Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Back at ya, GerardM  :) (although I will mostly lurk while I try get back to regular running).

Best of luck to the weekend racers, SBD and Stevie.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gerard you old dog. You live in the dream place for running, get your trainers on lad 😉
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, been reading whilst away but we have been full on in parks so no time to post.

Good to hear you are in a better place, Badbark.

Good to hear you're well also, Gerard.

Nice racing, oo.

Good luck sunday SBD, jools and stevie, whom im expecting to see a sub 80 from when i wake Sunday and look on strava!

I've been doing some holiday running. I've a nice little 2 mile loop within complex which i do twice every 2-3 days. As legs are loose I've been pushing pace a bit faster than easy which is hard as it's never below 30c with a feels like of 40c.

Anyway, it looks like my holiday will be extended beyond our planned flight home monday late afternoon. Hurricane Dorian is coming right through us as it stands anytime from monday night so Orlando airport is closing from monday morning until it passes which could be Thursday. So, like the locals we are preparing for it by getting water in and non perishable food etc. 

On a plus, the americans have all been cancelling their bank holiday weekends away to florida for the opening of star wars so we will get a quieter park the next couple of days. 
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Haha no pressure then DT! i can think of worse places to be stuck, hopefully it passed through quickly. 

Good to hear from you Gerard, stick around! 

Usual pre race tune up of 3m/drills/ 4 x 45s last night. Completed August at 205m which is my highest ever month. Weather is looking perfect for tomorrow so looking forward to it, will be leaving it all out there. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Nicko sorry to hear about the gfa ...you were robbed there if 2:57 isn't enough these days.
    Birch happy belated birthday and welcome back and surely its a comeback category for you this year now ,come on champ !
    MSE welcome back glad you are getting some running in again.
    Gerard we need the odd year off I suppose although id need a full year on soon for a change !
    Dt enough the extended holiday
    Stevie good month and you go smash it !

Took a coupe of rest days /day on/off and sacked any speed work so my quad could settle, felt more like a big bruise, not sure how I hurt it , always injuring myself in the shed so not even sure if it was a running injury or not . Only got 15m this week so far but have the local half tomorrow ,was going to run last night but it rained heavily for the last 24 hrs virtually non stop so decided against it after work .
    Managed 151m this month which trump's last months 121m,
    744m for the year so far which is only 24m short of last years full time total !

• Options
    Good luck to the racers tomorrow! I'm sure you'll all smash it.

DT - stay safe over there!
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Birch! 

Its a bit naughty what they are doing at London nicko -but I guess theyve got a lot of competing factors so are on a hiding to nothing.

This coach has got me going through the gears quite a bit and feeling it in my legs all the time. Mini taper before Vyrnwy next week and Im looking orward to it.

Go well all racing this weekend.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Picked up a team silver at the vet road relays today. 2.2 miles per leg at 5:45 per mile.
    Also ran a slow parkrun to warm up. It's been a low mileage week but 15 tomorrow will get me to 40+
    Good luck all tomorrow's racers- early race reports please 🧐
  • Options
    Top bombing OO.

Will write a full report later but short story is 1.20.07 on the watch so a 2.43 PB. Course was hilly but paced it fairly consistently, probably left a bit out there but that's ok 4 weeks out from Berlin. 
  • Options
    Ridiculous Stevie. Congratulations that's an amazing time, especially if hilly and you felt there was more in the tank.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    0054 nice bit of bling to add to the collection
    Stevie those 7 secs I feel for you ! getting seriously fast now and a pb is always great.

Waterside half marathon today:

Target was 1:45 after last months 1:49 so followed the 1:45 pacers who seemed a little sharp on the pace some of the miles so eased of a little as 7:40's early on might bust me like last year and there is a big hill over the Foyle bridge at about mile 6 to contend with.

Miles 1-4 were : 7:47, 7:40 and 8:03 and 7:45 and  there were quite a few little uphills in these then a couple of laps of the hospital/park grounds and on our way to the bridge with a 7:56 and 8:00 for the lead up to it when I eased of and let the pacers go as the next half mile was solid climb then 0.3m down with another half mile climb which seems to take an age to get to the summit then an 7:38 which was mostly down hill where I just let the legs go and passed whoever I could without over working !
          At the start of mile 9 Id caught the pacers again and decided that I was pushing on hard and see if I could make it to the finish without blowing up as it was all flat , a good few clubmates were passed and the next 3 miles were 7:16, 7:13 and 7:25 so around current 10k pace .
       Mile 12 the rain came on , it had been quite sunny at the start and it got cold and windy and I was starting to regret putting the hammer down too early plus my right quad started to gurn quite a bit (this wasn't the sore one either from a few days ago) .At this point you could see all the faster runners looping back and it was a bit deflating to watch them .
        After the turn to come back in I could see the last clubmate I had any chance of passing a long way ahead who I caught in the 10k last week , well that was that and challenge was accepted and I got the head down as much as I could and even with a mainly uphill last mile a 7:25 on very tired legs was posted which was enough to get past with a hard push to the finish the last little bit at 6:15 pace to seal the deal.

Job done in 1:40:26 which is way faster than I though as possible for now but starting to feel like a runner again so well pleased with that !

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent work at Waterside HM Leslie - that's great progress on the time.

That's a cracking time Stevie given the course and you weren't running at 100%.  Looking good for Berlin.

Well on the road relay silver OO - you're amassing a good collection of prizes.

You're doing a lot of quality training Mennania.

Nice extension to the vacation DT assuming Dorian doesn't get too close!

Good to see MsE, Gerard and Birch dropping in.  Belated happy Birthday Birch - time to crack on with those V65 PBs.

Hope you managed to get run in Gul.

• Options
    A solid run today (on the basis it wasn't tapered for): 40.13, 35th female and 3rd FV40.  So that's 27 seconds faster than 2 weeks ago when I was a bit fresher.  It's a bit sobering I used to be able to continue for another 32.3km at that pace, but there it is.  At least things are going in the right direction, even if I didn't quite have the zip for a 39.59 in my legs!

Stevie: congratulations on taking such a decent chunk off your pb, especially when not flat out!

Leslie: well done.  It's always great to exceed expectations, and as I know all too well, when on the comeback trail you take every bit of progress with about the same joy that a pb used to bring back in the days of full fitness!

54 for the week (highest since March); 219 for August (highest since October).

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

So, Maidenhead HM for me today.  The plan was for an MP run as the last 13 of 18 miles.  This is the final week of a 4-week big mileage training block (80+ per week) and there's been no taper for today (62 miles for the 6 days to Saturday).  I was feeling a bit jaded mid-week but had a good progressive13 mile run on Friday with the last 1 mile at 6:24 at a HR of 160 which is just a bit below MP effort.  So the plan, after the 5 mile warm up, was to try and maintain c. 6:24 pace.

The HM hosted the English Masters Celtic Nations competition, so lots of fast vets in attendance wearing their England vests.  Not much competition from the Celtic nations, but the vets all had their age categories displayed on the back of their vests which provided a great incentive as you closed in on the runner.

A really nice course, flat and fast and good conditions (sunny but light breeze). 

Ran the first mile at a conservative 6:30 and then picked up the pace a little with Garmin splits between 6:16 and 6:30.  Went through 10 miles in 64:30 (having spotted PMJ) but then struggled a little over the last 3 miles with splits of 6:31, 6:32 and 6:29.  Managed to raise a sprint to the line to finish with a gun time of 1:24:51.  A couple of miles w/d to give 20 for the day and 82 for the week.

That's my fastest time since 2011 and it was nice to have gone under 1:25.

Recovery week next week and then 3 more big weeks before the Abingdon taper.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great time, Stevie. Having done the old Kenilworth half a few times and some other racing in the area it is a very undulating place.

Great going, SBD. Interestingly, all GFA runners in London next year will be given an age group number to wear on back. 

Good progress there, Jools.

Leslie, that's immense. Really getting some shspe back now after a difficult period. 

Nice prize winning, oo. 

So the hurricane won't now be coming in soon enough to affect our flight so flying as normal tomorrow night. Just off for my final holiday run to hit my target of 6 runs in the 13 days. it'll be 13c when we land in manchester Tuesday morning. We've not experienced a temp below 30c day or night in 2 weeks so that might feel a bit fresh! 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going SBD that’s an impressive run, you really nailed it. 
    As you say Joolska good progress, I’m sure that zip is just around the corner.
    Well done Leslie, that’s a massive gap below target, definitely on the road back.
    Thats a great weekend of running guys.

Stevie I saw your race on Strava- mighty impressive 👍
  • Options
    Well done, SBD: that progression run will still have been in your legs, so fair play to you for being able to dig deep and dip under 1.25!
  • Options
    Had a leisurely run yesterday so parked in Marlow and ran 4 miles to the route of the Maidenhead Half and then did a lap running against the direction of the runners so saw them go by twice: once at about 3 miles and then again at about 9.5 where SBD spotted me (rather than vice versa) and then back to Marlow for 13. For the record, it was just over half distance and 1:43 but the rests to encourage people on certainly made it a bit easier. 

The representative vest thing made a big difference to the appearance of the front end of the race. This year, 307 finished under 1:30 chip time compared to 189 last year.
  • Options
    SBD - congrats on a great HM time on legs that can't have been fully fresh! Will have to give that course a go sometime considering it's my old hometown. May head to Maidenhead parkrun Saturday to support my Mum on her 50th time there.
    Jools - solid time at the 10k, improvements will come I'm sure. Some good times from other clubmates yesterday as well.
    Leslie - excellent work at Waterside and nice report - a big jump from what you expected must be a solid confidence boost.
    DT - were you going to go to Galaxy's Edge? Looks awesome

40-something for me last week capped off with a nice varied easy 14 with a few clubmates yesterday, some road, hills and trails for an 8:12 average. Legs were in pieces from a strength session on Friday and Ashton Court parkrun Saturday (still can't handle that hill) but got through it. Thursday's treadmill session was disappointing - was aiming to do 10K in 39 mins but dropped after 20minutes and followed it up with 7x800m intervals instead. Will take the HM pace stuff to the road from now on.
  • Options
    GM - good to hear from you. Sometimes good to have a break, but hope it's not too long before you're building a decent base again even if you don't get around to racing.
    DT  - glad you can get away before the Hurricane comes; have a safe trip back.
    Stevie - congratulations on the PB - really impressive anyway, but that's some going on a hilly course. Looking solid for Berlin.
    Leslie - great day's work - you should be really pleased with that. Well done!
    OO - congrats on the bling.
    Jools- solid progress; definitely heading in the right direction as you say.
    SBD - excellent race/run in Maidenhead. All looking good.
    PMJ - good running.
    nicko - a good week's training in the bag with plenty of variety.
    Only time for 3 miles on Saturday morning. Hoping to do 3 runs / 3 swims this week and started off with another 70 lengths of the pool today. Getting a bit busier than usual towards the end.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nicko, yes we walked around the new star wars attraction. Its pretty much a visual experience as the only ride is millenium falcon and that had a 2 hour wait and the reviews of it were average. The area itself and attention to detail is immense. 
  • Options
    Some great HMs over the weekend - congrats to Stevie, SBD and Leslie.

Hope you get back OK DT - hopefully it won't be the force of the hurricane that's with you.  ;)

Good running Jools - what's the next race in your calendar?

Nice to hear from you GM - are you going to be doing any XC this winter?

Finished August with a rather paltry 78 miles; a combo of the injury and holiday but it means that I'm going to have to get back into the swing of things soon if I want to get to 2,000 miles by the end of the year. Managed a 20:27 at Woking parkrun on Saturday which wasn't too bad as the course, while dead flat, is quite twisty especially as there was an extra twist to avoid a wasps nest. It's also a three-lapper which meant that things were getting a bit congested on the final lap. I'm hoping to do Old Deer Park parkrun this coming Saturday as I've been roped in to play softball in the park from 10am onwards so seems rude not to take advantage of another tourism opportunity.

Started September with a 65 mile bike ride down to Rye, just for fun, and managing to time things perfectly to meet MrsL (who'd driven down) there for lunch. All very pleasant.
  • Options
    Missed the August total in the excitement of the weekend. Knocked off 170 miles so the year to date is just shy of 1,400 miles and 53 miles ahead of the target to hit 2,019 miles in 2019. Pleased with that: August looked tough with 2 weeks on holiday, 1 week in the US and 4 days moving 2 kids about in a van but it worked out OK in the end.
  • Options
    Not even at 1000 for the year so no chance of getting anywhere near the mileage of you guys but should hit 4 figures in a couple of weeks - shows that my mid-year break is hampering progress a fair bit.

Entered Bristol Half on a whim last night to get a decent pace long run in before RP Half, think it will be a MP run, but will see; might get carried away. Usual Monday night progression run last night with an extra mile there and back to make it 7 total. Felt fairly steady working down from just under 8:00 to 6:04 then 5:30 for .2 and then a 7:10 run back to the car.

DT - yeah I heard that the 2nd ride is not open yet but there's lots of smaller attractions/experiences? As a big fan I'd love to take my nephew there sometime (just an excuse taking him, would go on my own happily!)

• Options
    Lorenzo - low mileage month for me too (108). Nice parkrunning.
    PMJ - I was on course for 3,000 at the end of June (1512), but now looking at a total for 2,000+ after a total of just 126 in the last 2 months!
    nicko - Bristol HM should make for a good MP run. Great progression run.
    11 miles this morning. 2M w/u, 8 @ 7:31/m and 1M w/d.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Nice early miles Gul.

Good progression run nicko.  It's well worth a trip to Maidenhead next year.

Good progress on the mileage PMJ.  Any race plans for the Autumn?

That's a reasonable park run Lorenzo.  Hopefully you can build the mileage back.

Well done on getting the runs in DT and good to hear you've escaped the worst of the hurricane.

That's still a good 10k time Jools given the untapered legs and should make the Sub 1:30 for the champs qualification comfortably within reach.

10 miles for me today after 7 recovery miles yesterday.  Progressive run from 8:26 to 7:14, averaging 7:36.  Legs just about recovered from Sunday's efforts.

August was a big month for me, so 348 miles, which is probably a record.  Just need to stay injury free.

• Options
    SBD. said:

Good progress on the mileage PMJ.  Any race plans for the Autumn?

No plans yet. Daughter #2 wants to be paced to a sub-50 10k so I'll enter a 10k with her and I'm up at daughter #1 this weekend at Long Eaton which has a flat and fast parkrun so I'm hoping to go sub-20 there but that is probably the limit of it all.

I guess a lot of it is about what you want from running. I used to be competitive at the open level and used to win a few prizes from time to time and got the odd county medal when the stars aligned correctly and I was in the right race at the right time (and the other fast guys were elsewhere). 

Now, I'm not so competitive. I used to be about 80% WAVA and now I'm at about 75% but also I'm a lot older. At ~ 80% WAVA and late 20's I was running about 74 minutes for a half (so that is both my run and the age-graded result). Now, older if I still ran at 80% I'd be 86 minutes and that goes out to 91 minutes at 75%. 

In terms of Sunday, 74 minutes would have given me 23rd place, 91 minutes 328th. 

Last Friday I parked at our local brewery and run 3 miles up on side of the valley it is at the bottom of, round the top and back down 3 miles on lovely paths in bright sunshine with the promise of beer at the end. That's what I want form running and racing does not give it to me.

• Options
    SBD - that's a very big month. Nice start to the new month too.
    PMJ - still got a bit of a competitive streak here; especially now with a return to London in the diary.
    Usual swimming session here today. Just starting to think about how I could introduce a recovery run on a swimming day. But for now it's swim/run/swim/run/swim/run/rest.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, it's probably worth waiting until the 2nd ride opens. The reviews of the millennium falcon ride are pretty average. I'd like to target Bristol half again some time. It was a break through run for me some years back.

Nice 11 yesterday, Gul. Looks like you are moving back to previous mileage.

SBD- That's a mental total!

Easy 10 yesterday afternoon for no other reason than to give me something to do so as to stay awake until a normal bedtime. Despite feeling shattered I didn't sleep well so knackered today. There's a 4m run on today's schedule which I may or may not do as we have a school meeting tonight. Tomorrow evening I have a work function and then Saturday I am supposed to be in Bristol from early afternoon drinking, though haven't book a hotel yet so may ditch it if still tired.. Not really the volume of commitments I wanted straight after hols.

• Options
    A sombre 7 miles this morning checking the roads for any traces of one of our cats, who has gone missing. No trace. Almost 48 hours now.