 126 which is the lowest I've ever seen. Starting to feel in good shape which is promising as the start of the Berlin campaign looms.

Trying to decide what to do in July, I've got a 10k pencilled in on 14th and I want to race the 5000m again on 27th. Considering sacking the 10k off so I can start on marathon training after the 10000m on 20th June. Get a decent 4 weeks in then a mini taper for the track race. Will obviously speak to Lewis but what do you guys think? Getting conscious that Berlin is creeping up!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd probably want to get my head into mara training. Particularly as your build up to Manchester was limited and Berlin you are looking to find 9 more minutes. 

Session over lunch at 8 x 3 min at 10k effort off 1 minute easy float, so continuous as opposed stopping. Really strughled to hit paces. Expected to be progressing the session to be finishing with the last couple of reps at around 6.10mm. Just couldnt seem to run faster than 6.20mm, whilst remaining true to the scheduled effort level. A multi directional cross wind didnt help matters. It felt like i was permanantly running into it. 
  • Options
    Race last night: summer 5k at Cookham.

The basic idea here is that this is a 7 race series and this was race number 3. Races 4 (Handy Cross) and 6 (Marlow) are the fastest in the series so I the plan was to do race #3 to get the number and get one under the belt before the faster ones later on. 

Cookham is a really pretty place for the race: up towards the top of Winter Hill (not down in the river plain) all round Copas Farms on private paths which are mown especially for the race but the prettiness does not make it fast. It is a good flat, fast start that soon heads downhill down a wide, well-made farm road up to 0.75 miles. After that, it gets onto paths round field edges and seems to be dominated by uphill bits. 

I started quite a bit back from the sharp end but struggled as there were way too many optimistic starters up near the start line and the start was slow. Still, the first mile in 6:39 even though the downhill bit was 5:48 pace and then a couple of 7.0x to end up with 21:19 which is about 25 seconds faster than last year so happy with that.

Feel that the other races should work out OK.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'd find it hard to hit those paces too in a training run DT.
    I remember Marlow from a very long time ago when my wife worked in Maidenhead- as you say PMJ a very pretty place and ideal for a run. Sounds like a great race series, nothing like that for 5k up here.
    Just plodding and swimming here at the mo before the next big race on Sunday- the Blaydon race (5.5 miles). We head down to Sheffield on Friday to collect daughter no3 from Uni. This is the last daughter in her last year so quite a historic trip. We will all run Hillsborough parkrun before heading home on Saturday, then all do the Blaydon race on Sunday. It will be great to have Junior OO back as my running partner- many showdowns to follow 😁
  • Options
    OO, I have 4 at university at the moment so have quite a few trips over the coming weeks doing pretty much the same.

Though it is a bit of a cheat:
    #1 daughter is married and a teacher but is registered at uni to do a part-time masters
    #2 daughter is about to finish her PhD at Cambridge but has a post-doc lined up so it is just moving her between rented places in Cambridge
    #3 daughter is about to finish her PGCE in Loughborough so needs moving back and then has to find a place near her first job in Burton on Trent and be moved into there
    #4 (and the only boy) is about to embark on a year out so needs emptying out of Warwick University and needs to find digs in Portsmouth for a year

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    PMJ sounds like you have your hands full. When junior comes home we stop paying her accomodation and all my financial commitments to the kids end- which makes a big addition to my pension. I reckon you still have a good few years to go!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Stevie cracking track 5k and a nice new sub 18 pb.
    0054 flying on track.
    PMJ nice 5k on a tough course.
    DT sounds like parkrun was a bit of a struggle for you.
    Gul 21m before work ,hope you had an easy day !
    Gdawg very speedy laps.

Out for 2x800m,4x400m, 10 min tempo and 6x200 with the club as a mixed session.

Flying on the 800's at about 6:15 pace but started to blow a bit on the 400's and about 6:45 for the 10 mins , but had to sack the 200's as my hammy needed a rest again as was complaining quite a bit but no harm done.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds brutal Leslie. My hip has been too sore for any quality track sessions.
  • Options
    Great going on the track there OO - flying.

Good quality track session for you as well there Leslie - just go easy with the hamstring.

Nice improvement on the 5K time PMJ - sounds like you're going to have fun planning all the family logistics.

Great early 21(!) miles Gul - what time did you start it?

Mixed feelings about Tuesday's run - I ended up doing the Bakerloo line as my running mate has had to postpone the Circle line assault until next week.

In a nutshell, having set off in good spirits from Harrow & Wealdstone, I took a tumble after about 2 miles, rather embarrassingly falling over my own feet as I was running through a car park.

Bloodied knees and hands but I picked myself up and carried on running through the delights of Wembley and Harlesden before making it to Marylebone where I got asked to sign a petition by a guy at the station. Happy to do that, although had to apologise profusely for leaving bloody marks all over the petition page - a bit ironic as it was a petition to take more action to prevent knife crime!

Got safely to Elephant & Castle at the end of the line (just over 16 miles in total) and jogged slowly back to Waterloo for some refuelling but by the time I got back home after 50 mins on the train my left leg had stiffened up (but more in a trapped nerve sort of way than anything obviously muscular) and after a rather uncomfortable night's sleep I could barely bend it in the morning. Spend yesterday limping around and although it's a bit better this morning, I'm definitely nowhere close to being able to run on it.  :/

Not sure if it's got anything to do with the tumble but seeing an osteopath this evening. Ho hum.
  • Options
    OO54 said:
    PMJ sounds like you have your hands full. When junior comes home we stop paying her accomodation and all my financial commitments to the kids end- which makes a big addition to my pension. I reckon you still have a good few years to go!
    Luckily they all seem to be getting paid to study so the eldest 3 are all financially independent (even though #3 does have the oddity that this year she is getting £22k tax free to do her maths PGCE and next year as an NQT  on payscale one she gets £23,720 which is taxed so a net decrease). The boy is getting paid to do his year out.

Did 7 at lunchtime yesterday and I was tight for time as I had a call at 1 pm. I didn't want to push hard but also didn't want to dawdle and went around my hilly 7-mile loop and surprisingly came out with a much faster time than it felt. 
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

OO - ace track race times. Your range from 200m to the marathon is even better than Mo Farah’s. ;) Hope the hip improves.

Stevie - looks like you’re in great form. Good luck with Sunday’s 10K

Gul - That is a crazy midweek long run. You are so dedicated to the cause. But I do have visions of you running along with binoculars for your bird spotting!

G-Dawg - great speedy 400 reps. I love a track session like that. Hopefully as my ribs improve, I’ll be able to get one in soon.

DT - yep, a cross wind can really hamper speed sessions, so you did well, & as you say, kept to the scheduled effort 

PMJ - A 25 second improvement over 5K is impressive. Looks like you’ve got some monster logistics to plan! My worst year for that sort of thing was in 2011, with 2 at university & 1 who chose a 6th form 35 miles away.

Leslie - Sounds like a tough club session. Wise move on the 200s - & I hope the hammy is ok

Lorenzo - for each of your recent posts I have an image of the tub map! Are these organised runs, or an adventure of your own design? Hope the leg is ok & that the doc can help.

I'm still plodding easy miles at the moment. But my ribs feel almost better. No pain killers, no discomfort at night. I might see if they can hold up to some mountain biking this afternoon...

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - I'm sure you'll hit the pace you are hoping for on Sunday. Tuesday's run started at 4:18am.
    Stevie - yes, I'd focus on the mara training now.
    PMJ - good progress on the 5k and a good lunchtime run.
    OO - that's quite a weekend you have planned. Hope all goes well.
    Leslie - I do worry every time you say you were doing a club / speed work session! Pleased to hear you say no harm done.
    Lorenzo - sorry to hear about the tumble and the leg problem; hope all goes well with the osteopath and it can be easily sorted.
    13 steady miles this morning. If I can wake up in time, I'm hoping to get another long run in tomorrow.
  • Options
    Gul - I've lost track. Is all this mileage in preparation for an upcoming Ultra, or just because you like being up and out before everyone else wakes up!

PMJ - we've planned(!) things much better. Elder Lorenzito finishes his Master this year and has got himself a job up in Manchester, just in time to pass the uni baton on to younger Lorenzito you'll hopefully be starting in September.

Fish - no, they're not organised. I just fancied it as a bit of fun. It probably sounds a bit geeky, but I find that there's something inherently fascinating about the Tube network (where it goes, how it grew over time etc) as well as being a great excuse to see parts of London that I've never been to before. I work in Camden so it's not too much of a logistical challenge, but just need to make sure that I allow myself enough time (taking into account that I need to work out where to go en route as well as taking a selfie outside each station) so that I don't miss the hourly train back home!  
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear you are on the mend Fish- you'll be back to full pelt in no time.
    Hope your cuts and bruises are healing nicely Lorenzo.
    I had a 7 mile run plod followed by a fast 2k swim today. I've bought a gym package on a 2 month trial so will go back for my second ever Pilates class this evening- my flexibility  is a disgrace to witness but I'm telling myself it's good for me.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Fish - Glad to hear you're on the mend. Do you have a race target?
    PMJ - That's a decent improvement, plenty more to come over the summer!
    Leslie - Good work on the club session, especially with no damage!
    Lorenzo - Hopefully you haven't done too much damage, get rested and healed up.
    DT - That's a really good session. For what its worth it took me 5/6 weeks to feel fit again after Manchester. I think we forget how much the marathon takes out of us
    OO - Good luck for Sunday! (I think Blaydon is this weekend) I would also be useless at Pilates but its probably something we should all do.

Had a nightmare journey home last night so didn't get out for my run. Managed to get some calf and glute work done instead which I have been neglecting. Decided to sack the July 10k off so I can concentrate on getting consistent training in. Will still be entering the Notts 5000m, looks a decent event

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Not geeky at all. Years ago when I lived in London, I was proud to know which line every tube station was on. It sounds like an interesting mission that you have set yourself.

OO - I have to say you're flexibility comment made me actually laugh. I'm picturing your typical runner's immobility amongst a room of bendy yoga types. It will surely be good for you.

Stevie - Well my main race is the Venice Marathon - last weekend of October. It will be my first marathon since 2014. I'm also planning a few local 10Ks during the build up. Well played on making the most of your shortened training time. 

So I managed 12.4 miles over local hills and bridle paths on my home made gravel bike. An average of 14mph is no where near my time machine speeds, but it was a decent work out & my ribs held fine, so I reckon they are better. I'm expecting stiff arms & shoulders tomorrow morning...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes it was just like that Fish, I gave them all a good laugh 😢